PDA

View Full Version : More Ponies and Less Weight!

NSX 2000
26-02-2009, 10:05 PM
As I can't seem to post in the orignal thread [ http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4978 ] I'm starting a new thread!

Paul do we have any news on these yet?

Paul.

Senninha
26-02-2009, 11:25 PM
As I can't seem to post in the orignal thread [ http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4978 ] I'm starting a new thread!

Paul do we have any news on these yet?

Paul.

This will be bacause its in a for sale section that requires moderator approval (I think)

Anyway, with the recent d**i debate I pm'd Brian earlier this week and suggested that we were getting nervous about the time its taking to recieve these. This is the response I recieved on Weds eve

I have to get a box for them and I will ship them out. I saw the dali thread and I understand their concern. I am definitely not Dali. It has taken forever and I haven't forgotten you guys. I've been in the process of moving so its difficult to do everything. I promise to give u a final shipping date by the end of this week once I get settled into my new location. Please let them know Im grateful for their patience. If it lags even longer I will ship them individually if I have to to get them all out to you guys. Thanks again Paul!

Brian

In addition I have been in touch with a few Primers I know and they all vouch for Brian but do admit that he can be slow as usually takes on too much work. However they did all say that workmanship is top grade, so sounds as though the wait will have been worth it.

regards, Paul

NoelWatson
27-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks for update

forumadmin
27-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Since the introduction of the Marketplace system, it is not used as a forum anymore. So posts made to it won't show.

Maybe we will have a group buy section instead, if we are ever brave enough to do them again.

NSX 2000
27-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Thats good news Paul. Because of our conversation the other week I'm getting quite excited about these.

NoelWatson
27-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Thats good news Paul. Because of our conversation the other week I'm getting quite excited about these.

Don't be such a tease!!

NoelWatson
02-03-2009, 08:50 AM
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=133&t=653958&mid=31217&nmt=Vmax%20Adrenaline%20-%20the%20renaissance

There is another VMax event in a couple of months, so it will be great to have the extra horses by then. Not sure if our cars will break noise laws with them fitted.

DAVEMAT
26-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Any recent updates on these Paul?

Senninha
26-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Here you go...

Paul,
Sorry, I've been trying to catch up with work here. It's leaving today. Let the guys know I'm paying for shipping and shipping 2 sets in each box to cut down overall cost. I'll get you the shipping info no later then tomorrow!!
Brian

So I'll let you know if I get the info :)

DAVEMAT
28-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Nice 1, got my new headers waiting for these.

NSX 2000
07-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Here you go...

So I'll let you know if I get the info :)

Hi Paul

Sorry to pester you but any more news on these????

Paul.

Minch
08-04-2009, 07:05 AM
I feel like I'm missing out :), what have you guys bought?

Senninha
08-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Hi Paul

Sorry to pester you but any more news on these????

Paul.

Paul and All,

I had this from Brain overnight ....

I had problems with my logistics guy cause he was charging more then what he promised me. I had to pick up the cats from him to just ship it USPS. I will hit you up tomorrow with a tracking #. It's been terrible trying to get these cats to you. I'll be sending 2 sets in each box at a time. I will give you more info tomorrow. I promise!
Brian

So I hope to have more news before the week is out.

Nathan, these are high flow cats to compliment the various header/zorst combo's as well as reducing rear end weight :)

There is potentially a spare set for a 3.2 subject to the sale of a particular NSX. If you have 02 headers they may well fit?

regards, Paul

Minch
08-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Hi Paul,

Pretty sure mine are based on the 3.0 :( . . . one thing I need to check out is what year cats are required from for MOT purposes and whether my car fits into the category that doesn't need them. My car is a 'K' plate so might just be OK. If so, good by cats :)

Minch
08-04-2009, 10:02 AM
. . . . bummer :(

"If your car was fitted after 1st August 1992 with a catalytic converter from new, you need to have one for the MoT. It needs to be in good working order to comply with the Government's emissions legislation. The engine has been designed to work with a Cat and besides giving out toxic emissions, the performance will be reduced if your Cat is not working properly. You will fail the annual MoT if you either it is not present or it is not in good working order. "

NSXGB
08-04-2009, 10:29 AM
. . . Or you need an understanding MOT inspector. . .

"If your car was fitted after 1st August 1992 with a catalytic converter from new, you need to have one for the MoT. It needs to be in good working order to comply with the Government's emissions legislation. The engine has been designed to work with a Cat and besides giving out toxic emissions, the performance will be reduced if your Cat is not working properly. You will fail the annual MoT if you either it is not present or it is not in good working order. "

simonprelude
08-04-2009, 10:35 AM

These are sports cats so will still pass the MOT.

I thought the rules had been changed since emission testing started and the CAT check was no longer a requirement, just the need to pass emissions checks.

markc
08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
There is potentially a spare set for a 3.2 subject to the sale of a particular NSX. If you have 02 headers they may well fit?

regards, Paul

Hi Paul, I guess that's Simon's set, I'll take them if P27 sells.

Simon, if you want to take delivery and give them a try I'll take them off your hands further down the line. Unless you see sense and decide to keep P27 :)

Can't let S2 get even further ahead in the power stakes ;)

Cheers

Mark

Hagasan
08-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Paul and All,

I had this from Brain overnight ....

So I hope to have more news before the week is out.

Nathan, these are high flow cats to compliment the various header/zorst combo's as well as reducing rear end weight :)

regards, Paul

Maybe interested if no takers and they will fit my set-up.

Thanks,

Gary

Senninha
10-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi Guys,

So I recieved the following info from Brian today so we are on the way. I dont know which sets are in the first shipment so it will like Xmas for two of us.

Here is the tracking # for the first 2 sets. The other 2 will be coming shortly. It's crazy how much they are charging for shipping these days! http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif
USPS #CP074896165US

It will arrive 6 to 10 days. It is also insured as well and was sent to Paul's address. So look out for it. Thanks again Paul. Please let them know everyone will be getting theirs shortly. You guys have been patient and handling everything with class. Thanks again for helping the UK guys and me out.

Brian

However, it is good news for all of us anyway. Why is this you ask? Due to the delays we have experienced and the way positive way all has been handled, we will not be charged for the shipping of these to the UK. I had agreed this a while back but didn't mention in case the poition changed. IMO this is a very professional response from Brian in acknowledgement of our patience.

So happy Easter everyone, and maybe, just maybe, Paul may add a little extra good news once these babaies have arrived ;)

regards, Paul

DAVEMAT
14-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Any further info on these Paul?

Cheers
Dave

Lankstarr
14-04-2009, 07:27 PM
I feel like I'm missing out :), what have you guys bought?

You're not missing out mate... get some straight pipes customised and swap them in and out for MOT; only takes half an hour.

:D:D:D

TheQuietOne
14-04-2009, 07:33 PM
This is the latest - see a few posts earlier for Paul's version! :D

Hi Guys,

So I recieved the following info from Brian today so we are on the way. I dont know which sets are in the first shipment so it will like Xmas for two of us.

Quote:
Here is the tracking # for the first 2 sets. The other 2 will be coming shortly. It's crazy how much they are charging for shipping these days! http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif
USPS #CP074896165US

It will arrive 6 to 10 days. It is also insured as well and was sent to Paul's address. So look out for it. Thanks again Paul. Please let them know everyone will be getting theirs shortly. You guys have been patient and handling everything with class. Thanks again for helping the UK guys and me out.

