PDA

View Full Version : Which 911 and why...?

Senninha
09-12-2009, 09:04 PM
I have only ever been a passenger in a 911. It was a well sorted C2S with the GT3 aero kit and alloys and looked great in dark blue. It felt comparably quick next to the NSX and the owner commented with similar respect.

So with that said I confess to not understanding the range other than the 4 being the 4wd option and this is now std on the turbo. GT2/3 are the track ones I believe.

Following James recent acquisition I'm asking, why would you buy the rwd option when for similar money you can get the 4wd turbo? I think that everytime they release a new turbo it gets honoured as the best cross country car.

I know there are a few ex-owners / drivers here so I would be interested to learn which model and why?

regards, Paul

Sudesh
09-12-2009, 09:34 PM
C2S would be the 993 shape which in my opinion is one of the best shapes and being a C2S has the turbo body, the 996 is the next version and then 997

The "S" cars are turbo bodied and the 4s in the 996 is a lovely car. My bro drives a 996 Carrera 2 but has been thining of moving to a 4s or Turbo.

With the "s" cars you get much the same car as the turbo minus the huge power and bills, I personally prefer the "s" cars as I dont like the huge wail tail and vents on the lovely shaped wide rear.

GT2 and GT3 can also be used on the road, GT2 is very raw and harsh though.

Alot though depends on which chassis of 911 your talking about, chassis being 993, 996, 997

I have only ever been a passenger in a 911. It was a well sorted C2S with the GT3 aero kit and alloys and looked great in dark blue. It felt comparably quick next to the NSX and the owner commented with similar respect.

So with that said I confess to not understanding the range other than the 4 being the 4wd option and this is now std on the turbo. GT2/3 are the track ones I believe.

Following James recent acquisition I'm asking, why would you buy the rwd option when for similar money you can get the 4wd turbo? I think that everytime they release a new turbo it gets honoured as the best cross country car.

I know there are a few ex-owners / drivers here so I would be interested to learn which model and why?

regards, Paul

Sudesh
09-12-2009, 09:43 PM
This is my favourite 911/964 Turbo, same car as in thefirst Bad Boys movie

http://www.autocult.com.au/img/gallery/full/turismo2.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t241/kev180ie/964.jpg

AR
09-12-2009, 11:40 PM
In my case for nostalgia, looks and performance to a point:

http://www.themotoringjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/dsc_0380.jpg

To substitute my current NSX:

http://mortalc01l.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p846796128.jpg

Cheers,

AR

Silver Surfer
10-12-2009, 12:41 AM
This is my favourite 911/964 Turbo, same car as in thefirst Bad Boys movie

http://www.autocult.com.au/img/gallery/full/turismo2.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t241/kev180ie/964.jpg

No Cup holders!!!

SS

Sudesh
10-12-2009, 01:06 AM
No Cup holders!!!

SS

lol!! Remember that:)

Just like the NSX, not needed and shouldnt be drinking in it anyway.

Papalazarou
10-12-2009, 08:57 AM
I chose a C2S largely because I like rear wheel drive. I'm sure the 4S would have been more sure footed. But early experiences of this car tell me that you've got to install the brain if you're going to use it. The NSX feels like a very well osrted pussycat in comparison.
The alarming thing is that the 997 incarnation of the C2 is supposed to be the most sorted of the 2wd 911's and it still feels lie it deserves a lot of respect. Makes me wonder what the 911's of old were like?!!!!
Anyway, in partial answer to Paul's question; I didn't buy a 996 turbo because they have lots of things to go wrong and there's a pretty good chance many of these things will happen to a 6-7 year old car.

Additionally, I much prefer the look of the 997 to the 996.
The reason I didn't buy a 996 GT3 was that when I though about it I couldnt' really afford to track it regularly and it was too harsh for my local roads. Reminds me of an aquaintance who bought the bike of his dreams, a 748 Ducati and couldn't use it on the North Devon coastal road because the bike was just too track focussed.

I'd considered a 993 at some jucture. perhaps the best looking 911, but I wanted something newer than the NSX and the 993 was a serious backward step imo.

Cheers,

James.

markc
10-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Good question...

It largely depends on what your use is going to be. Mine would be occasional i.e. nice (dry) days, special journeys (car shows etc), 1-2 track days per year and the odd euro trip/tour.

To directly replace my current NSX I'd take a 997GT3. Specifically not the GT3RS and no Clubsport option for me, although I would spec the sports seats. Obviously it would be orange :)

I could also be tempted by a 996GT3 either Mk 1 or Mk2 as they're cheaper that the current car and do much the same things only with a significantly harsher ride. The other reason I'd go GT3 is depreciation, GT3's seem to depreciate much slower than regular Carrera's so if your going to keep them any length of time they're the safer financial bet.

W.r.t 4wd, like Papa I'd leave it off my spec for reasons of interaction and "feel".
One of my friend/colleagues has a 996C4S (Tip) and we've been to a couple of track days together. It is fast (as fast as mine), smooth and comfortable and the tiptronic 'box works surprisingly well on track BUT it is not very exciting.
Sudesh, there is such as thing as 996C2S as well as the 997C2S (which Papa has). I tried a 997C2S (manual) at a Porsche GB day at Millbrook test facility and it was nice but VERY soft after the 997GT2 I'd driven a few minutes earlier. Given that comparison it is, in my opinion, a long way from the GT3.
I've read articles where even professionals (journo's & race drivers) are hard pressed to tell the difference between 996/997 C2S and C4S from behind the wheel with PSM on!

