PDA

View Full Version : NSX any good as a trackday car?

futurespec
15-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Anyone with any experience of the NSX as a trackday car?

My first thoughts are with tyres .... they wear fast enough anyway but what are they like on the track?

Any particular tyre most suited to trackdays?

What mods to suspension and brakes are advised?

In my previous post I asked about rim sizes ..... for track use any suggestions?

If the 'incorrect' ratio rims (front to rear) are used would this have any adverse longterm effect on the TCS or ABS systems..... (sorry I am not a techie so do not understand the implications!)

TIA

simonprelude
15-12-2009, 12:08 PM
If the 'incorrect' ratio rims (front to rear) are used would this have any adverse longterm effect on the TCS or ABS systems..... (sorry I am not a techie so do not understand the implications!)

It's common to switch TCS off on track anyway.

markc
15-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Anyone with any experience of the NSX as a trackday car?

Dedicated or occassional?

As the saying goes "I wouldn't start from here if I were you" :)

However some brave souls have, check here... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/forumdisplay.php?f=24
and here...
http://www.projectnsx.co.uk/

Also, check the posts made by "forumadmin" and "modarr" our resident, or formerly so, track day experts.

In general they're expensive to turn into dedicated track day cars due to their low volume and limited aftermarket parts availability.

As an occasional track day car they're reliable and reasonably effective. They are quite soft by modern standards so roll is quite pronounced and brakes are marginal but OK as long as you come in for a rest after 15-20mins.

The extra grip afforded by track tyres, Toyo R888's etc, will kill the brakes all the more quickly.

Cheers

Mark

NSX 2000
15-12-2009, 05:09 PM
My first thoughts are with tyres .... they wear fast enough anyway but what are they like on the track?

Any particular tyre most suited to trackdays?

TIA

Why do you think tyres wear out fast?

IIRC this was only a problem with NA1 cars on OEM tyres, as you can't get OEM tyres any more I don't think this is a problem any more. But this all depends on how hard and how many burn outs you do:D

AR
15-12-2009, 07:03 PM
The extra grip afforded by track tyres, Toyo R888's etc, will kill the brakes all the more quickly.

Cheers

Mark

It can also kill the engine, unless using a baffle sump.

futurespec
16-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks for info guys.......

It sounds as though it would not be such a great idea after all.

Thought that brakes might be an issue! Also baffled sump presumably essential.

Hadn't thought about the excessive roll until I read a thread or 2 on the NSXprime site.

I assume that once you get semi-keen then a rollcage becomes essential .... and the costs start to increase.

Tyre wear ....... all early info about NSX's suggested this....... glad to hear not such a problem anymore.

Out of interest what do you reckon to get mileage wise from a set of road tyres (road use only).

NSXGB
16-12-2009, 08:33 PM

Hadn't thought about the excessive roll until I read a thread or 2 on the NSXprime site.

I assume that once you get semi-keen then a rollcage becomes essential .... and the costs start to increase.

Tyre wear ....... all early info about NSX's suggested this....... glad to hear not such a problem anymore.

Out of interest what do you reckon to get mileage wise from a set of road tyres (road use only).

Body roll can be sorted for a few hundred quid....

Tyres can last maybe 6k if you get the toe set to the later less aggressive setting.

Like anything, it all depends how serious you want to get.

markc
16-12-2009, 08:38 PM

You haven't said whether it'd be a dedicated track day car or not? If not dedicated, how regularly would you attend track days?

None of the things we pointed out would be a problem if you are only doing a couple of track days a year, certainly neither better brakes or a baffled sump are "essential". The bodyshell is very stiff so no roll cage needed unless you want to compete and the rules require it.

Cheers

Mark

TheSebringOne
16-12-2009, 08:40 PM
In what year was the toe set up less aggressive? Thanks

m666 edd
16-12-2009, 09:43 PM
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year#Changes_for_1993

It's under MY1993

Senninha
17-12-2009, 08:36 AM

My last set of Goodyear F1's saw me past 20k, albeit the rears were semi slicks by then :), the fronts still had 3.5mm

This use included trip to LeMans, N'Ring, and track runs ...

As said, if only occasional use on track then providing you rest after 15-20 mins running you can use the NSX as it is and still be having a good time. Track days are not about setting times IMO so I would be happy with the OEM (ish) set up.

simonprelude
17-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Track days are about setting times IMO so I would be happy with the OEM (ish) set up.

I think you missed the word not out there Paul.

With the standard brakes you will need to ensure the hoses are still in good condition and the fluid is changed regularly, my advice would be replace the hoses and upgrade discs and pads.

NSX 2000
17-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I think you missed the word not out there Paul.

With the standard brakes you will need to ensure the hoses are still in good condition and the fluid is changed regularly, my advice would be replace the hoses and upgrade discs and pads.

The above would apply to any car which is not a "track day car" (such as radicals and KTM's) but even these a good mechanic would recommend you do the above basic checks after evrey track day.

futurespec
22-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Ok so it looks as though the NSX may be in play after all!

(Senninha) Amazed that you got 20k miles out of a set of tyres .... sounds as though you are a very careful driver? How much are those F1s ?

So the answer is to go out there and have fun ... sounds good :)

More tempted by the day as I love the NSX as a daily driver.

Straying slightly now .... is there any real advantage to the 3.2 engine and if so what is needed to change the 3.0 ... is it just pistons?

Happy Christmas & New Year to you all.

AR
22-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Different engine altogether, the 3.0 with good headers and a freeflowing exhaust will give you close to 300 BHP.

markc
22-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Different engine altogether...

More of a variation on an original theme, read all about it here... http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/1997_Powertrain

The biggest difference is probably that it is mated to the 6spd gearbox that does a better job of spreading the power and torque over the available performance envelope.

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
22-12-2009, 04:06 PM
........(Senninha) Amazed that you got 20k miles out of a set of tyres .... sounds as though you are a very careful driver? How much are those F1s ?.........

If carefull equals smooth driving style then I'll accept that as a compliment :)
The F1's where very well worn on the rears but the fronts still offered 3-4mm.

I'm now running on the HanKook Evo12's and very impressed. SOme find the F1's a bit soft, especially on the coupe whereas they worked well on my Targa. The Evo's are slightly stiffer and give a bit more front end feel.

regrds, Paul

NoelWatson
26-12-2009, 10:08 AM
In the Autocar 2002 handling test, the NSX was mentioned for eating its tyres. It came 5th, beating the 996, and was marked down for going sideways quite quickly when the TCS was off, brakes and steering feel.

Personally I'm still tempted to blow 13k on a Clio Cup and do a number of trackdays. Will use NSX for airfield days (Carlimits etc).