PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed 'box slop

neilhyde
27-07-2005, 04:48 PM
My '96 car is just getting to 70K miles and its only fault is excessive play in transmission take-up, mainly noticed when on and off the clutch in traffic.

Putting the car in gear and taking the hand brake off, gently rocking the car back and forth reveals a good deal of play with a very audible clunk at either end.

Having located a 43K mile 'box for a £1000, I had planned to have Two Mills fit a new clutch and swap the 'box for me at the same time. Disappointingly Two Mills are asking £1802 for the clutch fitted and declined to fit the 2nd hand 'box even if I went into writing to say it was nothing to do with them if it had any faults.

Questions are:-

Anyone else had similar problems with excessive slop in the gearbox?

Any recommendations for other dealer/garages to try and likely price?

Anyone changed a clutch themselves lately, any problems with alignment tools for the twin plate clutch?

Any help much appreciated - Thanks Neil

Kevin
27-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Have you had the car long, and has this been getting worse over the years?

I have not heard of anyone else saying this is an issue. All NSXs make an alarming amount of noise in the gearbox compared to other Hondas.

So it may be nothing then again it may be something.

Some dealers will fit sourced elsewhere parts. Mine, Norton Way, does. Though I do use them regularly with the three Hondas we have.

Greybloke
10-08-2005, 03:57 PM
three Hondas we have.

what youv'e got two lawnmowers as well as the NSX :lol:

Kevin
10-08-2005, 05:13 PM
If you want to count the lawnmower, then that makes four!