PDA

View Full Version : Early NSX?

Sublime
16-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Hi all, found this site the other day when I re-ignited my interest in obtaining an NSX :). Quick question, how often do the early ones come up for sale, I've got my local dealership, Norton Way Honda in Letchworth, looking, and I'm monitoring PistonHeads, Autotrader and here, but I don't want to search in vain if they are too rare these days?

NSX 2000
16-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Hi all, found this site the other day when I re-ignited my interest in obtaining an NSX :). Quick question, how often do the early ones come up for sale, I've got my local dealership, Norton Way Honda in Letchworth, looking, and I'm monitoring PistonHeads, Autotrader and here, but I don't want to search in vain if they are too rare these days?

Hello and welcome Sublime.

Cars do come up for sale fairly often, and as it happens there are 2 nice pop up 3.2's for sale at the moment. What is your budget and do you have a spec in mind?

HTH

Paul.

Sublime
16-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Hello and welcome Sublime.

Cars do come up for sale fairly often, and as it happens there are 2 nice pop up 3.2's for sale at the moment. What is your budget and do you have a spec in mind?

HTH

Paul.

Hi there Paul, thanks for the welcome.

I'd like one of the early 90's 3.0 manual ones, my budget is around £15K unfortunately otherwise I'd be tempted with a 3.2 :).

Cheers,
Steven

AR
16-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Budget is not unrealistic, for an early car. The thing is that unless you are lucky a manual car in that price range will be needing some work. With the NSX by on condition rather than year.

Sublime
16-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Budget is not unrealistic, for an early car. The thing is that unless you are lucky a manual car in that price range will be needing some work. With the NSX by on condition rather than year.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. I presume it'd be things like cambelt and associated bits, clutch, brakes, etc. that would require attention at that age or are there more common items to look out for?

mutley
16-04-2009, 09:39 AM
HI,

I am fairly local to you, so if you want to have a look round mine let me know ( it's not for sale though) but I will be able to point aout a few things to look for as my car is a 1992 manual.

Jim

Sublime
16-04-2009, 09:45 AM
HI,

I am fairly local to you, so if you want to have a look round mine let me know ( it's not for sale though) but I will be able to point aout a few things to look for as my car is a 1992 manual.

Jim

Cool, thank you, I notice you are just around the corner from me, about 5 - 10 mins :). I'll take you up on that offer should I find one to purchase, don't want to waste your time unnecessarily.

Much appreciated,
Steven

AR
16-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. I presume it'd be things like cambelt and associated bits, clutch, brakes, etc. that would require attention at that age or are there more common items to look out for?

Don't let waht I wrote scare you away as any car will need the odd thing or two.

Here is a good link on this forum:

http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=3444

Cheers,

AR

Sublime
16-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Don't let waht I wrote scare you away as any car will need the odd thing or two.

Here is a good link on this forum:

http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=3444

Cheers,

AR

Not at all ;) it's nice to know what to look out for, I used to run a S1 Elise every day for a couple of years, 20K+ miles, before redundancy made me sell it, and the K-series engines like to let go big time, but I never had a problem with mine. Anyway I've wanted an NSX ever since they came out, I will one day own one :).

Thanks again,
Steven

mutley
16-04-2009, 01:38 PM
..............................................Anyw ay I've wanted an NSX ever since they came out, I will one day own one :).

Thanks again,
Steven

Yeah I think we all said that at one point, and when we got one, never looked back.

Jim

Silver Surfer
16-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Welcome Sublime,

I think Gsud is selling a early 3.0 manual silver one for around your budget. It's on PH as well.

SS

Sublime
17-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Welcome Sublime,

I think Gsud is selling a early 3.0 manual silver one for around your budget. It's on PH as well.

SS

Thank you SS :).

I've seen that one on PH thanks and am interested, especially since I could take a long weekend in Edinburgh, but at the moment I need to sell my current run around before I can buy one privately and unfortunately my wife's car has developed an annoying electrical fault making it unusable :(, so I'm stuck on that front. However, Norton Way phoned me yesterday to keep me in the loop, nothing yet but they've been asking around :).