Brian
However, it is good news for all of us anyway. Why is this you ask? Due to the delays we have experienced and the way positive way all has been handled, we will not be charged for the shipping of these to the UK. I had agreed this a while back but didn't mention in case the poition changed. IMO this is a very professional response from Brian in acknowledgement of our patience.

So happy Easter everyone, and maybe, just maybe, Paul may add a little extra good news once these babaies have arrived ;)

regards, Paul

NoelWatson
14-04-2009, 07:57 PM
This will be very tight to get them fitted in time for VMax on the 26th!!

AR
14-04-2009, 08:33 PM
You're not missing out mate... get some straight pipes customised and swap them in and out for MOT; only takes half an hour.

:D:D:D

For defo, what else can I say!!!

mutley
14-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Ary, neet to take you up on that offer of using your facilities, i'm fed up tripping over your old exhaust.

PS MoT is done so I have a year to worry about it.

Jim

NSX 2000
14-04-2009, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=TheQuietOne;56751]This is the latest - see a few posts earlier for Paul's version! :D

MATT, I'VE SENT YOU PM VERY URGENT!

PS sorry for calling you James pm sent in a hurry!

Senninha
14-04-2009, 09:17 PM
This is the latest - see a few posts earlier for Paul's version! :D

Thanx Matt,

Sorry guys, I originally posted the news from Brian in the original thread :rolleyes:

Anyway, they should start landing in the next few days so expect a call from Paul (NSX 2000) soon!

Noel,

If theres a set for the 02's then you need to sort with Paul who gets them for the vmax :)

regards, Paul

TheQuietOne
14-04-2009, 09:31 PM
[quote=thequietone;56751]this is the latest - see a few posts earlier for paul's version! :d

matt, i've sent you pm very urgent!

Ps sorry for calling you james pm sent in a hurry!

walter, no problem mi5 secret head quarters address name removed.

NSX 2000
14-04-2009, 09:39 PM
[quote=nsx 2000;56773]

walter, no problem mi5 secret head quarters address name removed.

Thanks a lot Matt, I get very paranoid about these things.

cheers Paul.

PS next thing you know poeple find out I wear pink shirts ;)

PPS Thanks Paul as well ;)

Senninha
14-04-2009, 09:43 PM
No problem, just keep an eye out for them there chimneys ;)

NSX 2000
16-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Just put in the tracking no to USPS and got this reply

Label/Receipt Number: CP07 4896 165U S

Your item is being processed by customs in GREAT BRITAIN. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

So they are in the country, just need them to clear customs.

Senninha
16-04-2009, 02:10 PM

I wonder who will be the first recipients??????

mutley
16-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Just put in the tracking no to USPS and got this reply

Label/Receipt Number: CP07 4896 165U S

Your item is being processed by customs in GREAT BRITAIN. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

The last item I tracked from the US, I received the same message. 2 days later I was a bit concerned when the tracker sad " attemped to deliver on xx date" and they never, I was a little worried. The followong day I received a letter from Parcel Force saying they had the item and as soon as I paid the customs fee to them they would deliver.
.......... so expect a letter!!

HTH
Jim

NSX 2000
24-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Just off to my local Parcel Force depot to collect a parcel.

I wonder what it could be!!!!!!!!!!

NSX 2000
24-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I now have 4 bright shiny things in a box, how do a tell which is for what car?

Senninha
24-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I now have 4 bright shiny things in a box, how do a tell which is for what car?

I'll check with Brian but beleive thes are for pre02 3.2

Have these 'chimneys' incurred any additional costs during delivery?

regards, Paul

NSX 2000
24-04-2009, 03:20 PM
I'll check with Brian but beleive thes are for pre02 3.2

Have these 'chimneys' incurred any additional costs during delivery?

regards, Paul

Import Duty £9.67
Excise Duty N/A
VAT £55.20
Other N/A
Parcelforce Handling fee £8.00

Total £72.87

The above is the cost so far but I need to see what I can claim back.

As I see it then

1. Senninha (Paul) .... OBDII NA2 .... ordered 2" fitment
2. Nuno (NSXPrime) .... OBDI NA1 .... ordered
3. Noel Watson .... OBDII NA2 .... ordered
4. simonprelude .... OBDII NA2 (1997) .... ordered 2" fitment
5. NSX 2000 (Paul) .... OBDII NA2 .... ordered
6. DaveMat.....OBDII.... ordered

we are due 1 91-94, 3 95-00 and 2 01-05

So reckon it's the the 2 01-05 cats in the box.

Hagasan
24-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Import Duty £9.67
Excise Duty N/A
VAT £55.20
Other N/A
Parcelforce Handling fee £8.00

Total £72.87

The above is the cost so far but I need to see what I can claim back.

As I see it then

1. Senninha (Paul) .... OBDII NA2 .... ordered 2" fitment
2. Nuno (NSXPrime) .... OBDI NA1 .... ordered
3. Noel Watson .... OBDII NA2 .... ordered
4. simonprelude .... OBDII NA2 (1997) .... ordered 2" fitment
5. NSX 2000 (Paul) .... OBDII NA2 .... ordered
6. DaveMat.....OBDII.... ordered

we are due 1 91-94, 3 95-00 and 2 01-05

So reckon it's the the 2 01-05 cats in the box.

I'm almost certain that the OBDII cats are different between a 97-00/01 car and an 02+ car. This is why the 3.2 version headers are different over the years also...

I think Paul may have mentioned this on Prime to Brian....

You'll see in the picture attached....

Silver Surfer
24-04-2009, 05:25 PM
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5363&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1240592927 (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5363&d=1240592927)

The ones on the left are the later (newer) model, the shiny ones on the right are the earlier model. ;)

SS

Hagasan
24-04-2009, 05:29 PM
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5363&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1240592927 (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5363&d=1240592927)

The ones on the left are the later (newer) model, the shiny ones on the right are the earlier model. ;)

SS

Yep I know.....it's just that Paul (NSX2000) has an 05 car and I think the later ones haven't been made yet so although Paul took delivery his won't be in the box!! :angry::angry: Paul (Finch) should be able to confirm or correct my comments...

Senninha
24-04-2009, 10:26 PM
The two sets received today are for 95-01 cars.

The remaining 3 sets are 1 x 95-01 and 2 x 02+ sets, all of which should be shipping after the bank holiday

Not long now. Noel, I know how keen you were to get these on for the top end runs! At least you can compare b4 after top speed runs and impact of the cats on the rest of your mods

regards, Paul

Senninha
26-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Dave,

PM me your address and I'll check out onward shipping costs. Alternatively, I'll bring to Japfest (though I think you may not be there from memory :()

regards, Paul

NoelWatson
30-04-2009, 07:14 AM

The remaining 3 sets are 1 x 95-01 and 2 x 02+ sets, all of which should be shipping after the bank holiday

Not long now. Noel, I know how keen you were to get these on for the top end runs! At least you can compare b4 after top speed runs and impact of the cats on the rest of your mods

regards, Paul

Paul,

Thankyou for being so persistent with the chasing. I've been reading the Prime thread

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106549&page=5&highlight=flow+cats

and can't believe it was almost a year ago we started talking about this. I'm hoping we can overcome the small problem of

"The single 02+ order will be last. "

and then we can arrange another TDI morning to see what the numbers are.

