PDA

View Full Version : NSX-R NA2 gear lever

JP825
22-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Can anyone confirm if the type r gear shift is the same as my 02 NSX?

They just seem to be a lot shorter for some reason on the NSX-R. I want to get the type R gear knob for my car but just want to make sure it will fit and looks the same.

Has anyone try fitting any other Type R gearknob who looks very similar but half the price?

Thanks

AR
22-04-2009, 05:26 PM
It will fit but the NSX-R stalk is threaded lower down.

Half the price...remember that you get what you pay for.

I do recall that some members have fitted ITR shiftknobs of some sort.

If you go with the NSX-R get the shift boot as well to complete the package.

Cheers,

AR

Sudesh
22-04-2009, 08:41 PM
As Ary mentioned, the gear shaft on the NSX-R is threaded further so the gear knob sits further down the shaft, hence the height difference.

I purchased the NSX-R gear knob a while back and discorvered this problem and in my opinion it just didnt look right. So after talking to Ary about it and ways to modify the shaft; I decided to removed the gear shaft assembly, and took it to an engineering company that modified the shaft for me and now the gear shift sits nice and low and actually feel alot nicer to change.

Sudesh
22-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Forgot to add,

The Civic Type-R gear knob is the same as the NSX-R one with the exception of having a red insert instead of yellow. I sold a new Civic on last year and if you look on ebay or even a few breakers, you will find a genuine one no problem.

This is the Civic one:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_448/car_photo_224075_25.jpg

NSX-R Gear Knob

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/files/Thumbs/oem_drive_shiftknob_ti_6NA.jpg

AR
23-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Sudesh other than the font and colour I think that the material is different as the NSX-R is Ti and the CTR is some lighter alloy, but I could be wrong.

Sudesh
23-04-2009, 10:14 AM
You could be right Ary.

I have the OEM NSX-R gear knob and the Civic Type-R one I sold felt the same! If its a different alloy then its pretty close to the NSX-R one.

JP825
23-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your help, just as I thought the NSX-R stalk is different.:(

I dont think I can go through the hassle of getting it machine and that so need to change my plan I guess.

AR
23-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your help, just as I thought the NSX-R stalk is different.:(

I dont think I can go through the hassle of getting it machine and that so need to change my plan I guess.

Is not a must mate you can get away without doing it. With the Type S/Zanardi is a real must and with the NA1R is impossible. :)

dan the man
25-04-2009, 05:02 PM
NSX-R, DC2, EK9 are Titanium.

DC5, EP3, FN2, FD2 are Aluminium. Marks easier but easier to produce i guess. Same effect tho.

Senninha
26-04-2009, 09:08 AM
JP825,

I bought an OEM NSX-R knob and it fits straight on. I also installed the matching gaiter. All works fine without any mods to the standard shaft.

HTH, Paul

Can anyone confirm if the type r gear shift is the same as my 02 NSX?

They just seem to be a lot shorter for some reason on the NSX-R. I want to get the type R gear knob for my car but just want to make sure it will fit and looks the same.

Has anyone try fitting any other Type R gearknob who looks very similar but half the price?

Thanks

JP825
26-04-2009, 11:51 AM
JP825,

I bought an OEM NSX-R knob and it fits straight on. I also installed the matching gaiter. All works fine without any mods to the standard shaft.

HTH, Paul

Do you have a pic if you dont mind. Just want to make sure it doesnt sit too high?

Thanks

Senninha
26-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Not showing height, will find time in week and post

this is all I have at the mo

JP825
27-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Not showing height, will find time in week and post

this is all I have at the mo

Appreciated.. Thanks:)

AR
28-04-2009, 11:01 AM
When I had a 3.2 NSX and had that combo, I noticed that in 6th and reverse the boot seemed to be streched, but I sorted that by chopping a quarter of an inch off the stalk!