PDA

View Full Version : Dallying with the idea of an NSX

dangerous_brain
18-07-2005, 09:02 PM
I currently drive a modified supra TT aerotop. I have had this car since way before the fast and the furious made them popular. Problem is when I first bought it there were none anywhere. You would see about one a year if you were lucky. Now they are everywhere. In my area alone I see about 5 a day. I've always wanted the car I have but now am dissapointed with its popularity. I have also always dreamt of having an NSX. Now I know I will be giving away a hod of power to an NSX (my car is pushing out in excess of 400bhp) but as a car its lighter and more agile so I would gain in that respect some of what I am losing in power.

I'm also giving away alot of money that I've invested in my car that I won't see returned. Mine should fetch in and around the £13k-£14k bracket. What can I expect to get for that sort of money in the NSX stakes if anything worth having? Are there many of these cars in Japan to import here? Reason I ask being its the import market from Japan thats flooded the UK with supra's and I wouldn't want to go down that route again.

The older cars (which is what I am going to be looking at in all reality) what sort of power and specs were they?

BrownBear
19-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Hi Bryan,

For that sort of money you should look long and hard at the car.. Having said that, NSX's are pretty robust and you shouldn't be too put off by high mileages (some guys in the US have 300Kmiles on them).

All Early Manual NSX's are the same (colour notwithstanding) - same power (270Hp), same spec (there were no options to speak of), same annoying radio :wink:

I'd estimate you'd be fortunate to find a car which is good for you, but there've been a couple of good straight ones in your price range recently (one posted today on the For Sale board today), so it's not an impossibility.

Check for History + Accident Damage - and make sure everything works - they're expensive to repair (parts prices are just :shock: )

good luck!

michaelw
19-07-2005, 09:28 PM
One thing I would say is so far my car has been relatively cheap to run, they don't tend to go wrong so even though the parts are expensive you don't tend to need many of them and as another recent post says the fuel economy is pretty good as well.

I had a modified 200sx before the NSX and it was MUCH more expensive to run I had 3 turbos go I think. My point is that it might be worth finding the extra money and you may save in the long run. I still wouldn't say they were cheap to run but in my experience a modified car is expensive to modify and run and the NSX is sooo good it is well worth it.

I honestly don't miss the power even though believe it or not the 200 was quite a bit quicker as the Honda is superb all the time.

Saying all that if something major does go it could well be very pricey. Just my two pence worth.

Michael.

Greybloke
20-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Jjust noticed two cars recently listed on ebay, which may be of interest to you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18206&item=4563542415&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18206&item=4563546130&rd=1

Good luck :D

K24XPL
20-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Hello Bryan

I feel pretty qualified to comment on this, as I have previously owned a Supra Turbo, and currently own an NSX

I dont know how much clearer I can say it than, the NSX is simply in a different league to the Supra, in both looks and handling (although of course the first is subjective)

Performance wise, a 400 + bhp will out drag a standard NSX (just) though all manual NSXs will manage a 0-60 time of about 5.5 seconds and a quarter mile in just over 13 seconds.

the big difference is, you see supras everywhere - they are common as muck.

In two years of driving around in the NSX, I have only actually crossed paths with 3 other NSXs on the road.

Try one- they are fantastic.

dangerous_brain
20-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Hello Bryan

I feel pretty qualified to comment on this, as I have previously owned a Supra Turbo, and currently own an NSX

I dont know how much clearer I can say it than, the NSX is simply in a different league to the Supra, in both looks and handling (although of course the first is subjective)

Performance wise, a 400 + bhp will out drag a standard NSX (just) though all manual NSXs will manage a 0-60 time of about 5.5 seconds and a quarter mile in just over 13 seconds.

the big difference is, you see supras everywhere - they are common as muck.

In two years of driving around in the NSX, I have only actually crossed paths with 3 other NSXs on the road.

Try one- they are fantastic.

This is my problem with the supra. As a car i love it to bits but now every other car on the road is a supra. It does however scare me a bit in the wet. Is the NSX a handfull due to its mid engine rear wheel drive setup? Can you get race logic traction control for it? What i really want is the targa to replace my aerotop so i can forsee me having to save my pennies for a while. Looks wise I personally find the rear light cluster needs some modification as it looks a bit pants :(

dangerous_brain
20-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Oh I'll be on the mkiv supra stand at JAE from Friday afternoon all weekend so i'll pop over and say hi

BrownBear
21-07-2005, 07:25 AM
OK - come and hassle us and we'll try and help you with some info - it's easier to talk than type long replies!

dangerous_brain
21-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Cool I will. Just to prove my point we have 150+ supra's turning up on our stand how many NSX's are you expecting? Last year I think I counted about 10 which says it all really.