NSX 2000
19-05-2009, 04:25 PM

regards, Paul

Hi Paul

Forgot to ask about this at Japfest, any news? I'm starting to feel like we have been Dail'ed :(

Paul,

Senninha
20-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi Paul

Forgot to ask about this at Japfest, any news? I'm starting to feel like we have been Dail'ed :(

Paul,

They (the 02's) are in production. I asked Brian to send remaining 3 sets in one package

Will update when I get more or I force an update from him

markc
21-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi Paul,

Any e.t.a on the '95-'01's in the single package?

Cheers

Mark

Minch
21-05-2009, 08:16 PM
*****side note*****

Just bought £1,500 worth of kit from Dali . . . delivered no problem . . . not a hitch and very good communication!!!

Senninha
21-05-2009, 09:18 PM
*****side note*****

Just bought £1,500 worth of kit from Dali . . . delivered no problem . . . not a hitch and very good communication!!!

Must have got out the right side of bed ... strange man.

mutley
21-05-2009, 09:26 PM
*****side note*****

As we know , he can be hit or miss. Your were lucky and got a hit (and I have said previously i had little probs) but not the same story for other members.

Anyhoo I think this subjuct has been done to death.

Jim

Senninha
01-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Latest from Brian guys...

Paul,
Looking to have it completed this week for sure. Thank you for correcting the order for me. I will hit you up later this week for final shipping date and eta of the cats.
Brian

regards, Paul

markc
12-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Any further update Paul?

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
15-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Any further update Paul?

Cheers

Mark

Pm'd Brian and had this response ....

Paul,

Almost done with them. I'm just having some difficulties with my fabricator but it's being worked out. I have the 95+ style completed and in the box. The 02+ ones should be done very soon. Please let the guys know that it will be there for sure and soon!! PM me if you have any more questions. I wanted to make sure the 02+ cats run well without any problems. They have perfect fitment so you guys should be happy with them.
Brian

regards, Paul

Senninha
03-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Gents,

JUst copied this from the threrad on Prime .....

We got behind a bit. Our fabricator moved facilites slowing our production we will be finishing up all work next week. PM me for updates or questions! Thanks guys. Sorry for any delays. Working as fast as we can!

I've pm'd (again) to try and get accurate ETA

Apologies for the delay ....

regards, Paul

NoelWatson
03-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Gents,

JUst copied this from the threrad on Prime .....

I've pm'd (again) to try and get accurate ETA

Apologies for the delay ....

regards, Paul

Thanks for doggedly pursuing it. Interesting that these have a longer gestation period than a human!!

AR
03-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for doggedly pursuing it. Interesting that these have a longer gestation period than a human!!

Try getting a Route KS Kit!!! Elephant gestation not uncommon with NSX parts.

Senninha
07-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Guys,

I've posted this on Prime this morning and will advise of the response ....

Brian,

Monthly BUMP!!!!!!!!

What is happenning with these Brian???

I have 3 really good friends with parts out-standing. I have my set in the shop but I wont fit them as its not fair to the other guys.

PLEASE ... make these your priority. It really doesn't help seeing you working on other projects when these are still outstanding.

I really have been so tollerant to all the next week / 2 weeks / moving shop / suppliers delays and simply want the items we've paid you for.

So please, close off these orders and get the guys their parts shipped before they miss another summers driving.

regards, Paul

My apologies for the delays, I really am quite fed up with this lack of service from over the pond .... :rolleyes:

regards, Paul

NSX 2000
07-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Guys,

I've posted this on Prime this morning and will advise of the response ....

My apologies for the delays, I really am quite fed up with this lack of service from over the pond .... :rolleyes:

regards, Paul

Very spooky, I was going to ask today about any news.

Where in the US is he bassed, as we could always send Gary (Hagasan) around to his place when he is in the US later this month ;)

Paul.

AR
07-08-2009, 02:28 PM
What is it with US vendors and UK guys! i am sure there is no malice on his part, but 4500 miles distance should not equal backburner!

Senninha
07-08-2009, 06:58 PM
And Brians swift response ...

I understand Paul,

I'm on top of them It will be shipped out soon! Sorry again for taking so long. It will be there asap.

This I promise!

Regards, Paul

AR
07-08-2009, 07:29 PM
If I had a nickel for everytime a vendor promise a part would be with me on time...Actually I'll take one BHP instead!

Hagasan
07-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Very spooky, I was going to ask today about any news.

Where in the US is he bassed, as we could always send Gary (Hagasan) around to his place when he is in the US later this month ;)

Paul.

Yeah OK!!

I tentatively enquired with him a couple of months ago about possibly ordering a set to pick up while in the states (getting them delivered to my friend first) but after all this hassle I'm giving it a miss. Sometimes I think it's only businesses in the UK that take the piss but this guy seems to want the baton from Mark Johnson and never give it away....

NSX 2000
01-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Guys,

regards, Paul

Sorry to bring this up but he/they have had our money for over a year now:angry: I feel like we're being taken for mugs, I know we drink tea but this is really taking the p1ss:angry::angry:

Where in the US are they/he based.

Paul

Senninha
02-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Paul,

Use this link to the Prime thread to see my latest post which includes your thoughts ...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1216760#post1216760

regards, Paul :embarassed:

Senninha
02-09-2009, 07:42 AM
And recieved this within half hour of my post on Prime ...

Trying to finish them up for you right now. 2 are done and ready to ship. The last one we are having some problems with and its holding me up! I'm really upset with myself for not meeting the deadline because I planned everything out to be completed 4 days ago! The cats are the only I am focused on and I don't want to upset you guys anymore! I will come through! Please hang in there they will come out nice. Thanks again Paul!

NSX 2000
02-09-2009, 09:27 AM
PLEASE HANG IN THERE!!!!!

I'VE BEEN HANGING SO FCUKING LONG MY ARMS ARE NOW 8 FEET LONG :angry::angry:

And take a deep breath :eek:

Well at least when we are being fleeced he is doing it in a polite way :no: unlike some other vendors.

NSX 2000
16-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Paul,

Use this link to the Prime thread to see my latest post which includes your thoughts ...

Hi Paul

OH LOOK ANOTHER 2 WEEKS HAS PASSED WITH KNOW NEWS! :no:

I did look at the thread and someone asked if he could give a date to the UK guys, but he didn't!

I do think we are at the bottom of the pile because we are on the other side of the pond. Another NSX vendor fails us again!:angry::angry:

NoelWatson
16-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi Paul

OH LOOK ANOTHER 2 WEEKS HAS PASSED WITH KNOW NEWS! :no:

I did look at the thread and someone asked if he could give a date to the UK guys, but he didn't!

I do think we are at the bottom of the pile because we are on the other side of the pond. Another NSX vendor fails us again!:angry::angry:

Are we being too polite (typical Brits)? Perhaps all three of us should go on there and post in multiple Procar related threads......

Senninha
16-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Perhaps all three of us should go on there and post in multiple Procar related threads......

