PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying and maintaining an NSX

kevinpsw
29-06-2005, 06:49 AM
I have all but decided to get myself an NSX. However, I am meeting a certain amount of resistance on the home front. Why don't you buy something more sensible or less expensive to run? My wife would prefer me to get an XK8.

So, I need to have a full understanding of what I could be taking on.

All advice on buying and running costs would therefore be welcome. I know it is impossible to predict costs with accuracy but what would be a sensible planning figure for maintenance on 6000 miles p.a?

I would be looking for a car at <£20,000, probably 91-94, manual with fsh. I guess that in this price range a car would have done 60k+.

Any top tips on how to spot trouble?

Regards,

Kevin S-W

Greybloke
29-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Kevin

Having just been through the process myself, I think you can expect a few offers in the range you are looking. Although I've only been looking for a month or so, it's clear to me that there's a whole spectrum of cars available to you within your indicated budget. Keep an eye on this board as well as Exchange and Mart, Auto Trader as well as Franchised dealers ( where supprisingly you can get good value if work hard!) Good luck.

Obviously I cant comment on running costs, as I've not picked mine up yet :( ...... roll on next week :lol:

BrownBear
29-06-2005, 10:17 AM
I'd guess it depends on what needs doing on your scheduled services-

For 6000 mile pa, budget for a set of tyres (~450) and a service (~300-~750 depending on work required). They do about 25 mpg too, which is handy.

I do about 4500 miles pa and spend <2500 pa inc insurance, petrol etc to keep it on the road. The depreciation is quite low as well if you're buying a sub-20K car, so when you come to sell it you won't lose too much. It'd be cheaper than an XK8 to run, I'd imagine..

Best top tip I can think of is to put them on a ramp and look under the car. They never drive the same after a smash, so look for a rippled floor, bent suspension etc. Service history is important, mileage less so.

Check out the FAQ on http://www.nsxprime.com also for model info, hints and tips etc

K24XPL
20-07-2005, 06:02 PM
would be willing to bet a good amount that an NSX would be cheaper to run than a Jag XK8

some more points:

In favour of NSX:

* Honda servicing is cheaper than Jag.

* Honda is more reliable than Jag.

* Tyres for the NSX are likely to be cheaper than the Jag

* Jag XKs are common - whereas the NSX is a little exclusive

* Out handles Jag

* NSX DOES NOT use Ford Mondeo interior parts

In favour of Jag:

* Has back seats (never mind that you will have to amputate the legs of anyone that would like to actually use them)

* Includes free 'arthur daly' image