PDA

View Full Version : Scam of the week

Papalazarou
12-10-2009, 05:47 PM
In light of the posts concerning Nigerian 419 scams, I thought perhaps this could be a regular thread giving details and discussing different scams.

here's one to get you started. Please note that we had not discussed what I was willing to take for the car. This was the offer made. I only awarded this a 6/10. I like the basic presentation, but thought it was let down by inconsistent grammar and a description of transactions that didn't make a great deal of sense. The killer for me was the 070 number. This is a signature scam number which redirects you for a price.

"I am glad to inform you that i am satisfied with the details and condition of
the car .

Presently i am in offshore in Ireland but i will be traveling down to uk to
complete the transaction,so first of all, I will like you to please put this
car off advert to avoid interruptions from other interested buyers and count it
sold,ok.

Concerning the price and payment ,i will be happy to pay you £30300.00 for it

I will send you a Bankers draft of £4,200.00 which i will allow to clear into
your bank account .

You will deduct £1,000.00 as a deposit for it which is non-refundable.

You will send £3,200.00 to shipping agent asap the cheque has cleared. I was
informed by him that, he will need the money for shipping in advance at least
a weekend before i will be in UK.

The remaining balance of £29400.00 payed into your bank account or by cash
before it can be pick up.i will be waiting for 48hrs for you to confirmed the
balance before the shipping agent can pick it up .Let me know the best way you
want the balance to be paid?

You need not to worry as our prepaid shipping Agent will come to pick it up
from your base for shipment asap the balance has been confirmed by you .the
reason for this shipment method is as a result of the conjestion at the
singapore seaport, which does not make it directly shippable there.

I will compensating you with £100 for the time involve in paying the
shipping agent and also for you to withdraw the advert.

If you accept my terms of payment,The details and picture of the car will be
sent to the shipping agent and get back to me with
the NAME ,ADDRESS AND CONTACT MOBILE TELEPHONE NUMBER for Bankers draft to
be delivered to you .I look forward to a successful transaction with you and
await your urgent response.

PLEASE NOTE,ITS WHEN THE FULL PAYMENT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY YOU BEFORE THE CAR
DOCUMENT WILL BE RELEASE TO ME AND SIGN

ching

NSX 2000
12-10-2009, 05:51 PM
ching

More like Ker-Ching:laugh::laugh:

simonprelude
12-10-2009, 08:32 PM
More like Ker-Ching:laugh::laugh:

070 numbers can cost up to 50p per minute to call from a BT landline

AR
12-10-2009, 08:40 PM
James can you call him collect?

Papalazarou
12-10-2009, 09:26 PM
James can you call him collect?

There's a thought;-)

Cheers,

James.

AR
12-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Tell him send you the money WU!

simonprelude
13-10-2009, 08:58 AM
No.........scam of the week is the £12,900 3.2 on Autotrader.

First of all thank you for your interest. The car is in perfect order, HPI clear, no accidents, no maintenance needed for the following months. I want to inform you that I moved to Croatia but I will arrange shipping back to the UK and I will allow 5 days for inspection once you receive the car. It is still UK registered, you will not be liable of any import taxes.
If the distance is not an issue we can move forward.
Let me know if you need any details of the car.

All the best,
Andrew Johnson

Papalazarou
13-10-2009, 04:12 PM
No.........scam of the week is the £12,900 3.2 on Autotrader.

Damn it Simon, I've been baiting that guy for a few days now;-) Now he's going to know I've been scamming him!
Some of these scams are soooooo simplistic. They make some pretty basic mistakes; they never want to know about the car, they write one sentence with perfect grammar then write the next in pigeon English. They want you to pay some fee or other and their messages are structured the same regardless of the content of your previous email. You can almost understand why people trade stuff in.

Cheers, James.

Papalazarou
25-10-2009, 08:54 PM
And then......

Hello,

I'm interested in your NSX. I am ready to offer your asking price if it's in
good condition and finance free. I can come and inspect in a few days, however I
would like to have the HPI report before I decide to come over for inspection.
For the HPI I need the actual reg plate and the chassis number. Also please send
some more photos (inside and outside).

Kind regards,

Nearly fell for this one, but for a few minor inconsistencies;

1. Offering me the asking price without viewing?
2. No questions about the car
3. the phone number doesn't exist, surprise surprise!!
Oh and wanting to know the chassis number.

I'm currently getting a couple of these a day.

Ary, where did you say you bought that supercharger?;-)

Cheers,

James.

simonprelude
26-10-2009, 08:04 AM
For the HPI Insurance to be valid they require reg number, chassis number, keepers name and address.

