PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger group buy ?

AR
03-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Just wondering if there is enough of us interested in this possibilty to try and set a group buy and maybe work out a deal with a tuner here to install them.

Torque Developments wants £ 7500.00 for the Comptech SC, but the SC alone can be had for £ 4500 from a few people in America, so £ 3K for instalation and tuning seems a bit excesive, after all the instructions .pdf seems pretty straight forward.

Just checking maybe one of you guys can get us a good deal.

So anyone other than me interested ?

Cheers

AR

swlabhot
04-08-2005, 12:16 PM
U'd be hard pushed to find any interest in here.... :lol:

Kevin
04-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Good luck, but I have to agree that you will have a hard time finding more people interested in installing a SC.

I've been here since the start, and although some people have made small changes to their cars the general consensus is to leave the engine alone, even if only for reliability reasons.

Of course things change, and with the more recent owners/members of NSXCB, and the fact the cars can now be bought for a lot less than they were selling for 6 years ago, there maybe more people willing to modify the cars in this (and other) ways.

Don't forget to add a new fuel pump into the cost of the SC. The Comptech system raises the voltage to the pump to increase pressure. An old pump won't like this for long, and it probably won't be like it was when it was new. With a new high pressure pump, you might be able to not need the voltage raising circuit, which would be good. The pressure is controlled by the Comptech RRFPR.

I'd probably rather do the install myself, than have someone who hasn't done one before do it. I can take my time, and check back with Comptech as I go along.

Kevin
04-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Just read this thread;

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55102

Mmmm, maybe I'm turning to the SC side!

AR
04-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Cheers Kevin. I am 99% sure I'll be going for a comptech if I go SC. Are you feeling the need...

andrew
04-08-2005, 08:26 PM
I have long been interested in having a Comtech SC fitted. My main concern about it is lack of confidence in TD or any other potential fitters. (I know TD have had major problems with at least one installation).

The problem is the lack of references. I have had my NSX for 5 years, attended many events and have never ever met anyone with one in the UK.

The one owner I have met (Dutch) at Spa, races his SC NSX and has trashed one engine owing to problems with air/fuel mixture, and was on his second engine. However he is a Honda dealer so presumably has more access to workshop facilities than we do.

Basically I am waiting for some brave soul to lead the way, before risking my engine. If you decide to proceed further please keep me informed - I could probably be persuaded to take an investigative trip to California for research purposes though.

Andrew

glenlewis
04-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Im sure Abbey Motorsport could fit these, they have a supercharged Civic TR as a showcar....

I am tempted I must admit, I love superchargers :)

Glen.

ctrlaltdelboy
04-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey Andrew!

nice to see you in here :wink:

Gerard has a heck of a lot of info and knowledge in CTSC installation and maintainance - he gave me access to his server one night and I downloaded all his documentation and pics - interesting stuff for sure, if you want it I can host it for you if you are on broadband or else burn it to disk for you.

while you're here, do you want to join us in our mini-meet on Saturday?

pub lunch at The Fox & Goose just off M3 Junction 5 - details here (http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=743)

AR
04-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Abbey says that the only way they will do it is if they coul sell me the SC themselves! I am sure they will want more than £ 4270 for it.

I am still reading as much as I can find on it.

I have another project on the go, but this SC thing is growing on me.

ctrlaltdelboy
04-08-2005, 10:41 PM
I suggest that was an opportunist response you received from Abbey, and that if you in fact did ask them to install & tune parts you already owned that they would be willing to take your money in return for such work.

the reason I believe this to be the case?....

....I contacted them asking if they would care to install my already purchased AEM EMS & UEGO and tune the car through them, and they got back to me keen to do the work.

I can't imagine them looking at it differently simply because the product involved differs - IMO they knew you had yet to purchase the hardware and saw this angle as an opportunity to ensure additional margin out of the job.

if my conclusion is true this does not encourage me to entrust my car to them, as I would be concerned as to where their priorities really lay.

all of this is of course only my opinion, and the facts surrounding Abbey's policies and intentions on the installation & tuning of superchargers to NSXs could be entirely different for all I know.

AR
04-08-2005, 10:52 PM
I spoke to Mark and he was clear that they will "only" be interested if "they" supplied the SC. I will have to dump £££ on a CTSC only to use it as a coffee table item.

I understand they are great tuners, and do outstanding work, but I can't imagine why other than £££ reasons they will only install it if they sell it.

mcibuk
05-08-2005, 08:02 AM
I amagine the reason they want to sell the unit is to ensure the component is absolutely A1 condition so they can underwrite their work. Installing a unit that maybe new but is unknown to them would be a big risk if anything went wrong afterwards! They maybe wishing to make a margin too but i suspect that on such installs thing can go seriously wrong so they need to be 100% sure.