Presume this is a typo?

Guys, I dont have a monopoly on this and I'm very aware you have your money on the table. Please do jump onto the Prime thread and express yourselves.

As Noel suggests, maybe I've been too restrained.

NoelWatson
16-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Presume this is a typo?

Guys, I dont have a monopoly on this and I'm very aware you have your money on the table. Please do jump onto the Prime thread and express yourselves.

As Noel suggests, maybe I've been too restrained.

"Presume this is a typo?"

Sorry, meant Prospeed. Detlef of Procar has been impeccable in his dealings with me.

"Please do jump onto the Prime thread and express yourselves."

I'm there!

Senninha
16-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Noel,

Just seen your post and it really puts it into perspective! :laugh:

Regards, Paul

PS, expect him to reply by pm

NSX 2000
16-09-2009, 02:41 PM
"Presume this is a typo?"

Sorry, meant Prospeed. Detlef of Procar has been impeccable in his dealings with me.

"Please do jump onto the Prime thread and express yourselves."

I'm there!

Have just read your post on prime, hope they get the message:angry:

NSX 2000
24-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Paul,

I've just read your post of the 24-09-09 on prime, did he reply with a tracking number?

Paul

NoelWatson
29-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I've just read your post of the 24-09-09 on prime, did he reply with a tracking number?

Paul

I reckon not

Senninha
01-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Recieved today ...

Cats are done and ready to be shipped. I will have time to ship it out tomorrow. Thanks again Paul for your patience. I will PM you with the tracking #. The same address I shipped the other cats should be good?

I've asked for shipping to Paul as before, with the same package labelling.

Will update with the t#

regards, Paul

NoelWatson
01-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Recieved today ...

I've asked for shipping to Paul as before, with the same package labelling.

Will update with the t#

regards, Paul

Good news.

markc
01-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Good news.

Yes indeedee... hurrah :)

NSX 2000
01-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Good news.

Yes indeedee... hurrah :)

I won't belive it untill I see them!!

Then I'm not going to tell you that they have arrived:evil::evil:

Senninha
01-10-2009, 09:41 AM
I won't belive it untill I see them!!

Then I'm not going to tell you that they have arrived:evil::evil:

I hope they do as I'll then fit mine ... didn;t feel right knowing you guys were still waiting.

Just a thought but should we consider a group install by either Plans or TDI? Might be beneficial to the wallet if we line up all 4 cars. If we used TDI for example they have said they would do b4 and after runs.

Thoughts?

NoelWatson
01-10-2009, 09:58 AM
I hope they do as I'll then fit mine ... didn;t feel right knowing you guys were still waiting.

Just a thought but should we consider a group install by either Plans or TDI? Might be beneficial to the wallet if we line up all 4 cars. If we used TDI for example they have said they would do b4 and after runs.

Thoughts?

Happy to do TDI, but how long would it take per car to dyno, fit cats and re dyno?

markc
01-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Happy to do TDI, but how long would it take per car to dyno, fit cats and re dyno?

We all have before dyno's from TDI though. Sure an on the same day, before and after dyno would be best (to judge the gains) but a fit new cats then dyno would probably suffice?

Maybe we just chose one car to do the full before and after dynos on?

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
01-10-2009, 10:15 AM

I spoke to them last week and they asked me to take the NSX in for them to have a look at and work out time/costs.

Also, when I spoke to Kaz about it he suggested it would be benficial to have a spare sensor as it quite possible for at least one not to work or get damaged in transfer.

If you guys are in agreement I'll ask TDI if we could do a group booking and maybe have a couple of cars done simaltaneously (I'm sure thats spelt wrong!! :no:)

regards, Paul

NSX 2000
01-10-2009, 10:19 AM

Thoughts?

I'm happy to do either

I would of thought a couple of hours each, so they would need our cars for whole day.

NoelWatson
01-10-2009, 10:28 AM
If you guys are in agreement I'll ask TDI if we could do a group booking and maybe have a couple of cars done simaltaneously (I'm sure thats spelt wrong!! :no:)

regards, Paul

I'll be up for that. Reckon we should do a before and after run as well so that we know exactly the difference, and see whether the wait was worth it. Not sure I will be able to stay for a whole day though.

Hagasan
01-10-2009, 10:49 AM
I spoke to them last week and they asked me to take the NSX in for them to have a look at and work out time/costs.

Also, when I spoke to Kaz about it he suggested it would be benficial to have a spare sensor as it quite possible for at least one not to work or get damaged in transfer.

regards, Paul

Hey guys glad to hear these things are going to turn up soon.....What was it, June 08 you ordered them? Problems or not at their end it does take the piss.

Anyway the reason I chimed in is to concur with Kaz's comment on the Lambda sensors....When I put the 02+ system on my car sure enough the sensors failed and on popped the warning lights!! Just make sure no oil, penetrating fluid or such like gets on the sensors, that's if you get them out ok. They can be stubborn buggers....

I'm keen to here how good they are in both power and sound enhancement. I considered ordering a set a few months ago with the theory of picking them up when in the US last month but the eternal wait you guys have enduring made me decide against it...If they are any good I may reconsider a purchase in the future, I was thinking of delivery just in time for the Olympics:rolleyes:

Hope it all works out good in the end....

forumadmin
01-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Good luck getting hot cats off a car.:)
If it's the first time the cats have been removed off a car, be prepared for a long time doing it. The nuts will be rusted to the studs, and in the cases I have done, need cutting off.

My car would of been perfect, as when I removed the cats, I also removed the studs from them. I used stainless bolts through the exhaust flanges to the cats so I could switch from cats to test pipes in minutes.

Getting the studs from the cats involves a lot of heat from a torch to expand out the cat so the stud can be removed without bashing the crap out of the cat itself.

markc
01-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Sounds good, assuming we can all make the selected date.

In case it doesn't work out, I have an O2 sensor socket if anyone wants to borrow it. I will probably get under an "crack" the seal on my sensors prior to our fitting day.

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
02-10-2009, 01:41 PM
GUys,

I will try and get to TDI 2mrow for them to get mine up in the air and wirk out times/costs etc.

Will update if this happens

Brian has pm'd to confirm he will ship to Paul's address as b4. I share tracking # when I get it

regards, Paul

Senninha
03-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Here you go boys ....

Here is the customs tracking # from USPS

#cp289178529us

Its insured and shipped via priority mail international. It should arrive in 6 to 10 days.

Hick up on the TDI enquiry today as they forget to tell me in the week that all the techs were out supporting the 500 today. I will now try and get down mid week with mine to get the info.

regards, Paul

Senninha
09-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Gents,

Popped in to see the TDI team today. I will be getting details from them early next week.

On inspection there a few parts that would smooth things along and I will pm details.

We will need to decide if we want before and after runs on the day. If you do (I'm not too concerned with a before) then remember this will extend the time you need to be at TDI to allow for cooling.

I'd suggest we aim to meet on the agreed day for a brekkie early to allow the crs to start cooling b4 TDI opens around 9ish.

Paul's on the money at around 2 hours per car plus the run for the good, or not so good news!

Catch up soon .. anyone tracked the parcel?

Regards, Paul

AR
09-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Good luck guys but two hours is a bit of an arbitrary number.

