PDA

View Full Version : Newbie saying hello

SimonD
02-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi all

Well maybe "newbie" is stretching it a bit, I did register on the forum 12 months ago ! It's about time I posted !

I guess I'd never seen an NSX close up in the flesh until I saw what I later discovered to be some NSXCB members cars at one of the Goodwood Breakfast Club meets late last year. One of the owners told me about the forum and when I got home I think I spent most of that evening reading through various posts on the forum !

Well 12 months down the line and having considered and discounted various other cars I'm now seriously considering an NSX, probably an earlier model. Nothing else seems to give the same mix of technical excellance and driving experience.

I've already driven one potential purchase (quite an experiance !) so might be back later with a few questions.

All the best :)

Simon

AR
02-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Welcome and ask away! :) We will do our best to give you our best "unbiased" opinion!

SimonD
02-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks, here goes !

What sort of oil pressure should I see on the dials from a cold start ? and what should it be when warm at tickover and when giving it the beans ?

One other thing, is it normal to feel any kind of resonance from the engine whilst at fast tickover (1500 rpm ?) warming up from cold. I could feel it when sat in the car but when touching the rocker cover I could'nt feel anything sinister, sounded pretty quiet considering all those valves !

Cheers

Simon

Sudesh
02-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Welcome to the club!

A few NSX I worked on had different pressure readings. The guages can go faulty on these cars and the oil pressure sender, I also read that using different oils can cause the readings to vary.

Heres a link with some info: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/oilpressure.htm

AR
02-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Simon, regarding resonance what sort of intake, exhaust on the car?

How long since the last valve clearance check/adjustment?

Cheers,

AR

SimonD
02-12-2009, 10:29 PM
AR, The car has standard intake, large bore sports exhaust, cat bypass pipes as well. I felt the resonance when sat in the car and it was started from cold. Could just be when cold and running rich at fast idle.

To be honest I did'nt really notice it when driving or at tickover when warm, I think I was buzzing myself from the drive ! No undue noises under load.

No idea when clearances checked, full Honda history so assume done on schedule. Maybe I'm being paranoid !

Sudesh, thanks for the Prime link, a real mine of information on there. I was reading the DIY timing belt change on Prime earlier, hmm.... I like a challenge !

Cheers

Simon