The level of english in that one looks like a scam though :(

Driver Matt
26-10-2009, 10:19 AM
I visited Chris at Science of Speed a couple of weeks ago and have a quote for a supercharger and intercooler for £9,000. Should give 420 RWHP. Currently saving the pennies for a speedier next year. :laugh:

AR
26-10-2009, 10:55 AM
I visited Chris at Science of Speed a couple of weeks ago and have a quote for a supercharger and intercooler for £9,000. Should give 420 RWHP. Currently saving the pennies for a speedier next year. :laugh:

Some things to consider along the way:

Compression test at higher mileage
Instalation of charger
Tuning
New Clutch
Headers to take full advange
Exhaust
AFR gauge
Shift light

After all is done you will then want way bigger brakes! :)

Papalazarou
26-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Please can forum admin move this part of the thread to a new place. I think a lot of us would be interested to hear what's going on with Ary's and Amo's Superchargede cars. Maybe they could have their own section?

Cheers,

James.

AR
26-10-2009, 11:53 AM

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/lolcat-funny-picture-moderator1.jpg

caz0030
28-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi,

Just to say I am looking for a car at the moment and found one which was too good to be true on autotrader. A mercedes benz slk 350 with only 36,000 miles for 10k!

And yes the owner has just moved to Croatia, surprise, surprise and I also got an email which was meant to be from autotrader saying he was genuine and to use the links the owner provided!

Just worried how many people might part with money for a car that doesnt exist. Glad I found this site as you all have confirmed my suspicions.

Thanks everyone :)

TheSebringOne
28-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Thats one over worked cat as hes not had a chance to eat the mouse! :laugh:

NSX 2000
12-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Received the following email today:no:

Salutation,

My name is Elena, I has 32 years and I applying to you from Russian province. I work in town library and I can use computer when I finish work if allowed. We are having serious problem and I decided to write you this desperate letter.

I having daughter Angelina - 8 years old, her father abandoned us and we inhabit together with my mother.

As consequence of crisis lately my mother lost job (a shop where she used to work has been closed) and our position became frightful.

Gas and electricity price is very expensive in our province and we cannot use it to heating our home anylonger.

Winter is coming and weather becoming colder every day. We are much distressed and we donot know what we can to do.

Only possible direction for us to heating our home is to use transferable wood burning oven which giving heating from burning wood. We have enough wood in our town and this oven will be heating our household entire winter with minimal charge.

We urgently in need of this oven, but we cannot purchase it in our market since it monetary value 8141 ruble (equivalent of 191 Euro) and we cannot to afford it because this amount is fortune for us.

In case if you own any old transferable wood-firing oven and if you discontinued to use it, we will be very grateful if you could donation it for us and prepare ship of this oven to our address (165 km from capital of Russia). This ovens are different, they made from cast-iron and weight 100 kg.

I hope that you write me back.

Elena, my daughter and my mother.
Russia

AR
12-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Is it this Elena?

http://image2.linkinn.com/userfile/pictures_0909/Image/Super_Sexy_Elena_Anaya_Maxim_Babe_1.jpg

Silver Surfer
12-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Received the following email today:no:

Salutation,

My name is Elena, I has 32 years and I applying to you from Russian province. I work in town library and I can use computer when I finish work if allowed. We are having serious problem and I decided to write you this desperate letter.

I having daughter Angelina - 8 years old, her father abandoned us and we inhabit together with my mother.

As consequence of crisis lately my mother lost job (a shop where she used to work has been closed) and our position became frightful.

Gas and electricity price is very expensive in our province and we cannot use it to heating our home anylonger.

Winter is coming and weather becoming colder every day. We are much distressed and we donot know what we can to do.

Only possible direction for us to heating our home is to use transferable wood burning oven which giving heating from burning wood. We have enough wood in our town and this oven will be heating our household entire winter with minimal charge.

We urgently in need of this oven, but we cannot purchase it in our market since it monetary value 8141 ruble (equivalent of 191 Euro) and we cannot to afford it because this amount is fortune for us.

In case if you own any old transferable wood-firing oven and if you discontinued to use it, we will be very grateful if you could donation it for us and prepare ship of this oven to our address (165 km from capital of Russia). This ovens are different, they made from cast-iron and weight 100 kg.

I hope that you write me back.

Elena, my daughter and my mother.
Russia

Can't see the part where they want to separate you from your NSX. ;)

SS

Senninha
12-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Is it this Elena?

http://image2.linkinn.com/userfile/pictures_0909/Image/Super_Sexy_Elena_Anaya_Maxim_Babe_1.jpg

Her oven would appear to be working just fine ... its certainly warmed me up!

