PDA

View Full Version : auto or manual? high mileage?

nakamichi
18-05-2009, 02:04 PM
hi
I am considering buying an NSX but don't know that much about them other than the basic stuff I have read on the web.
How does the driving experience differ between the auto and manuals?
There seems to be more autos than manuals for sale and I would prefer a manual but if there isn't that much difference I would have an auto.
Also,is high mileage (over 100k) a problem if the car has a full service history?
cheers:)

simonprelude
18-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Auto is quoted as having a 0-60 time of around 8 seconds.

gsuds
18-05-2009, 04:56 PM
hi

Also,is high mileage (over 100k) a problem if the car has a full service history?
cheers:)

The Classic Car Club have a '95 targa with over 180k miles on it, never any engine problems despite a lot of abuse from members! Also see NSX Prime site for Stateside cars with epic mileages. Superb initial build quality plus Honda engine-building = fantastic long-term proposition. Try that in a Ferrari...

Cheers

Graham

Greybloke
18-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Cant comment about auto v manual, as I've not driven the auto.

What I can tell you is the bullit proof reliability of the car if properly looked after. My own one is a 91 3.0 with approaching 150,000 miles. No real issues so far, and still enough performance for me:) Don't let high mileage put you off, just ensure its received the appropriate TLC over its life.

Good luck

sassthathoopie
19-05-2009, 07:52 PM
The auto has a lower powered engine and the early cars had power steering whilst the manual cars didn't.

PAS introduced on manual cars 94 I think? May have been a different system?

The rifle bolt action of the gear change is so satisfying, I'm not sure I would want an auto after driving a manual. There is a considerable price difference between the two.

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10294563&highlight=

Read post #180 for Andrew Frankel's opinion in Autocar. It isn't available on the Autocar site anymore, although I have a digital version.

My car is 18 years old with 71k and still feels like it will go on forever as long as it was looked after

Sublime
20-05-2009, 07:30 AM
http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10294563&highlight=

Read post #180 for Andrew Frankel's opinion in Autocar. It isn't available on the Autocar site anymore, although I have a digital version.

I like the post, is the Autocar digital version you have any larger than this post?

Have fun,
Steven

sassthathoopie
20-05-2009, 01:32 PM
The text is the same, but off course you also get some pretty pictures and the masthead. His verdict on the cancellation of the new NSX can also be found on the acurazine page, as well as his blog on the autocar site.

AR
04-03-2010, 10:26 AM
I have driven many different nsx and configurations. I test drove an Auto for a member here, and I can tell you the obvious, not as quick as manual, but still fairly spirited and good looking.

If I was living somewhere with a lot of city traffic and was using the NSX as a daily, the auto would fit the bill.

Still "looks" as good as the manual.

Just my .2p

nakamichi
04-03-2010, 11:09 AM
think I am going for a manual.I have had autos in the past and don't really like them.Good around town but not as much fun when driving in a sporty fashion.

AR
04-03-2010, 12:09 PM
think I am going for a manual.I have had autos in the past and don't really like them.Good around town but not as much fun when driving in a sporty fashion.

Then you have answered your own question, happy hunting.

nakamichi
20-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I am pleased to say that I have agreed to buy Nathans NSX.Great bloke and a great car.Can't wait to get it and hopefully meet some of you at future meets.
Cheers
Tony

TheSebringOne
21-03-2010, 01:47 AM
Welcome and congratulations Tony on your fantastic purchase, hopefully see you at Japfest and other meets :)

NSXGB
21-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Welcome Tony, looks like you got a bargain there.

AR
21-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Congratulations that is a great deal on a nice car.

JQD84983
22-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Nice one mate and welcome to the fold. You won't be disappointed.:)

SILVER BULLET
22-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Welcome to a fantastic club Tony,

You get more smiles per mile with an NSX:).

On a more serious note we still have 2 places to fill on our NSX only track session at this years Japfest on 15th May, if interessted get your name down quickly,alternatively just come and meet everyone,

Cheers,

Ian

Lankstarr
22-03-2010, 10:36 PM
I am pleased to say that I have agreed to buy Nathans NSX.Great bloke and a great car.Can't wait to get it and hopefully meet some of you at future meets.
Cheers
Tony

You got yourself a real bargain there- welcome to the club!

nakamichi
22-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Welcome to a fantastic club Tony,

You get more smiles per mile with an NSX:).

