PDA

View Full Version : NSX Suspension Settings

nationofzeros
21-10-2009, 08:54 PM
After much investigation, I have finally received a full set of suspension settings for the NA1 NSX-R from those nice people at HUK. Also included in the spreadsheet are the factory settings for the normal NA1 and NA2

Just in case anyone's interested...

Chris

forumadmin
21-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Looks like the NA2 settings are the same as the NA1-R.

NoelWatson
22-10-2009, 04:09 AM
After much investigation, I have finally received a full set of suspension settings for the NA1 NSX-R from those nice people at HUK. Also included in the spreadsheet are the factory settings for the normal NA1 and NA2

Just in case anyone's interested...

Chris

Correct me if I'm wrong but the NA2 appears to be for 02+ cars according to the wheel/tyre sizes....

NSXGB
22-10-2009, 05:21 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the NA2 appears to be for 02+ cars according to the wheel/tyre sizes....

The spreadsheet is just for Type-R alignment settings. So the only NA2 Type-R model that was produced had 17" wheels all round being made in 2002.

NA1 Type-R was produced between 1993 and 1995 and NA2 Type-R was produced in 2002....hence wheel sizes listed.

Nick Graves
22-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Well done that man!

I wish facts were more readily available for more cars.

Also had to laugh at the classic (crassic?) error over the word "lash" ("play" in Engrish).

Sudesh
22-10-2009, 10:41 AM
NA1 NSX-R
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/NSXRSUSPENSION.jpg

NA2 NSX-R
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/NA2NSX-RSUSPENSION.jpg

nationofzeros
23-10-2009, 07:40 PM
The massive rear toe-in (6 deg ?!) on the NA1 NSX-R intrigues me.

On track in my barely capable hands, the NSX-R is a massive understeerer and to get it to head in a direction even vaguely apex - esque, you have to back off & wrench it back in. Or alternatively you give it some welly, exit the corner executing an unwieldy but spectacular tank-slapper, & then proceed in a generally backward direction into the nearest fence

About one time in 1000 through random applications of throttle & steering wheel, you exit in a glorious 4 wheel drift

So perhaps a day at the nearest skid pan wouldn't be a bad investment, after all!

Chris

markc
24-10-2009, 06:42 PM

On track in my barely capable hands, the NSX-R is a massive understeerer and to get it to head in a direction even vaguely apex - esque, you have to back off & wrench it back in. Or alternatively you give it some welly, exit the corner executing an unwieldy but spectacular tank-slapper, & then proceed in a generally backward direction into the nearest fence

About one time in 1000 through random applications of throttle & steering wheel, you exit in a glorious 4 wheel drift

So perhaps a day at the nearest skid pan wouldn't be a bad investment, after all!

Chris

That rear toe setting alone won't make that much difference Chris, the other suspension changes, particularly the massively firmer springs and dampers, will have far greater effect.

All, factory spec, NSX's understeer but the dramatic way you've described it your car may benefit from a full alignment.

If the alignment turns out to be correct you can do a lot with tyre pressures. Sounds like you need to get some temperature in to the front tyres to get them working. Try raising the front pressures or lowering the rear pressures OR do both. What pressures are you running at the moment?

Cheers

Mark

nationofzeros
24-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi Mark - the first thing that needs aligning is my ability to drive a mid engined car at a basic level of competence, but taking that as read you are absolutely right ; I am keen to get the car set up exactly as it exited the factory & then take it from there. Hence the digging for the correct settings with Honda.

Some of the vids on youtube of NSX-Rs at Suzuka in the hands of Senna et al are absolutely mindblowing, & I think it is safe to say that they dont exactly appear over-troubled by understeer!

All the best

Chris

AR
24-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Chris I am sure the Mugen LSD changes the dynamics.

markc
24-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi Mark - the first thing that needs aligning is my ability to drive a mid engined car at a basic level of competence, but taking that as read you are absolutely right ; I am keen to get the car set up exactly as it exited the factory & then take it from there. Hence the digging for the correct settings with Honda.

