PDA

View Full Version : Living in the vtec

Senninha
15-03-2009, 07:18 PM
So having checked the forecast last night, and nipped out to check the lights and levels, the alarm was set for an early start.

As the early sun rose though the tree tops, I steadily set off for my super loop. This little run takes in primarily B-roads of good visibility, broken up by small villages that allow you to catch your breadth and cool the car a little, with a nice quick A-road to finish.

The first 4 or 5 miles are dual carraigeway which gives the car plenty of time to get everything warmed up. As I slip onto the first of the b roads it is surprisingly busy! Not to worry, its simply folk heading to set up thier wallpaper tables in a field so I'm soon on my way.

From now on, with the exception of the cooling pass through the villages, we're in the vtec zone for most of the 143 mile trip, making 2nd and 3rd gears pull deep into the 8k, just occasionally nipping into 4th for the really open bits and more mph than is usual ;)

As I kick into the homeward half of the loop, the tarmac has now fully dried out and gone is the early shimmy from the rear tyres as they work overtime to put down 301 Honda horses!

Through the last main village, its now onto the fast wide a-road that as usual is home to many bikers who have taken advantage of this most beautiful of mornings. A couple of blades and an R6 sharer the road for a few miles, each of us giving space to the other to enjoy a truly fabulous exchange of exhaust notes. As we approach the next town we head in different directions, but not before a friendly wave and one of the blades pops a wheelie! Now with 2/3rds complete, roof off and this is why I love this car!

The final few miles are in cruise mode to let everything cool down. I even take time to pull over for a few fresh photos. As I pull into the garage its now 8.48am, a little over 2hrs 20 mins since I left home :D ... I'll let you do the sums

With so much doom and gloom all around, mornings like these are just what the NSX doctor ordered. I've been bouncing around like Tigger all day, we've all been out enjoying the sunshine, I'm fired up for work in the morning and would seriously encourage anyone who has yet to blow the cobwebs of their cam covers, to go visit the vtec zone ... your NSX will love you for it!

regards, Paul

PS ... its good way of avoiding a splat in the thread of shame!

Sudesh
15-03-2009, 07:46 PM
That was a great read!! :)

Reminds me of a road trip I took last year in the summer in my NSX. Just done the same, woke up, weather was amazing and decided to take a journey with nothing more than myself and the NSX, went from North of Ireland into the South and back again to the North!

AR
15-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi paul great read! I am lucky that I have one of them roads just at my front gates. It is like a "ring of sorts, suffice it to say that quiter a few cars gop over the bends in a year! I have a smal circuit that takes me from my B road to the A road and nack. Great antideppresant!

sassthathoopie
15-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Noel and I went on the PH south coast run today. The route was excellent and reasonably clear considering the start time of 10:30. Over 100 proper petrolhead vehicles including 2 Vipers, and a Murcielago roadster all parked up overlooking the Solent in bright sunshine.

I was in high speed convoy with a 3.2 Carrera and a 996 C4 with GT3 kit - and yes the VTEC zone was definitely in use :D

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=115&t=663220&mid=63034&nmt=Scone%20Run%20Picture%20Thread%2015%20March

TheSebringOne
15-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Excellant write up! It has a certain Evo mag equality to it. :thumbsup:

Just been on a quick blast at 10.45 PM (quiet roads & full beam time) on my fave back roads, VTEC as much as possible & arrived home feeling like I've blown away some cobwebs away. Had a feel of the disc brakes, which were a tad hot & tyres very warm! Spring is upon us & the misfire seems to have been banished! :)

Looks like a great PH meet!

markc
16-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Shame on you Paul, taking a car journey for no practical reason whatsoever! A total waste of valuable natural resources and all that polution you created to boot... haven't you heard of global warming ;) (Just in case, I am joking by the way)

Nice idea and nice write up. if I'd been here (in the UK) I might have done the same given the weekend weather :)

I started a thread on the "Off Topic" forum regarding a government proposal to outlaw exactly this activity... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?p=55583#post55583

Cheers

Mark

AR
16-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Mark I dont think that would really happened the road in front of my house is 60 MPH and a certain company that is located nearby test drives R8, Gallardos and the rest at well over a ton. Motorbikers go well in excess of twice the speed limit. Want to top it all, Police also use the road to test their skills as if it was a closed circuit!!!

AR
16-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Paul should we sart calling you Maverick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1a_ikfUico

Highway to the VTEC Zone!!!

markc
16-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Mark I dont think that would really happened the road in front of my house is 60 MPH and a certain company that is located nearby test drives R8, Gallardos and the rest at well over a ton. Motorbikers go well in excess of twice the speed limit. Want to top it all, Police also use the road to test their skills as if it was a closed circuit!!!

The proposal calls for enforcement by average speed cameras though, that will stop them. After the first time anyway.

Mark

Senninha
16-03-2009, 06:46 PM
A total waste of valuable natural resources and all that polution you created to boot... haven't you heard of global warming ;)

Well if its any consolation for the greenies I let the train take the strain today whilst Honda's finest rested and cooled from all the fun!
It was a far better experience than yesterday as I had some g1ts smelly armpit to contend with as we all waited on a late running train with the heating still set for December weather :angry:

The proposal calls for enforcement by average speed cameras though, that will stop them

As Simon points out in your other thread, dont these things need to be able to read something usually found at the front of a car (being a biker I display mine at the rear :D)

the road in front of my house is 60 MPH and Police also use the road to test their skills as if it was a closed circuit!!!

Well as they lead by example, I suggest we all get down to yours and give chase!!

regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
16-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Other possible problems is the powering of these cameras in rural areas as the nearest power source could be quite a distance away!? :rolleyes: Wonder if some of these cameras will be used as artist objects by some of our more artistic drivers! :D

AR
16-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Well as they lead by example, I suggest we all get down to yours and give chase!!

regards, Paul

FVCK the POPO In my best Westwood impersonating accent!

dan the man
22-03-2009, 10:38 PM
excellent fella. i miss that feeling....