PDA

View Full Version : Car magazine: influentuial Japanese cars

DamianW
17-08-2009, 03:17 PM
I think there's a piece on this in the forthcoming magazine, but meantime this might interest you lot:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Community/Car-Magazines-Blogs/Gavin-Green-Blog/Gavin-Green---what-makes-Japanese-cars-tick

TheSebringOne
17-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Great read, once again the writer thinks the R8 is the new NSX! A bit late when this was discussed here a while back!

simonprelude
18-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Great read, once again the writer thinks the R8 is the new NSX! A bit late when this was discussed here a while back!

I'll find out later.

Senninha
18-08-2009, 08:14 AM
I'll find out later.

Love the interior which does make the NSX show its age/classic status. Even like the drive and handling, the one I drove had the electronic aids :rolleyes:. Owner says its a must have for resale. Are you driving one with or without electrics?? My problem is that I still dont have any warmth for the styling and dont get me started on those b****y LED's :angry:

When parking and getting out, dont forget that the edge of the door is about 8" behind the window line otherwise you'll have some expensive alli dents to repair.

Be interested in your thoughts

regards, Paul

markc
18-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Once again the writer thinks the R8 is the new NSX! A bit late when this was discussed here a while back!

Only if it's the V8 R8. IMHO the V10 version a) has ugly wheels b) doesn't sound as good (as the V8) and c) misses the "sweet spot" occupied by the V8's power/weight combo.

My problem is that I still dont have any warmth for the styling and dont get me started on those b****y LED's :angry:

I believe you can access the cars computer to turn those silly things off... failing that, pull the connector off :)

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
18-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I believe you can access the cars computer to turn those silly things off... failing that, pull the connector off :)

Cheers

Mark

Its ridiculous ... having to access a computer to turn of lights that I dont want in the first place with a computer I can do without ... what was wrong with a simple light switch on the dash or a column stalk? :rolleyes:

regards, Paul

NSX 2000
18-08-2009, 01:52 PM
You do know that day running lights either are or will be law across Europe. (Will have to be fitted to all new cars built from ?) just like the 3rd brake light has been law for x years now.

simonprelude
18-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Hmmm....... don't like the R-Tronic :(

AR
18-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Why go "forward" guys when you can always go back!

Senninha
18-08-2009, 03:46 PM
You do know that day running lights either are or will be law across Europe. (Will have to be fitted to all new cars built from ?) ......

And I need a heavy old computer to operate these? Nah. I generally run with side lights and have done for years. Probably due to the mileage I cover each year (about 40k pa) so as to be more visible. That said, as more cars are now having computers switch on their lights, IMO the use of lights is now actually less effective. Strangely, running in dusk conditions without lights generally gets you more noticed as people flash you to switch on your lights ... go figure that one out!

If manufacturers insist on using computers then at least get an intelligent one installed that resets things like fog lights to the OFF position when the car has been switched off. That would acftully be useful and stop todays less observant (aka ignorant) drivers from driving around at night or in non foggy conditions with the bl***y things still on.

On my daily it is actually impossible to leave them on as they are linked to the 'manual' light switch and if you want them for the next journey you have to switch them on again ... guess this will never catch on being a simple uncomplicated manual process :rolleyes:

Rant over! Steps off soapbox

regards, Paul

Ewan
19-08-2009, 07:04 AM

What about this fella - I'm loving the combo of white with carbon blades, though there are one or two extras that could be done without ... engine bay lighting, indeed!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1153911.htm

The sobering thing is that this spec car would be at RRP, at least £86k. It's a 2008 on 57, so is now getting on for 18 months old - but someone's taken a drop of probably £25k (by the time the dealer's margin is taken into account) for putting 8,000 miles on the car in 18 months. Ouch.

markc
19-08-2009, 09:04 AM
And I need a heavy old computer to operate these? Nah.

