PDA

View Full Version : Transcontinental express

Driver Matt
29-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Have just got back from a one week, 3,200 mile round trip to Patras Greece and back.
Never missed a beat and great fun but glad to be back to the pipe and slippers :)
Queuing at airports seems more tolerable now.

AR
29-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Great pictures, I was under the impression that the NSX travels better with the in the high compartments due to the low ramp angle.

How fast??? :)

Cheers,

AR

Driver Matt
29-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Ramp on the train was not a problem. The speed humps at the Chunnel are jarring though.
Averaged between 90 - 100, managed 800 miles on first day and around 600 on most others. Had two days in Patras on business so 3,200 miles in 5 1/2 days.
Took my boy as navigator, he was disappointed that we did not see one other mid engined car in the whole length of France or Italy.
Nose shot is of Mont Blanc, fantastic tunnels and bridges leading up to it.

SILVER BULLET
29-11-2009, 05:26 PM
What a great way to get to Greece,you just covered my annual (NSX) mileage in one trip.Thanks for sharing the photo's,looks like the weather was slightly better than we were having. Nice to see that we have another owner in the west country,Cheers,Ian

Driver Matt
29-11-2009, 05:29 PM
The further south the better the weather.
23˚C in Greece, unbelievable rain back here in Blighty.
Thought you might enjoy a quick blast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58a5Abx_MVk

Senninha
29-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Looks like you'll have to go back to look for the missing plate ;)

Love the MB photo ....

regards, Paul

Update - I note from a later post you have a stick on plate ....

markc
01-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Epic mileage in 5 days Matt :)

Fancy writing up the trip detail i.e. route etc? It'd be a good addition to the members articles.

Where did you get the ferry from in Italy, up North (Venice/Ancona) or did you drive down South (Bari/Brindisi)?

W.R.T the Chunnel trains, if you're worried about ramp angle or width, ask nicely and they'll put you in with the vans and coaches where the vehicle track is wider so that you don't risk damaging your alloys. Not really a problem for most of us but maybe worth bearing in mind if you have expensive alloys and extra low profile tyres.

Cheers

Mark

Driver Matt
01-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Hi Guys,
Trip was:
Day 1 Leave Somerset at 4am, 180 miles to Folkstone, catch 6-20am train.
Eat on the move, route via Reims, Metz, Strasbourg, Basel, San Gotthard Tunnel, stayed just in Italy at Varese after heating debate on the legality of a stick on number plate. 800 mile day !
Day 2 Press on via, Milan, Rimini, Ancona and Amalfi coast to Vasto. Satyed in an expensive business hotel as all others were closed for the winter.
Day 3 Vasto to Brindisi. Made HUGE mistake of driving into Brindisi city centre. No road rules and all cars dented. Would have to say we were the only supercar in Brindisi. Everybody stopped and looked.
Caught the 5-30 ferry to Patras. Can't recommend Endevour Ferry lines, old dodgy ferries.
Day 4 Boat arrived at 10am next morning. Local driving to hotel . Much better class of car in Greece.
Day 5 More work !! Caught 6pm ferry, even worse than the first. Had terrible feeling it would not complete the trip.
Day 6 Ferry arrives 2 hours late in Brindisi and then takes over 1.5 hours to unload striaght into a non-moving queue for customs. After 10 minutes pulled out, drove to front of queue and explained that I had more to do in life than wait for Italian police to do something. Strangely enough we werer waved through and then hoofed it out of Brindis at maximum attack. A series of dual carriage ways and roundabouts. Funny how several hours of pissing about can inspire a spirirted escape. Made it to Piacenza and a homely pasta dinner.
Day 7 Piacenza to Reims via Monte Bianco. Aosta valley was fantastic, perfect weather, no traffic, tunnels, bridges, sweeping bends.
Peage all the way. Tolls really mount up. About €70 for France.
Funny how France is wasted on the French. Empty roads every where, everyday.
Day 8 Reims to Calais, haggled to catch an train 6 hours earlier than booked. So much better than the ferry. Arrived in Blighty to speed cameras, rain and SPECS controlled roadworks. Turned into drive at home at 1-30pm for lunch.
Not sure I'd do it again next week and would suggest that 400miles a day is more relaxing.

Senninha
01-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Hi Matt,

Several days of continental driving in an NSX are always a pleasure. Reading your summary makes me want to go back again soon!

regerds, Paul

NSX 2000
02-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Hi Matt,

Several days of continental driving in an NSX are always a pleasure. Reading your summary makes me want to go back again soon!

regerds, Paul

Paul we should go back to Germany:D
Paul.

Senninha
02-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Paul we should go back to Germany:D
Paul.

Not sure I'll be able to next yr, what with the wedding and the possible Japan trip ....