PDA

View Full Version : Alarm / immob - important!

havoc
22-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I've noticed that the remote-fob is a combined alarm/immobiliser system on my car, which re-activates after 2 minutes. It's got a Honda badge on it, so I take it this is the standard system (larger-than-average square fob with very rounded edges). I've also found Sudesh's thread here:-
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=6763&highlight=alarm

Now this worries me (and maybe should worry other members on here with the OE system!)!
- My S2000 had a Hamilton-Palmer alarm system (badged as Honda!), which was a combined alarm-immobiliser, despite the chip-in-key immobiliser built in to the S2000.
- There was no "override" built into the system, so if the key-fob failed, the alarm and immobiliser would stay on (!)
- Hamilton Palmer appear to have been, from what I can gather, the 'lowest bidder' (I was told by Honda UK that the factory alarm system on the S2000 wasn't deemed good-enough!!! :rolleyes: ), and a LOT of S2000 owners found the H-P circuit-boards failing (failing ON!) anywhere from 2y.o. onwards. The cars then had to be recovered (including mine) to a garage to have the system removed or replaced.

Signs that mine was failing included random firing of the alarm system in the few weeks before, which went undiagnosed by Honda. And getting recovered from work when it died for good was a right pain - am just glad it didn't do it when we were in Kent the weekend before.

So:-
- can anyone confirm if ours IS a Hamilton-Palmer system?
- has anyone here had their OE system fail on them?
- for those who've replaced theirs, how easy was it to access the circuit-board and wiring?
- (Importantly) does the NSX have a chip-in-key immobiliser system as standard? i.e. if replacing the H-P system, would a stand-alone piggy-back alarm be enough?
- can anyone recommend a replacement?

Cheers,

Martin.

simonprelude
22-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Depending on the age of the car there is an immobilser in the key (mine was a 1997) and it's obvious from the key. I think it's the same as all other Honda chip keys.

Sudesh
22-09-2009, 12:27 PM
I've noticed that the remote-fob is a combined alarm/immobiliser system on my car, which re-activates after 2 minutes. It's got a Honda badge on it, so I take it this is the standard system (larger-than-average square fob with very rounded edges). I've also found Sudesh's thread here:-
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=6763&highlight=alarm

Now this worries me (and maybe should worry other members on here with the OE system!)!
- My S2000 had a Hamilton-Palmer alarm system (badged as Honda!), which was a combined alarm-immobiliser, despite the chip-in-key immobiliser built in to the S2000.
- There was no "override" built into the system, so if the key-fob failed, the alarm and immobiliser would stay on (!)
- Hamilton Palmer appear to have been, from what I can gather, the 'lowest bidder' (I was told by Honda UK that the factory alarm system on the S2000 wasn't deemed good-enough!!! :rolleyes: ), and a LOT of S2000 owners found the H-P circuit-boards failing (failing ON!) anywhere from 2y.o. onwards. The cars then had to be recovered (including mine) to a garage to have the system removed or replaced.

Signs that mine was failing included random firing of the alarm system in the few weeks before, which went undiagnosed by Honda. And getting recovered from work when it died for good was a right pain - am just glad it didn't do it when we were in Kent the weekend before.

So:-
- can anyone confirm if ours IS a Hamilton-Palmer system?
- has anyone here had their OE system fail on them?
- for those who've replaced theirs, how easy was it to access the circuit-board and wiring?
- (Importantly) does the NSX have a chip-in-key immobiliser system as standard? i.e. if replacing the H-P system, would a stand-alone piggy-back alarm be enough?
- can anyone recommend a replacement?

Cheers,

Martin.

Hi Martin,

When I spoke to Honda they told me that they never made a GENUINE Honda alarm for the UK NSX or most of the HONDA models for that matter. They told me that any alarms they fitted where made by Hamilton-Palmer.

I'm not sure exactially how you identify if the one you have is Hamilton & Palmer but a possible sure sign would be, Honda labeled components such as Key Fob with Honda or a H on it, The Siren with a Honda sticker and so forth.

I currently have another NSX in for Refresh, 1992 UK car, and it has a fairly old looking system from what I can see. Its also labeled as Honda and has a grey 1 button key fob, the car also has a manual switch off incase the battery dies in the fob.

I have not seen the chip in key on an NSX yet but, heard later cars may have this.

Removing the system you have completely; would depend on the wiring and tracking it all back from the alarm brain. In some cases you may be able to replace just the brain and key fobs with a new one, retain the wiring and adapt to that! It would save alot of cutting or de-soldering etc.

Any other system like Clifford, Laser etc is good and you can pick a thatchem approved which can help with insurance.

gumball
27-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Mine's failed, will not turn off. I'm now thinking where to get her carried to. :(

Senninha
27-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Mine's failed, will not turn off. I'm now thinking where to get her carried to. :(

CAll Brian at Norton Way. MIne didn;t fail but I only had one key fob. Long story cuut short, but he ended up replacing the alarm system and supplying new keys/fobs. All seemed very BAU.

regards, Paul

gumball
27-09-2009, 08:45 AM
CAll Brian at Norton Way. MIne didn;t fail but I only had one key fob. Long story cuut short, but he ended up replacing the alarm system and supplying new keys/fobs. All seemed very BAU.

regards, Paul

Does he do call outs? or who should I get to carry her the hundred miles or so?

Senninha
27-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Does he do call outs? or who should I get to carry her the hundred miles or so?

I've seen them collect other cars on a flat bed so maybe they can recover. Not sure they would dispatch and engineer that distance, but worth asking in the morning. If you do use them, mention NSXCB for 10% discount.

regards and good luck

Paul

gumball
27-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks, it's at least nice to know I'm not alone. :)