PDA

View Full Version : Airfield activity day today

Ewan
30-10-2009, 08:08 PM
hi all - I took the NSX to an Airfield Activity day at North Wealth in Essex today; what a great laugh! Throughtout the day there were 4 different activities, from the "High speed bend" (basically, a straight run, lift off power and just steer...), and 3 different cone circuits in varying length and speed.

It's the first time I've switched the TCS off, and the first time I've spun the NSX... albeit in safety and without the risk of hitting anything or anyone.

If anyone else is thinking of exploring their car a bit, I'd recommend these events - http://www.carlimits.com/script/viewEvents.php?type=airfieldactivity - and at only £47 it's a bargain.

Maybe we could even try to arrange a group day next year if anyone's up for it...

cheers
Ewan

amo
30-10-2009, 09:02 PM
depends where and when but id be up for that
im sure mr ary would as well lol

thx amo

Silver Surfer
31-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Hi Ewan,

I did this last Friday with the Lotus-on-track group which are a afiliation of Car-limits.....only £25!!!
Booked again on the Fri 20th Nov.

I went with the SC MR2 ...may take the NSX this time.

Who was there with you Ewan as my companies were Elises and 1 Fezza 348 challenge and a E46 M3.

For those who don't know where North Weald is...it's just off the M11 after the first junction after coming off the M25.

SS

Ewan
31-10-2009, 09:05 AM
hi Kare

The Lotus On Track group seems to organise a bunch of events - the one I did was essentially "open", though most of the places had been booked up through "Hondas On Track (http://www.hondas-on-track.com/)". I think it was £47 yesterday because they had an additional location (ie they were running 2 circuits + the high speed bend).

So we had a few S2000s, a selection of Integras, Civics, Accord Type Rs, plus a smattering of other stuff (Driftworks Nissan, Skyline etc), plus one nice old chap in his Ferrari 308 GTB Fiberglass, one of the earliest 308s. He was trying to scrub in a new set of tyre, so every start was a smoker :)

The morning sessions were a little uneven - we only had one circuit and the high speed bend, and the group was split about 60/40, so there was quite a bit of hanging about waiting to go on to the circuit. Then the 2nd circuit opened up just before lunch, and after lunch the high speed bend was converted into the 3rd circuit. Drivers were then free to move from one circuit to another at will, so it meant if one was getting busy, you'd just move on to a quieter one.

I gave both instructors a drive of the NSX, which they were very pleased with - even the main man, Darren, commented on the weighting of the steering under load, and the other guy Rob said, "I guess this is the last chance I'll ever have to drive an NSX..." :proud:

It doesn't look like Car Limits have any more open dates scheduled this year, but I'll keep an eye out and see if there's any interest for next year.

E

Ewan
31-10-2009, 10:27 AM
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj118/si-car-pics/44%20-%20North%20Weald%20-%20October%202009/IMG_4677.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj118/si-car-pics/44%20-%20North%20Weald%20-%20October%202009/IMG_4675.jpg

[cue comments about how a coupe wouldn't have so much body roll etc etc :)]

mutley
31-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Yep I was just about to say....................Hmmmm suspension on the front a little soft????

Jim

NoelWatson
31-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Maybe we could even try to arrange a group day next year if anyone's up for it...

Count me in please

Boomin33
31-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Heya Ewan,

We might not be able to compete on the minimal body roll of a coupe... but not many things out there quite as satisfying as taking Pamela's top off on a sunny summer day ;)

I put two of the TypeR front stabiliser / brace bars in my Targa and there was a noticeable difference in the ride. Can't remember but think I spent around £350 in total? if that )

Baz
31-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi Ewan,

Great action pics - I always find it surprising how prominent the driver appears in an NSX, you can amost see the worry lines on your face!

I'd be up for it next year, assuming I hang on to my car.

Cheers,

Baz

havoc
31-10-2009, 04:58 PM
I'd be tempted by one of those days...

Senninha
31-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Lookin' Good Ewan,

I'll second the install of the front chassis bars ... definately reduces roll, increases front end feel but retains the complaince that makes the Targa so good on the UK black stuff.

Count me in for the next one please

regards, Paul

Ewan
31-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi Ewan,

Great action pics - I always find it surprising how prominent the driver appears in an NSX, you can amost see the worry lines on your face!

I'd be up for it next year, assuming I hang on to my car.

Cheers,

Baz

I wouldn't say it was worry lines, more just the usual gormless expression :)

I think these pics may have been taken just as I went into a bit of a tank-slapper/slide so it could have been the former :D

EDIT: More pics of the day at http://www.hondas-on-track.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=2049 - you may have to register to read the forum, but it's a simple enough process and some of the other pics are great.

Silver Surfer
31-10-2009, 08:13 PM
The good aspect of the North Weald event is that there is only 1 car on the track at a time with very little else to hit......the organiser said he knows of only one car that flipped onto its side on the high speed bend..I think it was a people carrier of such.

Count me in if an event can be organised.
(I'll ask the organisers of LoT when I go next in Nov.)

SS

NSXGB
31-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't think you'll find the Type-R chassis bars will reduce body roll, they are to reduce chassis flex. What would reduce body roll would be stiffer anti-roll bars or suspension. . .

Ewan
31-10-2009, 09:35 PM
the organiser said he knows of only one car that flipped onto its side on the high speed bend..I think it was a people carrier of such.

That stacks up - one guy showed up on Friday in a Subaru Forrester, and was told that he'd be unable to drive it on the circuit - 4x4s [in the high-sided sense] are banned.

blue5
01-11-2009, 08:07 PM
I did one a while ago with LOT cheap and enjoyable plus you learn something into the bargain.

I attended last wednesday when my friend was on a 1-2-1 day with Andrew Walsh. I think it cost about £199. He was amazed at how much he learnt.

The 1-2-1 day is really about driver training and unlimited practice.

NSXGB
01-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Sounds interesting. Any more details of this Andrew Walsh?

EDIT: found him. www.carlimits.com
Could try for a group day?

I did one a while ago with LOT cheap and enjoyable plus you learn something into the bargain.

I attended last wednesday when my friend was on a 1-2-1 day with Andrew Walsh. I think it cost about £199. He was amazed at how much he learnt.

The 1-2-1 day is really about driver training and unlimited practice.

blue5
02-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Sounds interesting. Any more details of this Andrew Walsh?

EDIT: found him. www.carlimits.com
Could try for a group day?

Aha! Beat me to it!