PDA

View Full Version : Searching for 'my' Holy Grail........

Richy
26-11-2009, 01:16 AM
After owning and loving a 2002 NSX, my job took me to Canada.
Now I am back in the UK and trying to find a 2003 NSX-R.
I know they are harder to find than chickens teeth but can anyone help ?

I have checked various Japanese auctions but found nothing.
How many are already in the UK and would they sell ??

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lankstarr
26-11-2009, 06:59 AM
There's one, 100k should secure ( no joke) search the forum for posts about it; u should find some contact details.

L*

Senninha
26-11-2009, 08:59 AM
http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/bHO/s043/index.html

Here you go Richy,

If, and only if you're prepared to pay the 'asking' price of an NSX-R, then for the money Lankstarr has mentioned you would want one of these and not the UK one IMO.

If these are too rich, then use this link

http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/bHO/s042/index.html

to search for the facelift Type S models that will be from around half the R price for pop-up NA2 but probably better suited to UK roads and equally as rare here!

regards, Paul

Sudesh
26-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi and welcome!

The NSX-R question seems to be asked quite a bit and a few have come along searching for the "holy grail" but when they realise the price they disappear lol.

Take a look at this most recent thread:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=7074

Which will give you some idea or NSX-R prices.

I would expect to pay over £100k for a 2003 NSX-R

If its low miles and pristine, then you could be looking at £130,000 plus

For example, on the link Paul left, there is a 2003 R with 34,000miles, that car would be around £103,000 landed here and then you have to some how get it through ESVA and have a model report created as there wasnt one made for the NSX-R.

Then look at the 2002 NSX-R in the same link, only 17,000miles that car would be around £136,000 landed here and again you have the ESVA to do and model report.

Also the NSX-R had a few different options in Japan so that will affect price, like the very expensive carbon trim or NAV and so on.

What you could opt for is a Type-S, you want one that's just turned 10years old, so for example, if your buying in January 2010 go for a January 1999 Types-S and so forth; All you need is MOT to get it on the road here.

AR
26-11-2009, 11:29 AM
For that money you'll be better off with an 02 plus NSX with as many R goodies as you can stretch it.

The 02 + NSX-R makes no sense if you are going to drive it, and if you are not going to drive it, does it really make sense. :)

02 plus NSX 35K
Comptech Suspension and bars 3k
CTSC and gauges 10K
Recaro kevlar seats and R rails 4K
R bonnet 2 - 3 K
R spoiler 1K
R diffuser 1 k
R undertrays 1.5 K
BBK 4K

Prices above are more than the goiing rate to allow for install etc. Cosmetic parts are not real R.

You will end up with a car that is a lot cheaper than the 02 R and a LOT faster, handle better stop quicker!

Richy
27-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks to you all for the help and pointers.

I was not expecting to have to pay more than 100k for a good example.

How do you guys decode the Japanese text on the auction sites etc ?

Richy

Sudesh
27-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Richy

£100k from my sources, is the minium you will pay! and thats if your lucky to find it! But you have to remember that even after paying £100k+++ you will need to get the car SVA/ESVA and as far as I'm aware, there has never been a model report created to put the NSX-R through SVA/ESVA.

Standard 2002/2003 facelift NSX's from Japan would be £70/£80 landed here depending on miles and condition and 04/05 cars would be £100k++

Senninha
27-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Richy

Google translation is pretty good ...

ian dc5
20-12-2009, 08:50 AM
The Yen to GBP is killing imports, when I imported it was 220:1 now it is 160:1 makes it so much more expensive.

The only thing you need to do with a 10 year old car ir get the limited taken off, 112mph if you dont.

simonprelude
20-12-2009, 09:27 AM
The only thing you need to do with a 10 year old car ir get the limiter taken off, 112mph if you dont.

..........and fit a rear fog light.

Sudesh
20-12-2009, 11:43 AM
To do the job correctly you want to fit a KM/H to MPH converter, fitting the correct one will take out the 112mph limiter and obvously the car will read in MPH then, fit a rear fog light, I would not drill into the bumper or bolt on the silly looking one that attaches to the bottom of the bumper, just convert the drivers side reverse light. I have a very neat install on mine that lets me swap the reverse light for a fog light at any time, it does not affect the "bulb out" warning light on the speedo cluster either.

