PDA

View Full Version : Improving NSX Power?

NSXesque
09-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Sorry, probably a bit of a tedious question on here but I was wondering how difficult to improve the power in the NSX was.
I drove one for the first time a couple of weeks ago and must admit to being blown away by it. I was expecting nothing at all from a 15 year old car with a rubbish interior and seemingly no power but I love the looks so much and have read the opinions so decided to give it a go.

A coupe of factors prevented me from buying it but I utterly loved it.
I cant even put my finger on why I liked it so much.
It is close to perfect for me, but for the power.
I found acceleration and general power noticably weak and thought for the supercar package it was the only let down.
I know this isnt the end of the world but it makes the difference to me between it being the utterly perfect car that Ive been looking for and another car that I will keep for a year and move on.

So are there affordable options to make the NSX noticably quicker i.e. supercharging?
Im assuming not as so many seem to be relatively standard but interested to hear
Thanks

NSXGB
09-10-2009, 02:07 PM
It is close to perfect for me, but for the power.

....and the rubbish interior....

Supercharging is an option.

Rob_Fenn
09-10-2009, 02:11 PM
There are various supercharger and turbo conversions that have been well tested in the States, so bang for buck that has to be a way.

We're developing 400bhp-500bhp naturally aspirated engines but it's a considerably expensive route to take.

AR
09-10-2009, 02:47 PM
There are various supercharger and turbo conversions that have been well tested in the States, so bang for buck that has to be a way.

We're developing 400bhp-500bhp naturally aspirated engines but it's a considerably expensive route to take.

There is a big difference between 400 and 500 bhp in NA.

AR
09-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Supercharging is an option.

You'll have to spend between £6.5K plus shipping, duties, etc and then add install and small parts. Say £9 to 10K.

NSXesque
09-10-2009, 03:30 PM
What kind of gains might you get from supercharging?
Does increased power spoil the handling/feel/sound?

That said, I probably wouldnt spend that kind of money anyway realistically as it would be half the value of a car I would busget and certainly not recoverable in resale.
But then again.....:)

NSXesque
09-10-2009, 03:32 PM
....and the rubbish interior....

:D True, but you really dont notice it once you start driving.I never thought Id say that. Ive always considered nice interiors a vital part of a car.

AR
09-10-2009, 03:43 PM
What kind of gains might you get from supercharging?
Does increased power spoil the handling/feel/sound?

That said, I probably wouldnt spend that kind of money anyway realistically as it would be half the value of a car I would busget and certainly not recoverable in resale.
But then again.....:)

Depends on the SC, engine mods, fuel system etc, from 60 to ...

AR
09-10-2009, 03:52 PM
On a 3.0 headers and exhaust alone will net you around 20 BHP.

Loose the useless spare and with the weight loss from the headers and exhaust you are well in front.

I would say that a stock NSX is a pretty decent car in the power department.

Get to know it first, then mod it seems to be the best advice.

NSX 2000
09-10-2009, 05:35 PM
You could ask TDi in Essex for a price on fitting a Turbo, IIRC they have fitted one, and I do know they look after one.

HTH

Paul.

AR
09-10-2009, 05:55 PM
You could ask TDi in Essex for a price on fitting a Turbo, IIRC they have fitted one, and I do know they look after one.

HTH

Paul.

Someone I know had several issues with them, from mapping to putting coil covers on the wrong way!

TheSebringOne
09-10-2009, 10:00 PM
A member here called Amo is currently going down the SC route I think, aiming for 400-500 bhp? Can you confirm Amo?

Heres a link to SC with a reputable company in the States

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/FI_power.asp

amo
09-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Someone I know had several issues with them, from mapping to putting coil covers on the wrong way!

yes thats all try paid a big ass price but work not good mmmmmmmmm

hows u mr AR will ring you soon
thx amo

amo
09-10-2009, 10:56 PM
A member here called Amo is currently going down the SC route I think, aiming for 400-500 bhp? Can you confirm Amo?

Heres a link to SC with a reputable company in the States

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/FI_power.asp

yes there is now 2 on here with about 400 i need more so im goin around 600+ now
just to beat some of the big boys around london mmmmmmmmmm

400 is very nice sc and feels good

thx amo

AR
09-10-2009, 10:57 PM
yes thats all try paid a big ass price but work not good mmmmmmmmm

hows u mr AR will ring you soon
thx amo

All is well mate just PMed you off to be now . :)

Rob_Fenn
10-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I've spoke to TDI about their Toda stuff in their past, i think they quoted £30k for the fitting of all their engine bits. I would say the are more mechanics than engineers... i wouldn't go with them.

Ultimatley an engine is an engine, any competent engine builder could improve the NSX engine.

Rob_Fenn
10-10-2009, 06:14 PM
There is a big difference between 400 and 500 bhp in NA.

To clarify, 1x400bhp and 1x500bhp.

AR
10-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Rob, 400 I don't doubt is achievable with stroker kit, cams, ITBs raised limiter etc, but 500 NA... Unless you chuck an LS7 in the back!

What sort of fuel will you run on these?

Rob_Fenn
10-10-2009, 08:16 PM
It's from Sunoco, but really no better than V Power. 500bhp isn't easy for sure, but is essential when our Mosler rivals make it easily from their 7 litres. But then it's not meant to be for a shopping car! Bear in mind GT cars do it with a intake restrictor...

AR
10-10-2009, 08:22 PM
It's from Sunoco, but really no better than V Power. 500bhp isn't easy for sure, but is essential when our Mosler rivals make it easily from their 7 litres. But then it's not meant to be for a shopping car! Bear in mind GT cars do it with a intake restrictor...

Isn't 360 the maximum BHP for JGTC cars with restrictors?

Rob_Fenn
12-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Isn't that just the ex-500 cars that were restricted to be eligble for the 300 class?

"Was simply a detuned GT500 car when the M-Tec team decided to drop down a class in 2004. They ran the car as a 'trainer' to accustom drivers for GT500 speeds."

I think the most developed GT NSX at the moment is the Real Racing one, it is N/A but goes up to 4.0.

simonprelude
12-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I didn't think the GT500 cars have a C32 in them though, well unless it's stroked / bored?

Engine: Custom-built Honda engine, water-cooled V6 Normally aspirated (Longitudial-mounted), 3.494 liters, DOHC, 4-valves per cylinder

Rob_Fenn
13-10-2009, 03:59 PM
I suppose it depends on how you define custom. The rules state it has to be an engine from the manufacturer, so i imagine they start with C32B.