PDA

View Full Version : New member saying hi

Rex218
15-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Browsing through the pages as I do with all the forums of cars that I am interested in I thought in this case I would say hi and introduce myself. I will deliberatly avoid all the usual questions on what to look out for and how much is car x worth and try to give a bit of info on how I have ended up at your NSX site.

For the past year or so I have wondered what car to buy as both a daily driver and something for high days and holidays. My budget was flexable and I was hankering after a something a bit different. I can change my mind as often as my underwear and went through the thought process of (in no particular order)

BMW M Coupe
Maserrati 3200GT
Ferrari 355
Ferrari 550
Porsche GT3
M5 E39 variant

As I spent many a long hour on pistonheads and never made a decision. I have ended up buying cheep fun stopgap cars till I could settle on a car. I have ended up with a 205Gti purchaced on a whim on a Sunday evening after seeing it 2 hours before on PH and a E36 3.0l M3 which was to be converted to a track day car. This was also purchaced a bit rashly on a boys camping weekend at Brands Hatch when I was meant to be watching the touring cars. (It was only a few miles down the road so what can you do :-)).

With the cars in the list above I felt it was quite wrong to go to a private seller and test drive a car not knowing if it was the make of car was the one I wanted to purchase. I instead joined a car club which had most of the cars I was looking for and then after a full weekend with each of them would be able to make an informed decision.

I was not even going to take out the NSX they had but first booked the 355. A weekend in Wales was prepared but unfortunatly the 355 broke down after about 60 miles. They came out within a couple of hours with the NSX. At first I was dissapointed but my god what a fabulous car. My wife preferred it in every way to the Ferrari except the interior (although the seats are fabulous) and the solidity of the car was amazing even though it was on over 100,000 miles. I have since driven the 550, GT3 and a Gallardo (although out of the price range was just fabulous and has mental acceleration).

I have still come back to the NSX though and is now in my sights as I with an early one I can keep the 205 (so at least 1 stays original) and M3(as a track day car) without breaking the bank.

The others have been dismissed for the following reasons

Ferrari - Fragility (The 550 gave problems as well)
GT3 - Brilliant when driving full on and still makes me smile when remembering driving up to Betsycoed 5am in the early morning sunshine but crap when driving on the motorway
3200GT - Car cheep but repairs nightmare
M Coupe - Not driven one but have a well balanced BMW for the track

I wonder if this will be longest intro post but hopefully not too boring and is a bit of an insight to my thought process to get here.

Thanks

Rex

Silver Surfer
15-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Good 1st post!

You will not be disappointed with an NSX...it will grow on you more and more with each drive!

You should take it out for a weekend again when the weather is nicer to confirm that this is the car you NEED!!!

SS

Rex218
15-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I will be taking it out again as I will be renewing my membership this month. This time it is purely for the fun of driving different cars and not as a test exercise though.

markdas
16-02-2009, 04:37 AM
Agree, good post....and a good method of narrowing down your search...for me it was simpler, a year ago I was thinking of a DB7 and almost went for a reasonably well looked after, quite high mileage one with almost full service history. It was my wife that suggested an NSX at the last minute and the comparison began......well sort of.....

I think there are some amazing cars out there in a similar league but the NSX came along and brought build quality, refinement, thorough testing and most of all Reliability!!!

As you pointed out, 100,000 miles on a well maintained car is no cause for concern. And SS is right when he says it grows on you time after time....its so understated that you have to look twice to remind yourself its an out and out supercar but it doesnt have to try too hard to prove it....A year down the line, I still get a huge feeling of satisfaction when I drive it or even just look at it, or read stuff about it.....its so hard for any hard nosed motoring journalist to find fault (except that tosser Tiff Needell who just had to say something). Its just an amazing car all round....if you get one, you wont be sat worried about it breaking if you use it, depreciation if you want to sell it....you can relax and enjoy it with pride...

Mark

Dave J
16-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Hi Rex, had my NSX now for just 2 weeks and i can now say i really do like it. I was a little dissapointed with the power at first but the build, handling, comfort and decent MPG have now made me a happy man :). My car has run 120k but drives perfectly and everything apart from the ABS works well so that can't be bad!
This is a great forum and i can't praise some of the members highly enough for their help and advice on advice before and after purchase of my first NSX.
Dave.

NoelWatson
16-02-2009, 10:18 AM
GT3 - Brilliant when driving full on and still makes me smile when remembering driving up to Betsycoed 5am in the early morning sunshine but crap when driving on the motorway

Which GT3 was it?

