PDA

View Full Version : PAS - is this another "TADTS"?

havoc
20-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Drove a PAS-equipped car today, and all I can say is "it's odd" - modern-car light at parking speeds and small inputs, then as soon as you get to a roundabout you nearly don't go around it because it weights up all of a sudden, as if the PAS has gone for a fag-break and left you to sort everything out yourself!!!

So:-
- is that typical?
- how much 'feel' / detail do you get from it at-speed (didn't get the chance to find out...typical indy-dealer 10-minute special test-drive)?
- do you get used to it?

Sudesh
20-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Drove a PAS-equipped car today, and all I can say is "it's odd" - modern-car light at parking speeds and small inputs, then as soon as you get to a roundabout you nearly don't go around it because it weights up all of a sudden, as if the PAS has gone for a fag-break and left you to sort everything out yourself!!!

- is that typical?
- how much 'feel' / detail do you get from it at-speed (didn't get the chance to find out...typical indy-dealer 10-minute special test-drive)?
- do you get used to it?

I drove both PAS and NON pas, and in my opinion the NON pas is a better road feeling car. But its all down to choice.

What you described sounds quite normal for the PAS cars. From memory the PAS only works at low speed to help with parking etc so at high speed you get a similar feeling as the non pas cars.

Other things to remember is, cars with PAS are heavier and if something goes wrong its alot more expensive to repair. But as mentioned it really all down to personal choice.

AR
20-07-2009, 08:54 PM

- is that typical?
- do you get used to it?

I had it in my MY99 and hated it. Some love it, others perhaps have not spend long enough with a non PAS car to get used to them.

Sudesh
20-07-2009, 08:55 PM
This is a good read too on the PAS/EPS

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/eps.htm

WhyOne?
21-07-2009, 08:22 AM
I have only ever driven NSX's equipped with PAS, and I like the system (but then I wouldn't know otherwise!!!)

As you rightly say, the steering is light at parking speeds but the PAS very quickly buggers off and leaves you too it - I remember exactly the surprise you had the 1st time I went around a tight, slow corner!

I know purists like Ary disagree, but I think it is a good system, well suited to the car.

Again it comes down to personal preference & choice.

markc
21-07-2009, 10:51 AM
As you rightly say, the steering is light at parking speeds but the PAS very quickly buggers off and leaves you too it - I remember exactly the surprise you had the 1st time I went around a tight, slow corner!

I know purists like Ary disagree, but I think it is a good system, well suited to the car.

Again it comes down to personal preference & choice.

It doesn't completely bugger off at speed. You'll be greatfull of the assistance (pun intended) at high cornering loads on a circuit for example or indeed a long mountain pass.

Ask Kevin about the effort he was having to put in at Silverstone last week. His sticky tyres exaggerate the issue but it does highlight the positive side of the EPS.

Cheers

Mark