PDA

View Full Version : NSX thinking of enrolling for weightwatchers

Martin
10-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Hello all

I was playing around with the idea of removing (unnecessary) car parts from my NSX with the intention of weight-saving.

Has anyone already done this? If so, what have you had removed, and what was the weight of the parts? In reality, I probably wont do this, but if I can make a significant weight-saving then I think I will be interested.

Ciaran
10-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Hi Martin,

Try the Dali weight loss program, lots of good tips at zero (or close!!) cost.

Try this

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/weight_loss/weight_loss_cost_matrix.cfm

Ciaran

11-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Hello Martin,
I noticed that the body panels between the door glass and the engine cover glass weigh a ton. I have heard that the air scoops are really heavy too. They are made of the same material as the body panel above is, so they must be a ton. They would be the first things I would replace with carbon, I think. The exhaust muffler is also very heavy. Dirk (on NSX Prime) in Germany removed the steel behind the bumpers, he said that added up to something, especially the side plates in the sides (ends) of the bumpers, because they wouldn’t do anything in a crash anyway.
Peter

Kevin
11-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Hi Peter,

It's not hard to remove weight to down to NSXR levels at least. My car as you saw it last year at Spa, was only 30kg heavier than a NSXR. I have the radio, and air-con still in, as well as all the bumper beams, and carpets/sound proofing that you are talking about.

I've had some more weight savings done after Spa, and still have more to do soon.

Martin
16-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Ciaran,
Thanks very much for the link. Very useful. Also, hello to another Irish NSX oxner. :wink: Maybe we can catch up the next time i bring the nsx thro' pembroke-rosslare to see my friends and family in Ireland.

Peter,
Thanks also for your hints on fighting the NSX flab!

Kevin,
Impressive! Could you possibly let me know what you did to get the weight down, ie
1 which parts
2 weights of parts
3 cost of removing/replacing parts.

Anyone,
Does anyone know how much the air con system weighs in total?

Martin

Kevin
16-08-2005, 06:35 PM
First mine is a 1992 coupe, which apart from the 2002 model is probably going to be the lightest car to start with.

1. Replace seats with racing ones. Easy enough, but you will need to get mounts, as generic ones aren't available. I made my own. Cost £200 for each seat.

2. Replace spring/dampers. Replaced with TEIN RE. Can get these in the UK now. Cost £1600?

3. Remove spare. Cost £0

4. Remove fog lights. Cost £0

5. Replace engine cover with carbon fibre one. Cost £250. I had it specially made.

6. Replace clutch, plus lightweight flywheel. Cost £1100.

7. The speakers were removed, though going to be re-added.

8. Removed rear wing, replaced with bigger GT style wing. I made my own.

Changes made after this weigh-in;

Aluminium front brake calipers. Much lighter than standard. £lots.

Stereo coming out, iPod going in. Also using CF centre console.

Battery changed to the tiniest of Odyssey batteries. £145.

Cats now gone.

Future plans;

Replace bumper beams with ali ones. Making my own.

Replace rear bumper cover (surprisingly heavy), with thinner cf / fibreglass one. Making that too.

Probably some other stuff........

I don't know how much each of these changes weighs. I can't be bothered to measure everything. As long as what goes on the car weighs less than what comes off, I'm happy.

If your going to remove weight, try and do as much as you can to the rear end.

Ciaran
16-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi Martin,

Cool....didn't know you were a local. Give me a call next time your coming through, I live about 10 mins from the Ferry.

You weren't thinking of visiting home around the second weekend in October????? The Porsche boys have a track day in Mondello on Sunday 16th they love any & all exotic gear, and we are made very welcome, great track too. Let me know.

Rob_Fenn
11-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Useful thread! Thanks.

david_f
01-02-2006, 05:39 PM
I've reduced the weight of my NSX by around 125kg. Biggest saving is to trash the air con (100kg!).

Mine's stripped of everything inside, apart from original dash. Electric seats have been replaced with lightweight Recaros. The only weight gain is an FIA approved rollcage and slightly heavier wheels/tyres/brakes.

Very quick now!!

Cheers, David.

Martin
02-02-2006, 05:07 PM
100kg for air con? Wow.

Do you know the weight distribution between front and back on the 100kg?

Cheers,
Martin

david_f
02-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Yep!

Front 40.2% rear 59.8%.

Cheers, David.

simonprelude
03-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Is that the current distribution or the distribution that the A/C occupies ??

Yep!

Front 40.2% rear 59.8%.

Cheers, David.

david_f
03-02-2006, 11:49 AM
That's the distribution once everthing has been taken out and other parts fitted (e.g. rollcage).

Cheers, David.

Martin
03-02-2006, 06:13 PM
David

Do you know the weight distribution of the A/C front and back?

Cheers,
Martin

david_f
03-02-2006, 06:26 PM
The short answer is no but given that the twin radiators are right at the front and most of the rest of the gubbins is under the dash, I'd estimate the weight saving as 75% front to 25% rear.

Cheers, David.