Also the radio either needs swpped out for a UK one so you get the correct channels and it reads correctly, either that or you add a "band expander" to the JDM radio. In Japan radios are made to receive in the 76Mhz to 90Mhz band, but in other countries you need as much as 108Mhz, so by fitting the band expander you receive the UK FM channels but this means your stations read differently, for example, if you want 98.3FM you have to put in 86.3 if using a 12mhz unit. Japanese radios dont have RDS either.

Here in N.Ireland another rule for MOT is that, the speedo must have a dual display ie MPH & KM/H.

Hairy_Potr
21-12-2009, 04:40 AM
;-) :)

I have been contemplating getting an 02+ NSX-R for several years, too, so I'm anxious to hear how your grail quest pans out. Unfortunately, I'm currently in the States -a market to which they were never exported- so even if I can find a decent one, I will need to store it at one of your homes in the UK (and it will need to be regularly driven too ;) )

NSX 2000
21-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I will need to store it at one of your homes in the UK (and it will need to be regularly driven too ;) )

I believe you :rolleyes: millons wouldn't:no:

Senninha
21-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Well if your signature is accurate then you already own a very special and rare NSX .... any more details you care to share?

And welcome to NSXCB .... an interesting first post!

regards, Paul

Hairy_Potr
22-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Well if your signature is accurate then you already own a very special and rare NSX .... any more details you care to share?

And welcome to NSXCB .... an interesting first post!

regards, Paul

Well, I wish my NSX was particularly rare, but it isn't. It's rare in being one of the last VINs/models, but is nearly identical to the others like it produced en masse. I have another sportscar that is rare as hell, but I'd rather not get into it here. I'm an NSX guy, through and through.

AR
22-12-2009, 02:29 AM
Are you the one I am thinking off? :)

Senninha
22-12-2009, 08:56 AM
.........It's rare in being one of the last VINs/models, but is nearly identical to the 2002-2004 Silverstones produced en masse. ..........

Hopefully with black or dark grey trim rather than the blue that so many late silver's had?

The R is usually the one that people focus in on. However, more obtainable (if there's such a word) would be the Type S, and its available pre and post 02 design.

My other loves your forum name BTW, as she is a huge Harry Potter fan!

Regards,

Paul

Hairy_Potr
22-12-2009, 05:16 PM
I believe you :rolleyes: millons wouldn't:no:

Please don't take offense to this, but this quote is a *perfect* response to Ary's question. I certainly hope he isn't thinking of "off-ing" me though! Just kidding my friend. :)

Hairy_Potr
22-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Back to our regularly scheduled NSX programming. :)

AR
22-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Well you are welcome here, NSX, NSX-R or NSXless. :)

Hairy_Potr
25-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Man, did this thread go dead all of the sudden. Jesus Christ! Oh well, I wish the original poster the best in his search for an NSX-R. :)

Sudesh
25-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Man, did this thread go dead all of the sudden. Jesus Christ! Oh well, I wish the original poster the best in his search for an NSX-R. :)

Didnt go dead all of a sudden, went quite I think, when figures were prduced lol

Like most "I WANT" NSX-R related threads, they go quite after some re-search.

Hairy_Potr
26-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Makes sense. You UK guys are blessed with the opportunity to own one of these marvelous NSX-R machines, though. Me jealous! ;):)

Hairy_Potr
03-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Richy:

If you're still poking around for NSX-R's, might I add this little tidbit of wisdom. You don't need an NSX, or an NSX-R, or anything else material for that matter. Sure, they are fine luxuries and worthy aspirations, but they certainly won't offer your soul anything other than an adrenaline rush. And, if you're buying an NSX, or any exotic sportscar, with the intent to impress the neighbors (ie, strike Envy in them), then you would be well served to reconsider your purchase decision.

Now, think long and hard about what I am saying. The (real) Holy Grail is not about a magical cup, any more than it is about a cool sportscar. It's about your conscious decision to THINK! To maximize your use of the only competitive advantage that humans are endowed with as creatures -- an intelligent, logical mind. Most people prefer to rely on others to do their thinking for them. They might as well pray into a grape juice filled coffee mug.

"Thinking" is the easy part. Doing the right thing -however- is the real challenge. It's not challenging in that years of scholarly work are necessary to understand right from wrong, but simply that in the toughest of times, the "wrong" will appear oh-so-similar to the "right". When in doubt, stick to the basics. What did your mother teach you, and where does it fit into the 10 Commandments?