Daft isn't it, and so are... auto wipers, auto lights, electrically operated handbrakes, parking sensors etc, etc

Does anyone??? Did you expect to? Seems all these robotised manuals (SMG/F1/R-Tronic/e-gear etc) are useless.

My local Audi centre are going to call me if/when they get a manual R8 in.

What about this fella - I'm loving the combo of white with carbon blades, though there are one or two extras that could be done without ... engine bay lighting, indeed!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1153911.htm

I like that ;) I could live with the engine bay lighting, which is switchable but would loose the built in sat nav though, I hate those big screens built into dashboards :(

The sobering thing is that this spec car would be at RRP, at least £86k. It's a 2008 on 57, so is now getting on for 18 months old - but someone's taken a drop of probably £25k (by the time the dealer's margin is taken into account) for putting 8,000 miles on the car in 18 months. Ouch.

Deprieciation is a fact of life, most new cars loose 50% of their value in the first 3 years. When they're expensive models the loss looks, and is, huge in cash terms!

Specification plays a part too. Omit the wrong options or choose the wrong colour and your car could be worth 1000's less than a ostensibly very similar one. It's why so many people buy silver/grey cars. Even the police do for that very reason these days. As Paul Weller (Going Underground) said... "the public wants what the public gets".

Not sure that a white R8 will be many peoples first choice and will effect it's value.

Best to buy what really like/want when it's at least 3yrs old and then keep it for at least 5yrs to spread then avoid the inevitable deprieciation.

Cheers

Mark

Ewan
19-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Not sure that a white R8 will be many peoples first choice and will effect it's value.

I dunno - it depends on whether white continues to be so fashionable. I think it's going to take a few years before it becomes uncool. Whatever combination you'd go for in an R8, IMHO there has to be a decent contrast between the paint colour and the blades.

IMHO this is minging...
http://images.pistonheads.com/aimg/1169/1169576-1.jpg

I'm really not much of a fan of dark car/light blades either:
http://images.pistonheads.com/aimg/855/855490-2.jpg

And if you're going for a light colour and want to avoid grey/silver, then it's either light blue (:no:) or white.

Anyway, at low-mid £60ks on the used market now, one could get a 2 year old AM Vantage roadster, or not far off a 3 year old Gallardo spyder. I think I'd rather one of them than the Audi, though I do love the look of the R8.

markc
19-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Whatever combination you'd go for in an R8, IMHO there has to be a decent contrast between the paint colour and the blades.

White is indeed undergoing a renaissence at present but it was the sign of a poverty spec model not so many years and still carries that stigma with many people.

Actually I really like Red with Red sideblades. This is the only factory combo where you can match the body and sideblade colour. It does make that rear 3/4 look very heavy and I suspect most people would hate it but hey I drive an metallic orange car so what do I know :)

, at low-mid £60ks on the used market now, one could get a 2 year old AM Vantage roadster, or not far off a 3 year old Gallardo spyder. I think I'd rather one of them than the Audi, though I do love the look of the R8.

I quite like the AM vantage BUT just could not be an AM owner. Using Top Gear vernacular they are, IMHO, the "cocks" of the Super GT world... James Bond wannabe's to a man. "Can you see my emotion control unit in my trouser pocket Miss Moneypenny" ;)

Lambos have always been show-off cars so I tend to give them and their owners a wide berth. Gallardo? maybe but the older ones don't sound right (that V10 moan). Spyder? No way, people could actually see me then I wouldn't be able to deny it :(

Am I an inverted snob or what? :)

Cheers

Mark

markc
19-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Actually I really like Red with Red sideblades.

In fact there's one on Pistonheads... http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1151159.htm

Ewan
19-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Actually, I've never seen a red R8 - it kind of suits that colour. Now with a bit of a contrast, what about red with carbon blades...
http://www.supercar.co.uk/ContentDelivery/VehicleImage.axd?OfficeId=1&VehicleId=600690473&View=3&Width=479&Height=319&DefaultImage=audi&UC=2

Red & Black - what a timeless colour combo :bigsmile:

Nick Graves
19-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Impressed by one on a track, but I really need to drive one to see if it gets anywhere near the NSX's magic. That sort of lightness with delicacy and on the limit feel type thing.