On a more serious note we still have 2 places to fill on our NSX only track session at this years Japfest on 15th May, if interessted get your name down quickly,alternatively just come and meet everyone,

Cheers,

Ian
Not sure yet as I am shortly moving up to Scotland,but if I can I would love to come.Will let you know nearer the time.

sutats
27-03-2010, 09:34 AM
In one of the Best Motoring video magazines on the NSX it was not uncommon to swap the transmission to manual. I can't begin to imagine how much an exercise like that would cost here. Anybody have any experience or knowledge about such?

Sudesh
27-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Thing is,the AUTO cars have less hp also.

In one of the Best Motoring video magazines on the NSX it was not uncommon to swap the transmission to manual. I can't begin to imagine how much an exercise like that would cost here. Anybody have any experience or knowledge about such?

m666 edd
27-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Why do they have less hp? What's different about them anyway?

jaytip
27-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Why do they have less hp? What's different about them anyway?
From what i have read it's to protect the 'box.That is as much power as it can safely handle.

sutats
27-03-2010, 11:49 PM
...converting automatics may not be as crazy as it sounds.

Sudesh
28-03-2010, 11:58 AM
You would have to find all the bits first; and you would want to find them used otherwise its big ££££

As mentioned, down on power right away, depending on where you read, autos are around 252/256hp from start of production to the end.
Manuals are 274/276hp -3.0 and 280hp for 3.2

So a good bit of tuning needed to get an auto even close to 3.0 manuals.
All autos will have EPS/PAS too.

...converting automatics may not be as crazy as it sounds.

sutats
28-03-2010, 01:45 PM
You would have to find all the bits first; and you would want to find them used otherwise its big ££££

As mentioned, down on power right away, depending on where you read, autos are around 252/256hp from start of production to the end.
Manuals are 274/276hp -3.0 and 280hp for 3.2

So a good bit of tuning needed to get an auto even close to 3.0 manuals.
All autos will have EPS/PAS too.

Perhaps it was an exceptional mention in the Best Motoring International magazine I saw about NSX transmission swaps. They have so much stock there why they heck would they want to do that? The video also mentioned that NSX engines start to awaken at 70K miles?

Got marketing spiel?

swiftnsx
29-04-2012, 11:54 AM
i have driven manuals and autos and prefer autos,but i maybe biast as i have a low mileage auto for sal. lol

Chris B N
29-04-2012, 06:13 PM
With the lower final drive ratio on the F Matic you will be pleasantly surprised how quick it is
something around 4:1 for the Auto box and around 4.4:1 for the F Matic , I'm sure Kaz will be able to confirm the actual ratios
so with the F Matic lower ratio and the wider torque band the car has a lot going for it.
The reduction of 15 BHP is due to bigger inlet valves and different cam profile to provide the wider torque band to compliment the 4 speed auto box.

goldtop
30-10-2012, 03:43 PM
(Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one)

Would love to hear about how the NSX's auto box works with the engine's VTEC crossover point. Does the autobox generally hold the lower gear until the redline? Or only with WOT?

And are the 4 auto gears chosen so that the change up from 1 to 2 and then 2 to 3 keeps the engine in the VTEC zone?

My NSX (when found) will be for road use only, and according to the reviews, VTEC band in 3rd and 4th in the manual are unavailable at road-legal speeds.

If the auto had well chosen 1st, 2nd & 3rd and a very long 4th, it might be more interesting? Although 0-60mph in 8s (really?) is pretty poor by any standard. :(

scottg
30-10-2012, 03:59 PM
I have owned a manual 3.2 NA2 and now own an auto NA1, I have to say the 0 - 60 dosnt feel that different.
I bought my car in Ireland and drove it back from Holyhead to Poole late one evening down all the A roads, it was awesome. As a daily driver the auto box makes allot of sense so its worth trying.
If you find yourself in Bournemouth or Poole anytime pm me and you are welcome to come and take my car for a spin to see what you think.

britlude
30-10-2012, 08:31 PM
what you have to remember with the NSX engine and Vtec is that the changeover is seamless. Civic type R, ITR and the like have a huge hole in the power curve so you feel the Vtec 'kick' as it switches. on the NSX it's just a clean power curve from idle to redline, so manual or auto, it makes no difference as you can't actually tell when Vtec is kicking in...

