PDA

View Full Version : Electric window

Lankstarr
24-03-2009, 08:07 AM
There're loads of threads about this on Prime, so much discussion that it's hard to find what you're looking for!

I'm on project window fix at the moment so will try and summarise my findings here. My driver's side window has always been a bit slow going up and gets stuck half way up. You need to just tilt it back into alignment and she keeps on going up, an easy fix but annoying when you use the car every day.

I had the windows tinted on the baby wagon (for UV protection;)) and had the guy take a look. He thinks that one of the plastic guides is missing and that the ball is just flapping around in the runner.

I looked on Prime to get a diagram and part number but whilst doing so it suggested that this is a common fault and that you just need to realign the window (easier said than done apparently!).

I'll document what I find here, but it would be good to know if anyone else has this fault so that I can look into the realignment option more than the missing guide option. I'll also give it a good grease whilst I'm in there - should I get Honda grease or just some high temp grease from Halfrauds?

Thanks,

Luke

Silver Surfer
24-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Sounds like you need the Kaz-meister solution! :)

SS

Lankstarr
24-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Is there a thread for that!?

Probably on his thread of common faults... I'll have a looky later!

Thanks,

Luke

Kaz-kzukNA1
24-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi, Luke.

Window alignment and door glass regulator…. Good luck… It’s at least a few hour job per side….
As you mentioned, there are lots of good information on Prime. Also, there was a technical bulletin from Honda regarding the door window.

The procedure is on the workshop manual but be careful with the gap adjustment. I'll touch on the reason later in this post.

My best advice is to take your time.

As soon as you start adjusting the alignment, you will start to get frustrated as moving one adjuster will change the other side as well. Also, when you tightened the locking washer, it would move the adjuster again if you were not careful.

If you don’t mind spending hours, it is best to remove the window regulator completely out of the door panel and remove the old grease and clean the wire/sliding rail of the regulator assy. Also, take out the 2 guide rails at the front and rear of the door and do the same.

As you know, there is a common issue of window suddenly dropping on early model NSX. While you are at the regulator, check that your housing around the white plastic block is metal and still keeping the square shape. If the box is not made out of the metal or top/bottom section of the box is starting to de-form/open, sooner or later, your window will drop.

Please note that this is not an easy DIY job.

Also, if your regulator is worn out, cleaning/re-greasing the rails won’t fix the slow window speed and you’ll need to replace the entire regulator assy after spending hours…:eek:

If you are working on the window alignment and regulator, it is recommended to replace your upper weatherstrip at the same time. Unless you have a special jig, you need to remove several seals and weatherstrip to adjust the gap between the window glass and the chassis frame. The gap stated in the workshop manual is based on the new weatherstrip so if it is old, you may get wind noise or even water getting inside the cabin at high speed driving after adjusting the alignment to the recommended figure.

It is very important to invest into the high quality grease for the place where you can’t access easily. For example, grease for the clutch release bearing where you can’t access it without removing the gbox. It’s the same for window regulator as you don’t want to take it out regularly and go through the re-alignment procedure.

Although most of the Honda parts are quite expensive, there are several items such as grease, MT oil, Coolant fluid, etc that worth the extra money within the OEM products.
For example, for the high temperature grease, I use the Honda Urea grease (UM264).
Part no. 41211-PY5-305 HUK price: GBP47.01+VAT
This is the one used on the clutch installation and also good for the window regulator/rails.

For any rubber items such as weatherstrip and so on, I recommend using the Honda Shin-Etsu Silicone grease. Part no. 08798-9013 HUK price: GBP7.15+VAT
You can use this when installing the weatherstrip as you need to slide in the top of the weatherstrip into the retainer.
This grease is also very useful to keep the rubber parts fresh. For example, I use it around the door rubber seal and weatherstrip to keep the bounciness. Also, I use it when replacing all the coolant hoses to assist inserting the new one onto the pipe as well as to keep the hose looks tidy.
Hope this will help you.

Regards,
Kaz

Lankstarr
25-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi Kaz,

Thanks for your help.

I've only really got a problem with the driver's side but am slightly worried about doing it myself following your post. I'm no muppet (at DIY anyway) but certainly not as capable as many and maybe therefore not up to the job. I wouldn't like to find this out when my door is in pieces!

It's not teh sort of thing my local Honda garage would eb able to do, maybe Norton Way could have a go but I'd guess a couple of hundred for the privilege if they've got an expert that would be abel to do it in a few hours.

I want to have a go but will seriously think about whether I'm up to it after reading the manual. If it's a matter of time then I'm prepared to spend time on it but I don;t want to go breaking anything and costing myself a fortune in the process!

