PDA

View Full Version : NSX R prices

NSX 2000
23-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Japan's economic gloom

Japan is currently experiencing its most severe recession in over 60 years.

It's recorded its largest ever trade deficit, exports have dropped, unemployment is high, and now as global demand slows, official figures show Japan's industrial output has fallen by a major 10 per cent. It's clear that the world's second biggest economy (and the biggest in Asia) is being hard hit by the financial crisis.

Roland Burke reports for the World Today from Tokyo

I know we have discussed this before but bearing the above in mind what are the prices now for Type r's and s's in Japan?

NSXGB
23-03-2009, 10:36 AM
I would imagine prices are not a lot different considering how strong the Yen is to the pound.

Senninha
23-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Japan's economic gloom............I know we have discussed this before but bearing the above in mind what are the prices now for Type r's and s's in Japan?

So far the advertised pricing hasn't changed as far as I've seen. I would suspect that the dealing values have reduced but have'nt enquired.

Maybe Sudesh can dig around based on his trade contacts?

regards, Paul

AR
23-03-2009, 11:03 AM
I also think that advertised price is not sold price. Some of the prices are just crazy.

Perhaps is me, but I am starting to feel like NSX parts/cars sellers or is that car part sellers are all a bit like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmyGJC5h4DM

Papalazarou
23-03-2009, 11:53 AM
I also think that advertised price is not sold price. Some of the prices are just crazy.

Perhaps is me, but I am starting to feel like NSX parts/cars sellers or is that car part sellers are all a bit like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmyGJC5h4DM

I love that sketch. It would transfer brilliantly to the NSX world. There are few NSX related traders who offer genuine value for money. At best it's laughable, at worse it's offensive.
for example; £1400 per wheel, £400 for a water pump, £108 for a set of plugs, £500 for obscure bits of CF trim and don't get me started on part worn tyres!

Cheers,

James.

NSX 2000
23-03-2009, 12:36 PM
I would imagine prices are not a lot different considering how strong the Yen is to the pound.

True, but I think we were spoilt by the strong pound. When I imported a truck in from the US back in 2001 It was 1 pound to 1.44 dollars and then when I was looking to do it again in about 05/06 it was 1 pound to 1.7 dollars.

The problem is I have never followed the Yen so I don't know what a reasonable exchange rate should be.

NoelWatson
23-03-2009, 01:14 PM
True, but I think we were spoilt by the strong pound. When I imported a truck in from the US back in 2001 It was 1 pound to 1.44 dollars and then when I was looking to do it again in about 05/06 it was 1 pound to 1.7 dollars.

The problem is I have never followed the Yen so I don't know what a reasonable exchange rate should be.

It has averaged 328 since 1971. High was 882 in 71, low 121 in Jan 09 and currently 141

NSXGB
23-03-2009, 02:42 PM
and don't get me started on part worn tyres!

Cheers,

James.

Was that a dig at me James? :think:

NSX 2000
23-03-2009, 02:45 PM
It has averaged 328 since 1971. High was 882 in 71, low 121 in Jan 09 and currently 141

Thanks Noel, but I think we need to take an average from the noughties or nineties. You couldn't really import an NSX type r in 1971.

Paul.

NSXGB
23-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks Noel, but I think we need to take an average from the noughties or nineties. You couldn't really import an NSX type r in 1971.

Paul.

For the noughties you are looking at about 210 to the £.

Sudesh
23-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Unfortunately prices have not shifted on the NSX-R in Japan and as mentioned with the Yen being strong it doesnt help with things.

I have a couple of S2000's and other cars coming in and to be honest there isnt much difference in price to whats availabe in te UK, by the time you pay for everything [SVA, DUTY, VAT, SHIPPING etc etc] Its pretty much the same.

The other probelm is with people being scared of the recession/credit crunch, the first thing to go is usually the car or down grade; and in alot of cases they are being sold for silly money, which in turn is making importing cars more difficult.

Only saving grace on some of the imports is the conditon of the cars, the spec, on the S2000 it has a LSD and more BHP as standard, so it makes the car a bit more sought after, and obviously some of the rare cars you dont get here are still in demand.

