PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Trims

stewart
29-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Perhaps I am alone in loathing the oval louvred exhaust trims on my 97 auto. I do prefer the trims on the latest 3.2's but was aghast at the OEM price. Does anyone know of a stainless aftermarket part that is similar to the current kit without the wealth-tax element.

NSXGB
31-07-2005, 11:59 PM
....just out of interest, how much were you quoted for the later style OEM tips?

BTW, I agree that the older style tips are a bit naff.

stewart
01-08-2005, 11:07 AM
From memory, about £100 each, but I think my mind went blank at that point!

wgmr
01-08-2005, 12:50 PM
i've got chrome (or steel, not sure) ones (of some sort), can these be pollished in some way, if so, with what?

trackdemon
01-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Agreed, the standard oval trims are awful - may be a good excuse to put a whole new rear section on? :D :shock:

Flinty
01-08-2005, 01:15 PM
I totally agree, the Oval trims are well outdated. The rather unimpressive sound from the standard box at tickover is also a bit tame...

Agree with trackdemon re. back box, and have given up searching for decent replacement trims in favour of a new back box. There are other threads on this site about the merits of various systems.

Rather than import a potentially untried system from Dali or elsewhere in the US, and whilst i'm on a limited budget - i'm talking to Zorstec and Janspeed about custom systems about £750. I think the extra cash is worth it - the exhaust (noise and look) is a big part of a proper sports car IMO.

Flinty

AR
01-08-2005, 03:35 PM
I can't wait for my Tubi Style exhaust to arrive from Italy ! I really do not dislike the oval pipes, but I hate the lack of sound. After as Flinty stated above a sports car should sound sporty, not be tamed.

Now if only those Italians would hurry up and shipped my exhaust before they break for August holidays, but hey I guess if I waited 6 months for Italian sofas 3 months is nothing!

DamianW
01-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Can't say I'm that bothered about the sound. At first I thought I would be, but I've grown to appreciate the fact that it can be quiet when I want it to be, and noisy when I'm playing.

But the oval tailpipes... awful. Didn't know you could just change them! I might have to look into that.

stewart
01-08-2005, 04:07 PM
"quiet" sounds fine to me. Maybe it's a male thing all this "shiny tip extension" Still wouldn't mnd finding something similar to current OEM kit in stainless!

AR
02-08-2005, 12:23 AM
I am sure Longlife or some other shop can add tips to your system. I guess that if the tips were £50.00 each and £20.00 for the install, the whole thing wil come to £ 120.00 quid or so, just my guess.
You can also try the ones from Motorworld if you feel like doing it on a budget.
There are also lots on ebay if you fancy a gamble.

trackdemon
02-08-2005, 08:36 AM
I totally agree, the Oval trims are well outdated. The rather unimpressive sound from the standard box at tickover is also a bit tame...

Agree with trackdemon re. back box, and have given up searching for decent replacement trims in favour of a new back box. There are other threads on this site about the merits of various systems.

Rather than import a potentially untried system from Dali or elsewhere in the US, and whilst i'm on a limited budget - i'm talking to Zorstec and Janspeed about custom systems about £750. I think the extra cash is worth it - the exhaust (noise and look) is a big part of a proper sports car IMO.

Flinty

Flinty, you could import a Paddock Performance system similar to the one I'm running for <£800 I think..... then a known quantity too, rather than a custom unit.