As you surely know, lots of people from various organizations will try to offer you access to the Holy Grail. Ignore them. All of them. Using that logical mind of yours, do you really think that your Creator expected you to spend a lifetime searching for a stupid physical cup somewhere? Of course not. Similarly, most of these organizations will try to coerce you into joining their side/cause, because they "know best". They don't. The fact of the matter is this: In any of these organizations, you will be speaking with and learning from who? Humans. There are a very very few rare exceptions to this, but NONE of those (trustworthy) rare exceptions would tell you what to think. Only that you should think for yourself.

I can't tell you what the Ultimate Truth is (and even if I could, I wouldn't -- it's your Grail quest, right? ;)). Frankly, I don't know if such a thing called Ultimate Truth even exists, or can ever be obtained. Perhaps the recognition of that fact alone is, in itself, the Ultimate Truth.

I can tell you, however, that it only takes a few quid in public library late charges, an open mind, and a pure heart, to come to these same (or other) conclusions all on your own. And no faggy secretive Freemason or corrupt Catholic will tell you that in such certain terms.

[Public library reference c/o Goodwill Hunting -- not a bad starting point in your spiritual quest]

Best wishes.
Andrew

Hairy_Potr
03-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Richy:

One other thing -- pay close attention to your own conceptual contradictions. Does one belief inherently contradict another, even minutely? Consider this (and this according to my own belief system, so you may disagree, but my message is clear):

According to Me, you don't necessarily need others to reach spiritual ascension/enlightenment. All of the "reference documents" are readily available (be it the Bible, the Dictionary, or other mystic/everyday literature). Therefore, you don't need to be associated with some outside organization.

[Note, you may not, and I'm not asking you to, believe this. But this is what I mean by philosophical harmony, so to speak. It would be a contradiction if I then said that I should join XYZ organization to reach my Holy Grail]

Yours Truly,
Andrew :)

Papalazarou
03-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Richy:

If you're still poking around for NSX-R's, might I add this little tidbit of wisdom. You don't need an NSX, or an NSX-R, or anything else material for that matter. Sure, they are fine luxuries and worthy aspirations, but they certainly won't offer your soul anything other than an adrenaline rush. And, if you're buying an NSX, or any exotic sportscar, with the intent to impress the neighbors (ie, strike Envy in them), then you would be well served to reconsider your purchase decision.

Now, think long and hard about what I am saying. The (real) Holy Grail is not about a magical cup, any more than it is about a cool sportscar. It's about your conscious decision to THINK! To maximize your use of the only competitive advantage that humans are endowed with as creatures -- an intelligent, logical mind. Most people prefer to rely on others to do their thinking for them. They might as well pray into a grape juice filled coffee mug.

"Thinking" is the easy part. Doing the right thing -however- is the real challenge. It's not challenging in that years of scholarly work are necessary to understand right from wrong, but simply that in the toughest of times, the "wrong" will appear oh-so-similar to the "right". When in doubt, stick to the basics. What did your mother teach you, and where does it fit into the 10 Commandments?

As you surely know, lots of people from various organizations will try to offer you access to the Holy Grail. Ignore them. All of them. Using that logical mind of yours, do you really think that your Creator expected you to spend a lifetime searching for a stupid physical cup somewhere? Of course not. Similarly, most of these organizations will try to coerce you into joining their side/cause, because they "know best". They don't. The fact of the matter is this: In any of these organizations, you will be speaking with and learning from who? Humans. There are a very very few rare exceptions to this, but NONE of those (trustworthy) rare exceptions would tell you what to think. Only that you should think for yourself.

I can't tell you what the Ultimate Truth is (and even if I could, I wouldn't -- it's your Grail quest, right? ;)). Frankly, I don't know if such a thing called Ultimate Truth even exists, or can ever be obtained. Perhaps the recognition of that fact alone is, in itself, the Ultimate Truth.

I can tell you, however, that it only takes a few quid in public library late charges, an open mind, and a pure heart, to come to these same (or other) conclusions all on your own. And no faggy secretive Freemason or corrupt Catholic will tell you that in such certain terms.

[Public library reference c/o Goodwill Hunting -- not a bad starting point in your spiritual quest]

Best wishes.
Andrew

I understand what you're saying, but it's a little condescending. We all know that our relationship with the material is often 'fleeting' and in the cold light of day anti-rational, but it's something most of us are hardwired to. your post seem to infer that the thread starter is unable to comprehend or affect his own destiny.
We are conditioned to conspicuously consume from the first Christmas we can remember and from then on, the Holy grail is an expensive list of mistakes or brief encounters with what we believe will make us happy. If we have a mind of our own, we will learn to consume with foresight, we will make informed decisions. However, the machine, or 'God of materialism' (does anyone believe in a 'real' god anymore?) will always know what we want before we do and the tail will always wag the dog even when we think we are the masters of our own material destiny. However, this isn't new, we all get this, don't we?