4800rpm?, 5300rpm? 6000rpm? you can't feel it change cams anyway!

and don't get me started on the difference in power outputs between manual and auto...

jpspringall
30-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Hi GoldTop,

I cant comment on the whole Manual Vs Auto as i only have an auto licence, but i've got an F-Matic, which in opinion gives you the best of both....

Sadly my NSX has gone tobed for the winter, i'm a bit too busy with work to drive it at the mo, and if i'm honest was putting a few too many miles on it.

But if you are still looking in the new year give me shout, as i'm in Cambridge or there abouts.

James

pralognan
30-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Autos are incredible value compared to the "more desirable manuals".Plenty of performance speaking as one who usually has 6 points at any given time.The steering,handling,quality and superb engineering are all there. I paid £16250 for a 50,000 mile 3 owner original condition garage queen in june this year. Try to get a manual equivalent for less than £24,000, let me know when you do!

nobby
31-10-2012, 10:02 AM
If i really wanted an NSX at this moment in time due to values a rarity of the manual transmission, i would have no issues persuing an auto based on all the feedback on this forum. As the above post says you get all the trademarks of the NSX in a 'cheaper' package which makes them all the more brilliant.

goldtop
31-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks all. So I shall keep an open mind. :)

As a general rule, I don't dislike autos (have had many as daily drivers), except for their inability to choose the right gear when driving enthusiastically. Especially when they downshift far too late and unsettle the car in corners. I had a 'tiptronic' Accord for a while, which helped a little.

Thanks for the info, James - Maybe I should find out more about the F-Matic (presume it's a different control box for the same auto gearbox?) But I definitely want to be in an NSX before 2013!

jpspringall
31-10-2012, 11:09 AM
F-Matic, is basically poor man's Tip Tronic, you a gear selector on the steering wheel, to allow you to select the gear.

Getting one before 2013....Good Luck!!

James

Sudesh
31-10-2012, 11:15 AM
I agree with Andrew, if I didn't have a manual car and was starting out right now to find an NSX, I would also consider an auto/f-matic.

2 things I don't like though, can't stand the auto gearknob and stalk, way too big, and the F -Matic stalk is a bit of a last min thought to me, I would be looking at adapting a paddle shift setup if possible.

One of the nicest auto gear stalks is on the Supra, very low level and nice feel.

Thanks all. So I shall keep an open mind. :)

As a general rule, I don't dislike autos (have had many as daily drivers), except for their inability to choose the right gear when driving enthusiastically. Especially when they downshift far too late and unsettle the car in corners. I had a 'tiptronic' Accord for a while, which helped a little.

Thanks for the info, James - Maybe I should find out more about the F-Matic (presume it's a different control box for the same auto gearbox?) But I definitely want to be in an NSX before 2013!

Chris B N
31-10-2012, 11:18 AM
An F Matic is not a poor mans tiptronic it is a 1995 technology sequential electic change which works very well allowing the driver to chose the gear except if gear selection is detrimental to the car eg. cannot select first gear above 5mph. Gear change is not quite as quick as a more mordern for example not as quick as the XF
I find it excellent may only have 4 speed box but has wider torque band which is very useful.
My advice would be don't dicount the F Matic but try one, you may be pleasently supprised

scottg
31-10-2012, 12:02 PM
I agree with Andrew, if I didn't have a manual car and was starting out right now to find an NSX, I would also consider an auto/f-matic.

2 things I don't like though, can't stand the auto gearknob and stalk, way too big, and the F -Matic stalk is a bit of a last min thought to me, I would be looking at adapting a paddle shift setup if possible.

One of the nicest auto gear stalks is on the Supra, very low level and nice feel.