NSX 2000
14-10-2009, 08:49 AM
YYYYYEEEEEESSSSSS they have arrived:pleased::bigsmile::proud:

So now we just need to get them fitted, I've sent an email to Noel and Paul but not Mack as I don't have an email address for you Mark.

Are the O2 sensors on a 2002 plus NSX either sides of the cats? What I'm getting at is will we need to remove them when swapping the cats over?

Paul.

Senninha
14-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Are the O2 sensors on a 2002 plus NSX either sides of the cats? What I'm getting at is will we need to remove them when swapping the cats over?

Paul.

One at base of header wont need to be touched (as I understand it), but there is one after the cat but part of the cat itself that will need to be swapped over. This is the potential risk area in that they can fail even if treated with care. I've also been told not to use releasing agent to help removal, instead should use heat to release them. When I spoke to Kaz about these he suggested that he wouldn't undertake this exercise without having a spare to hand 'just in case'. OEM is costly but can be obtained from US at good price. With 4 cars to do maybe worth investing in a couple??

regards, Paul

NoelWatson
14-10-2009, 09:09 AM
With 4 cars to do maybe worth investing in a couple??

regards, Paul

Are they the same for pre and post LEV?

Hagasan
14-10-2009, 09:58 AM
One at base of header wont need to be touched (as I understand it), but there is one after the cat but part of the cat itself that will need to be swapped over. This is the potential risk area in that they can fail even if treated with care. I've also been told not to use releasing agent to help removal, instead should use heat to release them. When I spoke to Kaz about these he suggested that he wouldn't undertake this exercise without having a spare to hand 'just in case'. OEM is costly but can be obtained from US at good price. With 4 cars to do maybe worth investing in a couple??

regards, Paul

I believe there is a company in the US called Prospeed than can source these at good prices?? Anyone heard of them? Not sure on waiting times however:eek::laugh::laugh:

Seriously though, hope they work well after a wait that that Dali might have been embarrassed by....

NSX 2000
14-10-2009, 01:38 PM

regards, Paul

Just been quoted £294.27 + Vat each :eek: :eek: :eek:

IIRC there has been a thread about these but can't seem to find anything.

Paul.

NoelWatson
14-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Just been quoted £294.27 + Vat each :eek: :eek: :eek:

IIRC there has been a thread about these but can't seem to find anything.

Paul.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?p=48478
http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:YC_3DEgEF2EJ:www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/search.php%3Fsearchid%3D534697+site:nsxcb.co.uk+ns xcb+oxygen+sensor&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

markc
14-10-2009, 02:23 PM
You can get them for about $60 in the USA.

But they all have differant length leads so you'd have a 1 in 4 chance of buying the correct one.

Shouldn't be a problem as you can buy the one/s with the longest leads and lose the extra wiring or just cut off the connectors from both old and new and solder on the old one to the correct length.

$43 here... http://www.oxygensensorsforless.com/resultsApp.asp

Cheers

Mark

NoelWatson
14-10-2009, 02:40 PM
You can get them for about $60 in the USA.

But they all have differant length leads so you'd have a 1 in 4 chance of buying the correct one.

Shouldn't be a problem as you can buy the one/s with the longest leads and lose the extra wiring or just cut off the connectors from both old and new and solder on the old one to the correct length.

$43 here... http://www.oxygensensorsforless.com/resultsApp.asp

Cheers

Mark

If you increment up throught the years from 1997 to 2005 (and stick with the same manufacturer, such as Bosch), the part numbers change at least twice.

goldnsx
14-10-2009, 05:35 PM
SOS has a quite good quality/price relation on their o2 sensors. I'd not mount Bosch or any other crap.

markc
14-10-2009, 05:46 PM
If you increment up throught the years from 1997 to 2005 (and stick with the same manufacturer, such as Bosch), the part numbers change at least twice.

Are the LEV cars fitted with wideband O2 sensors?

The O2 sensors fitted to the earlier cars are fairly dumb devices. I would hazard a guess that the part number changes are for length of cable or position of strain relief clips etc, the actual sensor will probably be identical.

I fitted a generic Denso to mine and it cleared the problem and has been fine since.

Cheers

Mark

markc
29-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Paul, Noel and myself had our shiney new cats fitted at Plans Motorsport today :)

No problems with O2 sensor damage/failure, at least after a short test drive and when we left.

The cars sounded a little bit fruitier on idle and when you blip the throttle. I can't say I noticed any differance in the sound level or performance on the shortish drive home but it was in slow rush hour traffic. Time, and the TDI dyno, will tell.

Paul (F) my fit wasn't as straightforward as Paul and Noels due to the new cats having a different (wrong?) size thread. In fairness it may be that my car is "odd" or that it's a JDM thing but your car may be similar.

Unlike Paul and Noel's later cars, my car has different style/size O2 sensors on the pre and post sides of each cat. The post cat sensors are a smaller size so they just fell into the fitting holes in the new cats.

The chaps at Plans didn't bat an eyelid though and after quick rummage found some nuts of the correct thread size and preceded to weld them onto the new cats. Hey presto my O2 sensors now fit the cats :)

They charged me a very reasonable extra 30mins labour for the fabrication so I'm a happy bunny. If I get some horsepowers (sic) as well even better.

Thanks to Paul (F) for arranging and persisting with the group buy and Paul (S) for handling the shipping and organising todays fitting session.

Cheers

Mark

NSX 2000
29-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Paul, Noel and myself had our shiney new cats fitted at Plans Motorsport today :)

No problems with O2 sensor damage/failure, at least after a short test drive and when we left.

The cars sounded a little but fruitier on idle and when you blip the throttle. I can't say I noticed any differance in the sound level or performance on the shortish drive home but it was in slow rush hour traffic. Time, and the TDI dyno, will tell.

Paul (F) my fit wasn't as straightforward as Paul and Noels due to the new cats having a different (wrong?) size thread. In fairness it may be that my car is "odd" or that it's a JDM thing but your car may be similar.

Unlike Paul and Noel's later cars, my car has different style/size O2 sensors on the pre and post sides of each cat. The post cat sensors are a smaller size so they just fell into the fitting holes in the new cats.

The chaps at Plans didn't bat an eyelid though and after quick rummage found some bolts of the correct thread size and preceded to weld them onto the new cats. Hey presto my O2 sensors now fit the cats :)

They charged me a very reasonable extra 30mins labour for the fabrication so I'm a happy bunny. If I get some horsepowers (sic) as well even better.

Thanks to Paul (F) for arranging and persisting with the group buy and Paul (S) for handling the shipping and organising todays fitting session.

Cheers

Mark

To add to the above, it took the plans mechanic and I an extra 10 or so minutes to figure out which hi flow cat replaced which standard cat. The reason for the confusion was caused by the location of the O2 sensor hole, on one of the cats it is located on the left and on the new hi flow cats it is on the right:doh:

So am I happy with the hi flow cat? Not sure yet will have to wait and see what the dyno read out is like.

Paul.

