PDA

View Full Version : McLaren F1 - Set To Return

Sudesh
01-04-2009, 08:08 PM
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.ASpx?AR=239198#

McLaren is planning to claw its way back to the very top of the supercar ranks with an extended range of high-performance models, including a hi-tech successor to the legendary F1.

Details of the plans have been outlined to Autocar by a high-ranking official with intimate knowledge of the company’s secret business plan.
Under the direct guidance of McLaren CEO Ron Dennis, who has given up the daily running of the firm’s F1 activities to concentrate on its road car operations, McLaren is aiming to take on low-volume, ultra-high-end manufacturers such as Bugatti and Koenigsegg.
The Woking firm will use its new mid-engined 430 Scuderia and Gallardo LP560-4 rival, the P11, as the springboard for the eventual introduction of a complete range of cutting-edge supercars designed, engineered and produced in the UK.

One of the secret new models McLaren is working on to extend its range beyond the P11 is a successor to the Gordon Murray and Peter Stevens-designed F1, a car that altered the supercar landscape when it was launched back in 1991. It used a 627bhp 6.1-litre V12 engine and had a claimed top speed of 240mph.

“We have just started looking at doing another F1. It is a clean sheet design,” said our McLaren source. Set to challenge the Bugatti Veyron and Koenigsegg CCX, the new F1 is expected to hark back to the original with no-compromise engineering and a price that promises to make it at least as exclusive as its high-end supercar rivals.

McLaren is investing heavily to fulfil its aim. In a recent interview, Dennis announced the company had earmarked £250 million for its supercar programme. And while the early F1 was only ever built in tiny numbers (just 65 of its ‘regular’ examples were sold), McLaren plans volumes to be much higher this time around. “The P11 is just the beginning,” said our insider. “There will be other models in the longer term.”

Sources in Germany suggest that McLaren has come to an understanding with its Formula One partner, Mercedes-Benz, to re-engineer its engines for its upcoming models.
Nothing is official just yet, but Autocar understands that McLaren has struck a deal with Mahle (the former Cosworth operation) to supply unique cylinder heads and other internal components for the Mercedes-Benz AMG-developed M156, the 6.2-litre V8 used across the AMG line-up.

http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/19654/f1-L.jpg

Senninha
01-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I guess with the cap on F1 race cars spending, Ron had to find something to spend his sponsorship money on ....

I think the most interesting part of the article was from the intererview with Gordon Murray ....

"In previous downturns the main barrier to selling has been financial. This time its different. There are going to be environmental, moral and, most of all, legal barriers as well"

He goes on to say...

"There will always be a market for a beautifully engineered, but efficient, collecter's car. But it definately means that cars have to sell on more than just power and performance"

Sounds like a good description of an NSX to me :)

regards, Paul

markc
07-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I saw a camoflaged (zebra striped) P11, on the road between Wentworth and Windlesham a couple of weeks ago. I guess it was travelling between the Woking factory and the Chobham test track?

Hard to tell what it will look like in the raw but it looked a handy size, more NSX than Murcielago.

IMHO a true successor to the F1 will need a V12 rather than a V8.

Cheers

Mark