It's an overweight, overly-complex, electronically-corrected Audi; I doubt it somehow.

Gavin Green is still one of the few Car hacks I can read, without the urge to kill...

Funny him rueing how their 'pet marques' always used to win!

DamianW
19-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Back to the topic (instead of discussing sodding R8s!) -

Got Car magazine through the door this morning, and sadly the write-up on the NSX is very disappointing. And not surprising, they picked an original auto! Apparently it "didn't gel". Well it didn't get a great write-up in the day, so I doubt years have improved it. Typically poor facts in there too, presumably gleaned from HUK who know less about the cars than the owners.

In summary: don't waste your money.

havoc
24-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I did the same as Damian - and was similarly disappointed!* Nothing wrong with a 3.0, but why oh why pick an auto?!?

* At least they liked the 'teg! :D

Papalazarou
25-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I read the articles in the doctors the other day. Pretty amazing really. You'd think that they'd get at least a couple of facts right. The interior looking dated thing is older than the interior! Basically, why bother if you're not going to do your homework. Just seems like a massive waste of time. Especially when you consider that motoring journalism is their thing. If it were town and country or some other banal lifestyle magazine I might have forgiven it. But it's not so they suck!!!!!

Cheers,

James.

Ewan
25-08-2009, 06:40 PM
why oh why pick an auto?!?

More to the point, why oh why has H-UK got an Auto that they're handing out to these guys? Octane mag's review had the same one IIRC - http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/features/octane_features/238618/honda_nsx.html

Nick Graves
25-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Unsurprising.

Shortly after the old crew (when Gavin Green was editor) all left, Car sold out and now seems to be written by The Style Wankers. It might as well be Wallpaper magazine.

Green & Kacher are still readable.

simonprelude
25-08-2009, 10:10 PM
My garage.............

Ewan
25-08-2009, 10:12 PM
OK, so it's your garage - but is it your car that's in it, Si?

:laugh:

TheSebringOne
25-08-2009, 10:30 PM
:eek: Simon, theres me thinking you were always a Lambo man at heart!?

Papalazarou
26-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Wow, well I never thought you'd do it! Well done Simon....embrace the materialism!!! However, at this rate this forum's going to need an Audi section!!!

Cheers,

James.

AR
26-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Well done Simon on the arrival of you 1,620 kg new baby LOL

How is compare to the Bulls?

Cheers,

Ary

Silver Surfer
26-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Good substitute for the NSX Simon....Red/black..the best colour! ;)

SS

markc
26-08-2009, 12:15 PM
My garage.............

No pics to give away the transmission type ehh Simon. Does this mean you've gone with the style over substance heard and got yourself an S-tronic? ;)

The V10 wouldn't be my choice but congrats all the same, I hope it give you lots of enjoyment :)

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
26-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi Simon,

A loaner or owner? If the latter then good for you though if I was into that sort of budget this is where I'd spend my money ... http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1138372.htm and have a healthy amount of £££ still in the bank and be less concerned about how quick the residual will nosedive.

http://images.pistonheads.com/aimg/1138/1138372-5t.jpg (javascript:void(0))

If its a loaner (which I suspect), well blagged!!

regards, Paul

markc
26-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi Simon,

A loaner or owner? If the latter then good for you though if I was into that sort of budget this is where I'd spend my money ... http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1138372.htm and have a healthy amount of £££ still in the bank and be less concerned about how quick the residual will nosedive.

http://images.pistonheads.com/aimg/1138/1138372-5t.jpg (javascript:void(0))

If its a loaner (which I suspect), well blagged!!

regards, Paul

Another automatic... are you all going soft :)

Senninha
26-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Another automatic... are you all going soft :)

Just facing the reality of our congested UK roads ... besides, of all the auto's I find the Mercedes system to work very well.