Have fun,
Steven

gsuds
17-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Thank you SS :).

before I can buy one privately

Hi Steven

Yes my car is indeed still for sale, now £13995 - they really won't go any lower! The advantage is that it's with my friend who's a car dealer - he'll be able to help with PX/finance & all the usual stuff. Iff you want to know more just let me know.

Cheers

Graham

Sublime
17-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi Steven

Yes my car is indeed still for sale, now £13995 - they really won't go any lower! The advantage is that it's with my friend who's a car dealer - he'll be able to help with PX/finance & all the usual stuff. Iff you want to know more just let me know.

Cheers

Graham

Hi Graham,

That is a good price, let me have a word with the boss (wife) and see if we can't take some holiday soon and visit Scotland again. Is your friend's dealership near Edinburgh, I was thinking we'd get the train up, not too bad a journey the last two times we've been, since I live on the mainline?

Oh, the window tints, I'm not a fan of them generally but they do look good on your car from the pictures on PistonHeads, is it a film or replacement glass?

Have fun,
Steven

gsuds
17-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Steven,

Yes is film so easily removed if you don't want 'em: my own thoughts are much the same as yours but actually look quite good on the car so I never got them removed myself.

Showroom is in Musselburgh, a coastal town more or less continuous with Edinburgh's eastern limit. I am enforcedly off work at present, and will be for next month or 2 (been in hospital for >2 weeks with pneumonia - very scary I tell thee) so would be free to help out once you're here. CheesyJet from Luton may well be your cheapest option actually ;)

Cheers

Graham

Sublime
20-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Hi Steven,

Yes is film so easily removed if you don't want 'em: my own thoughts are much the same as yours but actually look quite good on the car so I never got them removed myself.

Showroom is in Musselburgh, a coastal town more or less continuous with Edinburgh's eastern limit. I am enforcedly off work at present, and will be for next month or 2 (been in hospital for >2 weeks with pneumonia - very scary I tell thee) so would be free to help out once you're here. CheesyJet from Luton may well be your cheapest option actually ;)

Cheers

Graham

Sorry to hear about the pneumonia Graham, my wife had that when she was younger, not good at all, hope you are well on your way to recovery. Yeah, CheesyJet, always forget about them doing internal flights :D. I'll let you know if we can get up that way soon, work loads at the present are a bit hectic but hopefully try to free up one of our weekends. No doubt it'll be sold soon at that price but not to matter, if it's not meant to be that's not a problem, another will appear, still finger's crossed (for me, you'd rather sell it sooner:)).

Have fun,
Steven

Sublime
27-04-2009, 12:36 PM
While browsing in my lunch hour ;) I noticed this one that's not too far away from me, interesting if it sells at it's lowest price on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-HONDA-NSX-AUTO-RED_W0QQitemZ300310431229QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomo biles_UK?hash=item300310431229&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-HONDA-NSX-AUTO-RED_W0QQitemZ300310431229QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomo biles_UK?hash=item300310431229&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

and as advertised on autotrader...

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/HONDA+NSX/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-240-4294925094-4294966904/advert.action?R=200917333241895&distance=19&postcode=SG15+6SX&channel=CARS&make=HONDA&model=NSX&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=1995&vehicleRegLetter=M

As a matter of interest what are the automatics like to drive compared with the manuals?

Have fun,
Steven

NSXGB
27-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the owner used to post here?
Damn cheap car.

AR
27-04-2009, 12:46 PM
As a matter of interest what are the automatics like to drive compared with the manuals?

Have fun,
Steven

They have more of a GT type feel than a manual one. If you are just using it for a city car and some country drives I am sure it will be OK.

simonprelude
27-04-2009, 12:54 PM
While browsing in my lunch hour ;) I noticed this one that's not too far away from me, interesting if it sells at it's lowest price on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-HONDA-NSX-AUTO-RED_W0QQitemZ300310431229QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomo biles_UK?hash=item300310431229&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-HONDA-NSX-AUTO-RED_W0QQitemZ300310431229QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomo biles_UK?hash=item300310431229&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

I took a year to find this car before I bought it 3 years ago and I have yet to see a better one on the road!