Kevin
07-08-2005, 10:45 AM
I amagine the reason they want to sell the unit is to ensure the component is absolutely A1 condition so they can underwrite their work. Installing a unit that maybe new but is unknown to them would be a big risk if anything went wrong afterwards! They maybe wishing to make a margin too but i suspect that on such installs thing can go seriously wrong so they need to be 100% sure.

I don't see how that could be the reason. What's the difference between buying a new Comptech yourself at a decent price direct from the States, as opposed to Abbey buying it? Abbey are still fitting the exact same parts. They will have the same opportunity to inspect the unit before fitting it.

Unless Abbey are saying they will make their own supercharging system?

NSXGOD
07-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Darren asked me to drop by and see what you guys were up too.

[quote=mcibuk]I amagine the reason they want to sell the unit is to ensure the component is absolutely A1 condition so they can underwrite their work. Installing a unit that maybe new but is unknown to them would be a big risk if anything went wrong afterwards! They maybe wishing to make a margin too but i suspect that on such installs thing can go seriously wrong so they need to be 100% sure.

Actually, if you read the install manual that comes with a new in the box CTSC, you will find that it is the best in the NSX SC arena. SC "kits" bought used tend not to have all the parts or those pesky things like install manuals. ANY technician that can read and is familiar with an NSX and has the NSX Service Manual to refer too can install a CTSC kit. HOWEVER, if you want the most out of this kit you will want to tune the FPR on a dyno to your wonderful UK premium gasoline. Also, Kevin has the right idea, you will want to install a Walbro in-tank fuel pump instead of the "Boost-a-Pump" solution that CT uses - IMNSHO that was chosen for "ease of installation" (remember that Acura dealers were supposed to be able to install these) not because it was the best part for the job.

I don't see how that could be the reason. What's the difference between buying a new Comptech yourself at a decent price direct from the States, as opposed to Abbey buying it?

none except that you will save allotta dough.

Abbey are still fitting the exact same parts. They will have the same opportunity to inspect the unit before fitting it.

exactly.

Unless Abbey are saying they will make their own supercharging system?

you'd need to ask them. Anything with a potential internal sales volume of 2-3 units will cost as much as a used NSX.

Also - you may not have much luck getting a "group buy" price on these from anyone as CT does not have any more complete SC kits left in house, and may not be able to make anymore of the current ones as the Whipple blower unit they use is not made anymore. (or so I was told) That suggests that the only new kits actually available are ones already in stock at various dealers. I have one but it is not currently for sale as we might be modifying it for a customer, I saw a few advertised on eBay, and there is the usual BS about GB's on Prime to check out.
YMMV.

ctrlaltdelboy
15-08-2005, 07:58 PM
thanks for your input Mark

the CTSC install manual can be downloaded in pdf format here - it's 0.8MB (http://www.comptechusa.com/store/media/instructions/ins048.pdf)

Paul_dc2
17-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi i'm a relative newbee but have been skulking in these forums for a while as youll understand in another post I have yet to write :wink:

Anyhow I have heard about a supercharged civic that was built, not sure where ahem cough but it was detting like hell,not set up right and didnt like standard boost 7psi that was being chucked at it. This was using the Jackson kit so slightly different than Comptech.

DJWRAY
21-08-2005, 09:07 AM
:shock: HI ALL,BET U THOUGHT I WAS A GONER.NOPE.STILL HERE,STILL GOT CAR.BEEN BUSY,NEW ADDITION TO FAMILY(SON,FUTURE MX CHAMP).ANYHOW,MUCH SC INFORMATION ON NSXHELP.COM/FAQ/SUPERCHARGER.HTM.
THE INFO IS A FEW YEARS OLDBUT WORTH A READ.
THINKING OF SELLING N5,OR

NSXGOD
21-08-2005, 03:45 PM
:shock: HI ALL,BET U THOUGHT I WAS A GONER.NOPE.STILL HERE,STILL GOT CAR.BEEN BUSY,NEW ADDITION TO FAMILY(SON,FUTURE MX CHAMP).ANYHOW,MUCH SC INFORMATION ON NSXHELP.COM/FAQ/SUPERCHARGER.HTM.
THE INFO IS A FEW YEARS OLDBUT WORTH A READ.
THINKING OF SELLING N5,OR

not any more - that site's been dead for a long time. Congrats on yor new lifetime "project" :wink: