View Full Version : Just found my new car

NSX 2000
09-09-2009, 10:54 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8238430.stm

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=20577

:drool::drool::drool:

markc
09-09-2009, 11:16 AM
They've chosen to launch it in a fabulous colour (well almost) as well ;)

More pics here... http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/241471/new_mclaren_supercar.html?CMP=NLC-Newsletters&uid=c406fbd715d52d5a6beb4176f8cba318

Love the pic of the "Burnt Orange" F1 and MP4-12C together... I reckon my IOP would look good next to them :D

Cheers

Mark

simonprelude
09-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Looks too much like the heap that is the Farbio GTS to me :(

markc
09-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Just perusing the pics again and actually there's a hint of NSX in the cabin/dashboard architecture... sloping centre console, matching door arm rests etc

Noooo Simon, much nicer than the Farbio and in a different league, and hence price, w.r.t chassis and drivetrain. Certainly not as striking as the new Fezza (458), which of course looks like the Honda HSC :(

Not lovin' the fact that it (the Macca) uses a turbo engine though. I guess that's the only way they could get the power and the emissions they wanted.

Cheers

Mark

NSX 2000
09-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Just perusing the pics again and actually there's a hint of NSX in the cabin/dashboard architecture... sloping centre console, matching door arm rests etc

I thought the exact same thing :)

Noooo Simon, much nicer than the Farbio and in a different league, and hence price, w.r.t chassis and drivetrain. Certainly not as striking as the new Fezza (458), which of course looks like the Honda HSC :(

Not lovin' the fact that it (the Macca) uses a turbo engine though. I guess that's the only way they could get the power and the emissions they wanted.

Cheers

Mark

I thought this looked more like the HSC than the fezza :undecided:

gumball
09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Very retro, mid nineties look. I'm sure it will drive well though.

AR
09-09-2009, 03:00 PM
FN2 interior, HSC, Saleen S7 and F430 looks.

:rolleyes:

If you want that kind of power spend 20K on a nice low comp T set up for the NSX.

JQD84983
09-09-2009, 06:17 PM
If goes anything like this one it will be the mutts nuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFLQAEiO7xo

Reckon it will be a great handler.

gumball
09-09-2009, 07:53 PM
If goes anything like this one it will be the mutts nuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFLQAEiO7xo

Reckon it will be a great handler.

Hmm, me thinks it won't as there are more expensive cars in the pipe line.
Why has Nick Mason put a ten bob Radical paint job on his car? :confused:

Senninha
10-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Wow ... IMHO this is absolutely on the money both in design terms and clearly from the engineering and F1 experience being deployed . ..

http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_658/car_photo_329263_25.jpg (javascript:self.close();)

I agree its not as stunning as the 458 but in 20 yrs time which will be the classic that moved the game on again .... :)

Lets hope the planned family expansion retains some of this 'timeless' styling and is sensibly priced to facilitate ownership in years to come :D

As for the Farbio, not even in the same league.

regards, Paul

Senninha
10-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Why has Nick Mason put a ten bob Radical paint job on his car? :confused:

Err, because he can ... what a dilema he has ehh ... the 250 or the F1 :rolleyes:

NSXGB
10-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Wow ... IMHO this is absolutely on the money both in design terms and clearly from the engineering and F1 experience being deployed . ..

http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_658/car_photo_329263_25.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:self.close();)

I agree its not as stunning as the 458 but in 20 yrs time which will be the classic that moved the game on again .... :)

Lets hope the planned family expansion retains some of this 'timeless' styling and is sensibly priced to facilitate ownership in years to come :D

As for the Farbio, not even in the same league.

regards, Paul

....they've taken weight saving a bit too far there.... :rolleyes:

markc
10-09-2009, 10:22 AM
....they've taken weight saving a bit too far there.... :rolleyes:

:)

I'd expect the roof pillars to be part of that central "survival cell"? Maybe it's not included just to give a better view for the press photo? Doesn't matter how strong the raw material is, fashioning it into "box" rather than a "tray" is immeasurably stronger.