Senninha
12-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Please can forum admin move this part of the thread to a new place. I think a lot of us would be interested to hear what's going on with Ary's and Amo's Superchargede cars. Maybe they could have their own section?

Cheers,

James.

Good call James ... if only we could find a moderator ...:dunno:

And lets not forget about Mo's 7000rpm wheel spinning machine too!

Silver Surfer
12-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Has she got a unilateral Parotid tumour?

SS

henry_mac
22-11-2009, 10:28 AM
These guys are cracking me up ...

See the email traffic below from*andrew.johnson92@btinternet.com, he said he had emigrated to Croatia
The seller would not give phone or address details and finally gave me a copy of the V5C which I checked at DVLA and the Registration and Document Reference number didn't validate.
I managed to decode the address and find Andrew Johnson's real address - he apparently still lives there. I called and got his wife, the car has not been for sale for ages...
I did some research on tlgcroatia - it is setup and hosted in Russia and was only setup on 12th October 2009. Appears that that hosting address is known for fraudulent activities and sales of Farm machinery..

you can't be too careful these days....

Mail trail below...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hey Henry,
You are such a difficult person to deal with. I attached the V5. I suggest you come and get the car from here if you are having such thoughts regarding my identity and*company's*authenticity. Why are you so suspicious about me? I'm a serious seller and I never fooled someone in any way. I won't risk my career, my freedom and my future for anything in the world!!! I would rather close this deal with another person than to know that you'll be very stressed hoping that I am a honest person, until you receive your car.Your peace of mind is a lot more important than this deal!!! If you decide not to go through with it there is no problem. I got quite a few offers left. Get back to me and let me know what you decide. Thank you for your time and interest. Whatever you decide I wish you good luck.

Sincerely,
Andrew

They are hosted in Russia*
Traceroute has started…

traceroute to*www.autotradertrustee.com*(195.208.0.4), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
*1* 10.0.1.1 (10.0.1.1)* 1.303 ms* 1.021 ms* 0.695 ms
*2* o2wirelessbox.lan ()* 49.493 ms* 99.685 ms* 99.582 ms
*3* 93-96-167-1.zone4.bethere.co.uk (93.96.167.1)* 33.817 ms* 29.877 ms* 30.085 ms
*4* * * *
*5**cat01.frankfurt.gldn.net*(195.66.224.205)* 44.493 ms* 44.624 ms* 56.014 ms
*6**cat06.moscow.gldn.net*(194.186.157.130)* 83.689 ms* 84.400 ms* 83.457 ms
*7* 194.186.205.150 (194.186.205.150)* 84.365 ms* 84.206 ms* 84.026 ms
*8**msk-m9-mr3.ripn.net*(193.232.226.19)* 84.279 ms* 84.564 ms* 85.249 ms
*9**khouse-hr1.nic.ru*(193.232.226.130)* 84.833 ms* 142.125 ms* 85.173 ms
10**carp.http.nic.ru*(195.208.0.4)* 85.211 ms* 84.463 ms* 84.459 ms

The suggested shipping company tlgcrotia is also hosted there ...
Traceroute has started…

traceroute to*www.tlgcroatia.com*(195.208.0.16), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
*1* 10.0.1.1 (10.0.1.1)* 1.190 ms* 0.768 ms* 1.165 ms
*2* o2wirelessbox.lan ()* 59.400 ms* 99.431 ms* 99.888 ms
*3* 93-96-167-1.zone4.bethere.co.uk (93.96.167.1)* 30.019 ms* 29.566 ms* 31.379 ms
*4* * 10.1.3.50 (10.1.3.50)* 31.580 ms* 30.625 ms
*5**cat01.frankfurt.gldn.net*(195.66.224.205)* 114.291 ms* 110.328 ms* 124.271 ms
*6**cat06.moscow.gldn.net*(194.186.157.210)* 83.970 ms* 85.563 ms* 84.242 ms
*7* 194.186.205.150 (194.186.205.150)* 84.109 ms* 84.258 ms* 85.894 ms
*8**msk-m9-mr3.ripn.net*(193.232.226.19)* 83.871 ms* 84.180 ms* 83.765 ms
*9**khouse-hr1.nic.ru*(193.232.226.130)* 84.900 ms* 84.906 ms* 84.923 ms
10* 195.208.0.16 (195.208.0.16)* 84.701 ms* 84.582 ms* 84.314 ms

Hope they don't have too many people fooled by this

Fake Autotrader reply:

As a valued Auto Trader user, your safety is very important to us.

