PDA

View Full Version : Battery Charger/Conditioner

Kaz-kzukNA1
30-11-2009, 06:41 PM
As I received same question from several people, I thought it would be a good idea to share the same information here.

I’m quite sure some of the members are already using the same/similar products but if you don’t drive your car regularly especially during the winter period, then it is a good idea to use a battery charger/conditioner as long as your battery is not already damaged.

I used to use the expensive one through my business but for private usage, I use AccuMate 6V/12V.

It’s about GBP40.00+VAT and you can find it on several auction sites or through accumate.co.uk.

It comes with 2 different battery connection leads.
One with crocodile clips for quick connection and the other one with eyelet lugs for permanent attachment to the battery post. It also has fuse block and rubber protective capsule on the connector to the charger.

Once connected, you can leave it even for a few months.
6405 6406

--------- Charging --------------------- Charged -------

The good thing about this charger is that it can handle the ‘Gel’ or ‘Glass Mat’ type batteries.

You can’t re-charge these batteries using standard charger and even if you managed to jump start your car fitted with this type of battery, your ACG won’t be able to charge it even after driving the car for several hours.
As soon as you stop the engine, you won’t be able to start it again.

These batteries are completely different from the standard wet cell battery.

As it is getting colder now and your battery will be working very hard during the winter, I hope this information will help you.

Regards,
Kaz

Senninha
30-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I've been using the Honda branded version and had no issues. The NSX is always parked with the alarm primed, both for security and to produce some drain on the battery.

I've hard wired mine and have extended & routed the cables up and under the plastic cover around the wipers. The plug in connector is tucked away near the back of the bonnet to allow connection to the charger with the vehicle all secure.

If I get chance in the week I will post photo's for all to share, in addition to the info from Kaz.

regards, Paul

DamianW
01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Used to use an Optimate charger on mine, seemed to work fine. Very useful particularly in winter when the car doesn't get used much.

indi pearl
01-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Optimate for me allso. I found that 4 weeks standing, with the alarm "on" would drain the battery completly. I have hard wired the battery running the wire inside the front compartment with the conector plug tucked behind the registration plate. No more trouble for last 2 winters.

TheSebringOne
02-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Kaz, how do you rate trickle chargers? I have Draper one and have no problems at all in 3-4 years.

Senninha
03-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Kaz, how do you rate trickle chargers? I have Draper one and have no problems at all in 3-4 years.

Has it ever been disconnected?? ;):laugh:

Hagasan
03-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Has it ever been disconnected?? ;):laugh:

So it's entirely possible for this cars biggest impact on the enviroment to be when parked up than at any other time in it's life???:laugh:

markc
03-12-2009, 10:24 AM
I use the cheapo Halfords Battery Maintenance Charger (£23.99), which is actually an automatic, multi mode conditioner. In fact I have 3 of them, one for the NSX, one for the CX (Citroen) and one for the Westfield.

In the case of the NSX and CX they're wired in, similar to what indi pearl has done.

I've had 2 of these for several years and the batteries, and therefore cars, are always ready to go at a moments notice... on the increasingly rare moments I seem to use them.

Cheers

Mark

NSXGB
04-12-2009, 08:03 AM
I use the old fashioned technique of driving the car regularly :) never had a flat battery in 6.5 years and still on the same one. . .

Chris B N
04-12-2009, 04:43 PM
can't fault regular use every 7-10 days, charge doesn't take long
with an alternator, not like the old Mini days on a dynamo.
The best part of course it's far more fun than pushing a plug into a 13 amp socket on the garage wall:)

Sudesh
14-12-2009, 01:13 PM

I use a draper system and never had any issues.

Heres mine

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/000_0035.jpg

Kaz-kzukNA1
15-12-2009, 12:53 PM

It all depends on several conditions such as the spec of your battery, the number of battery to be charged/conditioned at the same time, the size/weight limit if you need to travel all over the world, the price, additional spec of the charger and so on.

For example, if your battery was completely drained (like below 1.0V) or sulphated, you may require special charger that can de-sulphate the internal cell to recover the performance. Normally, this type of charger will cost you a lot (in the order of 100s, I guess).

If you use AGM or Gel type battery and if you drained it too much (like to the level where you can’t start the engine), then your ACG won’t be able to charge it efficiently even you managed to jump start your NSX. You can keep running your NSX but as soon as you shut down the engine, you won't be able to re-start again.

As mentioned in my original post, these type of battery requires different approach compared to the ones sold at Honda garage or Ha**ords.
Most of the latest charger should be able to handle these type of batteries.