With the exception of GT2 models, all Turbo's have been 4wd since the 1994 993T. All are ballistically fast, another league or even 2 over the NSX ,and easy, comfortable daily drives. Not what I want from my weekend ride.

I could be tempted by a 997GT2, I got to try one at Millbrook courtesy of Porsche Centre Guildford, which is easily the fastest car I've ever driven, but I suspect the 997GT3 while not as fast would be even sharper... as well as half the price!

Now, if we look further back...

I'd love another 993. My ideal choice would be a Guards Red 993RS (non clubsport 'cos I think the bigger wings look silly). There were only about 150 built in RHD though so prices are daft, £60K for a LHD and £80K+ for a RHD.
Given those prices I could manage with a 1996 993C2 with Sport seats, Sports suspension, ALB (LSD), 3.8 engine (it was an option but VERY rarely spec'd) and RS body kit. It's important that you get a 1996 model as that gives you the more powerful Varioram engine and, just as importantly, regular gearing as the 1997 cars had USA/Swiss spec taller gearing which almost ruins the car. I suspect you'd still have to pay £35K+ for this car.
In 993 land the C2S is the donkey of the range, spec'd up for more show than go. The C4S is the 993 to go for if you want the widebody looks without the Turbo running costs. Make it a 1996 model for the same reason as above.

Going back further I agree with Sudesh re the 965T. I'd go for the later 3.6Ltr car, with 380hp from a still laggy turbo engine and rwd it was the last of the properly scary standard 911's. You'll have to pay £60K for a good one of these!

The only other 911 I hanker for, assuming special editions like the 2.7RS are out of bounds, is a pre-impact bumper 2.2 or 2.4S circa 1970-72. These babies are fetching £50K+

Not that I've thought about it of course :)

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
10-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Mark,

How does something like this fair then?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/385099.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1384502.htm

I've always loved the look of these early 911 ... but could now have with modern chassis etc?

Would this 'scratch' your pre-impact itch, or been seen as an impurity of the marque and not welcome?

It works for me as to my un-trained eye, most modern 911's look the same save for the GT models.

Interesting feedback on the Turbo model guys. I thought these and all 911's were quite bullet proof and resilient to mileage, but your comments suggest otherwise ... shows what little I know about these cars.

One other thought that you've probably seen coming. The Targa. Frowned or loved? Does it attract the same 'discussions' as it does here?

ThanX for the feedback

regards, Paul

Good question...

............The only other 911 I hanker for, assuming special editions like the 2.7RS are out of bounds, is a pre-impact bumper 2.2 or 2.4S circa 1970-72. These babies are fetching £50K+

Not that I've thought about it of course :)

Cheers

Mark

markc
10-12-2009, 08:10 PM
How does something like this fair then?

Yes, there are few companies (Singer, Autofarm etc) doing those recreations. I do like them but they miss the point for me. I'd quite like to do some of the classic road rally/tours like the Tour Auto and Classic Monte Carlo some day and an early 911 both meets the entry qualification and would work well.

Interesting feedback on the Turbo model guys. I thought these and all 911's were quite bullet proof and resilient to mileage, but your comments suggest otherwise ... shows what little I know about these cars.

I wasn't saying they're unreliable but they are more expensive than non turbos on routine servicing, and the sheer stomp they're capable of wears the even more expensive brakes and tyres etc more quickly. It soon adds up to lots more outlay.

One other thought that you've probably seen coming. The Targa. Frowned or loved? Does it attract the same 'discussions' as it does here?

Yep, generates similar discussion :)

Again, I quite like them but they are heavier and little less rigid and therefore not the purists choice. Ohh and none of them carry the signature 911 rear side window/roof line.

The 993 Targa is cool with probably the first all glass electrically operated roof system but these can squeak and are PITA to correct (set-up and align) and Porsche specifically recommend that you don't fit 18" wheels that are options on all other 993's as the extra weight and grip can stress the chassis and steering rack. They were quite popular in their day possibly because the 993 Cab was a bit of a minger, particularly hood down.

The 997 Targa is a similar design but you rarely see them, possibly because the new cabrio's are better looking. Not that I'd ever entertain a 911 cab of any variation.

I would definitely settle for my 1972 2.4S being a Targa if it saved £10K or so. All hypothetical for the foreseeable future :(

Cheers

Mark

Dave J
11-12-2009, 07:23 AM
I've had a couple of 996's this year but my favorite by far was my 996 Turbo. I had it remapped straight away and it was a superb car in all respects! I went for the tiptronic box as the manual box seemed 'clumpy' and not the nicest to drive, i will definately buy another one soon :D.
Just be carefull what you buy as there are lots of dogs kicking about now as the price has become more accessable to the masses. Turbo service costs can be high so find a car you like then get it inspected if you are not too clued up as this can save you many ££££££££
Dave