I agree regarding the gear knob Sudesh. I have been looking into other options and there are some people on prime that have shortened the rod and changed to a gear knob similar to an NA2 but adapted so you push it down rather then press the button to select gears. It would be great if someone made a kit to achieve this rather than having to fabricate it yourself if not technical or having access to the right machinery

goldtop
31-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Getting one before 2013....Good Luck!!

Actually, I suspect that bit's 100% right (and I also have to find a garage for storage).

I can find about 8 NSXs advertised for sale in GB at the moment, but they are very widely scattered, very different range of colours and specs, so few are directly comparable. Another option (if choosing an auto) is to import from the USA. NSXs appear to be cheaper and more varied in spec there. Although that rules out viewing/driving and adds many other risks.

My problem is that the money's in the bank (earning almost nothing) ... and the fact I have slightly less patience than a 2yr old in a sweet shop. I can resist anything except temptation. :)

Sudesh
31-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Actually, I suspect that bit's 100% right (and I also have to find a garage for storage).

I can find about 8 NSXs advertised for sale in GB at the moment, but they are very widely scattered, very different range of colours and specs, so few are directly comparable. Another option (if choosing an auto) is to import from the USA. NSXs appear to be cheaper and more varied in spec there. Although that rules out viewing/driving and adds many other risks.

My problem is that the money's in the bank (earning almost nothing) ... and the fact I have slightly less patience than a 2yr old in a sweet shop. I can resist anything except temptation. :)

It would also be LHD from the US, if you could live with that, then maybe worth looking at, but keep in mind you need to add VAT and customs duty to the price too.

scottg
31-10-2012, 12:24 PM
That sounds like an expensive and risky way to buy Goldtop. I had a LHD Cobra and that was fine as a weekend toy as I never bothered with the roof but when I sold it I ended up shiping it to Italy as the LHD put off 90% of UK buyers.

goldtop
31-10-2012, 12:29 PM
It would also be LHD from the US, if you could live with that, then maybe worth looking at, but keep in mind you need to add VAT and customs duty to the price too.

Yup, if buying an auto, I'd be OK with LHD (I wouldn't import a LHD manual). And while it would be harder to sell in the UK later, it should be simple to sell a LHD car into Europe.

I imported an R33 GT-R back in 1999, so I'm prepared for the extra costs (I'd probably allow 30% on top of the purchase price). Not sure how much SVA regs have changed to complicate the actual process though.

Maybe I should just keep it simple and keep pestering one of you guys to sell? ;)

jpspringall
31-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Hi Chris,

Think i might have worded that a bit wrong, as i completely agree with you, in many ways the gear change is better in my NSX than in my old hyundai coupe which was 2003. I merely meant that it's not quite as good as on some of today's cars

An F Matic is not a poor mans tiptronic it is a 1995 technology sequential electic change which works very well allowing the driver to chose the gear except if gear selection is detrimental to the car eg. cannot select first gear above 5mph. Gear change is not quite as quick as a more mordern for example not as quick as the XF
I find it excellent may only have 4 speed box but has wider torque band which is very useful.
My advice would be don't dicount the F Matic but try one, you may be pleasently supprised

jpspringall
31-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Don't I know it.....

nobby
31-10-2012, 02:33 PM
hi goldtop

not sure of your budget but have you considered the Red 02 NSX on ebay? ... its is CAT D registered not sure if this concerns you?

previously owned by a guy over here who bought it after CAT D; its ex honda mgmt and repaired by HUK. Was a very clean car and very little driving but had recent servicing etc done to it. the previous owner really looked after it

I nearly bought the car prior to my current NSX as its MOST impressive but I just could not stretch the finances at the time

not sure of link but its up there if u do an NSX search on ebay

if you want any info on it pm me

Sudesh
31-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Yup, if buying an auto, I'd be OK with LHD (I wouldn't import a LHD manual). And while it would be harder to sell in the UK later, it should be simple to sell a LHD car into Europe.

I imported an R33 GT-R back in 1999, so I'm prepared for the extra costs (I'd probably allow 30% on top of the purchase price). Not sure how much SVA regs have changed to complicate the actual process though.