Midnight Blue
30-10-2009, 08:58 AM
SOS has a quite good quality/price relation on their o2 sensors. I'd not mount Bosch or any other crap.
I needed a pair of oxygen sensors 2 years ago and bought universal 4 wire versions at about 7 pounds each off eBay. The sensor itself is (as they say) universal, only the manufacurers plug changes. You need to attach your existing plug to the wires using the fixings that came with the sensors but it wasnt difficult. 5 mins with a soldering iron and some shrinkwrap did the job without even using the fixings. So far no problems and at that price relative to OEM who cares if it has a slightly shorter life.

markc
30-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I needed a pair of oxygen sensors 2 years ago and bought universal 4 wire versions at about 7 pounds each off eBay. The sensor itself is (as they say) universal, only the manufacurers plug changes. You need to attach your existing plug to the wires using the fixings that came with the sensors but it wasnt difficult. 5 mins with a soldering iron and some shrinkwrap did the job without even using the fixings. So far no problems and at that price relative to OEM who cares if it has a slightly shorter life.

All true but in my case I have 2 different physical type/sizes s of O2 sensor. The pre cat ones are larger, the 18mm thread variety, while the post cat ones are smaller 12mm thread, variety.

I had to change a pre cat o2 sensor last year and ordered what turned out to be the correct one via www.oxygensensors.com but had I needed a post cat one I'm not sure I'd have received one that fitted?

Cheers

Mark

markc
30-10-2009, 12:32 PM
There's some good information on O2 sensors, type/size/connection etc, on the Lucas site here...

http://www.lucaselectrical.co.uk/catalogues/XCB462C_08_full.pdf

Cheers

Mark

NoelWatson
31-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Just had CEL. Have reset ECU and will see what happens.

Senninha
04-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Had an eventful day outside of a very quick install by Plans for my Prospeed CAT's.

On the CAT's, initial impressions are all positive. Tickover remained smooth, low revs showed little change but car quieter on cruise. Real difference felt from 5k upwards with snappier throttle response and improved sounds in and out of car.

I even had a rather nice compliment about the sound from a very helpful traffic cop on the way home :rolleyes: ..... so maybe I did get a little carried away with the new sounds

Hopefully we'll get these tested soon at TDI, and invite a few other owners. If there are gains it would be a nice upside. But based on todays drive home, it certainly feels and was recorded as quicker!

regards, Paul

AR
04-11-2009, 07:08 PM
But based on todays drive home, it certainly feels and was recorded as quicker!

regards, Paul

I hope it was not recorded too fast, them triple recordings...I despise them!

Senninha
04-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I hope it was not recorded too fast, them triple recordings...I despise them!

Lets just say that she very helpful with the numbers and couldn't remember the triple as she was flat to the floor and I was pulling away! I accepted a generous double without contesting it! :shh:

NSXGB
04-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Glad you all got your cats in the end.
Will be interesting to see what gains you get.

You should have renamed the thread "more ponies, long wait". . . :-)

AR
04-11-2009, 11:26 PM
http://iasos.com/news/species/Cat%2BPony.jpg

Did anyone mentioned CATS and Ponies?

markc
05-11-2009, 04:47 AM
Had an eventful day outside of a very quick install by Plans for my Prospeed CAT's.

So were your O2 sensors the correct size for the "holes" in the new cats then, ie the bigger 18mm threads?

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
05-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi Mark,

Everything was a straight swap with no mods needed. The only tweak was to run a bead of sealant around the new gaskets to ensure no leaks and is fine.

I'm guessing yours may have been a JDM issue?

regards, Paul

AR
05-11-2009, 10:49 AM
My NSX-R had sensors in the cats that looked smaller than 18 mm.

Kaz-kzukNA1
05-11-2009, 09:53 PM
So were your O2 sensors the correct size for the "holes" in the new cats then, ie the bigger 18mm threads?

Cheers

Mark
Hi, Mark.

I believe your NSX is JDM 97 Type-S. If this is the case, then your model type is E-NA2 and not GH-NA2. Therefore, the smaller diameter sensors on your CATS are the exhaust temperature sensors only on JDM. They are not the O2 sensor.

For JDM NSX, the secondary (post CAT) O2 sensors were only introduced from Sep/99 GH-NA1 and GH-NA2 models. From that point, these exhaust temperature sensors were removed from JDM NSX.

In fact, these temperature sensors were not used for EFI calculation but purely for monitoring and warning purpose. You can remove them and put blanking plugs on the CATS and cover up the holes at the right side of the boot.

The sensor that Ary was talking about is the same temperature sensor as it was E-NA1 Type-R.

Hope this will help.

Regards,
Kaz.

AR
05-11-2009, 10:54 PM
The sensor that Ary was talking about is the same temperature sensor as it was E-NA1 Type-R.

Hope this will help.

Regards,
Kaz.

That is right I remember you answering one of my posts about that. I simply disconnected them when I had test pipes in.

Senninha
20-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Gents,

All the CAT's have their new homes ... when are we going to see what they have done for the performance #'s??

regards, Paul

NoelWatson
20-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Gents,

All the CAT's have their new homes ... when are we going to see what they have done for the performance #'s??

regards, Paul

I have to sort CEL out first. Got a feeling that I will have to swap back to the OE cats.

Hagasan
20-11-2009, 01:52 PM
I have to sort CEL out first. Got a feeling that I will have to swap back to the OE cats.

If the CEL has just popped up since the cat change then this is probably just the O2 sensor failing, maybe damaged on removal? I didn't take part in this GB but when I put the 02+ headers & cat on my 96 car I got a CEL(& TCS) and it was the O2 sensor....

markc
20-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi, Mark.

I believe your NSX is JDM 97 Type-S. If this is the case, then your model type is E-NA2 and not GH-NA2. Therefore, the smaller diameter sensors on your CATS are the exhaust temperature sensors only on JDM. They are not the O2 sensor.

For JDM NSX, the secondary (post CAT) O2 sensors were only introduced from Sep/99 GH-NA1 and GH-NA2 models. From that point, these exhaust temperature sensors were removed from JDM NSX.

In fact, these temperature sensors were not used for EFI calculation but purely for monitoring and warning purpose. You can remove them and put blanking plugs on the CATS and cover up the holes at the right side of the boot.

Hope this will help.

Regards,
Kaz.

Sorry Kaz, I missed this reply. You're correct on all counts and my car is indeed designated E-NA2 on the identification plate. One, actually two, less things to go wrong I suspose :)

Gents,

regards, Paul

It'll have to be a Saturday for me Paul. I can't do next weekend but most of the others should be OK up until Christmas.

Cheers

Mark

NoelWatson
20-11-2009, 02:11 PM
If the CEL has just popped up since the cat change then this is probably just the O2 sensor failing, maybe damaged on removal? I didn't take part in this GB but when I put the 02+ headers & cat on my 96 car I got a CEL(& TCS) and it was the O2 sensor....

I'm popping across to see Ewan tomorrow morning. When his went he had slightly different symptoms. Mine only seems to trigger when I am using the engine properly - pottering around town or to the gym it is fine.
I really want to keep the cats on as they sound tremendous.

simonprelude
20-11-2009, 03:51 PM
You could try the spark plug anti fouler in the CAT sensor hole as per the S2000 guys.

The sensor could be saying the CAT isn't working correctly therefore triggering the CEL, an emissions test will show this also and could mean the car will fail emissions so maybe pointless going sportsCAT versus deCAT.