However there is to be a change in the SVA in the next month or two and the word is; the "model report" is to be done away with, if this is true it means you can go for later cars and all types! without the worry of spending £1000's on just a model report.

If someone REALLY wanted an NSX-R, then just let me know and I can price one up.

NoelWatson
23-03-2009, 04:40 PM
For the noughties you are looking at about 210 to the £.

Since the turn of the century average is ~194

NoelWatson
23-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Unfortunately prices have not shifted on the NSX-R in Japan and as mentioned with the Yen being strong it doesnt help with things.

I have a couple of S2000's and other cars coming in and to be honest there isnt much difference in price to whats availabe in te UK, by the time you pay for everything [SVA, DUTY, VAT, SHIPPING etc etc] Its pretty much the same.

The other probelm is with people being scared of the recession/credit crunch, the first thing to go is usually the car or down grade; and in alot of cases they are being sold for silly money, which in turn is making importing cars more difficult.

Only saving grace on some of the imports is the conditon of the cars, the spec, on the S2000 it has a LSD and more BHP as standard, so it makes the car a bit more sought after, and obviously some of the rare cars you dont get here are still in demand.

However there is to be a change in the SVA in the next month or two and the word is; the "model report" is to be done away with, if this is true it means you can go for later cars and all types! without the worry of spending £1000's on just a model report.

If someone REALLY wanted an NSX-R, then just let me know and I can price one up.

Would be interested to know what an NA2 Type R is going for (vague estimate/range)

Sudesh
23-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Would be interested to know what an NA2 Type R is going for (vague estimate/range)

Without even contacting the guys in Japan I can tell you now that, there wont be any change from £100k with the car landed back here in the UK and all the duties/costs paid, infact that wouldnt even look at some of the NA2 R's.

simonprelude
23-03-2009, 06:36 PM

S2000 is lower spec in Japan apart from the slightly higher bhp as long as you use 100 Ron fuel.

Sudesh
23-03-2009, 06:47 PM
S2000 is lower spec in Japan apart from the slightly higher bhp as long as you use 100 Ron fuel.

Are they!? What is different Simon? I read the JDM ones have LSD and bit more power, apart from that not really sure what else would be different? The ones I have even have leather. Any more info wold be great Simon.

Kaz-kzukNA1
23-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi all.

Type-R and Type-S are still treated as very special models in Japan so it is very rare to see them on the market even under the current economic climate.

I have been keeping close eye on the price of Type-R for a while and it hasn't changed a lot.

Followings are the example of the price for Type-R currently on the market in Japan.
All the price is based in Japanese YEN before any local/Japanese tax and on top of this, you'll need to pay for the Duty, VAT, Delivery, etc if you want to import it into UK.

The exchange rate is GBP1.00 = JPY135.

02-R: 17,391miles JPY15,300,000 GBP113,333.00
93-R: 14,286miles JPY 8,980,000 GBP 66,519.00
95-R: 10,559miles JPY 8,800,000 GBP 65,185.00
95-R: 16,770miles JPY 8,600,000 GBP 63,704.00
96-R: 20,497miles JPY 8,480,000 GBP 62,815.00
96-R: 13,665miles JPY 8,380,000 GBP 62,074.00
95-R: 46,584miles JPY 6,980,000 GBP 51,704.00

May be, one day....

Regards,
Kaz

NoelWatson
23-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Without even contacting the guys in Japan I can tell you now that, there wont be any change from £100k with the car landed back here in the UK and all the duties/costs paid, infact that wouldnt even look at some of the NA2 R's.

Thanks. Will wake for the FX rate to become more favourable

nationofzeros
23-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Can I just say that as the current owner of a ~40k mile 1994 NA1 NSX-R, this thread has brought me immense pleasure - I can't wait to regale my other half with the news that the -R is actually a fast appreciating gilt edged asset rather than an expensive middle aged Airfix model surrogate

Incidentally the invoice cost new for this one was c. 11m yen so remarkably depreciation proof in its home market and in its home currency

Form an orderly queue with the cash offers please...

Chris

Sudesh
23-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Incidentally the invoice cost new for this one was c. 11m yen so remarkably depreciation proof in its home market and in its home currency

Form an orderly queue with the cash offers please...