Papalazarou
26-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Less of the sodding Audis already!!! Where's a moderator when you need one? Oh yeah..honeymoon and Switzerland! Come on guys lets get back on topic.
Some of you may remember we were talking about crap journalism.

Cheers,

James.

markc
26-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Less of the sodding Audis already!!! Where's a moderator when you need one? Oh yeah..honeymoon and Switzerland! Come on guys lets get back on topic.
Some of you may remember we were talking about crap journalism.

Cheers,

James.

Ohh OK then... but staying on the auto theme. Without ragging too much on the NSX auto, H.U.K are doing themselves and the NSX a disservice by continually suppling their early/pre-production automatic for magazines to appraise. Unless the publication is specifically doing an article on, like for like, automatic versions they really should supply a manual car.

Tested back to back with other automatic sports cars the NSX came out pretty well. The contempary Porsche (964 & 993) was also 4spd auto.

In fact I'd quite like a NSX Targa Auto to use when the mood and circumstances call for more relaxed, but still rapid, transport.

Cheers

Mark

TheSebringOne
26-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Like Paul (S), I love the idea & exclusivity of the Merc CLK Black, just like a certain JC!

markc
26-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Just facing the reality of our congested UK roads ... besides, of all the auto's I find the Mercedes system to work very well.

That is very true, my daily driver is Merc auto. It's an old E Class though and while the auto itself is pretty smooth the stepped selector/gate is horrible and makes manual overide unpleasant to use. My old Citroen, also an auto, with it's straight P-R-N-D-2-1 (yes it's a 3 speed) selector is better. Our DSG equipped TT Cab, with it's flappy paddle control, is good but still somewhat uninvolving and I mean the gear selection not the car as a whole.

Give me a clutch pedal and a gearstick anytime going fast AND enjoying the experience is on the agenda. As such I'd take a new E92 M3, with manual 'box, over a CLK Black everyday of the week.

Good job we're all differant ehh :)

Cheers

Mark

Ohh bugger I've gone off topic again, sorry James :)

WhyOne?
27-08-2009, 08:51 AM
.........if I was into that sort of budget this is where I'd spend my money ... http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1138372.htm and have a healthy amount of £££ still in the bank and be less concerned about how quick the residual will nosedive.

Well, as we are once again 'off topic' (Mark's fault James!!!!).

Very few modern cars appeal to me (sign of getting old & grumpy I guess).

My money would go on something like this and whilst ownership would probably have moments of great pain, I think it would be much more fun to own and my money more secure than in a 'modern'

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1087488.htm

Senninha
28-08-2009, 02:27 PM

My money would go on something like this .......

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1087488.htm

I bow to your choice and good taste Sir ... this has to be one of the most beautiful cars ever built ....

http://images.pistonheads.com/aimg/1087/1087488-1t.jpg (javascript:void(0))

I have to say that I thought they were a decent amount more to purchase. That said, way out of my league for a weekend special :rolleyes:

regards, Paul

gumball
28-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Like Paul (S), I love the idea & exclusivity of the Merc CLK Black, just like a certain JC!

Jeez, just because Jono Coleman has one.. :rolleyes:

Senninha
28-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Jeez, just because Jono Coleman has one.. :rolleyes:

Thanx for clearing that up ... I thought he was referring to the son of God :)

Papalazarou
28-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Well, as we are once again 'off topic' (Mark's fault James!!!!).

I can't remember what the topic was?!#

The only modern cars that really appeal to me I can either afford to buy but cannot afford to run or can't afford to buy or run.
In many ways I wish I'd never owned an NSX; it's too good for it's own good and makes any other purchase ill advised on often numerous counts.

I've been looking at RS4's and (E92) M3's lately just because I fancy something different, but keep getting snagged up on depreciation and lack of occassion. oh and did I mention running costs?