NoelWatson
20-11-2009, 04:05 PM
The sensor could be saying the CAT isn't working correctly therefore triggering the CEL, an emissions test will show this also and could mean the car will fail emissions so maybe pointless going sportsCAT versus deCAT.

We specifically went for sports cats over decat in order that we can pass emissions, so it will be mildly unamusing if this proves not to be the case!

simonprelude
20-11-2009, 04:23 PM
We specifically went for sports cats over decat in order that we can pass emissions, so it will be mildly unamusing if this proves not to be the case!

That was always going to be my worry with them, but as Markc has my order now then all's well that ends well.

markc
20-11-2009, 05:45 PM
That was always going to be my worry with them, but as Markc has my order now then all's well that ends well.

My MOT isn't due until late June so it'll be a while before I need to find out. TDI's equipment will tell me before then though.

Cheers

Mark

NoelWatson
21-11-2009, 11:06 AM

As expected

P0420 - Rear Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold
P0430 - Front Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold

Ewan has kindly lent me his OBD II plugin so I can reset but not ideal. I think the CEL triggers under high revs/load as it was fine on the 40 miles journey home.

simonprelude
21-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Do you think there's room where the O2 sensors fit in for them to be stuck out a further inch? If so and emissions are fine for MOT I can solve your problem ;)

NoelWatson
22-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Do you think there's room where the O2 sensors fit in for them to be stuck out a further inch? If so and emissions are fine for MOT I can solve your problem ;)

No idea. Need to get an emissions test first I guess.

AR
22-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Get the antifoulers guys, job done!

NoelWatson
23-11-2009, 08:28 AM

But then why not go with test pipes?

Senninha
23-11-2009, 09:03 AM

Hi Ary, excuse my ignorance but what these and how do / would they help?

Noel,

Sorry to hear you have some issues ... arer you comfortable nothing was damaged on install? It seems strange that only one of the 4 sets recently installed is causing an issue, and none of the earlier sets caused problems either? I'm told the sensors 'can' be very sensitive to being touched once installed? Is it worth a swap out or is the rerreeader frorrom Ewan confirming they are working OK?

Hope you can resolve soon

regards, Paul

NoelWatson
23-11-2009, 09:28 AM

Noel,

Sorry to hear you have some issues ... arer you comfortable nothing was damaged on install? It seems strange that only one of the 4 sets recently installed is causing an issue, and none of the earlier sets caused problems either? I'm told the sensors 'can' be very sensitive to being touched once installed? Is it worth a swap out or is the rerreeader frorrom Ewan confirming they are working OK?

Hope you can resolve soon

regards, Paul

Paul.

It is a shame as we all waited so long and you put so much effort into chasing.

The fact that both sets of cats are triggering indicates to me that it is unlikely that it is an O2 sensor problem. Furthermore, driving normally does not flag a problem, it is only when using the car as intended that it flags (when Ewan had an O2 sensor fail the light flagged during normal driving).

As to why mine is the only one flagging, I will check with other Paul (could be an LEV issue where the ECU is more stringent of emissions) to see if he has been redling his car with WOT multiple times in quick succession recently - if his doesn't flag then it may be my bad luck.

Still up for a TDI day - I don't think my car is going in limp home mode - VTEC is certainly engaging.

Regards

Noel

AR
23-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Paul,

They are spark plug antifoulers, they are used to move the lambda sensor away from the path of the gases enough, not to get a CEL.

Good post here:

http://www.preludeonline.com/2954036-post25.html

Cheers,

Ary

NSX 2000
23-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Paul.

It is a shame as we all waited so long and you put so much effort into chasing.

The fact that both sets of cats are triggering indicates to me that it is unlikely that it is an O2 sensor problem. Furthermore, driving normally does not flag a problem, it is only when using the car as intended that it flags (when Ewan had an O2 sensor fail the light flagged during normal driving).

As to why mine is the only one flagging, I will check with other Paul (could be an LEV issue where the ECU is more stringent of emissions) to see if he has been redling his car with WOT multiple times in quick succession recently - if his doesn't flag then it may be my bad luck.

Still up for a TDI day - I don't think my car is going in limp home mode - VTEC is certainly engaging.

Regards

Noel

Hi Noel

Went out in mine on Friday night, only up the road mind, and have not had a problem, touch wood. On my way home after having them fitted I hit Vtec more than 10 times and no problems.

I would agree with Paul, these are very sensitive bits of equipment and plans had to do a bit of extra "bangging" to stop yours from blowing, it could be worth me picking up a pair from the US for you or ask Kas to have a look?

Paul.

markc
23-11-2009, 11:54 AM

As I understand it they move the O2 sensor out of the exhaust gas flow where it (the O2 sensor) reads lower CO and HC (Hydrocarbon) emissions. This usually stops the car sensing a problem and triggering the Check Engine Light (CEL) but of course it doesn't change the fact that the CAT isn't doing it's job properly. Of course it may doing enough of a job to pass MOT emissions but only a emissions check will tell.

I agree sounds like the CATs aren't doing enough rather than the sensors being at fault.

Perhaps Kaz, could comment on what the LEV ECU, and indeed the pre LEV ECU, does when the Post CAT O2 sensor/s detect a problem like this?

Cheers

Mark

simonprelude
23-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Paul,

They are spark plug antifoulers, they are used to move the lambda sensor away from the path of the gases enough, not to get a CEL.

Good post here:

http://www.preludeonline.com/2954036-post25.html

Cheers,

Ary

Good link, these are exactly what I have in my toolbox, I bought a few sets when I ordered my CATS as I had a feeling at least one person would have this problem.

I seem to remember somewhere that the secondary O2 sensor on the LEV ECU does affect fuelling etc but will wait for Kaz to confirm.

If the emissions are ok for MOT time and there is sufficient room for the anti foulers then that would be my way forward. Well unless you can either live with the CEL coming on at WOT (dangerous in my experience) or you're going to revert to OEM CAT's or install an aftermarket ECU.

AR
23-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Would have been interesting to see an AFR plot on the cars before hi flow cats, after and after antifoulers.

Judging by NSX Prime posts it sounds as if the proospeed stuff and company leave a lot to be desired off.

AFAIK Hi Flow cats degrade quicker than OEM.

Any reason why not get a set of Random technology modified for NA2?

goldnsx
23-11-2009, 07:32 PM

I'd would have gone this route from the beginning. They're more reputable. But cats won't bring much anyway.

markc
23-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Judging by NSX Prime posts it sounds as if the proospeed stuff and company leave a lot to be desired off.

AFAIK Hi Flow cats degrade quicker than OEM.

I'd would have gone this route from the beginning. They're more reputable. But cats won't bring much anyway.

Some similar problems (P0420/0430) with the Random Technology ones so not sure you'd be any better off with them.

Anyway don't rain on our parade just yet you miserable buggers :)

Cheers

Mark

AR
23-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Personally since I derive a lot of pleasure from messing about with spanners, I would have gone for test pipes.

Senninha
23-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Nice to see the product experts have joined the fray ....

Some positive comments to assist Neol with this issue are obviously welcomed, but if you have hearsay opinions then keep them to yourself please as they offer no help.

Noel,

any chance you can swap out to test if it is a damaged sensor?