If you don't know about these cars just look the reviews up on the internet - you will not get a better looking and driving car for this money!

The car has only undertaken 69,000 miles and (rarely for these) is a UK car and has the red roof rather than the horrible black glass roof that most red ones have.

Oh dear...............

Sublime
27-04-2009, 12:56 PM
They have more of a GT type feel than a manual one. If you are just using it for a city car and some country drives I am sure it will be OK.

Thanks, nice way of describing it :) it's not my choice of gearbox but an option if I don't find what I'm looking for. Still I'd need to sell my current car before I can purchase one privately and I've got Graham's one to look at, which I may be able to p/x with the dealership it is at, should it not go before I can arrange time to go and view it.

Have fun,
Steven

Sublime
27-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I took a year to find this car before I bought it 3 years ago and I have yet to see a better one on the road!

If you don't know about these cars just look the reviews up on the internet - you will not get a better looking and driving car for this money!

The car has only undertaken 69,000 miles and (rarely for these) is a UK car and has the red roof rather than the horrible black glass roof that most red ones have.

Oh dear...............

I did notice that bit as well :eek: ...

Sudesh
27-04-2009, 07:22 PM
That red car on ebay has been for sale for a while! In-fact its been at least a year on and off the maket. Also the photos have not changed so the seller is using "older" pics. I would ask for current photos.

The red/black combo and red/red combo has been discussed quite a bit in the past and I seen a few threads on Prime about it. Personally for me it all down to your own preference. I like the red with black as it makes the car look alot lower and has also been compared to a fighter jet.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/F-15_NSX20008208x6.jpg

Sublime
28-04-2009, 07:16 AM
That red car on ebay has been for sale for a while! In-fact its been at least a year on and off the maket. Also the photos have not changed so the seller is using "older" pics. I would ask for current photos.

The red/black combo and red/red combo has been discussed quite a bit in the past and I seen a few threads on Prime about it. Personally for me it all down to your own preference. I like the red with black as it makes the car look alot lower and has also been compared to a fighter jet.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/F-15_NSX20008208x6.jpg

That's interesting, thank you, I wonder why it's not been sold already? I think I'd actually view it first if I were more interested in it, living close enough to do that.

I personally think there's something odd if a red NSX doesn't have a black roof but then maybe that's because it was how I first saw one and yeah it does make it look like a fighter jet :D.

Have fun,
Steven

jaytip
28-04-2009, 05:23 PM
I personally think there's something odd if a red NSX doesn't have a black roof
There's nothing odd looking about this beauty ;)

Silver Surfer
28-04-2009, 06:28 PM
There's nothing odd looking about this beauty ;)

Yes......but that's not an early model NSX.;)

SS

AR
28-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Yes......but that's not an early model NSX.;)

SS

Even in ex-Luke's very nice 2004 NFR NSX the roof looked odd in red.

Senninha
28-04-2009, 07:03 PM
.......I personally think there's something odd if a red NSX doesn't have a black roof but then maybe that's because it was how I first saw one and yeah it does make it look like a fighter jet :D.

Have fun,
Steven

And that was part of the thinking behing the black roof. You will note that around the same time, Honda were delivering the CRX with its lower body clad in plastic trim, also black in colour. This was also to slim the lines of the car.

Clearly it was a Honda cosmetic design theory during the early 90's

Regards,

Sublime
29-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Even in ex-Luke's very nice 2004 NFR NSX the roof looked odd in red.

I've opened a can of worms :laugh:.

I notice that Rob's car he had for sale here is back on PistonHeads (http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/998649.htm) but seems to be missing it's nice plate.

Have fun,
Steven

Sublime
06-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Has the value of NSXs gone up this much recently?

If I'm not mistaken this is the same car, give or take a very slight mileage increase and a possible mis-representation on the year...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=220408518616&Category=18206&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1026366.htm - http://www.dmtautos.co.uk/stock.htm

...it looks like it was marked as sold in the last day on ebay, advertised previously between £12K - £14K and the dealer now has it for £22K!

Still I could be completely wrong...

