PDA

View Full Version : EPS Light - Power steering

Boomin33
17-10-2009, 03:35 PM
forgot to close the boot properly and let the battery die down. connected to truck for a jump and interestingly the hazards were on when I got into the car.

When I started it, the alarm went off and didn't seem to respond to the FOB. Turned it off and tried jumping it again.

Worked fine with no problems.

However... power steering appears to now be gone... and there is a Red EPS light on the dash. What's the scoop? Fuse?

simonprelude
17-10-2009, 03:57 PM
How did you jump start it, on the battery or in the engine bay??

Boomin33
17-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Straight to the battery under bonnet

simonprelude
17-10-2009, 04:25 PM

Look at your fuses then, car is supposed to be jump started from the terminals in the engine bay.

Papalazarou
17-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Check the clock fuse under the bonnet. If it's not blown, removing and replacing it will normally reset the EPS. If it's the EPS control unit, Honda charge £1300.00 for it! However, I'd say it was pretty unlikely and the considerably cheaper option would be to send it away and get it fixed.

Cheers,

James.

AR
17-10-2009, 04:54 PM

Engine bay is the way mate probably a fuse.

Silver Surfer
17-10-2009, 05:10 PM
It's always a bit dodgy to jump from the battery as there is always a possibility to fry the ECU and other electric components.

Best to jump from the engine compartment with -ve to chassis.

SS

Kaz-kzukNA1
17-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi, Boomin33.

It all depends on the year model as the software is different inside the EPS controller but looks like you triggered the Low voltage warning.

Quite often, I saw people telling to reset the ECU/ABS/TCS/EPS/etc controllers by puling the 'Clock' 7.5A fuse without any investigation.
Even the original workshop manual was written in that way for some of the controllers.

I recommend NOT to do so.
Instead, please first read the error code and then reset it.

Probably, you triggered error code #31.

Regarding jump starting the NSX, as long as you are EXTREAMELY careful not to short the Battery Positive terminal to any metal objects on the chassis, you are fine going straight to the Battery.

However, bacause of the spare tyre, the spare tyre holder bracket, battery holder and holder bracket, it is so easy to make mistake. This is why Honda recommends to jump start NSX using the Positive block terminal at the fuse box in the engine bay and the ' - ' marked Negative terminal at the TH body.

Unless you managed to create a short circuit and exceeded the rated current, you won't blow the fuse by just jump starting.

Same story for the ECU. I don't know about other manufactures but for Honda ECU, there is quite high rated protection circuit for the input voltage including the reverse voltage.

Depending on the Year model, it is possible to damage the ECU if you had failure on O2 sensor especially at the heater circuit. This is one of the reason why Honda modified the O2 sensor heater circuit and add the relay for later models.

Hope you managed to find the cause of EPS errror.

Regards,
Kaz

NSA
23-10-2009, 04:30 PM
If you need a new EPS computer, I've got a spare unit for £250. It's for a 1997 car and I'll check if it's a straight swap into yours, which looks like a 2002+. Does anybody know offhand if the two are compatible?

If it turns out that my EPS computer doesn't sort the problem, I'll give you a refund on it. Feel free to give me a call on 0798 4419 473.

Boomin33
25-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I sat down on Saturday to sort this out. Was going to try and figure out how to find where to read the error code etc.

When I started it up to pull it out of the garage. noticed that there was not a problem. NO EPS light and power steering was working fine. I have driven it the last two days with no recurrence.

I did have it on a trickle charger the last week... sounds ridiculous, but could it have been down to the battery running flat and just being super low on charge?

TheQuietOne
25-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Rob I had to bump start mine a few years ago and when it got going the light was on and no PAS. I drove home like that thinking bugger, but not daring to stop it incase it wouldn't start again. When I got home turned it off and on an heypresto all was and is fine!

Kaz-kzukNA1
28-10-2009, 10:46 PM
I sat down on Saturday to sort this out. Was going to try and figure out how to find where to read the error code etc.

When I started it up to pull it out of the garage. noticed that there was not a problem. NO EPS light and power steering was working fine. I have driven it the last two days with no recurrence.

I did have it on a trickle charger the last week... sounds ridiculous, but could it have been down to the battery running flat and just being super low on charge?

Rob I had to bump start mine a few years ago and when it got going the light was on and no PAS. I drove home like that thinking bugger, but not daring to stop it incase it wouldn't start again. When I got home turned it off and on an heypresto all was and is fine!

Depending on the failure mode and the controller (EPS, ECU, ABS, TCS, etc), the warning light will disappear when you turn off the IGN Sw and never comes back On again until the same/another failure is triggered.
On the other hand, for some of the failure mode, the warning light stays On every time when you tuen on the IGN Sw until you clear the backup memory. This is why it is important to read the failure code after the warning light was triggered.

So, for both cases, the failure mode didn't happen after the IGN Sw was turned off and on again. However, unless you have cleared the memory, the failure code is still stored in the controller.

Regards,
Kaz