PDA

View Full Version : Help..CD Changer Has Stopped Working E:01 Code...

TheQuietOne
20-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Hello,

After 6 loving weeks of owning my X Reg 3.2 my CD changer has stopped working, and the headunit gives an error code of E:01 (manual says that this is a changer malfunction - genius).

I went straight into the dealership who sold me the car, Priory in Mansfield - as it has a years Hondacare Warrenty. I was told with no sympathy at all that the alarm and stereo aren't covered by the warrenty because people could have changed / tampered with them - after nearly getting into an argument, and stating that surely someone could have changed / tampered with the whole car as it is 5 years old I decided it was a waste of time! If it were my company that had sold a £37k item and there was a slight problem within a few weeks I would try and sort this rather than ask for more money....

Now I'm stuck with a dead changer (it appears to have powered off - and will not return the cd cartridge, although all cds appear to be present and correct) and an unhelpful garage. :( :cry:

What can anyone suggest? I'm actually quite annoyed although I was aware from Prime and this site that this shoudl be expected with the antiquated audio...I just didn't expect it so soon!

Has anyone a spare changer they would like to sell - ar any other ideas...

Cheers,

Matt.

BrownBear
20-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Try these, Matt..

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19649&highlight=e-01

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21299&highlight=e-01

I'm off to do the very same thing this evening (same problem!) - it's happened to me before but you can fix it - don't buy another (unless you come to your senses and junk the whole thing)

TheQuietOne
20-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks Joe,

I might sneak outside at 4 o'clock and have a prod! Would you advise removing the changer from the cage first, as it is a bit tricky to get your head / arms in that small space - well it is for me!?

You must spend a lot of time waiting to help people on the forum, it is much appreciated....

I just hope it isn't broken for good!

Matt.

BrownBear
20-07-2005, 01:37 PM
You shouldn't need to removed the changer - as long as you tilt it down you'll have enough space.

Depending on whether you have a CD stuck in the tray, you may have to resort to the longer version of removing the cartridge, disconnecting power, reloading empty cartridge, re-power etc to unload the CD from the player mechanism into one of the empty trays, etc mentioned on one of the threads.

TheQuietOne
20-07-2005, 03:19 PM
It works, :D

Popped it out with my reward card, put it back in and hey presto!

Thanks so much.

Matt.

Kevin
20-07-2005, 05:56 PM
You can take a Honda to any dealer to be fixed, and will be covered by the Hondacare warranty. If you don't like the way they treated you go somewhere else next time.

I would of expected them to have looked at it for nothing as you just bought the car recently.

TheQuietOne
21-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi,

I suppose this is one of the pitfalls of buying it from a dealer who have never sold one before. Not only do they (understandably) know less about the cars than you do, but half of them have never even sat it one. The service guy had he known would have been much more help telling me the credit card trick instead of saying it was becasue I had put CDR's in there - which incidentally I hadn't. I have a feeling I'll use the local garrage I bought my CTR and S2000 from in the future - Startin in Worcester.

In the end with the help from here and Prime I have sorted it without any trouble at all - so that is the main thing :wink:

I still do find it interesting that the Hondacare Warranty doesn't cover audio and security - seems unacceptable but never mind!

SimonB
26-07-2005, 12:39 PM
FWIW my understanding of the legal position is that pretty much everythign should be covered by the supplying garage for the 1st 3 months under the sale of goods act. What they sell has to be "merchantable quality" and "fit for purpose" - and this also covers longevity (ie it should not fail within a "reasonable" period"). IMHO 6 weeks isn't reasonable......

adrian
10-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Hi Matt

Don't know if you have resolved the problem yet. But the same fault happened to me 3 years ago.
After checking the price to replace the unit £800 appox , I thought I'd have a look inside the unit thinking if I break it completly then I'll replace the whole system.
What I found after removeing the bottom cover of the unit was the Lazer Carrier rails had lost there grease, I managed to regrease the rails and have had no problems since. The fault was the lazer was not returning to it's default position and the disc kept trying to spin up.
Don't know if this helps.

Adrian

TheQuietOne
16-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the info - I hope it doesn't but it may come in useful one day. All I had to do in the end was puch a credit card down the side of the cartridge and case, to manually pop out the magazine. I did this with the help of Joe (Brownbear) pointing me in the right direction on Prime.

Thanks again,

Matt.