Chris

That’s the problem! They only hold there money that well in there own country. In the UK it will be quite difficult to achieve the same. Even a standard NSX hold its money well in Japan.

Silver Surfer
23-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Maybe we should export our car to Japan and sell it there. ;)

SS

markc
23-03-2009, 09:41 PM

Are they!? What is different Simon? I read the JDM ones have LSD and bit more power, apart from that not really sure what else would be different? The ones I have even have leather. Any more info wold be great Simon.

Certainly all S2000's have LSD's and pretty aggressive ones they are too.

You can buy 100 RON fuel here nowadays so unless the fuel map is unable to take advantage of the increased knock/ping/det protection it offers they should make the same power.

Mark

simonprelude
23-03-2009, 11:35 PM
The JDM S2000's have leather as an option (standard is half leather) but they don't come with the same headlights or headlight wash jets, MPH/KPH switching, fog lights and a few other minor things. Nothing major really but enough to make a second hand buyer think twice.

TheSebringOne
24-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Chris, you are one lucky owner! Oh make that one of two NA1 R owners!

I wonder what kind of price the UK NA2 R would command if Fuzilov or brother or who ever the owner is now, was to sell up? Based on the Japanese prices and the only one supplied the UK, I say it would be silly money?

AR
24-03-2009, 12:17 AM
First off I love NSX.

Secondly do you know how silly this thread is???

Chri's NSX is a good example as it has some nice documented mods, However to a non NSX fan R means nothing. They are great cars, no doubt, but other than the badge and R designation, there really is not much in there.

The R will always be a collector's car, but so is the Z102 and the SuperSnipe!!!

Chill, enjoy the R if you are lucky or a "regular" if you have one and don't worry too much about £££. BTW there are cars like Amo's or Mo's that will leave even an NA2 R wayyy behind.

Cheers,

AR

Sudesh
24-03-2009, 12:41 AM
The JDM S2000's have leather as an option (standard is half leather) but they don't come with the same headlights or headlight wash jets, MPH/KPH switching, fog lights and a few other minor things. Nothing major really but enough to make a second hand buyer think twice.

Thanks Simon,

Well mine have full leather, cant tell the difference in the headlights yet and in my opinion, headlight wash [like the NSX] look dreadful and probably one of those things people dont use much anyway. The Cluster on all JDM cars have the MPH/KPH feature, its just disabled on the JDM cars for the Japan market but can be enabled no problem; and like the JDM NSX, rear fog wont be an issue!

Ewan
24-03-2009, 06:56 AM
There are some other cosmetic differences, in the early S2000s at least - the badge on the wings just says "S2000" in Japan, but "HONDA S2000" in the UK... that and the lack of headlamp wash gives an early sign to those in the know that the car's an import.

The "more power in Japan" argument, I think, stems from the fact that Honda originally said the S2000 was a 240bhp car, but when it arrived over here, HUK declared it 237bhp. It's the same motor.

There was a JDM type-V with variable gear ratio steering and a few other tweaks (including the first instance I'd seen of a flat bottomed steering wheel, that Audi has made somehow desirable) - http://world.honda.com/news/2000/printerfriendly/4000707.html

Frankly, horrid :)

NSX 2000
24-03-2009, 10:51 AM
First off I love NSX.

Secondly do you know how silly this thread is???Cheers,

AR

Hi Ary

As with all threads this has gone off on a few tangents. The point and question I was asking/wanting to discuss is if the Japanese economy is allegedly on its knees then the cost of NSX type r's will have come down in asking price, but as Kaz has posted this seems not to be the case.

Paul.

Sudesh
24-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Its not just the R version but all NSX's in Japan hold there money very well and as already mentioned the economy has not affected the values of those cars, [not yet anyway] To give you an idea, a very nice standard 1991, Manual car with 22,000miles will cost around £30,000 and that’s before shipping/Customs Duty and VAT and other small fees!

NSXGB
24-03-2009, 11:17 AM
.....I think that if the exchange rate went back to 882, there will be a few UK orders winging their way across to Japan....

