PDA

View Full Version : Honda announce end of NSX production

mk1
15-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Any thoughts, folks, before I buy my 97 Targa - Fmatic from Trident?

Honda to discontinue NSX
Tue Jul 12, 2005 07:45 AM BST

TOKYO (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co. said on Tuesday it would stop making the NSX model, putting to rest its priciest product, which in 1990 became the first Japanese super sports car to compete with the likes of Ferrari and Porsche.

Japan's third-biggest auto maker, which initially launched the NSX to showcase its racing technology, said it was developing a new sports car that would, unlike the NSX, meet stricter U.S. and European emissions regulations to be introduced next year.

A spokesman declined to provide further information on the next sports car, including when production would start.

The hand-made, all-aluminium NSX has sold about 18,500 units since its debut 15 years ago, and it is Honda's highest-priced model, ranging between 9.66 million and 13.55 million yen.

After peaking at 8,422 units in 1991, sales of the NSX, sold under the Acura premium brand in North America, have steadily declined, totalling just 235 units last year.

Honda said it would halt production of Europe-bound NSX cars in September, and of those bound for Japan and North America in December.

The NSX is built at Honda's domestic Suzuka factory, which also makes the S2000 compact sports car and Insight hybrid model.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

BabyNSX
16-07-2005, 05:50 PM
yes this was in the paper too.
i think the value of used nsx's will be even firmer because of this