PDA

View Full Version : Early NSX

peachey
12-08-2009, 09:54 AM
I have a very low mileage 1991 NSX (under 5,000 miles) which I have owned since new. The car is off the road for long periods as I work abroad. Can anyone throw any light on this: After not being run on the road for several months, the car suffers from severe rear end vibrations when cornering - in other words there are no vibrations when the car is driven in a straight line.
The vibrations continue under breaking and acceleration.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Sudesh
12-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! Would love to see some pics of your very low miles 1991!!

On the vibration, have you checked the tyres? if the car is standing for long periods of time and you havent stored it corectly then the tyres may have perished slightly and flat spots may have developed, would be worth getting them checked and wheels balanced again. Does your car have the OEM wheels? Other item worth checking are bushings.

peachey
12-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your welcome and quick reply. Since I posted my query I have read through early forum posts and come across one from 'Low Flyer' on 12 February 2008 in which he asked the same question - the cure apparently is to change the transmission oil, run for 1000 miles and change again - so I will try this and report back to members.

My NSX was one of the first 6 imported into UK (Chassis No 131, Engine No 135) and we were invited by McLaren to pick up the car from their headquarters (At the time Honda provided the engine for the McLaren F1 whose lead driver and current world champion was Senna - he went on to repeat the feat in 1991).

Ron Dennis entertained us to lunch and showed us around the factory together with the other 5 new proud owners - one subsequently crashed and wrote off his nsx on the way home!

My car has actually done under 1,500 miles. Let me have your private e-mail address and I will send a photo.

Peter

NSX 2000
12-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks for your welcome and quick reply. Since I posted my query I have read through early forum posts and come across one from 'Low Flyer' on 12 February 2008 in which he asked the same question - the cure apparently is to change the transmission oil, run for 1000 miles and change again - so I will try this and report back to members.
My car has actually done under 1,500 miles. Let me have your private e-mail address and I will send a photo.

Peter

Hi Peter, if you only do (1500 divided by 18 years) 83 miles a year then it will take you over 12 years to cover the 1000 miles to change the oil :eek:

I would be surprised if it was this easy. Do you have a full service History
ie is it serviced evrey year?

Paul.

Senninha
12-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Hi Peter,

And a big welcome to the forum!

Despite its lack of use I do hope you have been having regular maintenance for your NSX.

I would of thought either tyres or transmission fluid (be sure to use the correct Honda fluid).

Given the age it may be prudent to have the car properly inspected by Honda or by Kaz (see thread on health check http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=6286 )

Warm regards,

Paul

Silver Surfer
12-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Welcome!

I am now the owner of the 2nd earliest registered NSX on the forum....1991 number 169.

SS

NSXGB
12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Welcome!

I am now the owner of the 2nd earliest registered NSX on the forum....1991 number 169.

SS

I think that we've found someone who drives his car less than TheSebringOne. . . Amazing.

Welcome Peter!

Papalazarou
12-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Peter,

great to see you both last week. Looking forward to seeing the car out on the road!!
It's also good to have another NSX owner down in the south-west.
Fantastic car by the way!
Perhaps the vibration is a tyre issue from standing for long periods?

Cheers,

James.

12-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Warmest wishes 'Peachey'

Actually this is something I was trying to look into about early NSXs....

'Peachey' you mention you had one of the first of the 6 imported into the UK does that mean it is an import or a UK car?

My car is a japanese import, registered in 1990 and the number of the chassis is '289'...it was brought in by a Honda dealer.

Any ideas how that works?

Would be great to get a better understanding :)

TheSebringOne
12-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Welcome Peachey, I hope the problem is relatively simple to fix. Wow a 1500 miles NSX! Must be one the lowest mileage car on the planet?

Phew, finally someone who drives his P & J less then me! :D

peachey
13-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Warmest wishes 'Peachey'

Actually this is something I was trying to look into about early NSXs....

'Peachey' you mention you had one of the first of the 6 imported into the UK does that mean it is an import or a UK car?

My car is a japanese import, registered in 1990 and the number of the chassis is '289'...it was brought in by a Honda dealer.

Any ideas how that works?

Would be great to get a better understanding :)

The car is a UK car. Not sure how the chassis/engine numbers work but I assumed Chassis 101 was the first of the production cars. Perhaps Honda can confirm?

peachey
13-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi Peter,

great to see you both last week. Looking forward to seeing the car out on the road!!
It's also good to have another NSX owner down in the south-west.
Fantastic car by the way!
Perhaps the vibration is a tyre issue from standing for long periods?

Cheers,

James.

Thanks James. Am sure it is not a tyre issue but hope that a transmission oil change will cure the problem. Howard's of Taunton can be the judge of that.

Peter

peachey
13-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Welcome Peachey, I hope the problem is relatively simple to fix. Wow a 1500 miles NSX! Must be one the lowest mileage car on the planet?

Phew, finally someone who drives his P & J less then me! :D

It was interesting to hear forum platinum member Papalazarou's comments
when he viewed my NSX. The car has been garaged and under a cotton cover since new.
With her low mileage and lack of exposure the paint (silver) is totally original. James says this is a noticably different shade from silver NSX's of this period that he has seen - the affects of road fumes and the sun? Have members experienced difficulty matching the original paint?

Have appreciated everyones welcome. Thank you.

JQD84983
13-08-2009, 08:36 PM
The car is a UK car. Not sure how the chassis/engine numbers work but I assumed Chassis 101 was the first of the production cars. Perhaps Honda can confirm?

I'll tell you what peachy your car must be a real rarity for a private owner. How you have kept your bum of the seat I will never know! :)

I resorted to running mine on fine days in winter just to scratch the driving itch. I am sure it looks the business as its a great colour.

Suns effects I reckon will be main culprit for the paint difference.

I do know of a guy with an original Sierra RS Cosworth with delivery mileage but they were quite a bit cheaper than the NSX.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

John

gsuds
14-08-2009, 11:31 AM
It was interesting to hear forum platinum member Papalazarou's comments
when he viewed my NSX. The car has been garaged and under a cotton cover since new.
With her low mileage and lack of exposure the paint (silver) is totally original. James says this is a noticably different shade from silver NSX's of this period that he has seen - the affects of road fumes and the sun? Have members experienced difficulty matching the original paint?

Have appreciated everyones welcome. Thank you.

Yes, my silver car required paint to the nosecone, but bodyshop ended up spraying the whole car as the correct paint didn't match exactly - presumably UV / pollutants affecting the original finish.

Cheers

Graham