PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack?

NSXGB
25-07-2005, 05:30 AM
I have not put the car up on the ramp yet but I'm speculating that my steering rack or rubber mounts are on their way out. I'm getting quite a bit of creaking & groaning when I go over speed bumps and occaisionally when I shake the steering. The car has just passed it's MOT with flying colours but they did not notice anything wrong with the rack. Over the last few outings it has got progressively worse so time for action.

Does anyone have any useful advice on replacing the rack, sourcing a new part or reconditioning the old one? Obviously main dealer would be the most expensive but maybe not my only choice.

The car is a '93, so luckily for me a pre power steering model.

Any info greatfully received.

Simon.

NSXGB
25-07-2005, 11:38 AM
...incidentally driving it home from work this am in torrential rain the noise had disappeared. Water lubricating a worn bush/mount??

DamianW
25-07-2005, 12:17 PM
On a slight tangent - but the one performance mod I'm surprised no one ever made for the NSX was a quicker rack. The car is absolutely begging for a good half turn taking off the lock.

NSXGB
25-07-2005, 04:36 PM
I agree with that.

Had the old girl on the ramp today and we found nothing obviously out of place??
Any ideas??

Simon.

01-08-2005, 11:10 AM
On that subject, I need a NSX RHD steering rack. '91-'94 (but I think any year is ok as long as it's a manual rack). Complete less tie rods and rod ends. Doesn’t matter if it’s a little damaged or worn. Does anyone have one? I can buy it from you or borrow it and return it in a month.
Peter

01-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Simon,
Can you hang on with replacing your rack for about 2 months?
Peter

NSXGB
01-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Still trying to find out what's wrong with the car, my or may not be connected to the steering rack....might be a trip to see Alan Davies.

If I can help you out with the rack I will mate.

08-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Hello Simon,
How is it going with your rack? I found this on the web.
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/noise.htm
“Front End Noise” He only had 66,000 miles on his car.
A new rack is about £700, if you can wait for a few of months I will have a better solution for you. Please tell me before you buy a new rack.
Some thoughts about checking your rack:
I would think that the rack would be easily removed although having said that, the universal joint above the rack seems to be in a difficult spot. But the other bolts are dead easy to remove.
Actually, if you get the rack out, it might make it more difficult to find any play. At least when it’s in the car, you can really heave on it to find if there is any play.
Also, I wouldn’t think a loose rack would “creak or groan” as you say. I would expect more of a “tap tap”.
You need to pull back the boots (very easy to do) so you can see the steering rack shaft. Grab hold of it and try to move it up and down or back and forth. Does it move? It should not.
While the boots are moved out of the way, you can also see if there is play when someone else moves the steering wheel a little while you try to hold the rack shaft (careful). There should be no play.
Anyway, in the next 2 weeks I will take one apart and in a month I will rebuild one (LHD) completely so will know more about where to get bushings etc.
You said “incidentally driving it home from work this am in torrential rain the noise had disappeared. Water lubricating a worn bush/mount??”
I don’t know about that, but if one of your boots is torn, water can get on there and ruin a bush (internal bushing). Then water might also lubricate it. Is there a tear in a boot?
Also, a groaning might come from the upper or lower joint on the upright.. If the little rubber boot is torn, maybe (only maybe) the ball could be damaged and produce a groan.
Or it may be the damper (shock absorber).
Peter

NSXGB
09-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Peter,
Thanks for your reply.
My suspicions have gone from the steering rack now. I'm 95% sure I have a creaky n/s/f shock. It now makes a terrible noise (in the dry weather).

Simon.

P.S. I'll now be looking for a pair of front shocks, any recommendations on where to source them from?