I sell my NSX buy something German then lose £5K a year thereafter. Buy something different every year I told myself four and a half years ago and I still own an NSX?!

But why do I regularly consider other stuff? Because I don't think we're designed to own the same car forever. I also have a thing for technology and whilst everything else moves on in numerous directions, the NSX stays the same; no paddle shift, no M button, no on the fly adjustable sports suspension, no Ipod etc etc etc.....

I know that's the nature of the beast, but it would just be nice to bring the car into the 21st century. Then perhaps there wouldn't be the seasonal compulsion to sell it.

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
28-08-2009, 06:50 PM
James,

Why not get your techno fill by hiring such cars for odd weekends throughout the year?

It may cost you a few £kk's, but still less than the depriciation of ownership ... and all along you've still got your nice NSX for those special occasions when the simplicity of its design and engineering are all you really need ....

Just a thought buddy

regards, Paul

Papalazarou
29-08-2009, 10:32 AM
James,

Why not get your techno fill by hiring such cars for odd weekends throughout the year?

It may cost you a few £kk's, but still less than the depriciation of ownership ... and all along you've still got your nice NSX for those special occasions when the simplicity of its design and engineering are all you really need ....

Just a thought buddy

regards, Paul

Great advice Paul. It's probably the way to go really.

Cheers,

James.

AR
29-08-2009, 07:50 PM
I also have a thing for technology and whilst everything else moves on in numerous directions, the NSX stays the same; no paddle shift, no M button, no on the fly adjustable sports suspension, no Ipod etc etc etc.....

I know that's the nature of the beast, but it would just be nice to bring the car into the 21st century.

Cheers,

James.

James, most of the things you mentioned can be added to the NSX,

M Power, just get an SC and you'll get an M pedal! :)

Suspension get the tein edfc.

Ipod adapter or headunit.

I actually took my car back to the 20 century with certain add ons and deletes.

The NSX is a blank canvas IMHO.

Cheers,

AR

Papalazarou
31-08-2009, 04:21 PM
James, most of the things you mentioned can be added to the NSX,

M Power, just get an SC and you'll get an M pedal! :)

Suspension get the tein edfc.

Ipod adapter or headunit.

I actually took my car back to the 20 century with certain add ons and deletes.

The NSX is a blank canvas IMHO.

Cheers,

AR

I know what you mean Ary, but there's no substitiute for a whole new experience and whatever you do to an NSX it will still be an NSX.

I've considered a number of mods over the last few years. Suspension is a good call and although I'm not keen on the Tein stuff, I really like the sound of the Moton/KW kits.
The supercharger route sounds attractive, but it's the extra cost; clutch, rolling road hours, brakes, harware ect.. that puts me off.
With regard to Ipod connections, well not sure where to go with that. Can you adapt the standard head unit to use an ipod connection?

I guess the attraction of a different car is the plug and play simplicity of it. That's not to say that I'm not looking forward to seeing your car when it's finished, I just don't have the conviction to go there myself.

Cheers,

James.

NSXGB
31-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Can you adapt the standard head unit to use an ipod connection?

Yes..............

Ewan
31-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Yes..............

Works great - http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4771

The CD changer is HEAVY too :)

Nick Graves
31-08-2009, 05:41 PM
James,

If it's any consolation, I'm already stuck there with my lightly-modded S2000 & Prelude!

It'd be likely that if I ever get to keep an NSX, it'll be around for years too.

With a few sympathetic upgrades.

Actually, I like the way one can take Bristols back to the factory to have them upgraded & renovated; the only modern luxury car with any real class!

JQD84983
31-08-2009, 08:25 PM
James,
Actually, I like the way one can take Bristols back to the factory to have them upgraded & renovated; the only modern luxury car with any real class!

Trouble is you need a balaclava to drive one :)

Rolls Royce Phantom is classy. The Bristol is just ugly and out of date.

Sorry but they look terrible, drive terribly and are just an anachronism to me.