PDA

View Full Version : NSX NA2 or GT3 RS (997)

senna786
28-10-2009, 11:58 PM
thinking of getting a new toy in the coming months. Just another for the odd weekend blast. Having previously owned an NSX NA2, I'm thinking whether I should get another as I did like it and I think they are an appreciating classic.

But I am also considering the 997 GT3 RS. I just love it's rawness and race pedigree. And I think this would also become an appreciated classic too.

Any thoughts?

amo
29-10-2009, 12:09 AM
nsx supercharge it or turbo mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

thx amo

AR
29-10-2009, 12:25 AM
thinking of getting a new toy in the coming months. Just another for the odd weekend blast. Having previously owned an NSX NA2, I'm thinking whether I should get another as I did like it and I think they are an appreciating classic.

But I am also considering the 997 GT3 RS. I just love it's rawness and race pedigree. And I think this would also become an appreciated classic too.

Any thoughts?

If you want to make money the GT3 would be the one, just don't use it too much.

If you want to have fun get a 400ish BHP NSX, big warning it won't be an easy drive.

Senninha
29-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi Senna786,

We've not met but have often exchanged positive commentary across various threads. From these various exchanges I believe you like to keep your 'toys' pretty much as the manufacturer has intended.

With regard to your request for thoughts on the NA2 vs the GT3 RS as a new weekend toy, there's little to say on the NA2 as you will know the ups and downs from personal experience.

I've not driven the RS. I have however played against it on road and on track. In both instances the RS was equipped with ceramic brakes. On the road, the compliance of the NSX chassis allowed me to stay with the RS in most conditions as it was being bumped of line of Her Majesty's less than perfect tarmac. However, where it always out performed the NSX was under braking. Time and again, when chasing (err, sorry officer, that should read following ;)) I would be on the brakes before the RS.

Following the run I spent time chattting to the owner. As much as I was impressed with his brakes, so he was impressed that the NSX wasn't left in the distance despite the difference in horsepower. He also commented on how much hard work it was to keep the RS under control as it really isn't set up for fast A & B road workouts, yet he could see I looked far more relaxed behind the wheel of the NSX.

On track it is a very different story. The RS was made to pound round, lap after lap. The NSX is OK at the track but in largely OEM set-up, its no match for the RS.

I think both may well increase in value and it probably likely to be the NSX that moves first IMO. I think the RS will take longer purely because they are more readily available at present.

I'm still yet to drive one to experience first hand, but hopefully this 'owner' feedback together my own observations will help you along the decision process.

Good luck

regards, Paul

jamieburke
29-10-2009, 09:02 PM
gt3 all day long.

More development over the years than the nsx, very focused drivers tool. Not as exclusive as the nsx or as desireable in my opinion, but for what you have discribed, the gt3 it is.

Evo stated that even the hallowed nsx-r felt slow beside the gt3, due to the better ingine and the massive advancements recently in tyre and suspension technolgy....

AR
29-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Evo stated that...

Seriously who takes anything they say to heart!

jamieburke
31-10-2009, 09:57 PM
illusions shattered, dreams dashed, life over...

thanks ary...:)

blue5
01-11-2009, 05:58 PM

Any thoughts?

Yes, here's mine.

When I sold my NSX (9.5yrs of ownership) I too went over to the dark side and bought a rather nice GT3 mk2, no cage but with aircon, the race seats, and ceramic brakes. I bought it from a real enthusiast and it was as new.

It was faster than the nsx, gave 32mpg most days, but not track days, I had to wear ear defenders when driving it on daytrips as did mrs Blue which made conversation "difficult". It was very boomy and because of the "track focus" of the car was a pig to sit in and drive on normal roads so it was used rarely at weekends and only for trackdays. So as a road car give me my NSX any time.

When driving through London groups of youths made strange hand signs at me. I was paranoid about leaving it parked anywhere so it didnt get used in the evenings. A totally different experience to my NSX.

On track nothing except a Lotus Exige S/C could come anywhere near it. The problem is that everyone wants to race you and the baiting is endless, particularly when everytime you look in the mirror there is the said Lotus up your pipes.

On track they are very susceptable to tyre pressures. They heat up quickly and wizz your off somewhere you didnt expect. Once you get the hang of it thought no one will get past you (except an S/C exige.