Some of the vids on youtube of NSX-Rs at Suzuka in the hands of Senna et al are absolutely mindblowing, & I think it is safe to say that they dont exactly appear over-troubled by understeer!

All the best

Chris

I think the NSX-R suspension set-up requires a very precise (driving) technique or highly talented wheelman to get the best out of it.

The track test (attached) that Performance Car conducted back in 1994 found the NSX-R hard to balance with understeer being dominant. John Barker (currently with evo magazine) descibes it behaving in a fairly similar to you and he's a very talented driver.

I think you'll be surprised how much a bit tyre pressure tinkering will help though :)

Cheers

Mark

TheSebringOne
25-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Mark , I have tried to zoom in, increase the text size etc, but still can't read the article, please could you email a larger copy to me? Cheers :)

markc
26-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Mark , I have tried to zoom in, increase the text size etc, but still can't read the article, please could you email a larger copy to me? Cheers :)

Of course, PM me your email address.

I can send you the whole 10 page article if you like?

Possibly one to upload to the "Articles" area... how does one do that? Submit to one of the admins?

Cheers

Mark

TheSebringOne
28-10-2009, 09:30 PM
PMd Mark.

Thanks alot! :)

markc
29-10-2009, 05:51 PM
PMd Mark.

Thanks alot! :)

No PM received yet?? I have room in my inbox, maybe you can try again.

Mark

TheSebringOne
02-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Sorry Mark , just returned from a very long weekend break down South!

PMd now sent & much appreciated pal. :)

modarr
02-11-2009, 09:16 PM

On track in my barely capable hands, the NSX-R is a massive understeerer

Chris

I found a long time ago that the best way to kill understeer on tight corners in the NSX is to trail brake, I mean turn in still on the brakes and not really fully come off until near the apex.
This loads the front tyres up enough to gain grip. Too much barking and you plough straight on regardless. BUT crucially, and highly unexpexctedly for a mid-engine car, the NSX rear end does not break loose as you'll be told by the 'experts' and cause you to spin. The rear toe settings may be partly why.

The NSX rear end is unbelievably stable under braking. It really shouldn't be so good with the weight slung out back but just is.

Having always been frightened to turn in on the brakes, I always do in the NSX now, but not other cars. I must add its only something I have the guts/lack of sense to do in slow corners. At 80 or 90mph I prefer to be off the brakes first and hey if I understeer at that speed I know that I may have had to control an oversteer situation instead if I had turned in on the brakes. I know which one I prefer.

Mo

nationofzeros
02-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice. It sounds sensible & I will give it a try (on the slower corners) next time out. In previous mid / rear engined cars trail braking has been a recipe for all manner of issues, but particularly in the NSX-R the setup, inc. much stiffer front springs relative to back, seems to encourage killing understeer this way but with the back end still held in line

Interestingly the only times I seem to actually 'lose' mid engined cars are on acceleration past the apex - too much too soon, etc

Chris

I found a long time ago that the best way to kill understeer on tight corners in the NSX is to trail brake, I mean turn in still on the brakes and not really fully come off until near the apex.
This loads the front tyres up enough to gain grip. Too much barking and you plough straight on regardless. BUT crucially, and highly unexpexctedly for a mid-engine car, the NSX rear end does not break loose as you'll be told by the 'experts' and cause you to spin. The rear toe settings may be partly why.

The NSX rear end is unbelievably stable under braking. It really shouldn't be so good with the weight slung out back but just is.

Having always been frightened to turn in on the brakes, I always do in the NSX now, but not other cars. I must add its only something I have the guts/lack of sense to do in slow corners. At 80 or 90mph I prefer to be off the brakes first and hey if I understeer at that speed I know that I may have had to control an oversteer situation instead if I had turned in on the brakes. I know which one I prefer.

Mo