PDA

View Full Version : Warranty for an older car?

havoc
08-09-2009, 12:32 PM
As my budget prevents me getting a facelift, any car I'd buy would be >8 years old, which means the good Hondacare warranty isn't available, only an "HF1" (HFU1?), which has a claims limit of £500 (handy...:rolleyes:).

So 2 questions:-
- Would YOU get a warranty for an e.g. 10-15 year-old NSX?*
- If so, where would you recommend? (Or recommend against?)

Thanks,

Martin.

* I know they're Hondas, but with all the stories of failing a/c compressors, PAS ECU's, air-con circuit boards, etc. etc., and the prices being bandied around, I think I'd rather not take a chance if there's a half-decent option around.

WhyOne?
08-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Hi Martin!

This is not going to be the most helpful response I am afraid......nothing like getting in a bit of 'expectation management' early!

I am not aware of any warranties worth the paper they are written on for an NSX once it is out of the reach of 'proper' HondaCare.

Your concern is of course reasonable.

When I bought Y1 I had about 18 months extended warranty remaining. The a/c compressor & clutch packed up & it was all dealt with under warranty - I am told this little lot would have cost me over £1200 without the warranty.

Y1 is now out of warranty....do I worry?

A little.

There are clearly things which could fail on the car with would cost a small fortune to fix. I therefore take every opportunity to maintain the car as thoroughly as sensibly possible - including preventative items - for example when the cambelt was replaced last year, I also replaced the tensioner and whilst my a/c was working OK, but I had Kaz replace the capacitors on the CCU board. None of which 100% protects me from a nasty failure of course.

If something bad does happen, I console myself with the belief that I (with the help of this forum & parts vendors abroad) can source parts at a significant discount on the prices offered by Honda UK.

Not sure if any of that helps, but just my 2p's worth!

JQD84983
08-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi Martin!

I am not aware of any warranties worth the paper they are written on for an NSX once it is out of the reach of 'proper' HondaCare.

My experience exactly. These policies are worthless. My dad has had issue with an 8K 18 month old motorhome sold with this policy. Had some problems and all the Insurance company (as that's what these warranties are) quote is wear and tear. In 8K? ridiculous.

Yes there is going to be issues with an older car but for me you may as well put the 500 quid towards a "possible" failure rather than spending it and getting nothing from these sharks

Just my opinion

Cheers

John

AR
08-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Those policies are usually not worth the paper they are written on.

Use some of that money to get yourself a Honda/Acura NSX workshop manual it will help loads for any little or big jobs.

If the $hit hits the fan use Prime and this site to find out some more info.

We are lucky in the UK to have someone like Kaz who can ddo a lot of the things that most dealers won't do.

If the AC goes or similar things there are loads of used parts available in the US and UK. Worse case you can get them new from the US or Japan.

Do try to get a car with a full history and if possible buy from an enthusiast.

Cheers,

AR

TheSebringOne
08-09-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure theres much choice in warranties on older cars, I thought about signing up to a company called Warranty Direct a few years ago but even this stopped once the car is 10 yrs olds. So long as the car have been serviced & checked over at the regular intervals as stated in the driver's manual/service book and a careful owner who cares about their P & J makes sure everything is in order, then thats enough piece of mind for me. Even better now that we have Kaz on board with his valuable insight & vast experience in dealing with NSX.