AR
24-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi Ary

As with all threads this has gone off on a few tangents. The point and question I was asking/wanting to discuss is if the Japanese economy is allegedly on its knees then the cost of NSX type r's will have come down in asking price, but as Kaz has posted this seems not to be the case.

Paul.

Paul,

I did not mean to say that you or any of the posters ( including myself ) were silly. As you said most threads go off topic quite and that is not so bad either, at least we all are communicating.

My point is that as soon as you step out of any particular type of car you can realize how obsessive we can get regarding our passion.

Cheers,

Ary

NSX 2000
24-03-2009, 12:42 PM
My point is that as soon as you step out of any particular type of car you can realize how obsessive we can get regarding our passion.

Cheers,

Ary

Too true Ary too true.

Lankstarr
24-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Its not just the R version but all NSX's in Japan hold there money very well and as already mentioned the economy has not affected the values of those cars, [not yet anyway] To give you an idea, a very nice standard 1991, Manual car with 22,000miles will cost around £30,000 and that’s before shipping/Customs Duty and VAT and other small fees!

wow that is very interesting - it would fetch 20 - 22 over here maybe more being so mint but that gives an idea of hgow much more they are over there. Apply a 50% reduction to those type R prices before shipping etc prices and it may be a more realistic benchmark for a car over here.

I regret not buying the type R in Scotland as it was only £25k... I could hav had it resprayed to white and absolutely mint for £30k.

But then my car has done me well and I couldn't justify the move from a known quantity to something that might cost me a fortune if it had inherent problems. I maintain that you;d get every penny back and more if you resprayed your R to white Chris... well, what are you waiting for?

L*

nationofzeros
24-03-2009, 09:02 PM
I've thought about moving to the iconic white / black roof, and even black roofing with the current overall green, but as my sensei AR gently reminded me, it originally came in green / green straight from the Tochigi factory, as specified in its build sheets, and karma dictates that it should remain that way in perpetuity.

In fact to reinforce this, I've just treated both ends to yet more lashings of green as the paint was fading differentially on the bumpers.

However I have sprayed the rear diffuser black, so at least there is one small part of the car that isn't grass coloured...

Chris

Senninha
24-03-2009, 10:57 PM
I've thought about moving to the iconic white / black roof, and even black roofing with the current overall green, .............
Chris

If you fancy the change but wish to protect the originality of that special NSX-R, have you considered having it wrapped?

http://www.totally-dynamic.co.uk/go/home

This is just one I found but I'm sure there are many to choose from.

regards, Paul

AR
25-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Chris good choice staying Green. Despite what others might think ( read Luke LOL ) Green is a fantastic colour and it makes your R even more special.

Paul have you any idea how much them wraps are?

Senninha
25-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Paul have you any idea how much them wraps are?

I'd guess that a full color change to white / black would be ITR of £1500 inc door shuts.

Anyone fancy an 02 replica based on a 91 coupe?

http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU0003452869/index.html

When you look at how many parts it has its not bad value ... until you start adding all the duty, transport etc :angry:

AR
25-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Paul is that nearly 4 million yen?

Some nice bits on it but still a llot of money on the road in the UK.

dan the man
26-03-2009, 03:14 PM
KEEP HER GREEN. she is what she is... and great for it :)

Sudesh
26-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Paul is that nearly 4 million yen?

Some nice bits on it but still a llot of money on the road in the UK.

That car landed back in the UK and on the road would be around £37k give or take. That car has also been for sale a while.

Sudesh
02-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm off to Japan next week, so if anyone is interested in an NSX-R then let me know.

NSXGB
02-04-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm off to Japan next week, so if anyone is interested in an NSX-R then let me know.

Yeah, I'll have one please.

Senninha
02-04-2009, 01:58 PM

No Thanx, however, I would be interested if you can get some real world prices for Type S seats/runners black on black :), rather than the inflated Prime prices!!

Have a good trip

regards, Paul

Yokohama_91
03-04-2009, 08:36 AM

Sudesh

If you are in the Yokohama/Tokyo area next week area give me a call, it would be good to meet up.

Don't hold you breath for a cheap Type R!

Simon