Have fun,
Steven

Senninha
06-05-2009, 02:59 PM
...it looks like it was marked as sold in the last day on ebay, advertised previously between £12K - £14K and the dealer now has it for £22K!

Have fun,
Steven

If it is then it sold quickly because it was priced right for an auto. At the stealer listing price, it wont be re-selling that quick. Plus, at that money theres a great looking 99 Targa for sale at the moment that would be far more interesting if you want an auto....

But if you want a manual, theres a manual targa on P'heads or Simon's Imola manual is close to this money!

regards,

eclipse1501
06-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Its early...its auto...its RHD...its price negotiable....its in Germany :angry:
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/showDetails.html?id=113021486&__lp=1&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&sortOption.sortOrder=ASCENDING&makeModelVariant1.makeId=11000&makeModelVariant1.modelId=15&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&vehicleCategory=Car&segment=Car&siteId=GERMANY&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&export=NO_EXPORT&customerIdsAsString=&lang=en&pageNumber=1

Dave J
07-05-2009, 06:36 AM
That looks like a totally different car, it is red though i'll grant you that :D The garage has one hell of a stock list, wish mine were like that!

Sublime
07-05-2009, 07:04 AM
That looks like a totally different car, it is red though i'll grant you that :D The garage has one hell of a stock list, wish mine were like that!

Probably, just thought it was too much of a coincidence given the rarity of them, matching oweners, description and it's sudden sale from ebay, but hey, one quick win on the euro-millions tonight and you too can have that amount of cars :D.

Dave J
07-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Yes, i can still dream eh :D On the discussion of early NSX's i'm still in two minds about keeping mine due to the arrival of an R34 GTR .........give me a call if you'd possibly have an interest, she's a UK car and a manual.
Dave. 07810 098199.

Sublime
07-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Yes, i can still dream eh :D On the discussion of early NSX's i'm still in two minds about keeping mine due to the arrival of an R34 GTR .........give me a call if you'd possibly have an interest, she's a UK car and a manual.
Dave. 07810 098199.

Definitely still have an interest in an early manual NSX, got a couple to look at privately once I've sold my daily drive so I may well give you a shout soon, thanks Dave :).

A GTR is definitely on my list of toys should I be lucky with the loto, I'm jealous :D ...

Dave J
07-05-2009, 07:26 AM
I just love turbo power :D. I've got an R32/33/34 selection at the moment so i just need a 35 now to be a happy man :)
Out of interest, what car are you selling? I only deal in *** sports (NSX is my baby though) but have plenty of trade contacts if you have something nice to chop in.....

Sublime
07-05-2009, 07:35 AM
I just love turbo power :D. I've got an R32/33/34 selection at the moment so i just need a 35 now to be a happy man :)

Turbo's are fun, I remember my first experience of one, my friend's Dad bought a new Sierra Cosworth when they came out, the one with the huge tail and original shape, that's showing my age.

Nice collection :).

Dave J
07-05-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm old as well then! The GTR's are just my stock cars and although mine i couldn't afford them all otherwise. They all very much loved though and still my babies :)

simonprelude
07-05-2009, 08:29 AM
If it is then it sold quickly because it was priced right for an auto.

The trade car says 1994 M reg, the ebay car is on an N plate so either the trader has the details wrong or it's a different car.
Strange though it popping up at the same time.

sassthathoopie
07-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Has the value of NSXs gone up this much recently?

A local trader I spoke to at the weekend told me that early manual NSX had gone up by £6000 in the last couple of months. I explained that this was likely to be because of the differences in value between an auto/manual and an unloved/cherished car.

I bought my red/black 1991 last summer for the same price Quentin Wilson told me to buy it for when he did a second hand review on Top Gear with Tiff Needell (How long ago was that?!!)

Paul G
07-05-2009, 02:16 PM
6 GRAND!!!! Better put mine up then ;-)

Cheers
PG

Sublime
07-05-2009, 02:28 PM
A local trader I spoke to at the weekend told me that early manual NSX had gone up by £6000 in the last couple of months. I explained that this was likely to be because of the differences in value between an auto/manual and an unloved/cherished car.

