PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried K&N air Filter?

Ewan
02-04-2009, 12:18 PM
I used K&N filters in my S2000s and found they were worth having for the slight deepening of the induction noise, and the fact that they didn't need replacing with every annual service.

I'm not really interested in going for airbox replacement in the NSX, but wondered if the K&N filter 33-2713 (http://www.roadrunnermotorsport.co.uk/index.asp?frame=/kn-air-filters.asp) would make much difference? Anyone using one and would you recommend it?

cheers, Ewan

Kevin
02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Yes I have one.
No I do not recommend it.

Ewan
02-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Kevin - Now you've left me hanging :)

Why not? Does it not make any difference? Is it somehow worse than the standard one?

cheers
Ewan

Yokohama_91
03-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Ewan

I have the K&N FIPK Kit on my NSX [57 series I think] It looks good, sounds good and cheap to maintain as you clean it with oil. So I can recommend it.

Simon

Greybloke
03-04-2009, 11:48 AM
I too had one on my two previous S2k's

I've had one on my NSX for about 3 years and 70,000 miles, and am very happy. Needs cleaning and re oil periodically (I do mine about once a year) and it saves a few squid:)

I'm sure if you are looking for optimal performance there may be an argument that it's not as efficient as the standard box, as its drawing warmer air from within the engine bay as opposed to the scoop. I think this is probably so marginal that I can live with it.

jbracefan1977
13-06-2009, 06:41 AM
I used K&N filters in my S2000s and found they were worth having for the slight deepening of the induction noise, and the fact that they didn't need replacing with every annual service.

I'm not really interested in going for airbox replacement in the NSX, but wondered if the K&N filter 33-2713........

I have the same K&N also and love it, I could not find a good deal on ebay so I found a discount coupon here: K&N 33-2713 (http://airintakeandfilter.com/product.php?productid=1743), or you can try one of the vendors on the forum here, you can usually find a good deal that way as well. This was very easy to install and I love it. good luck :yes:

Kaz-kzukNA1
13-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi, all.

Unless your back pressure (exhaust) is reduced or you have modified the engine hardware/software, I recommend staying with OEM air filter/box unless you want to listen to the extra intake sound (if you can still hear it…) from your aftermarket filter.

The design of OEM airbox and intake resonance chamber inside the left rear wing is quite special that unless you have modified the engine side, you are more likely to loose the power at certain rpm band based on the dyno data.

If you are going to use after market one with oil type filter like K&N one, please be careful with the amount of oil you use after cleaning. On some of the NSX using these aftermarket filters, I noticed significant increase of sticky oily dirt inside the throttle body and on the butterfly. Even with the OEM filter, you'll get this sticky dirt but it is from the blow-by gas which is after the filter and nothing to do with the air filter.

In fact, it’s not the K&N filter issue but it was the users applying too much oil after the cleaning process. So, you may save something but you will spend more time checking and possibly cleaning your throttle body and butterfly than OEM filter users....

Regards,
Kaz

NoelWatson
14-06-2009, 05:24 PM
The design of OEM airbox and intake resonance chamber inside the left rear wing is quite special that unless you have modified the engine side, you are more likely to loose the power at certain rpm band based on the dyno data.

Detlef may disagree with you!!

Silver Surfer
14-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I have just installed the Procar Airbox and air scoop. It does feel more resposive across all rev range compare to OEM....the ARC airbox I had tried just sounds louder but not more responsive.

SS