PDA

View Full Version : front calipers

nsx60
20-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Morning all
Do any of the guys on here have a set of front calipers you could sell me or point me in the right direction to buy some, Car has been into main dealer and had nearside one rebuilt once but it keeps intermittenly sticking on and causing a right racket , dealer has told me he can`t get them any more and to try a non honda product.

Any help much appreciated , car is a 92 model..

Festive regards

steve

Silver Surfer
20-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Try Kaz,

He may be able to get the parts to fix yours...

SS

vtecdirect
20-12-2009, 06:31 PM
I am pretty sure i can source refurbed nsx calipers, or new from japan.

AR
20-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Change the dealer!

Try Kaz for service and Andy for parts.

Kaz-kzukNA1
20-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Hi, Steve.

The basic of NSX Front brake is the same as most of other production cars. It’s not full floating type and the calliper body just slides with the two pins inserted to the bracket hole.
The parts being used are much easier to handle than the ones used on racing callipers that require frequent service.

How did you diagnose the nearside front calliper was sticky? Is it the same for cold/hot brake disk? It could be something else.

For now, I’ll presume that it is something to do with the calliper.

If the calliper was cleaned and overhauled properly with the new parts including the new pistons, then it is very unlikely that your pistons are sticking unless the dust boots were installed incorrectly.
If you look at the service log from the previous overhaul, you should be able to tell what kind of parts were replaced by the main dealer.

For your reference, these are the parts that I normally replace during the overhaul. If you regularly serviced your brake fluid and brake calliper, you should be able to re-use both pistons.

The calliper body itself is quite strong unless you applied excessive heat by track usage or let the rust get inside of the calliper housing and corroded the internal wall.

It is possible that the issue is not the calliper body but in fact the corrosion at the two slider pins. If the corrosion is too severe, you need to replace the slider pins and clean the holes on the bracket thoroughly. Unfortunately, Honda won’t supply just the bracket and you’ll end up buying the entire calliper body + the bracket so regular maintenance is recommended.

First is to find out what is causing the sticky brake. Pistons, slider pins or something else....

Replacing the calliper would be very expensive and I hope you can avoid it.

Regards,
Kaz

amo
20-12-2009, 07:34 PM
hi mate got a set of front calipers for sale as i have got ap 6 pots now

pm sent

thx amo

Minch
22-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Steve,

I have a pair of fronts off my 1992 NSX. They have been off the car and boxed away for the past couple of years. Nothing wrong with them but I swapped out all the brakes for 2002+ versions just to update the car a little. They had done around 90k miles when I took them off . . . PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
Nathan

nsx60
22-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys
Once again i am amazed by the knowledge on this site being as my mechanical knowledge extends to fuel , key and boot it , good job i drive a very reliable motor !

Minch , thanks but probably going to try and get newer as thats about the mileage of mine.
Amo , thanx , i`ll pm you.

Kaz , if only you were nearer ! I might ask a mate of mine with a trailer how much he would charge to fetch the car to you for a good and thorough inspection .

AR , dealer pretty good normally but thanks for the tips

vtec direct , i`ll bear that in mind

silver surfer , another kaz fan , thanks for that.

Enjoy the festive season everyone , nsx 60 will be garaged until better weather comes , don`t be risking those lovely cars on these icy roads ,

regards

steve