I bought my red/black 1991 last summer for the same price Quentin Wilson told me to buy it for when he did a second hand review on Top Gear with Tiff Needell (How long ago was that?!!)

I suppose that's market forces for you, although £6K seems a little excessive when the majority are probably cherished since they'd be owned by people who want one rather than those looking for a posing vehicle.

Still with so few around they're going to hold their value well, not that's any reason to own one though.

sassthathoopie
07-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Apparently Glasses guide is up 6k since Christmas. Maybe Luke can check this??

This didn't suprise me as I thought I had read this elsewhere on NSXCB.

I suspect this is to differentiate between an average auto 10-13k? and a average/good manual ~15-18k

Why Graham can't get 14 for his car is beyond me.

Sublime
07-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Apparently Glasses guide is up 6k since Christmas. Maybe Luke can check this??

This didn't suprise me as I thought I had read this elsewhere on NSXCB.

I suspect this is to differentiate between an average auto 10-13k? and a average/good manual ~15-18k

Maybe the Glasses guide is wrong, how often does it get updated and what data do they use to base their figures on?

I'd better try and organise some time soon to go up and view Graham's car before he puts the value up :D, damn work and all that...

Paul G
07-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I did hear the same story a few weeks back, however I think it was more in relation to the new models? Still I'm not one to argue!

PG

sassthathoopie
07-05-2009, 03:31 PM
I don't have access to Glasses guide so I'm only guessing based on what I was told. I'll PM Luke.

Sublime
07-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't have access to Glasses guide so I'm only guessing based on what I was told. I'll PM Luke.

That'd be good to know, thanks :).

Senninha
07-05-2009, 06:08 PM

Whilst you can never guarantee trouble frree motoring with any car, giventhe TLC Graham has poured into this particular NSX, it should give its new keeper many miles of enjoyment IMHO

regards,

sassthathoopie
07-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Luke tells me the rumours are true.

"TBH it hasn;t really affected their trade value as they're still only worth what people are willing to offer. They were WELL undervalued before, but are now possibly overvalued!

Cheers,

Luke"

gsuds
07-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Whilst you can never guarantee trouble frree motoring with any car, giventhe TLC Graham has poured into this particular NSX, it should give its new keeper many miles of enjoyment IMHO

regards,

Thanks for the kind words mate!

Getting much more interest with price at this level sadly, don't see much real-world evidence of increasing value, but demand for NSXs, although probably much increased over when they were new, is still going to be with the minority cognoscenti....

Cheers

Graham

Senninha
08-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Graham,

I dont know if you have the time but it may well be worth the trip to Japfest if you can manage it. As you know froom previous years, the NSX collection always recieves a lot of interest and you would get to show off the car to several thousand enthusiasts on one day.

IIRC, previous years have resulted in sales within days of the event

regards, Paul

Sublime
08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Luke tells me the rumours are true.

"TBH it hasn;t really affected their trade value as they're still only worth what people are willing to offer. They were WELL undervalued before, but are now possibly overvalued!

Cheers,

Luke"

Thanks for checking this, much appreciated :).

Sublime
08-05-2009, 09:51 AM
but demand for NSXs, although probably much increased over when they were new, is still going to be with the minority cognoscenti....

That's the key I think Graham, even though they are worth the money people just don't know about them or aren't interested, just like when they were new, they'd choose a Porsche over one, sad, but then that's the uninformed masses.

The boss and I are still trying hard to coincide our work schedules to make the journey up to you, I know I keep saying this but it's a little bit of a nightmare and all, especially with the wife's job at constant threat of redundancy, oh well, such is life I 'spose.

Have fun,
Steven

gsuds
09-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Graham,

I dont know if you have the time but it may well be worth the trip to Japfest if you can manage it. As you know froom previous years, the NSX collection always recieves a lot of interest and you would get to show off the car to several thousand enthusiasts on one day.

IIRC, previous years have resulted in sales within days of the event

regards, Paul

Paul,

Yes, having been at the first one I agree it'd be an ideal "market place", but I've been pretty unwell recently, and being a bit of a lightweight wouldn't manage the drive down! A month later and it'd probably be OK. But everyone would have gone home by then :laugh:

Cheers

Graham