PDA

View Full Version : Replacement brake discs

Mike_L
27-02-2004, 05:07 PM
My front discs are subject to vibration after heavy use. They are at least 1/2 way through their life so IMHO probably not worth skimming.

After much surfing I have come up with a pair of 'Bradi' disks for 70 pounds including VAT and delivery :D (I've paid more than that for Halfords cr.p for a laguna in the past) from http://www.expressparts.co.uk/main.htm they had 2 sets in stock!

Anyhow, Bradi looks to be quite a well respected name particularly in the EVO and Scooby world. Anyone here come across them?

I have ordered them anyhow so will let you know how I get on.

PS Intending to pair them up with some road/track use Mintex pads.

ctrlaltdelboy
27-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Kevin is doing a lot of work/research/negotiating/testing to put together a performance brake kit for us which will fit under the OEM 16/17" wheel combo. if you can hang on for a while you may want to join the rest of us who will be looking to do this upgrade.

if not, in the meantime I recently went for a pair of black diamond slotted rotors in the oem size (280 x 28 mm) at £150 which seem to be quite an improvement over the stock rotors.

Darren

Mike_L
27-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Interesting about the black diamond - I was looking at those but searching through the old yahoo group archive and a couple of posts indicated some problems ie tendancy to warp.

(forums are sooo much easier to use than the mail search :roll: )

I still run the 15/16" wheels and I would struggle to justify the extra cost. (Also remember mines an auto so brakes probably don't get quite such a pounding - do try though :wink: )

ctrlaltdelboy
27-02-2004, 05:36 PM
I've got a couple of spare sets of the 16/17" wheels if you decide to upgrade anytime

Kevin
27-02-2004, 07:56 PM
The Bradi discs should be good. Dali uses them for the slotted discs. I not sure but I think Brembo may use Bradi discs for some of their kits. After all how many foundries can there be making discs for every type of car out there? I would imagine there are a few foundries and the rest of these 'performance' discs are plain discs that have been machined.

Be aware Mintex don't keep the rear pads in stock in 1155 compound anymore. Don't know about 1144. You will have to have a batch made. I am thinking it, let me know if you want that compound.

The brake kit I am doing will use a new front caliper and disc, and a new disc with moved orginal rear caliper. So the rears will still need OEM sized pads.

Mike_L
20-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Oh Well - the original discs turned up but were the wrong size, diameter and thickness OK, but offset by about 15mm too deep (not just a little out, callipers wouldn't even fit back on).

I returned these and express autoparts refunded with no problems including the carriage, so still a good service. Looks like the parts listing they have for them is incorrect.

I ended up ordering EBC discs for about £30 more, and they fitted perfectly, so £100 pound for a set of front discs + £30 for the pads is not so bad.

On fitting the EBC discs I noticed that the edges were stamped 'bradi' so it turned out to be the same castings used anyhow.

david_f
11-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Kevin is doing a lot of work/research/negotiating/testing to put together a performance brake kit for us which will fit under the OEM 16/17" wheel combo. if you can hang on for a while you may want to join the rest of us who will be looking to do this upgrade.

if not, in the meantime I recently went for a pair of black diamond slotted rotors in the oem size (280 x 28 mm) at £150 which seem to be quite an improvement over the stock rotors.

Darren

Any news on the upgraded discs for the standard 16/17 inch set-up? I'd be interested in joining the fold. Cheers, David (London based).

Kevin
11-05-2004, 05:24 PM
They're not just upgraded discs. It's a full big brake kit. I am waiting on the last of the parts to be made and then they will be mine!

david_f
12-05-2004, 07:38 AM
They're not just upgraded discs. It's a full big brake kit. I am waiting on the last of the parts to be made and then they will be mine!

That's interesting Kevin. When you say "mine", does this mean it's every man for himself or will you be in a position to sign-post others to the suppliier of your upgrade? And will it fit the standard 16/17" wheel set-up? Regards, David.

ctrlaltdelboy
12-05-2004, 09:43 AM
David

I can understand your interpretation of Kevin's comment, but let me fill you in on what he really means....

Kevin has for some time been working with various manufacturers and fabricators (and fiddling in his shed, but thats another story :lol: ) in order to create custom parts and solutions for both himself and us, the members of the NSXCB.

the brake kit that Kevin has been working on has be designed to be an upgrade in every sense but on which will still fit with the factory 16"/17" wheel combo (but not the 1991 to 1993 15"/16" combo).

a key part of the brake kit as with all of Kevin's custom items is that it will be delivered within a realistic budget.

so the point of Kevin's 'me' comment was that his will be the first car to be fitted with the kit once it is available both from a guinea-pig perspective and also as the perk/reward of being the instigator and developer of the kit in the first place.

once final testing has been concluded on the first kit installed (i.e. Kevin's) then the kit will be made available through Kevin for any of us who wish to take advantage of it.

Keep up the good work Kev - looking forward to seeing the results of your prototype rear wing!.

also David, I think Kevin may have one set of custom made Harness bars left as worn by Kevin, Mo, Andrew and myself - see here (http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35) for details.

Darren

Kevin
12-05-2004, 07:33 PM
David, yes Darren is correct.

It's no secret where the brakes are being made. I may of mentioned it before, it's Hi-Spec brakes. When I said 'mine' I mean the set currently being made up.

It would be wise to wait until my set are fitted, in case there are any problems and remedial work needed.

I was thinking about having some parts made by some engineers that make other bits for me. I would buy in the calipers. However I asked Hi-Spec to make everything.

The down side to this has been the time it takes Hi-Spec to make the kit. It was started on the 24th Feb, and I'm still waiting. :(

I am worried that people here will get completely annoyed with Hi-Spec if they have to wait for kits to be made. So I may still take the parts I get, and get them re-made elsewhere. Maybe organising a group buy will be the best idea, as they can tool up for a decent number to make in one go.

The Hi-Spec kits are not 'mine' anyone can buy them. If I choose to produce my own kits then, they will be available through me, hopefully quicker than Hi-Spec can make them.

There are indeed a set of harness bars available. Unlike the Hi-Spec brakes, these are only available through me. Let me point out one thing, I don't make any profit on these parts. I organise a group buy and price based on the total cost, not even including the numerous trips for measuring and testing etc. The harness bars also needed tooling made and I share the cost of that tooling between everyone who bought one. I also fitted the bars for most people for free.

The CF parts which I work on, are completely made by me, I will make some return on the cost of my time spent on these, but I doubt anyone will find cheaper prices.
I basically make what I want for my car, and while I'm at it make a few more for others.

Hope this all makes sense. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

david_f
23-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks chaps! I find all this interchange fascinating. Power to your elbow Kev. Regards.

mcibuk
28-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Kevin,

You may have already considered larger disc (rotor) on a 17" wheel but if not, take a look at NSX Prime website under International and you will find an interesting solution using a 330mm rotor :o

I am interested in this and other solutions to improving brake performance for roadgoing use therefore wait with interest to see how you experts work it out!!

Are there any downsides to using 17" wheels all round?

Look forward to all the help i can get as usual.

Kevin
29-07-2004, 03:37 PM
The rotor in the kit (which one day I hope to have), is larger than normal. I have seen the one on prime. My thoughts;

The one on Prime uses the standard caliper. This in itself is not a problem. Most 4-pot kits use pistons which are the same size as the standard caliper, so they don't have any hydraulic advantage. However new calipers are lighter, take a bigger pad, and are possibly stiffer.

I see nothing wrong with the kit on Prime, apart from the price. It's a little expensive for a rotor + bell + caliper bracket. Also the rotor has to remain at 28mm thick, while mine is 32mm.