AR
16-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Rex

Fantastic first post, after reading it I have no doubt the NSX will fit the bill.

Any questions that you have or prospective cars, fire away and we will do our best to annswer them.

Cheers,

AR

Rex218
16-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome from everyone.

The GT3 I drove was a Mk 1 with the carbon fiber seats. They had a fixed back and were brilliant at holding you in place but not for a journey back from Anglesey to South Bucks after a day on the track (in an M3, not the GT3).

I have been in a GT3 with the comfort seats which were much better for me but this was on a track. Must try to get it the right way round next time.

Rex

Lankstarr
16-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Funny how they use the NSX as a replacement when their ferarri breaks down! The reliable supercar...

Happy hunting; I hope you find yourself a good one. Worth looking at Yellow - until you see the colour in teh flesh you can never fully appreciate it. I'd be looking at the yelloe targa for sale if I was hunting again!

L*

BabyG
16-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I thought hard about joining ClubGT to evaluate a few of the options before buying as well, they've got a fantastic selection of slightly older supercars at what look to be pretty good prices compared with other clubs I looked at. How did you get on with their service, they're near me and was tempted to try out a few anyway?

No regrets about plumping for the NSX without trying the others though, you've already heard the induction noise so case closed :D.

996 GT3s are getting close to silly money now, interesting to see your thoughts on the seats and suitability for the drive home.

NoelWatson
16-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I thought hard about joining ClubGT to evaluate a few of the options before buying as well, they've got a fantastic selection of slightly older supercars at what look to be pretty good prices compared with other clubs I looked at. How did you get on with their service, they're near me and was tempted to try out a few anyway?

No regrets about plumping for the NSX without trying the others though, you've already heard the induction noise so case closed :D.

996 GT3s are getting close to silly money now, interesting to see your thoughts on the seats and suitability for the drive home.

ClubGT looks interesting - may pop along after work one evening to have a look.

They have a GT-R coming in stock soon - potential family car. Would like to drive a GT3 and 355 to see how they compare to the NSX.

I was underwhelmelmed by my time with the Classic Car Club - maybe this will be better.

Rex218
16-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Service from ClubGT is excellent and apart from the Ferraris' faults (electrical problems with sensors on the Cat) it has been a great year hence rejoining. Was trying to avoid mentioning the club as I don't want to break any rules with advertising.

Rex

amo
16-02-2009, 09:02 PM
hi mate well dip ur hand in ur pocket deep cos im sellin mine lol
sorry not in my life time lol
oh ya and welcome have fun finding one

thx amo

Hagasan
16-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Service from ClubGT is excellent and apart from the Ferraris' faults (electrical problems with sensors on the Cat) it has been a great year hence rejoining. Was trying to avoid mentioning the club as I don't want to break any rules with advertising.

Rex

You should try their Integrale sometime....Not sure if their car will be fully representative of the breed but I've owned four Evo II's in my time (they have an EVO I I think but with the EVO II interior) and they are absolutely fantastic cars for feedback and handling. They will make you think of an NSX's steering as the slowest thing in the world.....

TheSebringOne
16-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Not bad for a first post! Well excellant actually! Welcome and I hope you purchase one of these truly special car. Only those in the know & real car lovers have known it all along! Any questions will be gladly answered. :)

donnac
26-02-2009, 10:25 PM
A Warm Welcome to you. I am fairly new to the NSX having purchased exactly one year ago. I can honestly say its been everything i thought it would be and more. However, the best thing i like about it would be the way it drives and can be driven. Whether for fun or a bit sport you can't go wrong with an NSX. Even though they sport a large Honda badge at the front, each week i have people coming up to me and saying ... what is it?..and i suppose that is them saying ...i like. I have been fascinated by the huge respect it receives from all Honda drivers due to its pedigree and reputation.

I hope you manage to buy one and happy motoring either way.

nsx60
28-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Congrats on purchasing a great car , unfortunately you have just given me more of a dilemma as i have been considering selling NSX60. I have been thinking about a touareg or a cayenne as i do love 4 x 4 `s especially performance ones and i can`t justify having both as well as my everyday car. But everything everyone has just said has made me wonder if will live to regret selling it , put it this way , the guy i bought mine off is a good friend and has offered to buy it back as he always regrets selling it to me !! Yes its a pain in the arse to fit my golfing paraphenalia in and yes its temperamental air conditioning and condensation prone back lights get on my nerves , and yes the amount of money its costing me for a new clutch fitted this weekend. BUT and its a big BUT , i never ever get out of that car without a smile on my face after a good blast on a good A road or even a trip to the shops when you see the young lads with 206`s and saxo`s stop and stare !!!! My days of being in an anonymous truck may have to wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rex218
28-02-2009, 10:33 PM
I know what you mean about the respect other cars give. Although I only had it for a few days there were flashes from other cars on each of the days I had it. One even from a black Gallardo. Not may 15 year old cars get the recognition the NSX achieves.

