PDA

View Full Version : the recession is real?

ctrlaltdelboy
15-02-2009, 01:42 AM
hi folks

yep, I've been absent for a long long time - for those that have missed me I apologise; for those who haven't/don't know me/don't care, errr, I started this sentence without thinking of a suitable ending to it, so I'm sorry that I don't really have one for you.

anyway, happy 2009 to all my NSXer friends, and as I sit here a little worse the wear for alcohol and catching up on the NSXCB recent posts I thought I'd share this observation....

for the first time in over a decade I actually cooked a meal at home on Valentines day.

maybe not a big deal in itself, but still somewhat defining for me as it's been such a long time for me during a decade+ of excess that it was something of a moment of realisation of this recession that everyone keeps going on about that I've changed the long-standing habit of going out and spunking money for the sake of convention or whatever [expectation?] and in fact Claire and I had a great evening at home, just as much as any other Valentines day, if not more so whilst incurring a fraction of the expense compared to recent years.

I don't really have any greater point to make than the above, just felt like stating my observation on this change of behaviour in these changing times for your consideration/discussion.

again, apologies for my absence in the last year or so and also in advance should I continue to frequent these pages less often than I would like to/have done so in the past.

best regards

Darren

AR
15-02-2009, 02:07 AM
Darren,

Glad to see you posting again.

This recession is real, yet I marvel at the amount of people ( some relatives included ) I see spending money that in some cases I am 100 percent sure they don't have.

Perhaps that spending will only manifest itself into a huge credit crisis in 6 months???

Who is to say, but that this are tough times that is a fact.

Cheers,

Ary

simonprelude
15-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Darren, good to see you back (if only temporarily) like you I see that the economy is changing and yet still see people spending who I am sure can't afford it.
Perhaps Gordon is right, we need to spend ourselved out of recession, however I'll let others do that for me. Well with a few exceptions of course :)

amo
15-02-2009, 10:06 AM
hi mate hope things are well
im one one them people who is spending and not got it lol
but hay thats why they invented credit cards lol

thx amo

AR
15-02-2009, 12:00 PM

thx amo

Amo you got a well paid tough job that is in demand, so you know there will always be a source of income. I am talking about students, people on benefits and to use and old term Sitcoms. ( Single Income two children ominous mortgage )

Wether you go B&Q, Costco teh Supermarkets or High Street, is moore of the same.

Rant over. :)

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
15-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi Darren,

I was only talking about you with Matt a few days ago and here you are! Welcome back and good to hear you and the family are well.

Ditto on the home cooking, had a lovely evening, meal with all the trimmings, a good movie.

All the best

Paul

Martin
15-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Hi Darren

Good to hear from you..and welcome back :-)

Cheers
Martin

Kevin
15-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Hello Darren,

We've NEVER been out on Valentine's day. Worst day of the year to go out with packed restuarents, jerks trying to sell poxy roses to give to the missus etc etc.

TheSebringOne
16-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Welcome back Darren. I hope things get better for you. This recession/global downturn will change our lifestyle forever! In due course when theres light at the end of the tunnel, then the lessons learnt will put us in good sted. :)

john dean
11-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Well I picked up an 03 LBB last september and who gives a sh** about the credit crunch, I just look at my car and I grin. What the country needs is better taste in motor vehicles!

Perhaps if Gordon Brown had an NSX then at least VED would not have gone up? I mean, how could he have!

Like Darren, this post is slightly drink inspired too!

Is it sad to sleep with my curtains open so when I wake it is easier to look at my Long Beach Blue NSX and my Monte Carlo Blue S2000? I hope nobody thinks so? I am still at work at half eleven so I need some reason to get up!!!!

Night all! John

mutley
12-03-2009, 12:43 AM

thx amo

I think that i am in a similar position, I am still spending on stuff I don't really need, but my job is pretty recession proof............ for now.

AR
12-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I think that i am in a similar position, I am still spending on stuff I don't really need, but my job is pretty recession proof............ for now.

Needs and wants with car people are interchangeable.

BTW I think your job will be safe for quite some time.

Cheers,

AR