Ewan
24-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Well, as Noel says, it appears that his O2 sensors are working "correctly"; mine had a heater circuit malfunction, which was causing the CEL pretty much as soon as the engine was turned.

Looking at the pic I took at the time
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=4545&d=1222537533

It seems likely that both post-cat sensors could accomodate the anti-fouling plug Simon's suggesting - there's a reasonable amount of room there...

Noel: if I were you, I'd have the car back to Plans to see if they can check the installation is OK, maybe get them to do an emissions test too?

cheers
Ewan

NoelWatson
24-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Well, as Noel says, it appears that his O2 sensors are working "correctly"; mine had a heater circuit malfunction, which was causing the CEL pretty much as soon as the engine was turned.

Looking at the pic I took at the time
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=4545&d=1222537533

It seems likely that both post-cat sensors could accomodate the anti-fouling plug Simon's suggesting - there's a reasonable amount of room there...

Noel: if I were you, I'd have the car back to Plans to see if they can check the installation is OK, maybe get them to do an emissions test too?

cheers
Ewan

Paul/Ewan,

Will give Plans a call. The weather map tomorrow has a round yellow symbol on it. I recall this is named sunshine, and as I haven't seen any for months, may take day off to enjoy it. Not sure if Plans do emissions tests, but if they do, I will see if they can squeeze me in.

Ewan
24-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Plans website:

We have all the latest diagnostic tools, and have on-site MOT testing facilities

NoelWatson
24-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Plans website:

We have all the latest diagnostic tools, and have on-site MOT testing facilities

They were booked up - will visit my local emissions tester tomorrow

NoelWatson
25-11-2009, 04:27 PM
They were booked up - will visit my local emissions tester tomorrow

Emissions were fine, not much different from last MOT, so maybe it is only higher revs that causes the issue. The chap that did the check

http://www.petercoopercarrepairs.co.uk/motchecklist.htm

used to MOT McLaren F1s, so I explained the link between ours and the F1. He took a photo for the website.

Kaz-kzukNA1
27-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi, Noel.

As other owners using the same high flow CATS didn’t experience the same issue as yours, it is very unlikely to be the CATS failure but more of sensor or installation issues unless you had the unlucky one. Emission test won't highlight much because the EFI closed loop is based on the Primary O2 sensor and not with the Secondary ones. Also, your CATS are new and if it is performing as it should be, you won't see any spike.

The secondary O2 sensors are not used for the closed loop EFI calculation. They are used for monitoring the performance of each CATS. There could be a protection algorithm for the CATS within the software but only under the fail safe condition and not for the normal EFI calculation.

You may want to put back one of your original CAT or replace one of the secondary O2 sensor for testing purpose. Also, if you have any leakage around the CATS gasket, you will trigger the ECL. I hope you replaced the gasket and using the round edge type and not the flat ones.

If your DTC reader has monitoring/plot feature, you may be able to watch the output data from the secondary O2 sensors. Alternatively, any high performance tuning shop should have CAN interface with PC software for monitoring different parameters in realtime so you should be able to monitor what is happening at WOT (Wide Open Throttle). This will tell quite a lot of things and since you have other owners with OBD-2 NSX, you can compare the data.

The sensor itself is narrow band so it can be tested in several ways quite easily by applying voltage at the heater circuit and monitoring the output voltage at certain rpm.

Regards,
Kaz

AR
27-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Any chance they use penetrating oil during the install and contaminated the sensor somehow? Perhaps some cutting fluid from the threads in the bungs?

Just a couple of ideas that might have nothing to do with it at all.

Cheers,

AR

NoelWatson
27-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Hi, Noel.

Also, if you have any leakage around the CATS gasket, you will trigger the ECL. I hope you replaced the gasket and using the round edge type and not the flat ones.

Kaz,

Thanks for the reply. The above rings alarm bells. We had problem getting a seal when fitted so it wouldn't surprise me if this were the problem.

Regards

Noel

NoelWatson
03-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Kaz,

Thanks for the reply. The above rings alarm bells. We had problem getting a seal when fitted so it wouldn't surprise me if this were the problem.

Regards

Noel

I downloaded the commercial version of EasyOBD11 (free version may be adequate but I felt that it was worth a contribution as it is a decent product) and went for a spin.

Got the following:

Av Bank 1 Sensor 1: 0.46v
Av Bank 1 Sensor 2: 0.58v
Av Bank 2 Sensor 1: 0.49v
Av Bank 2 Sensor 2: 0.58v

From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor

"The ideal setpoint (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/wiki/Setpoint) is approximately 0.45 V (450 mV) DC"

So it appears that all four sensors are working OK.

The light didn't trigger today - maybe wasn't pushing hard enough as motorway was busy and roads are cold. Will give Plans a ring in the week and get it booked in.

simonprelude
03-01-2010, 06:02 PM
You want me to post some anti foulers to you?

NoelWatson
04-01-2010, 08:10 AM
You want me to post some anti foulers to you?

Thanks for offer - let me see what Plans say - anti foulers may be the next step

NoelWatson
18-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks for offer - let me see what Plans say - anti foulers may be the next step

So, popped down to Plans and we are pretty convinced that the exhaust isn't blowing. We tried stopping the exhaust flow and it was impossible, so there is a good seal. Next steps

1. Need to plug diagnostic gear into Paul (NSX2000s) car to see what his sensors show
2. Get the cars on the dyno at TDI
3. Decide whether to keep them fitted.l

NoelWatson
20-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Blast from the past - put the OE cats back on - just back from SRR - car is 20bhp stronger at top end - back to where it was before. Also had tracking done. Car feels so much better.

markc
20-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Car feels so much better.

Power wise, handling wise or both?

Assuming the former, were the Cats causing a physical flow problem or was it the O2 readings causing the ECU to hold the power back?

Cheers

Mark

NoelWatson
20-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Power wise, handling wise or both?

Assuming the former, were the Cats causing a physical flow problem or was it the O2 readings causing the ECU to hold the power back?

Cheers

Mark

Both!

As for power with sports cats - I think it was ECU rather than flow, as the power curve was doing some strange things at the top end - dipping down after 6000 and rising slightly at the end. I'm just chuffed I don't appear to have done permanent damage.

markc
20-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Probably the LEV ECU map? Paul's has been OK though hasn't it? Good that it's sorted though :)

No post Cat sensors on mine so it should be fine... until it fails and MOT!

Cheers

Mark

NSX 2000
20-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Probably the LEV ECU map? Paul's has been OK though hasn't it? Good that it's sorted though :)

Mark

Which, Paul? If you mean me, then No, I took mine off back in June.

Paul

NoelWatson
20-12-2011, 04:16 PM

No post Cat sensors on mine so it should be fine... until it fails and MOT!

Cheers

Mark

I think you will be fine on MOT - I checked mine after fitting and there was little difference.

markc
20-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Which, Paul? If you mean me, then No, I took mine off back in June.

Yes I did. LEV cars no likey less catalytic converting then.

Cheers

Mark

m666 edd
21-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Did any 3.0 nsxs have any luck with these?

NoelWatson
24-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Did any 3.0 nsxs have any luck with these?

We will hopefully find out soon....

NoelWatson
24-12-2011, 09:47 PM

Looks a lot healthier at top end. Next test is to see if "normal" petrol is any different to VPower