Not having a go at you Targa boys honest ;)

Talking of which, no doubt the family will include a full convertible or targa. I hope they do a super lightweight (750kg) non turbo :D

Does anyone know the all up weight for the car? I didn't see it in any of the blub. My guess is about 1100Kg

Cheers

Mark

gumball
10-09-2009, 09:44 PM
I feel sorry for Ascari, they couldn't sell their cars before, now McLaren have made one that looks similar(probably drives better) but for half the price.

Senninha
10-09-2009, 10:06 PM

.............Talking of which, no doubt the family will include a full convertible or targa. I hope they do a supperlightweight (750kg) non turbo :D

Does anyone know the all up weight for the car? I didn't see it in any of the blub. My guess is about 1100Kg

Cheers

Mark

Autocar quotes it as being under 1400kg (must be all the damned computers :rolleyes:)

As for a drop top ... they'd have to respond to market demand from all the poncy footy players wanting to show off the hair do's!!!!

regards, Paul

gumball
11-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Talking of which, no doubt the family will include a full convertible or targa. I hope they do a supperlightweight (750kg) non turbo :D

No reason why not, they'd only have to lose about 650kg :doh:

markc
11-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I feel sorry for Ascari, they couldn't sell their cars before, now McLaren have made one that looks similar(probably drives better) but for half the price.

The cooking version of the Ascari, the KZ1, was, and is a lovely thing. One of my favourites :)

Autocar quotes it as being under 1400kg (must be all the damned computers :rolleyes:)

OMG 1400Kg!!! That's waaay heavy given the CF technology on show. Interestingly Ascari claimed 1250Kg for the KZ1.

No reason why not, they'd only have to lose about 650kg :doh:

Yes indeed, that target weight wouldn't be possible when you're starting at 1400Kg. If it were starting at 1200Kg, a 900Kg non turbo "Superlight" might be possible.

Cheers

Mark

markc
11-09-2009, 07:23 PM
The press release for the MP4-12C has 60 (sixty) instances of the word "weight" but fails to mention the actual weight of the car! I wouldn't mind betting that it's actually closer to, if not sub, 1200Kg?

As a comparison the F1 was 1140Kg, sure it has zero luxuries but the technology should be lighter. Certainly computing power in 2009 should be about 1/10th of the weight for 100 times more processing power than it was in 1992.

Ferrari are claiming 1380Kg for the 458 Italia.

Cheers

Mark

NSX 2000
12-09-2009, 09:15 AM
The press release for the MP4-12C has 60 (sixty) instances of the word "weight" but fails to mention the actual weight of the car! I wouldn't mind betting that it's actually closer to, if not sub, 1200Kg?

As a comparison the F1 was 1140Kg, sure it has zero luxuries but the technology should be lighter. Certainly computing power in 2009 should be about 1/10th of the weight for 100 times more processing power than it was in 1992.

Ferrari are claiming 1380Kg for the 458 Italia.

Cheers

Mark

After scanning the full PDF doc I would concur with you, they have even managed to get the brakes to weigh less than Carbon Ceramic ones:eek:

Nick Graves
12-09-2009, 06:59 PM
When one considers the mass of the NSX & Evora, it's hardly surprising, it's so heavy.

Bear in mind that the racing 124 Evora, stripped of FREDs & leather is down by over 100kgs...

Still, It's reassuring that I'm not alone in spotting the McL as a potentially worthy sequel to the NSX/HSC...

TheSebringOne
12-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Lets hope that Maclaren get this car right especially with all that R & D and F1 know how! Even though the F1 is my fave car, it was very twitchy on the limit, compared to say a F40? Interesting to see if Ron has influence some of the design now thats hes concentrating on road cars after F1? They are gambling with their reputation introducing a new car in the middle of a global downturn, but I'm sure they will succeed and theres enough rich people out there that want something different from Italians.

Senninha
14-09-2009, 05:49 PM
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=20611

Update from Evo is that weight is in at 1300kg. As you say, surprising given the CF technology. Even more when you read the point as Paul refers ref the std discs weighing less than the track focused carbon brakes.

The more I've read, the more I like almost everything about this car. The one thing at present I dont like ... the gullwing doors :no:

Also, reading Evo it would suggest that the passenger cell could form the basis of all both the junior and senior versions. I wonder if the junior version will come with a turbo'd V6, no gullwings and a price to compete with the R8 / 997?

regards, Paul