Please note that this is not a contract and you have no obligation whatsoever.
This is only our investigation result and we do not mediate any sales.

This e-mail was sent to you in order to assure a better communication between seller and buyer and also to instruct our customers how to perform a transaction in optimal conditions for both parties.

Our customer notified us that you are a potential buyer for the bellow noted vehicle and informed us that encountered suspicions from the potential buyers due to a recent change of location, to Croatia.

Customer Details:

NAME: Andrew Johnson
EMAIL:*andrew.johnson92@btinternet.com

Vehicle Details:

MAKE: HONDA
MODEL: NSX
PRICE: 12,900.00 GBP

We have verified the vehicle details following the seller request and we can assure you of the following:

- Vehicle registration documents are valid, VIN (chassis number) and VRM (vehicle registration number) match
- Owner details match the DVLA database (V5 Registration Document serial number and issue date match)
- Online ad description and pictures of the vehicle are accurate
- VRM and VIN not recorded as a 'total loss' by insurers or not recorded as a repaired insurance 'total loss'
- The VRM is not recorded as imported, not recorded as stolen by the police, not recorded as a theft by insurers, not recorded on the security register as a risk
- No mileage discrepancy is currently indicated by the national mileage register (NMR)
- The vehicle passed MOT and MOT is currently valid

We could not find any issues verifying the seller and the vehicle. All vehicle details and documentation are accurate.
Also the seller is willing to use a third party logistics firm that will handle the payment and the transport.
Our legal department checked/verified the company indicated by the seller and confirmed their legitimacy and their ability of performing the transport and the payment exchange services.

The benefits when using a professional third party company are numerous for both selling and buying parties:

- The shipping and delivery are done through professional logistics programs with the vehicle insured against damage
- Payment is transmitted to the third party and held until the buyer receives the vehicle
- Tracking the payment and the shipping/delivery progress
- Buyer entitled to an inspection period after the delivery, test and verify the vehicle and also the documentation (with private or professional assistance)
- Buyer can choose not to accept the vehicle if it does not satisfies expectations or it is not as described
- The seller has no access to the payment until buyer's acceptance of the vehicle is confirmed
- Buyer can be fully refunded at the end of the inspection period if decided not to keep the vehicle or while transaction is in progress if delivery terms are not meet

In conclusion, if you consider purchasing this vehicle we encourage you to follow the procedure pointed by the seller as there are no risks involved into this transaction.
If you require more details about the vehicle please contact the seller directly. If you have any questions related to the steps to follow or the safety of the transaction please contact the third party company.
Please note that this transaction is not mediated by Autotrader, we only verified the legitimacy at the request of the seller.

If you received an email stating that this seller is fraudulent please disregard it as we only finished investigating now.

However, please note that whilst we have policies in place to deter and prevent unethical and fraudulent activities, we have no liability in respect of any loss and/or damage that you may suffer as a result of your dealings with an advertiser and/or your purchase of a vehicle advertised on our website.

Thank you for using Auto Trader.

ADDITIONAL SERVICES

Insurance
=========
With one search we will find you the best quote from over 30 leading insurance providers.
Click here*http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/owning/insurance_centre.jsp
For AOL customers and customers who receive the Technical Difficulties page please cut and paste the above URL into your internet browser.

Cheap Loans
===========
Submit your preferences online to find the best rates in the market.
Click here*http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/buying/finance_centre.jsp
For AOL customers and customers who receive the Technical Difficulties page please cut and paste the above URL into your internet browser.

Auto Trader Vehicle Check
=========================
Get the complete picture of your new car with a vehicle check from Auto Trader.
Click here*http://www.vehiclecheck.co.uk

Regards,
Customer Services

Note: This is not an automated e-mail message.

NSX 2000
24-02-2010, 05:03 PM
I have a car for sale (not an NSX) and got these emails

If so can I view it on Sunday?

My reply

Hi ****
Yes the car is still for sale, only put advert up Monday, and yes you could view it Sunday.

Regards

Paul

His reply back

Hi Paul

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am in Sheffield so I will look into the logistics as if I like it I will pay cash and take it away which means organising a lift or a train. Would it be possible to meet at a services on the M1 near London or is that too far for you?

Regards

My reply back

Hi ****

Sorry I have 2 little nippers that need looking after, so would not be able to meet you any where. However I do only live a 3 minute walk from our local train station which has a frequent service to and from London.

Paul.
Guess what I've had no reply :eek: