PDA

View Full Version : NA1 3.0 vs 3.2

jaffaz32
08-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Hi Guys,

Now starting to sell my parts from my 300zx.

Shortly i will be in a position to buy a NSX.

I am still keen on a Targa, Manual and in the older shape with the lift up lights.

However I believe they done the 3.2 on a few years before the facelift.

Is there much difference between a 3.0 and the 3.2?

Is it really worth me waiting for a 3.2?

How rare are they? in other words how long could i be waiting for a Targa, manual, 3.2 on the old shape in a good condition?

Keeping in mind i will be fitting a turbo kit at some point.

Is the 3.2 the same engine as the 3.0 but just bored out?

The other question is overall i like the facelift but really prefer the front lift up lights, can you fit the lift up lights to the new shape?

Thanks again...

NSXGB
08-11-2009, 01:32 PM
From what you are saying, I think an NA1 would be your best bet.
It will be easier to tune when you get your turbo kit and less work because you won't need to convert the headlights, which is possible butwould be sacriledge IMHO. :)
I don't think there is much difference in performance between NA1 & NA2 and it would not matter at all if you are planning a turbo conversion.

jaffaz32
08-11-2009, 01:37 PM
what i mean is the 3.2 is the obvious choice and a no brainer.

However as they are going to be allot more rare is it really that much better than a 3.0?

Is it worth the wait to get one?

Will i realistically get one any time soon?

The obvious option is a NA2 facelift and putting the lift up lights on if it's possible.

jaffaz32
08-11-2009, 01:40 PM
It will be easier to tune when you get your turbo kit and less work because you won't need to convert the headlights, which is possible butwould be sacriledge IMHO. :)
I don't think there is much difference in performance between NA1 & NA2 and it would not matter at all if you are planning a turbo conversion.

What i was thinking is though, a 3.2 on the old shape, think they done it for a couple of years.

Also found this allot of help http://world.honda.com/NSX/history/

it reads that the 3.2 is stronger than the 3.0 meaning it will hold the extra power before needing a rebuild.

NSXGB
08-11-2009, 01:50 PM
The 3.2 may be stronger, I don't know, but that does not mean a 3.0 is not a strong motor. It has been proved strong enough for FI applications. Have a read on Prime for some info on SC and Turbo conversions, much more experience of FI over there.

havoc
08-11-2009, 02:17 PM
3.2's are quite a bit rarer in the UK, and the exchange-rate at the moment precludes importing one. And most 3.2's are facelifts, too, which makes the NA1 3.2 quite a rare beasty...

That said, there's a facelift Cat-D around at the moment which looks a bargain...

Papalazarou
08-11-2009, 04:41 PM
3.2's are quite a bit rarer in the UK, and the exchange-rate at the moment precludes importing one. And most 3.2's are facelifts, too, which makes the NA1 3.2 quite a rare beasty...

That said, there's a facelift Cat-D around at the moment which looks a bargain...

You never see NA2 pop-ups for sale these days. I did see a black facelift Targa the other day on an 03 plate. Very nice. The owner's had it for 5 years. Wasn't selling though, otherwise I might have bought that one.

Cheers,

James.

amo
08-11-2009, 04:42 PM
mate id buy that red 3.2 and get a turbo
3.2 i think is weaker then the 3l on prime somewhere its todo with the block eg the sleeves 3l has iron sleeves and can handle a lot more also alot of mods avilable for the 3l
thx amo

markc
08-11-2009, 05:13 PM

Just to be clear, there's no such thing as a NA1 3.2, NA2 is the designation for the post 1997 3.2ltr 6spd cars. All 3.0ltr automatics, regardless of year, are designated NA1. The >2002 cars are also NA2's but usually referred to as "facelifts".

IMHO the 6spd 'box is at least as much of an advantage as the extra engine capacity.

If you really intend to add a turbo I think a 3.0ltr (NA1) would be the most cost effective place to start. Other upgrades that you'll need to go along with the turbo power are a little more available for 3.0ltr cars. Realistically, brakes will need upgrading on both 3.0 and 3.2 cars.

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
08-11-2009, 06:30 PM
It will be easier to tune when you get your turbo kit and less work because you won't need to convert the headlights, which is possible but would be sacriledge IMHO. :)

If you intend to SC/turbo then the 3.0 is the base car to work with.

As for finding a 3.2T non facelift, there are very few and even fewer likely to come onto the market. Most that I know off appear to be keepers.

Happy hunting

AR
08-11-2009, 08:53 PM
If you want to get FI you should just get a 3.0 block.

Look at the BIG picture:

Do you want PAS?

Is Targa really a must?

Do you want a lwt car NA with Headers and exhaust circa 300 BHP or do you want a heavy cruizer GT style?

Don't forget that at the very least you need £8k for FI closer to £ 10K to do it right.