My car is a 1998 so I think it will have the metal window surround and therefore no worry about the window falling.

Also, hopefully you mean £7 for the grease not £47!?

thanks,

Luke

greenberet
25-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Regarding your local Honda garage not being able to do it: I had my NSX-approved Honda shop align my windows because of some high-speed wind noise and after the alignment, it was still there. I asked them how they carried out the alignment and they didn't remove the upper weatherstrip as kzukNA1 recommended and as the service manual calls for. I aligned the windows myself then and whatever my Honda shop charged me for, the window was out of alignment in every specification in the manual.

Regarding one of the plastic guides being missing: maybe the guy from the window tinting shop is right. When I aligned my windows, I found some strange plastic pieces at the bottom of the door. Unfortunately they didn't magically appear there, those were guides that fell off the regulator. Looking at the parts catalog, it doesn't look like they can be ordered separately. I don't know whether shops that rebuild regulators could replace them or whether you simply have to buy a new regulator. As a result of the missing guides, my window rattles if it's not fully closed and I'm probably getting a hell of a lot of wear where there's metal-to-metal contact. But since I dread taking everything apart and then realigning it again, I just try to avoid opening the window. :)

BabyG
25-03-2009, 11:38 AM
I have experience of HUK absolutely failing to resolve window alignment issues. Both Germany trips have been after getting them adjusted, both had noise coming from the windows at about 80, that got quite annoying around 130..

I'm now going for new seals, and not relying on HUK to fit them. Should do the trick.

Lankstarr
25-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Welcome to NSXCB - thanks for your first post answering my technical query!

I've looked inside the door and ther're no clips or broken bits of plastic. I guess it's possible that the tinter broke the clip on re-install and kept his mouth shut when he found out he couldn't get another one. The window still works but it would be nice to sort this little issue out!

EDIT - you're right about those parts not being available separately - not on SOS or Dali anyway!

If it is that then I'll ask AMo or some other breakers if they have one... maybe Dirk. The allignment issue seems too common for it not to be that but then again I have no air coming in at high speeds so it might be the plastic guide thingy.

Thanks,

Luke

Regarding your local Honda garage not being able to do it: I had my NSX-approved Honda shop align my windows because of some high-speed wind noise and after the alignment, it was still there. I asked them how they carried out the alignment and they didn't remove the upper weatherstrip as kzukNA1 recommended and as the service manual calls for. I aligned the windows myself then and whatever my Honda shop charged me for, the window was out of alignment in every specification in the manual.

Regarding one of the plastic guides being missing: maybe the guy from the window tinting shop is right. When I aligned my windows, I found some strange plastic pieces at the bottom of the door. Unfortunately they didn't magically appear there, those were guides that fell off the regulator. Looking at the parts catalog, it doesn't look like they can be ordered separately. I don't know whether shops that rebuild regulators could replace them or whether you simply have to buy a new regulator. As a result of the missing guides, my window rattles if it's not fully closed and I'm probably getting a hell of a lot of wear where there's metal-to-metal contact. But since I dread taking everything apart and then realigning it again, I just try to avoid opening the window. :)

Lankstarr
25-03-2009, 09:27 PM
I'vw ruled out the missing clip using my wife's make up mirror; I was going to take a pic to try and add something to my own thread but wielding a camera, a torch and a mirror was too complicated!

It looks like I have the (fairly common) problem of misalignment and that this could be fixed with a lot of work. I think I'll put the door card back on for now and rest assured that the window isn't going to give up on me as I thought before. The motor and regulator are good and the window goes up fast enough when it's in straight... it could do with some more grease so may even get faster.

Thanks for everyone's help - I'll order some grease up and ponder when I'll have a go at this once I've seen the diagrams and read the service manual's instructions.

Thanks,

Luke

AR
25-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Luke if it is not a big deal leave it alone, as sometimes some of my most frustrating DIY monets were the elective ones!!!

Lankstarr
25-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Luke if it is not a big deal leave it alone, as sometimes some of my most frustrating DIY monets were the elective ones!!!

It's not that bad TBH... I wouldnt; want to make it worse but it's just one of those things that would be nice to get sorted.

MAybe if I find myself twiddling my thumbs I'll have a go;)

TheSebringOne
25-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Luke, just grease it up properly with the HUK grease that Kaz recommends.

As for twiddling fingers, do you have time these days?! :laugh:

Lankstarr
26-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Also, hopefully you mean £7 for the grease not £47!?

It really is £47 + VAT:eek:

AR
26-03-2009, 05:05 PM
It really is £47 + VAT:eek:

Another I saw you coming moment!!!