Some times, you need to charge many batteries at the same time and also you may need to send the batteries and chargers overseas through air cargo. Due to the aviation regulation and weight/size limit, you must use specific battery type and it would be best to get small/lightweight chargers to save the freight cost but capable of handling 4 or more batteries in one go.
You may think it is best to buy the battery at the destination country but sometimes, it could be really expensive…

For most of us with standard battery without using AGM/Gel type, most of the charger on the market would be fine. I use AGM one on MX-5 and thinking of getting Odyssey battery for my NSX in the future and considering the price/feature/experience, I went for the specific charger for this type of battery.

Hoep this will help.

Regards,
Kaz

NSX100
04-01-2010, 01:58 PM
My NSX is fitted with a Clifford 600 security system which seems to have the sole purpose of draining my battery. Since my car is parked in the underground garage of my apartment block there is no power socket at the parking space and a trickle charger is not a option. Twice now, most recently yesterday, I have left the car undriven for 10 days and returned to find the car dead. With no power I cannot get into the car to open the hood to get at the battery - brilliant.

Has anyone any experience with these systems? Fortunately, I have a Sextons literally next door and their suggestion is to rip it out and replace it with a modern, simpler system that will not drain my battery. Since the Clifford is way more complex than I would ever need it is an attractive idea. However, at 400 quid I am interested in any comments first.

Thanks and Happy 2010 to everyone.

David

TheSebringOne
04-01-2010, 06:59 PM
You can still use the keys to open the doors manually and the switches/levers for the bonnet & glass hatch is manually operated if I'm not mistaken, so no power source required?

Not sure about changing the entire alarm/immobiliser tho?

havoc
04-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I've just bought a CTEK charger/conditioner, and it's both simple and effective to use - recovered a drained battery in ~24hours. Comes with both crocodile-clips and a pair of 'rings' which you can permanently attach to your battery terminals. Both options terminate at a small 'plug', which connects to the 'male' end of the lead coming out of the unit. You can also buy a cigar-lighter terminal as well. Main unit is only about 8in x 3in x 2in, so could probably be tucked-up somewhere in the front-compartment permanently...

NSX-100 - not sure what to suggest in your position, other than running it for 20 minutes every week, which is far from ideal, I know. Is the garage/power situation for you a long-term thing, or just temporary?

If your battery is getting fully drained in just 2 weeks (i.e. not even enough to activate the r/c/l), then you probably need a new battery (only £40+VAT from Honda, took me ~15-20 minutes to swap-over, and I'm not the most talented with spanners). It does sound like the Clifford is a power-hound though, so for long-term peace of mind (if you can't solve the power-supply issue) it might be worth getting a different system.

Edit: This thread might be of use...
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=627318&mid=37809&nmt=What%20Jump%20Starter%20/%20Battery%20Booster?

Sudesh
04-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I agree that you may need a new battery. The clifford should not be draining your system if fitted correctly. A recent NSX I was working on had the OEM Honda Alarm system fitted from 1992, and it sat for a few weeks locked and started with no problems. Has your car any other aftermarket upgrades?

NSX100
05-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Strangely, the key will not open the doors. That was the first thing I tried but I did not want to force anything. Perhaps the locks are stiff because they have not been opened with the keys only the remote. The boot is fine but not the doors. I'll try again.

The battery is apparently less than 2 years old which I would have thought would mean it is in pretty good condition. The previous owner kept the car in his private garage unlocked so did not have this problem. One (cheap) option would be to have a second battery and swap them over when one drains since for the foreseeable future the car will not have access to a power point at its current parking space. What's the best battery - any Honda dealer?

There are no other after-market add-ons that I know of -the Clifford was fitted by the first owner 9 years ago.

David

havoc
05-01-2010, 10:46 PM
2nd battery may well be the cheapest route in the short- to medium-term, but not long-term - the continued draining/recharging won't do their lifespan any good at all.

Strangely, the key will not open the doors. That was the first thing I tried but I did not want to force anything. Perhaps the locks are stiff because they have not been opened with the keys only the remote. The boot is fine but not the doors. I'll try again.

Shouldn't make any difference - if the key (definitely) doesn't work then it's the wrong key!

Do you know if the car's had any repair work in it's past? Either to rear-end or to one door or the other? If so, then it's quite possible one or more locks were replaced and for some reason the other(s) weren't, and yet the key for the boot was the one retained...
(Yes, it sounds odd, but not sure what else would explain it)

NSX100
06-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I did get both doors open with the key but the locks seem stiff - on the remote (when it works of course) there is no problem at all. Anyway, thanks for the advice. The cheapest initial option would be to get the portable charger fom Hafords or their ilk - at least that will keep me going until I determine if it is the battery that is bad or the Clifford system that needs tearing out.