I take on board what you're saying, but I think that things are considerably more intertwined that you give credit and although 'technically' we have a rational mind to think and to plot our existence, we are at the mercy of a thousand different influences. Excuse the crass religious overtones, we are the cup that is being filled.

To be honest, the Religious content of your posts don't sit well with me. This is a car forum, not a theological discussion board. Regardless of intention, the 'God' context often arrives preachy and a little righteous.

Cheers, James.

Hairy_Potr
04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
You bring up a number of good points, James. But, at the end of the day, who knows, right?

Anyway, my message was to the original poster, Richy. He initiated a thread asking for "his" Holy Grail. Certainly, that odd use of language is a weird coincidence, but nevertheless I felt compelled to post my thoughts on the matter. Christ!

I'm not so sure that many of your fellow NSXers here would agree with you about your [paraphrased] "God does not exist" statement. LORD knows I wouldn't agree.

I'm also not intending to get into any sort of pissing contest with anyone here -- just making sure the record is straight. I've been in this life a very long time, and I know how silly disagreements can destroy an otherwise insightful thread/message.

Yours Truly,
Andrew :)

NiallNSX
04-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Good grief.

Rob_Fenn
04-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Can we talk about cars and tits?

I've spoken to Sudesh about it recently and certainly was a reality check! I 'thought' i had found an NSX-R but Sudesh was quick to point out it was in fact a replica (it was just under £60k).

So, as said, you're talking £100k+ at the moment for an NSX-R. Subjectively, it is a ridiculous amount of money when you can get technically better cars for less.

I won't lie, £100k has shocked me, but i've not ruled it out yet. I'm sure i'd be happy with a replica, but i would still long for the real thing.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much the UK NSX-R was sold for? It was sold on again recently wasn't it? I remember seeing it was for sale in the Performance Car article it was in.

NiallNSX
04-02-2010, 02:10 PM

:laugh: What was it you wanted to say about tits?

NSX 2000
04-02-2010, 04:53 PM

Would that be the small feathered variety, or the round bouncy type? :D

NSX 2000
04-02-2010, 04:56 PM
I've spoken to Sudesh about it recently and certainly was a reality check! I 'thought' i had found an NSX-R but Sudesh was quick to point out it was in fact a replica (it was just under £60k).

So, as said, you're talking £100k+ at the moment for an NSX-R. Subjectively, it is a ridiculous amount of money when you can get technically better cars for less.

I won't lie, £100k has shocked me, but i've not ruled it out yet. I'm sure i'd be happy with a replica, but i would still long for the real thing.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much the UK NSX-R was sold for? It was sold on again recently wasn't it? I remember seeing it was for sale in the Performance Car article it was in.

Hi Rob, I'm not aware that it did sell.

PM Sent

Paul.

Rob_Fenn
04-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Maybe you're in the middle of it Paul, but i haven't received a PM from yourself.

NSX 2000
04-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Maybe you're in the middle of it Paul, but i haven't received a PM from yourself.

You should have it now.

Paul.

NSX 2000
04-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Back on topic

http://www.goo-net.com/cgi-bin/goojp/used_eng/spread_n_w.cgi?goo_car_id=0110100201B4008317002&areacd=13&maker_cd=1020&car_cd=10201001&car_grade_cd=10201001|26&baitai=goo&car_cd_list=10201001&search_type=maker_search

11,600,000 yen works about £83K do they take amex:D

Sudesh
04-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Back on topic

http://www.goo-net.com/cgi-bin/goojp/used_eng/spread_n_w.cgi?goo_car_id=0110100201B4008317002&areacd=13&maker_cd=1020&car_cd=10201001&car_grade_cd=10201001|26&baitai=goo&car_cd_list=10201001&search_type=maker_search

11,600,000 yen works about £83K do they take amex:D

Plus shipping and insurance, plus customs duty, plus vat and a whole other host of ++++ Would take it to £110k and more.

Papalazarou
06-02-2010, 10:06 AM
So, assuming the unlikelihood of anyone importing a late model NA2R. What would peoples spec shortlist be for an existing UK NSX?

If you had £20K to throw at your car, what would you do?

Cheers,

James.

simonprelude
06-02-2010, 11:13 AM

Brake upgrade, suspension tweaks and a supercharger.

Rob_Fenn
06-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Steering rack is the big one for the NSX, has transformed our car having a short rack.