Maybe I should just keep it simple and keep pestering one of you guys to sell? ;)

If the car is 10+ years old you dont to worry about IVA, just MOT.

goldtop
31-10-2012, 04:45 PM
hi goldtop

not sure of your budget but have you considered the Red 02 NSX on ebay? ... its is CAT D registered not sure if this concerns you?

Good question. I have had a couple of Cat C/D cars in the past, but these were typically £1500 or so, where the fall in value isn't ever going to be an issue. For an NSX, though, I can't help feeling that it's always going to be an unwanted story attached to the car.

It would be great if the original damage, engineer's report and repair work were professionally recorded/photographed/documented, but on the whole, it seems that it rarely is. So I'm left suspicious - or perhaps better to say apprehensive - about what's lurking under the shiney new paint. Especially for an aluminium car. The red NA2 (no popups!) makes me wonder how bad the damage was for it to have been declared Cat D instead of simply being repaired?

So I'd never say "never" but for now I say "not yet". :)

Sudesh - thanks for the info.

nobby
31-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Hi mate

the car is genuinely repaired by HUK. The previous owner has information relating to the actual accident etc.
structurally the car is fine and it was frontal impact

trust me when I say this car is in very good nick as stated I was wanting to buy it

Up to you mate, just thought I would mention it to you

vtecdirect
31-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Easy to get categorised with parts prices. insurance companies have to use official repairers and genuine parts. For a frontal impact even a light one, a bumper, headlights, bonnet and wings is a 10k repair

soddy
11-11-2012, 12:55 AM
f-matic sounds a plus point, and they look like an economical way to get into nsx's if your budget is limited.
if that red 02 has been professionally repaired it wouldn't bother me, sounds a nice car and possibly a minimal impact,
just parts are expensive hence as said above gets categorised due to the price. but then its a super car so you'd
expect them to be that price?

goldtop
11-11-2012, 07:14 PM
if that red 02 has been professionally repaired it wouldn't bother me, sounds a nice car and possibly a minimal impact,
just parts are expensive hence as said above gets categorised due to the price. but then its a super car so you'd
expect them to be that price?

Although... as the silver car thread shows, even a Honda repair - presumably to standards and QC way beyond what a conventional car would get - is simply not enough to stop some buyers avoid the car.

matpp
23-11-2012, 04:00 PM
There's a few LHD's in France currently available......see this link: http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/offres/midi_pyrenees/occasions/?o=1&q=nsx (http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/offres/midi_pyrenees/occasions/?o=1&q=nsx)

Cheers,

scottg
23-11-2012, 04:11 PM
There's a few LHD's in France currently available......see this link: http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/offres/midi_pyrenees/occasions/?o=1&q=nsx (http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/offres/midi_pyrenees/occasions/?o=1&q=nsx)

Cheers,

Good choice if you can live with LHD. Almost all around 100,000km interestingly

matpp
23-11-2012, 04:58 PM
The '93 black one on page 2 looks interesting....only 83K kms = 53K miles.....all original apart from painted wheels. Not too far from the UK either.

goldtop
24-11-2012, 12:20 PM
No, no, no. If I was happy with a LHD manual NSX, I'd be biting this guy's hand off:
* http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/honda-nsx-m%C3%B6lle/167098991.html

goldnsx
24-11-2012, 10:14 PM
If you go for an auto take care to test the automatic gearbox and watch how the previous owner has driven it. I recall quite a lot of auto gearbox failures. I don't think it's the gearbox itself but the owner trying to keep up with a manual and driving it hard. For me, an auto is not meant to be driven like an manual or in a very sporty manner. In permanent city driving it certainly has its advantage. But even then a manual is that too.

You've mentioned in your initial post that you want a manual, so I would not compromise at all. Higher mileage is not a problem at all if all the maintainance has been done and I don't mean a full booklet with HUK stamps but the quite long list of things that expect to be repaired after 15-20 years.

RHD or LHD? I'd never buy a car that has been built for the wrong side of the road. :) Only one exception: if an English has only been built RHD and I couldn't sleep one feet below groud-level before having owned one. :)

Give yourself a little bit more time. The market changes very slowly. But it can change for you pretty fast if the right car turns up for sale. :)

Good luck!