Cheers,

AR

TheSebringOne
08-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Like the others, I would go for a 3.0 as they are more tunable than a 3.2. There are more 3.0 around than 3.2, so more choices & colour, also there will better chance of a targa if thats what you want than a 3.2 Targa. Also being a 3.0, you can save money towards your upgrades which will not be cheap. HTH

amo
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
and personally i think you should rebuild your motor if your going turbo
s/c will only give as much as you ask your pulley
its so easy to turn the boost up especially when some goes past you mmmmmmmmmmm

thx amo

jaffaz32
08-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Think 3.0ltr it is then.

I can always gain a bit extra bhp by decent filter, headers and exhaust until im able to buy the turbo kit.

Turbo kit will probably follow this time next year.

Could you please have a look at this car http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehicle.cfm?Account=SHD6895564&Style=2&Id=AETV89198841&Image=

I have mentioned the yellow nsx on autotrader before but there is more info of it on this site. It has 88,000 miles. Would that be a good base car to start with? Would 88,000 miles be ok to start tuning with a turbo and everything?

I have seen the red one it is in Ireland. I even asked my dad what he thought about a Cat D. Is a real bargain but is a Cat D really a good idea? it could be a problem car, the chasis may be twisted or weak. Who knows could have any number of problems, I would be on the first plane if not.

jaffaz32
08-11-2009, 10:42 PM
If you want to get FI you should just get a 3.0 block.

Look at the BIG picture:

Do you want PAS?

Is Targa really a must?

Do you want a lwt car NA with Headers and exhaust circa 300 BHP or do you want a heavy cruizer GT style?

Don't forget that at the very least you need £8k for FI closer to £ 10K to do it right.

Cheers,

AR

I would like PAS but seeing as the front end is relatively light i doubt it wouldnt matter too much if i had it or not.

Yeah I realise the cost implications of going turbo. The 300zx is a very expensive car to tune in comparison to say a Skyline so i'm used to and fully aware of the costs involved of getting more power and especially if you want to do it realiably.

Thanks

Rob_Fenn
09-11-2009, 04:23 PM
If you are set on a turbo, i'd agree with the others, 3.0.

If the likelihood is you'll keep it pretty standard, the 3.2 benefits from a 6 speed box which is a major advantage. The 5 speed requires JDM gearing IMO.

Bear in mind each year has subtle differences, the later the car, generally the better it will be. I noticed as much doing some back to back tests.

markc
09-11-2009, 05:45 PM
If the likelihood is you'll keep it pretty standard, the 3.2 benefits from a 6 speed box which is a major advantage. The 5 speed requires JDM gearing IMO.

Bear in mind each year has subtle differences, the later the car, generally the better it will be. I noticed as much doing some back to back tests.

A late model (1995/96) UK car will give you the JDM gearing. If you want JDM gearing without power steering you'll have to seek out an actual JDM car or a UK car that's had the gearbox modified.

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
09-11-2009, 06:10 PM
........Would 88,000 miles be ok to start tuning with a turbo and everything?.........

If as the add suggests it has a full and comprehensive history of maintenance then it should be a good base.

AR's now SC'd NSX had over 100k miles before tuning. However, he did a lot of 'basic' service work that had maybe been skipped over time and it would be worth exchanging info with him IMO.

As an option if you haven't seen it yet ...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1265612.htm

and it offers both the PAS and Targa options you are interested in. The color combo works well but is not to everyones taste. However, if you look at the refresh thread by Sudesh, he refinished the carpets to black and it both toned down the interior and made it look better at the same time.

Any Targa is going to be very hard to find, so if you see one it would be wise to move quickly. Remember, the best advise with an NSX is to buy on condition / history rather than colour, as there appears to be no real issue with selling any of the colours given the rarity of these cars onto the market.

HTH, Paul

Rob_Fenn
09-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Just to let you know, our 80k mile NSX with FHSH had a broken valve. Somehow it had got stuck and didn't cause damage. I presume with a turbo a rebuild would be par of the course anyway though...

jaffaz32
10-11-2009, 11:19 AM
If as the add suggests it has a full and comprehensive history of maintenance then it should be a good base.

AR's now SC'd NSX had over 100k miles before tuning. However, he did a lot of 'basic' service work that had maybe been skipped over time and it would be worth exchanging info with him IMO.

As an option if you haven't seen it yet ...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1265612.htm

and it offers both the PAS and Targa options you are interested in. The color combo works well but is not to everyones taste. However, if you look at the refresh thread by Sudesh, he refinished the carpets to black and it both toned down the interior and made it look better at the same time.

Any Targa is going to be very hard to find, so if you see one it would be wise to move quickly. Remember, the best advise with an NSX is to buy on condition / history rather than colour, as there appears to be no real issue with selling any of the colours given the rarity of these cars onto the market.

HTH, Paul

Yeah saw that on, milage is good but not a colour i originally wanted.

I would like: Yellow, Blue, White, Red or Black.

In order i prefer.

Going to take a look at one this Friday :D

markc
10-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Midnight Purple Pearl may actually be my second favourite NSX colour :)

Mark

jaffaz32
10-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Midnight Purple Pearl may actually be my second favourite NSX colour :)

Mark

Yeah nice colours but my 300 was black and a dark colour fancy something a little different.