PDA

View Full Version : NSX Battery £40 from Honda Garage???

donnac
26-02-2009, 06:38 PM
:) I MOT'D my NSX this week at the local Honda garage and asked the price of a Battery and was quoted £40 which i accepted and they fitted it Free whilst the car was being put through the MOT. I was wondering if they may have got it wrong as £40 is cheap and the battery I beleive is the correct one as it is the same size etc as the old one. What prices have other NSX owners paid???

TheSebringOne
26-02-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure if you can get oem replacement batterys anymore? If so, I assume would it be alot more than £40. With a big engine & battery being in the front & engine in the rear, its important to get the biggest battery that fits & heavy duty since it helps with larger the CCA (cold cranking amps) & discharge rate AH (amps hour). Mine was a non branded one from a wholesalers, they supply to people that stick their own lable and cost £50 four years ago. I suppose if its a daily driver, then a smaller, less expensive battery would be ok too (smaller CCA). HTH

howellr
26-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Hello,

The official NSX battery from Honda is well over £100 - I got a quote last time I was at Norton way. Their £40 battery is for their lawn mowers or the Jazz !!

I bought a NUMAX from MANBAT who have dealers all over the uk (see website) for about £60.

I would give your honda dealer a call and ask them to check.

Rod

TheSebringOne
26-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Thats reminded, mines a Numax too! Just checked receipt it was £45 with 4 years warranty.

eclipse1501
27-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Varta D47 over here today is 127.95 Euros but I actually put a heavy duty Varta one on the NSX 18 months ago and its goosed already. My local "Norauto" (equivalent of Halfords here) had a cheaper one in at 84.95 Euros which I think will fit the bill this time. Although 9 degrees has been the coldest we've recorded on the school run, Ive not used the NSX much over the winter which I don't think is helping the battery situation.

donnac
28-02-2009, 01:17 PM
:eek: I will check it out over the weekend and i will be disappointed if the part is wrong as the storeman knows the car and as they have carried out the main service last year. As someone has already stated - is there an original battery specifically for the NSX currently listed? My car is garaged so the ice age should not affect it and i dont use it much in Winter so i suppose it will depend on how it copes with the battery drain that the immobiliser/alarm takes. I have been given a 3 year guarantee so i guess i should be okay. Thanks for the helpful tips :)

TheSebringOne
28-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Get a trickle charger from Draper about £15.00 & it will keep the battery in tip top condition. Just attached croc clips to the fuse box & engine block near the engine and it will replace the charge used up by the alarm/immobiliser :)

donnac
01-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Good shout on the trickle charger however i have to park mine in a garage a street away with no power or means of power at present. I am hopefully going to move house within the next 18 months to obtain a nice garage or two. I wish my garage was right next to my house like most peoples/

dan the man
01-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Was the old battery giving u jip donna ?

donnac
02-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Was starting to lose its charge when the car was left for 3 weeks plus.
So decided to buy another as the price was low for a new one (if i have bought the right one that is). Hows the KA going? and is the handbrake still working? :) Havent been driving her much lately as Donna got a new car a few weeks ago, a LOTUS so i thought i might be better getting a new battery so when she needs a jump start i can oblige with the NSX :laugh:

dan the man
03-03-2009, 08:51 PM
what lotus? The new europa or an older one? u posh sod :)

yeah 3 weeks is a long time, u must not be stretching her legs right.. always started good for me..maybe ill nip up and acclimatise her to how things used to be

:D

donnac
07-03-2009, 06:42 PM
:laugh: I had the NSX out yesterday and she is still driving like a dream and like all NSXs is looking low; mean and cool:D I take it you miss your NSX and you never know you may get to drive her again on day. I am sure you will get another or something as special as you have a lot of driving years ahead of you. The Lotus is an Elise S1 with some mods which take it to around 141BHP and Donna reckons it could take the NSX but having driven the two i don't think it would ever take the NSX. There are a few Lotus cars with more BHP that would up to 60/80 mph but there again the NSX is not just about speed.

I must admit to be still driving her in a restricted fashion as its just a year since my mad crash in my last car which i hope is my first and last crash as it was a sore one. Did you get your cottage almost finished or are you leaving it for the Summer.

NoelWatson
07-03-2009, 07:23 PM
:laugh: I had the NSX out yesterday and she is still driving like a dream and like all NSXs is looking low; mean and cool:D I take it you miss your NSX and you never know you may get to drive her again on day. I am sure you will get another or something as special as you have a lot of driving years ahead of you. The Lotus is an Elise S1 with some mods which take it to around 141BHP and Donna reckons it could take the NSX but having driven the two i don't think it would ever take the NSX. There are a few Lotus cars with more BHP that would up to 60/80 mph but there again the NSX is not just about speed.

I must admit to be still driving her in a restricted fashion as its just a year since my mad crash in my last car which i hope is my first and last crash as it was a sore one. Did you get your cottage almost finished or are you leaving it for the Summer.

Friend had a Lotus S1 with ~150bhp and it was pretty well matched until 60mph when my car was standard as was my other friend with a 111S with sports exhaust. Different matter after 60mph.

Senninha
07-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Back on the battery topic ...

My beloved bought me a honda trickle charger for Xmas as my old one had given up the ghost.

It puts the battery through a charge and discharge routine on a regular basis and I leave it permanently attached when not in use.

The battery on mine is the original item (unless I'm missing a reciept) and still kicks the NSx into life without any hesitation.

Maybe worth asking your dealer for one of these when checking your battery is the right one

regards, Paul

donnac
07-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Checked with Honda today and they have confirmed I have the right battery for the NSX which suprised me too! My garage has no power so until they invent a solar power trickle charger i may have to pass on that. I would definately have one though if i had power in my garage. NSX V Lotus - To be honest i don't plan to find out until the good weather comes back as i would prefer to do the Lotus test when the tarmac is hot and sticky in order to get the power down as the last time i tried to put the power down in an Atom outwith Summer weather the semi slicks decided not to work too well and i had to replace a BUS Shelter.

Silver Surfer
07-03-2009, 10:42 PM
http://i24.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/f7/c5/e0e0_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HI-POWER-12V-SOLAR-PANEL-BATTERY-CHARGER-BOAT-CAR-NEW_W0QQitemZ220372870192QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cam pervan_Caravan_Accessories?hash=item220372870192&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Solar trickle charger for £0.99

SS

simonprelude
07-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Maplin do a solar trickle charger, I have one in the Mercedes.
Stick it in the windscreen / garage roof and away you go, £10 delivered.

Driver Matt
12-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Have just asked Honda Shepton for a new battery.
NSX battery is £255-37.
Managed not to take up the offer.
What did you get for £40 ?

vtecdirect
12-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Honda are usually really good on batteries, the one for an Accord Type R is only around £50 retail from main dealers, think i pay £28 plus vat trade.
Wouldnt be surprised if its the same battery, big ole thing.