PDA

View Full Version : Sat nav / cd system

Greybloke
05-07-2005, 10:38 PM
OK so I'm contemplating a sat nav / cd system to mount in the dash to link with a changer in the boot. This will replace the original radio / tape.

Anyone done this, if so what system would you reccomend, and will I need to replace the fascia etc? Sorry if I'm a bit vague but I'm a newbie :lol:

Oh BTW I dont think I'll tackle this on my own, unless it's very easy :D

glenlewis
06-07-2005, 08:32 AM
I had a facia re-made with the bottom stereo part blanked and a few other toys added to the ashtray, a starter button and av inputs.
Its a complete w@nker of a job according to my installer but if you need any help then give me a shout and I can ask him :)

You cannot fit new stereo systems to that facia im afraid.
ctrlaltdelete boy did a group buy on replacement facias but I didnt go for that as i think dali's service is rubbish, though the product and the group buy went smoothly if very slowly ;)

My advice is dump all the oem gear, its heavy and crap, you have 2 subs, huge door speakers and a clunking pair of head units. Door speakers are easy I did mine, bit of MDF and I fitted 6.5"'s with tweeters. I would recommend a new amp for your head unit and perhaps a new sub for the center, though I had 5.1 dolby digital fitted for DVD.

Any help I can give you let me know :)

Good luck with your new car, you did me a huge favour not coming to look at mine... what the hell was I thinking of trying to sell it ???? !!!!!!

Kind regards,

Glen

Greybloke
06-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Good luck with your new car, you did me a huge favour not coming to look at mine... what the hell was I thinking of trying to sell it ???? !!!!!!

:lol: I knew you wanted to keep it :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the info, need's afair bit of planning I think :shock:

Cheers
Nick

ctrlaltdelboy
06-07-2005, 07:18 PM
if you are VERY quick you might be able to oder up one of the remaining few cf centre consoles (as seen here) (http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1651) from Dali and get it shipped over with my latest order which was confirmed this afternoon.

if Mark has not yet shipped it out he may be able to wrap one up for you and slip it in the box - we can arrange getting it from me to you once it arrives here.

you can still order one from Mark to be shipped to you directly though even if you miss my shipment.

there can't be very many of these left cos I know Mark only had 10 made, we had 6 in the GB and I think a couple went to Oz too.

glenlewis
06-07-2005, 07:47 PM
[quote=glenlewis]

:lol: I knew you wanted to keep it :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick,

Im hopeless at selling my cars, I did it with the Skyline before when selling that - told every caller the cam belt needed doing and the front splitter needed respraying - putting people off but then some guy flew in from Sweden and offered my asking price in £50 notes - couldn't refuse.
When you called I dwelled on the minor inpefections - I didn't really want to sell :)

What did you get in the end mate, post up some pictures of your new ride Nick, be interested to see it. If you need any advice on the multimedia install give me a call if I can help, I'd be glad to :)

Enjoy the NSX

Glen

tommy
06-07-2005, 10:11 PM
have a look on....science of speed website, they do centre consoles for after market systems, and a lot of other goodies for the nsx

Greybloke
06-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Darren, thanks for the offer, but I dont want to rush this. I need to decide on the system, and then decide how to accommodate in the car. This may well necessitate a new console, but is it not posible to mod the original to accomodate a new standard din head unit?

Tommy, thanks that's a nice site, could be tempted to spend a few bucks :lol:

ctrlaltdelboy
07-07-2005, 06:58 AM
have a look on....science of speed website, they do centre consoles for after market systems, and a lot of other goodies for the nsx

just remember that a LHD version will not be much use!

Paul
15-07-2005, 08:35 PM
OK so I'm contemplating a sat nav / cd system to mount in the dash to link with a changer in the boot. This will replace the original radio / tape.

Anyone done this, if so what system would you reccomend, and will I need to replace the fascia etc? Sorry if I'm a bit vague but I'm a newbie :lol:

Oh BTW I dont think I'll tackle this on my own, unless it's very easy :D I have had my CF console fitted and have had a standard DIN slot cut into it. I've had an Apline touchscreen system fitted, this has the ability to connect to an iPod as well as a CD player, Sat Nav system, etc.

However, there is nothing to fix the switches back on, so they have to be stuck/taped into place. I will soon be taking my original console to the place that cut the DIN slot into my CF console and see if they can produce a replica of the original, but with just a single DIN slot cut into it where the original twin slots were cut for the factory fit stereo. They do all sorts of car/vehicle services, alarms, re-trims, audio/video installs, tinted windows, etc. etc. etc.

If anyone is interested in details of what they can do, let me know and I'll keep you informed.

I for one want my cigarette lighter back, it's just sooo useful. Like lots of things, you only miss it when it's gone!