donnac
01-03-2009, 09:44 AM
I have never experienced this before with previous cars. I also know the should i or should'nt i sell thing. If you were ever thinking of selling then don't drive your NSX for as long as possible before advertising and then you might just forget how good they are:D. I beleive they can be costly to run if anything goes wrong but so can most amazing cars. I plan to keep mine for a few years at least. I bought a mad Baja Bug last year and now i must sell her due to losing my dads garage and although she is one of the best Bajas in the UK the NSX is and always will be the No 1 car for me on my budget. :)

Rex218
08-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I took the NSX out from the club this weekend. Saw that the weather was going to be pretty good and phoned them Fri afternoon and picked it up a couple of hours later.

Well I have had fun. It makes a lovely change in noise when you put your foot down and the acceleration in first and second is great fun. I love the feedback the car gives and was quite happy to push it and lean on the tyres round the bends. It was on different wheels and tyres this time from my previous time in the car. Previously it was on larger wheels and tyres. It is on the original 15 inch 205 section on the front and 16 inch on the rears. Although they look too small for the car and don't seam to fill the arches the car handles beautifully and feels very compliant over the bumps. The seats are also very very comfortable.

The grip was excellent but was not as strong as the grip on the door handle a friend had as we negotiated a nice series of flowing bends.

The car I was in was the 3.0l and although my passenger felt it was quick enough for the road, for me it lacks that certain something from 3rd gear on. Is the 3.2 much different from the 3.0.

Unfortunately I have to take it back tomorrow but hopefully will be in a 550 Maranello in 2 weeks time. That definitely does not lack any grunt in 3rd gear. The last time I had it, it spun its tyres on a slightly damp slip road in 3rd gear at 75mph and I wasn't even on full throttle. Thank F**k for traction control.

AR
08-03-2009, 09:22 PM
The car I was in was the 3.0l and although my passenger felt it was quick enough for the road, for me it lacks that certain something from 3rd gear on. Is the 3.2 much different from the 3.0.

IMHO Once you fit headers to the 3.0 is not much in it, the 6 speed box might make it a hair quicker, but onec you count all of the extra reinforcement for a later car and the PAS the early one wins for me at least.

Cheers,

AR

Rex218
08-03-2009, 10:04 PM
What is the sort of cost with headers and what gains can you get with doing this. Had a quick search but to no avail

Senninha
08-03-2009, 10:34 PM
What is the sort of cost with headers and what gains can you get with doing this. Had a quick search but to no avail

Do a search for the TDI rolling road day and note the results for Leigh's car (Kowalski) ... 3.0 with intake, headers and exhaust. Its also de-catted which makes it a tad tooooooo loud!

IIRC his car was matching most of the 3.2 .... but not all ;)

regards, Paul

AR
08-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Do a search for the TDI rolling road day and note the results for Leigh's car (Kowalski) ... 3.0 with intake, headers and exhaust. Its also de-catted which makes it a tad tooooooo loud!

IIRC his car was matching most of the 3.2 .... but not all ;)

regards, Paul

Perhaps the intake was hurting the gains. :)

markc
09-03-2009, 04:19 AM
The car I was in was the 3.0l and although my passenger felt it was quick enough for the road, for me it lacks that certain something from 3rd gear on. Is the 3.2 much different from the 3.0

The ClubGT car is an early UK model with the original gearing. Later 5spds (MY'96) have shorter 2nd and 3rd gears helping them to stay "on the boil" a bit better on UK B roads.

IMHO Once you fit headers to the 3.0 is not much in it, the 6 speed box might make it a hair quicker, but onec you count all of the extra reinforcement for a later car and the PAS the early one wins for me at least.

3.2ltr 6spd cars have similar 2nd and 3rd gearing to late model 5 spd'ers and significantly shorter 4th and 5th gears which help them get to the really big speeds ie 150+mph, more quickly. The 3.2 engine also has a wider spread of torque, as well as a bit more power, which helps again. The differance isn't enormous but it is there.

Some people prefer the non power steering fitted to the early cars while others prefer the powered (EPS) set-up.

You probably need to try both (actually all 3) to determine if the extra outlay required for a late 3.0ltr or the extra again for a 3.2 6spd is worth it to you.

Cheers

Mark