PDA

View Full Version : PAS to non-PAS?

ram
25-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Anyone know if the later PAS steering gear can be retro fitted to the earlier (and better) non-PAS set up?

Should in theory, but not looked into it as yet. Wonder if Mark J. from Dali knows.....

RAM

ctrlaltdelboy
27-02-2004, 03:59 PM
unless you have an illness or disability meaning your arms are weaker than normal, why would you want this?

ram
28-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Sorry Darren :oops: , meant 'BY' rather than 'TO', ie. replace the PAS with non-PAS, as the elec PAS is "slow" by all accounts & spoils the handling.....

Kevin
29-02-2004, 10:23 AM
I don't know if the number of turns lock to lock is the same or not between PAS and non-PAS cars. I had a chance to drive a TVR (Cerbera) on the track yesterday, and that had very quick steering, quicker than my non-PAS NSX. If the number of turns is the same, then I guess you'll get the same slow steering feel. I never really realised the NSX had slow steering until I drove the TVR, which has PAS.

I was basically turning the wheel half as much as I do in the NSX.

I believe the PAS racks have a variable ratio around the centre, which may explain the slower-ness of the PAS rack.

ctrlaltdelboy
29-02-2004, 10:54 AM
aaah :idea:

now I get it - sorry, misunderstood you first time round!

Darren

ram
29-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Looking at the NSX Service Manual, there appears to be a steering pos'n sensor in the steering whl on the PAS versions (cord/reel). Believe this is linked with the variable rate of the PAS - assume it knows if you are turning in hard. I expect this is just a signal to the elec motor, so disconnection wouldn't be an issue, unless there is some sort of tie-in with signals on the CAN bus (ie. turning in hard at speed, or slow)? (not an expert in this area I'm afraid....).

Would tempt me back to another, newer NSX if it were poss though. (never driven with PAS so may not be a big issue, though really enjoyed the direct feel of my '91)