The brakes are fine with better pads, so i'd spend the rest on rose-jointing the rear suspension to stop the geometry changes under braking and a nice set of coilovers.

The rest of the money would go on a CW respray, Recaros and the NSX-R steering wheel.

Sudesh
06-02-2010, 09:13 PM
So, assuming the unlikelihood of anyone importing a late model NA2R. What would peoples spec shortlist be for an existing UK NSX?

Cheers,

James.

I can get them in no problem and have them IVA/SVA tested and on the road, its just that prices of the NSX-R's are so strong!

AR
06-02-2010, 11:44 PM
NSX-R = collectors Item

If you are buying one to pile on the miles it wil just plummet in price so hardly worth it.

How much will people be willing to pay for a 70K miles NA2 R?

Also when you consider how underpowered it is in real world terms, then it is just buying a car because you want to buy that car.

All IMHO etc.

NSXGB
07-02-2010, 09:46 AM
I can get them in no problem and have them IVA/SVA tested and on the road, its just that prices of the NSX-R's are so strong!

....I think that's what James was saying....

TheSebringOne
07-02-2010, 03:55 PM
To bring in a mark 2 type R would not make any real economical sense unless money was no object. I suppose lavishing £20K on upgrades on a standard car, will take it to the level of a R or beyond, but won't ever be a R but at least you can upgrade the standard car to match the level of more powerful or track orientated cars. Just my 2p

Senninha
07-02-2010, 07:17 PM
......... What would peoples spec shortlist be for an existing UK NSX?

Cheers,

James.

Pretty much what I have done but it didn't cost me £20k!

Better tyres, brake overhaul, chassis bars and upgraded ARB's ... that gets the chassis sorted for road use and occasional track outings. I/H/E & Cats to release a few extra ponies and you've got as much as you need for the UK roads IMO.

I'd then spend the rest on training me to get the best out of it and losing some weight from both the NSX and me :)

Some would prefer to slap on an SC or turbo but at this time its not for me.

regards, Paul

markc
07-02-2010, 08:45 PM
NSX-R = collectors Item

If you are buying one to pile on the miles it wil just plummet in price so hardly worth it.

All IMHO etc.

I disagree. Yes, buying a delivery mileage car of any sort is daft, you'll pay a big premium and using it, at all, will see that premium gone in a flash.

So buy one with a few miles on, say 20K, to start with and enjoy it. It's not an everyday car anyway so you're only going to put a few thousand miles on every year.

There are lots of Porsche RS's (original 2.7 or 964/993) with >50K miles on that still get regular use and they are worth plenty.

Cheers

Mark

AR
07-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I disagree. Yes, buying a delivery mileage car of any sort is daft, you'll pay a big premium and using it, at all, will see that premium gone in a flash.

So buy one with a few miles on, say 20K, to start with and enjoy it. It's not an everyday car anyway so you're only going to put a few thousand miles on every year.

There are lots of Porsche RS's (original 2.7 or 964/993) with >50K miles on that still get regular use and they are worth plenty.

Cheers

Mark

Look at the price differences on NA2 Rs in Japan.

markc
08-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Look at the price differences on NA2 Rs in Japan.

Percentage wise, the variation in price allowing for mileage doesn't look very different to regular NSX's? There aren't many cars to compare though.

Cheers

Mark

AR
08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Percentage wise, the variation in price allowing for mileage doesn't look very different to regular NSX's? There aren't many cars to compare though.

Cheers

Mark

For me having an NSX-R was a bit of problem, since I like to add my touch to my cars. My old R was great in having had all the bits done by Verso dealer/mugen blah blah, and I only limited myself to wheels and exhaust, both easily reversible items.

A grade 5 NXS-R would be untouchable.

Drive it a few times here in the UK and between the grit and the dickwats on the roads and parking areas and soon it would be in the same sort of state as the NA2 R that Honda imported.

NSX 2000
08-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Drive it a few times here in the UK and between the grit and the dickwats on the roads and parking areas and soon it would be in the same sort of state as the NA2 R that Honda imported.

Have you seen it lately then Ary?

AR
08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Not lately, but judging by the comments of others who have over the last few years it left a lot to be desired.

markc
08-02-2010, 04:25 PM

As I said it's not, never was, an everyday car. Yes it's possible to do so but not properly practical.

Use it like the the RS (Porsche) boys do i.e. no nasty winter road conditions, park up well away from anyone else, and everything will be fine.

Cheers

Mark