PDA

View Full Version : Slow steering response

JP825
02-06-2009, 07:04 PM
I had my car for few months now. The NSX has been great in all areas but there is only one thing that I cant get used to.

Does anybody find the steering on the NSX slow and not very responsive. It just lacks accuracy and feel about it, and it requires a lot more turn than usual to go round a corner. :angry:

Its really hard to explain but I hope you guys know what I mean.

Is there anything I can modify to improve the steering response, like steering rack or something?

markc
02-06-2009, 07:20 PM
The steering rack has a relatively slow ratio in all NSX's. There's a marginal differance, in ratio, between early non assisted cars and later assisted (EPS) ones like yours.

It was/is often criticized by the motoring press but many come round (no pun intended) to it in the longer turn (no pun intended).

The slow ratio helps to give the car a fairly relaxed nature and is why it's a bit of a slow burner in the chassis department. Allied to the, then unique front suspension design which all but eliminates bump steer, you end up with a very calm helm.

Depending on what tyres you have and pressures you're running this can change the feel a bit. Try experimenting with pressures.

It kind of depends what your used to. What cars are you used to? If you've just jumped out of a TVR you'd probably think the NSX steering was broken, if you go the other way you might crash the TVR at the first corner as it's steering is sooo fast and twitchy.

A couple of people have investigated building a faster ratio steering rack but cost has proved prohibitive.

Cheers

Mark

NoelWatson
02-06-2009, 07:46 PM
I had my car for few months now. The NSX has been great in all areas but there is only one thing that I cant get used to.

Does anybody find the steering on the NSX slow and not very responsive. It just lacks accuracy and feel about it, and it requires a lot more turn than usual to go round a corner. :angry:

Its really hard to explain but I hope you guys know what I mean.

Is there anything I can modify to improve the steering response, like steering rack or something?

What tyres have you got?

JP825
02-06-2009, 07:57 PM
I have standard Dunlop tyres on at the moment. Will putting in a little more pressure helps?

I had a Subaru Sti before but I know that had a much quicker steering than a normal car. Thats why I initially thought it was just me being used to the 4wd when I 1st bought it but I soon realise is not as it seems.

NSX 2000
02-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi JP825

I had a Subaru RB320 for 2 years and personnaly I've never noticed any major differance in the steering between the two cars. However I did have Dunlops and hated them so changed them after a couple of months, so it could be the tyres.
HTH
Paul.

markc
02-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I have standard Dunlop tyres on at the moment. Will putting in a little more pressure helps?

I had a Subaru Sti before but I know that had a much quicker steering than a normal car. Thats why I initially thought it was just me being used to the 4wd when I 1st bought it but I soon realise is not as it seems.

Paul's right, Subaru's don't have especially quick steering and 4wd doesn't help, if anything it dulls/corrupts steering.

Try increasing the front pressures to mid 30psi and see if it helps. Next have a 4 wheel alignment carried out in case the toe/camber/castor/thrust angle is wrong, next try some new tyres. Ultimately it might be correct ie as per spec but you don't get on with it.

Have you driven other NSX's to compare it?

You could also fit a smaller diameter steering wheel. The 350mm (OE is 367mm) Momo Tuner as fitted to the NSX-R is a good choice. I have one of these fitted and although it, 17mm, doesn't sound like much it does make a small but noticeable difference to the steering feel :)

Cheers

Mark

AR
02-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I love the Non PAS steering as compare to the EPS, but to each his own.

JP825
03-06-2009, 01:36 AM
hmm.. I always thought my Spec C had a much quicker steering than my other cars (could be becasue of the smaller steering wheel:))

I will try put a little bit more on the front tyres and may be put back in the spare tyre in the front so it hasn't upset any of the balance:D

I tried the older non-power steering one, that definitely had more feel at fast speed.

NoelWatson
03-06-2009, 05:50 AM
However I did have Dunlops and hated them so changed them after a

I found the Dunlops better for turn in than the GSDs - I may be tempted to try and find some 50As.

markc
03-06-2009, 09:47 AM
hmm.. I always thought my Spec C had a much quicker steering than my other cars (could be becasue of the smaller steering wheel:))

Ahh, you had a Spec C, that would explain it. The Spec C Impreza had a quicker steering rack (13:1), different front subframe, solid bushes and lots of negative camber which made the steering MUCH faster than normal Impreza's. You are coming from a very "pointy" machine indeed.

I don't think the NSX is ever going to feel as "pointy" with it's variable, 18.2:1-20.8:1, EPS rack. The manual rack cars are 18.6:1 and therefore slower geared initially (around the straight ahead) but quicker as you wind on more lock.

You could try dialling more negative camber at the front and add toe(in)front and rear to make the NSX more darty but you may find it eats tyres (inside edges) too much.

Cheers

Mark

JP825
03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys,

Just found this from EVO shootout test:

"The more I pressed on, the more I was impressed. In fact it's only let down by the slight vagueness of the steering. I'd love to own an NSX, but would I choose one over a 911? If I had my sensible 'badge means nothing' head on, and just focussed on how much I enjoyed driving it, I probably would.' Blimey.

It's odd, but the first time any of us drives the NSX we all hate the steering, but once into the groove it annoys less and less. Okay, so it is too slow and heavy in outright terms, but you soon accept that the steering accurately dictates the optimum pace at which the NSX can be driven. Push too hard on the way into a corner, provoke a bit of understeer, and you need to reach for an uncomfortable extra quarter-turn of lock to get the nose turned in. Likewise if you're brutal on the exit and need to contain oversteer, the weight and slowness of the steering discourages you from beasting it again. Stay neat and work all four tyres to their optimum, and the NSX flows with addictive ease and precision. A dozen years down the line, it's still a class act."

nsx60
05-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Can i just say , it never ceases to amaze me the amount of knowledge on this site about NSX`s and all things car !!!! My car knowledge amounts to fuel at one end and send it to the garage when it breaks ! Which is excactly why i bought a honda as i`ve owned accords previously which are bomb proof . Had NSX 60 for 5 years now and it still puts a smile on my face every time i drive it , unless of course i have to squeeze it into a tight parking space which can get a bit tiring.
If however any one should have a detailed enquiry regards manufacturing and installing fitted furniture then give me a call as that is something i know a little about !!!
Was down in London last week with a pal to collect a 6 year old cayenne s with less than 50k on the clock £18,500.00 which i thought was great value for money as its a hell of a lump and still returns 24mpg at the legal maximum on the M1. A certain pucker celebrity chef was the first owner and i don`t think there is an extra that was`nt fitted to it when new.

Drive quick

steve