PDA

View Full Version : Bucket with Grit Guard

11-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Hi,

Does anybody know where I could buy a bucket with grit guard? I have recently been educated by my mates (actually grilled for washing my car completely wrong)

I am in Birmingham and was wondering if there are any shops that sell them locally, as opposed to using the internet.

Cheers,

Andy

AR
11-02-2009, 03:45 PM
It is better IMHO to use two buckets, one for the soap and one to rinse the sponge/mitten before dipping it in the soap.

Cheaper too!

Cheers,

AR

simonprelude
11-02-2009, 03:55 PM
I know of people that use the 2 bucket method and grit guards.

Personally I'm too scared of damaging my paintwork so don't wash it ;)

11-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah thats was part of the advice I was given too :) but definitely the two bucket grit guard method with a deep pile lambs wool mitten, one for top half one for bottomw half.........I have diverted on to a very slippery slope of entering into this 'new realm' of cleaning..........

Cheers,

Andy

AR
11-02-2009, 05:49 PM
I usually just give it a balst ( from a safe distance ) with the jetwash, then a foam wash with the jetwash and a final wash. Then I use the aircompressor to blast the water off and some microfiber for final drying.

Papalazarou
11-02-2009, 06:49 PM
washing a car properly is a major pain in the girl tail! If you listen to the 'detailers' you should use the two bucket approach with grid and kitten, sorry mitten. You should only wash small areas at a time and when you dry the car you should use a 'micro-fibre absorbent cloth which you lay on the wet area and lift off rather than just wiping the water off the car. This is because 'according to some people' this may scratch your paintwork.

My experience of washing cars is that you can use part of the approach above and get the same results without the prolonged effort.

The aim of washing is obviously to damage the paintwork as little as possible when removing the dirt.

First, I would suggest washing out the wash mit and shammy thoroughly.

Then use a pressure washer to remove most of the dirt, that will obviously reduce the chance of dragging grit over the bodywork.

Then the two bucket thing does work as most of the dirt left on the car will hopefully end up in the dirty bucket.

Obviously start from the top of the car and methodically work down doing the wheels separately with a different mit or sponge even.

Then pressure wash off (When pressure washing, be careful not to spray to hard to low, as this may coat the lower part of the car in grit from the floor) and remove the water with a synthetic shammy or micro fibre cloth if it turns you on!

Removing the water should be done sympathetically i.e, do not scrub!

My take on this is that if you've washed the car properly i.e;
pressure wash + wash + pressure wash, there won't be any dirt left on the car for you to shammy into the paintwork. Hence, lay the shammy down in sections and remove carefully if you want but I don't feel it's essential.

Cheers,

James.

12-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the advice....there have been articles i have read that said you cant pressure wash......some say it pushes grit across the paintwork....you should use a gentle flow off water that runs along the car.

I will be buying all this stuff as soon as and try it within the next few weeks to see how this is gonna turn out....gonna be interesting to see if i need to start at teh crack of dawn till evening :)

Cheers,

Andy

Papalazarou
12-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the advice....there have been articles i have read that said you cant pressure wash......some say it pushes grit across the paintwork....you should use a gentle flow off water that runs along the car.

Andy

Some of these 'detailers' should be taken out and shot! They've made car cleaning into a black art which for many has taken the fun out of the cleaning process.
Cynically, I wonder whether this is a way of getting five to eight hundred pounds a valet!

A gentle flow of water isn't going to remove very much dirt. However, a high power jet wash can potentially remove paint.
I can't see anything wrong with using a presure washer at a mid intensity, just stand further away!

The most important thing is to be clean and methodical in every part of the process, i.e; clean water, clean wash mit and shammy (or shammy substitute), a sympathetic washing approach and clean polishing cloths.

Whilst we're on the subject, the worst culprits of misinformation are the forum experts! If you listen to them, you'll be using about five different cleansers and polishes to finish your car and it'll take 3 days!

sorry about the rant, I just hate the way that detailers make things overcomplicated in order to justify their high prices and it just seemed like a good opportunity
to have a bitch;-)

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
12-02-2009, 11:21 PM
.......... and when you dry the car you should use a 'micro-fibre absorbent cloth which you lay on the wet area and lift off rather than just wiping the water off the car. This is because 'according to some people' this may scratch your paintwork.

Well I do agree with most of James' rant about the black art and ££revenue support.

However, one thing I can report back on (and thankfully this was on my daily not the NSX) is the highlighted text above. After only 4 or 5 washes and the lay and wipe with the towel, and my nice fairly new paint work looked like it had been polished by Torvil & Dean!!!!!! :eek: A few hours with the rotary and its restored, but a definate lesson learned ... if using micro-fibre towel/cloths.... lay and LIFT, do not wipe.

regards, Paul

Lankstarr
13-02-2009, 07:02 AM
What's the view on Blades being used to get the majority of water off once it's been cleaned?

L*

Senninha
13-02-2009, 08:56 AM
What's the view on Blades being used to get the majority of water off once it's been cleaned?

L*

DONT DO IT!!!!!!

That can/will give more damage to your paint than a b****y car wash high speed brush!

The only place to safely use the blades are on glass.

regards, Paul

WhyOne?
13-02-2009, 09:14 AM
i agree with Paul regarding blades - OK(ish) on glass, but that is about it.

The fundamental rule of car washing is very simple - touch the car as little as possible!

Dragging anything across the paintwork always has the potential to scratch, no matter how careful you think you have been in removing all dirt / grit.

13-02-2009, 05:40 PM
It is nice to see that i am not alone.....I think I will decide how to clean it...sensibly rather than what i first said.....that means i would have more time to drive it then to clean it which i think is defintiely the better option :)

Cheers,

Andy

NSXGB
13-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Have you tried the auction site for a bucket with a grit guard?

AR
13-02-2009, 06:32 PM
All this talk I ended up spending over 3 hrs washing my Landcruiser and while at it I machined polished the bonnet and wings. i followed it with a polish and a wax!

The NSX was happy in the garage since it had a good Zymoling not long ago.

What ever you do, don't forget that every so often you will need paint due to stonechips or else, so don't drive yourself mad over it.

Have you seen the muppets they have at Honda dealerships washing the cars...they also wash the new cars.

Follow the above advice as best and as parctical as possible, and you should be OK.

Cheers,

Ary

WhyOne?
13-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Have you seen the muppets they have at Honda dealerships washing the cars...they also wash the new cars.

Oh my word yes!!!!!

Which is why I never have my car washed when it goes in for a service. I dont even have to ask my service dept any more - they know & (at least pretend to) understand my concerns.

I saw a brand new S2000 in the Newton Honda showroom a couple of years ago - the paintwork was swirled to hell & back!!!!