PDA

View Full Version : Rear fog lights

Paul
17-08-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm the proud owner of a '96 NSX ... however, the MoT has just expired and I want to get the unsatisfactory bolt on rear fog light replaced by a more suitable long term mod.

I've searched for "fog" and "light" in the foruyms, but there seems little information on this partiucular subject.

Has anyone had a JDM rear light cluster replaced with a UK one so a single fog light can be used in one cluster and a reverse light in the other?

Any recomendations would be gratefully appreciated.

Kevin
17-08-2005, 09:28 PM
I guess technically you could just replace the left side cluster, as that has the fog light. However... JDM and UK rear lights are a slightly different shade, I think.

Guess the best option is to try a breakers. Maybe www.japparts.com?

lotusolly
17-08-2005, 10:25 PM
There have been a set of uk rear lights on ebay a couple of times recently. haven't noticed if they sold but it might be worth keeping watch to see if they reappear.

Olly

NSXGB
23-08-2005, 08:17 AM
The rear light clusters were on eBay the other day and did not sell. I think they were asking for a starting bid of £28 per side with £10 delivery, which 'aint too sad.

ctrlaltdelboy
23-08-2005, 02:05 PM
the JDM lenses are darker than the UK/euro lenses which are in turn darker than the US lenses, so mix'n'match is not an option as it will look wrong

Paul, you may wish to re-wire the o/s reversing bulb (of the 2 either side of the 'H') to connect to the fog-light circuit rather than the reverse switch, and then replace the clear bulb with a red 21W one - job done.

Paul
25-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Cheers folks, I'll let you know the final decision when the job is done, with costs and reasons etc.

lotusolly
25-08-2005, 09:47 PM
A friend tried converting a light in the cluster to a fog light on an imported vitara. Used 21w bulb as Darren suggested but when he took it for SVA they knocked it back because the light was not bright enough! I'm not sure on facts but i think a fog light uses a different type of reflector but you will probably also find a M.O.T. station would probably not be as vigilant as an SVA inspector!

Olly

02-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Maybe a little on the funny side, the lengths we have to go to get the car through the MOT…
My car being a left hand drive because 99% of my driving is in Europe (but British registered), when I go to the MOT I hang a Halfords mist lamp on a piece of thin flat tin strip, I close the boot and it sticks out the back. Boing boing…real classy. Can’t really drive it like that because it bounces around. Then, wire cutters in hand, I ask the MOT man if he really IS going to make me cut the nice new expensive NSX wire to splice the Halfords light in. You should see the inspectors face! But the guy finally gave up and passed it without me having to cut/splice the wire. I took it off as soon as it passed.
I agree that the mist lamp should be on the drivers side but the NSX light is as good as in the middle… I really hate cars that have two mist lamps, don’t you?
On the headlights, I put duct tape, but the guy has to be quick because the heat melts the glue and the tape sags down the lens. What a mess. And the lights were too low so I had the lift the bumper of the car a little while he tested it. (the adjusters are loose so they don’t move the lamps anymore, but I found the solution on NSX prime)
We had quite a funny time at the MOT…
I know you want to do it properly. So this is not for you, but I couldn’t resist sharing my mist lamp experience…
Peter

Paul
14-09-2005, 04:35 PM
MoT'd the otehr day ... simple aftermarket rear fog light bolted on under rear bumper for now ... I rather like the fack that I have three tail lights per cluster, as opposed to the sngle one for UK cars (to the best of my knowledge) so I might trade in one on each side and see about getting one on each side converted to a fog light. This will mean I can lose my horrible bolt on job and still keep a bit of individuality ... whilst still looking like everyone else, till it's night time.

britlude
29-09-2005, 03:40 PM
hi,mines a *** import, where they don't worry about such things..

before I got the car the innermost pair of brake lights have been wired for fogs, but still using the same bulbs/holders/etc..

Ok, so I only have 1 brake lamp per side, but there is the rear-wing LED 'light-sabre' to make up for it!

with this method I still have the 3 side/tail lights per side...

Hope this helps