Tyres cost a bomb and wear out very quickly, sound familiar?

Ah yes the ceramic brakes. Whatever people will tell you they know nothing unless they have actually had to use them in anger at 155mph. They stop on a sixpence, enough said so well worth the £12k yes £12k added to the list price. Most trackdayers change them for steel discs, presumeably because they like slowing down less quickly.

Overall generally bulletproof which is good as the engine is £40k, but the gearbox/clutch can develop problems. The LSD always judders in reverse. Make sure you get a Porsche warrenty, as anything else becomes just paper if there is a problem.

In terms of investment potential, its a car, it depreciates however the GT3 is "The" car and you will always find a buyer. I was v lucky and got out after 10 months with no loss, 6 months later (Last NOV) same car now less £14k!

I have now ticked the box, worn the t shirt and moved on.

My advice, buy a Lotus Exige S/C, half the price a lot more fun and just as uncomfortable on the road, I did.

NSX 2000
02-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Yes, here's mine.

When I sold my NSX (9.5yrs of ownership) I too went over to the dark side and bought a rather nice GT3 mk2, no cage but with aircon, the race seats, and ceramic brakes. I bought it from a real enthusiast and it was as new.

It was faster than the nsx, gave 32mpg most days, but not track days, I had to wear ear defenders when driving it on daytrips as did mrs Blue which made conversation "difficult". It was very boomy and because of the "track focus" of the car was a pig to sit in and drive on normal roads so it was used rarely at weekends and only for trackdays. So as a road car give me my NSX any time.

When driving through London groups of youths made strange hand signs at me. I was paranoid about leaving it parked anywhere so it didnt get used in the evenings. A totally different experience to my NSX.

On track nothing except a Lotus Exige S/C could come anywhere near it. The problem is that everyone wants to race you and the baiting is endless, particularly when everytime you look in the mirror there is the said Lotus up your pipes.

On track they are very susceptable to tyre pressures. They heat up quickly and wizz your off somewhere you didnt expect. Once you get the hang of it thought no one will get past you (except an S/C exige.

Tyres cost a bomb and wear out very quickly, sound familiar?

Ah yes the ceramic brakes. Whatever people will tell you they know nothing unless they have actually had to use them in anger at 155mph. They stop on a sixpence, enough said so well worth the £12k yes £12k added to the list price. Most trackdayers change them for steel discs, presumeably because they like slowing down less quickly.

Overall generally bulletproof which is good as the engine is £40k, but the gearbox/clutch can develop problems. The LSD always judders in reverse. Make sure you get a Porsche warrenty, as anything else becomes just paper if there is a problem.

In terms of investment potential, its a car, it depreciates however the GT3 is "The" car and you will always find a buyer. I was v lucky and got out after 10 months with no loss, 6 months later (Last NOV) same car now less £14k!

I have now ticked the box, worn the t shirt and moved on.

My advice, buy a Lotus Exige S/C, half the price a lot more fun and just as uncomfortable on the road, I did.

Good reply blue5:thumbsup: Your discreption about the lotus being stuck up your tail pipe made me laugh:laugh: it's a bit like being on motorways and it's always a BMW diesel in your rear view mirror, so we bought one so I can do the same thing:laugh:

markc
02-11-2009, 07:59 PM

OR buy a Caterham Superlight R400/500 or CSR and be even faster and even more uncomfortable :)

Sadly they're so small that you can't annoy drivers in front of you as they can't see you in their mirrors.

Cheers

Mark

Rob_Fenn
02-11-2009, 08:10 PM
The GT3 is undoubtedly a better car in most departments. Even as a die hard NSX fan, i'd go for the 997. NSX-R however...

nationofzeros
02-11-2009, 09:56 PM
OK, now how about this 'Top Trumps' style dilemma (only theoretically speaking, I hasten to add) :-

NA1 NSX-R vs. F360 Challenge Stradale

???

Chris

Papalazarou
02-11-2009, 11:17 PM
OK, now how about this 'Top Trumps' style dilemma (only theoretically speaking, I hasten to add) :-

NA1 NSX-R vs. F360 Challenge Stradale

???

Chris

The 360 for sound. The NSX for still working in 10 years time.

If you are for any reason lusting after a 360, let me know.

Cheers,

James.