PDA

View Full Version : Door panel, Deep red Alcantara and new Handle

mutley
05-02-2009, 09:58 PM
HI all,

Some will rememer that a while ago, I was fed up with the all black leather interior, so opted for red suede to brighten it up. The OEM leather in earlier cars has a "ruffled" look and I didn't like that, but when I re-done the door panels, I just put the new stuff over the old and the ruffles remained.

Anyhoo, I wasn't too keen on the colour OR the ruffles, so while I was changing the door handles, I got some nice foam backed, dark red Alcantara and re-done the door panels properly, and went for the smooth look.

Here is a pic. When I install into the car I'll take another pic.

Jim

Kevin
05-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Where did you get the foam backed material from?

mutley
05-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Hi Kevin,

It was an Ebay shop, It's real Alcantara with 5mm foam backing. Makes life a lot easier with the foam already on it. I wish I had bought more at the time, as I think I have enough to do both doors and the centre arm rest, but that's about it.

Jim

TheSebringOne
05-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Looks great & neat Jim, in fact a bit Type R ish :thumbsup:

mutley
05-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks mate,

only thing, now that I have gone a darker door panel material,the speaker grill cloth looks too bright and out of place, so I'll be getting burgundy acoustic speaker cloth and re-doing that as well.

Jim

AR
05-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Well done Jim, looks well pimped. I often tought of doing the doorcards in black alcantara, but then I know me and I will probably alcantara the whole interior.

Big washers or an aly strip with JB weld will help with those tabs. :)

Cheers,

AR

AR
05-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Looks great & neat Jim, in fact a bit Type R ish :thumbsup:

That would be Type S ish.:)

mutley
05-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Well done Jim, looks well pimped. I often tought of doing the doorcards in black alcantara, but then I know me and I will probably alcantara the whole interior.

Big washers or an aly strip with JB weld will help with those tabs. :)

Cheers,

AR

Cheers for teh comments guys.
Ary, I was about to ask what you were on about but I guess you mean the broken door-screw hole tabs??

yeah I noticed that they were all broken the first time I had the door card off. Been pondering what to do about that, was even thinking about re-contructing the tabs out of fible glass.

Cheers
Jim

AR
05-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Cheers for teh comments guys.
Ary, I was about to ask what you were on about but I guess you mean the broken door-screw hole tabs??

yeah I noticed that they were all broken the first time I had the door card off. Been pondering what to do about that, was even thinking about re-contructing the tabs out of fible glass.

Cheers
Jim

Jim,

The best way IMO is to get fabricate some 1mm aly strips, drill some holes on the part that is going around the back for the Epoxy to grab, JB weld it and drill a new hole for the self tapper. Paint it balck if you wish, but is cover by the rubber anyways.

Or use a big washer! :)

Cheers,

Ary

mutley
05-02-2009, 11:36 PM
cheers mate but you have lost me at the JB weld thingy!!! I get the ali strips and epoxy bit.

Jim

Senninha
05-02-2009, 11:42 PM
............Anyhoo, I wasn't too keen on the colour OR the ruffles, so while I was changing the door handles, I got some nice foam backed, dark red Alcantara and re-done the door panels properly, and went for the smooth look...........

Jim

Hi Jim,

Looking good and a lot less 'pink' than the first job. Didn't you also do glove box and knee pad? Next will be to do the seat centre's :)

New handles look good too!

regards, Paul

AR
05-02-2009, 11:43 PM
cheers mate but you have lost me at the JB weld thingy!!! I get the ali strips and epoxy bit.

Jim

Sorry mate is similar to araldite but better, you can fix pretty much everything with it.

mutley
05-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Hi Jim,

Looking good and a lot less 'pink' than the first job. Didn't you also do glove box and knee pad? Next will be to do the seat centre's :)

New handles look good too!

regards, Paul

Cheers Paul, yeah and the material is a better quality too. I didn't do the glove box, just the little bit under in, and yes the knee pad too.

Not sure what to do with the seats, I think I'l keep them leather, easier to clean I think.

Jim

mutley
05-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Sorry mate is similar to araldite but better, you can fix pretty much everything with it.

Hmmmm interesting, I know some araldite can be pretty strong stuff. Might have to look into that sometime too

Jim

Silver Surfer
05-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Hi Jim,

Great job.

How much did it cost you in raw materials for the door cards and how long did it take?

SS

AR
05-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Cheers Paul, yeah and the material is a better quality too. I didn't do the glove box, just the little bit under in, and yes the knee pad too.

Not sure what to do with the seats, I think I'l keep them leather, easier to clean I think.

Jim

Jim,

You can do the cushions as in Luke's car.

mutley
05-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Hi Jim,

Great job.

How much did it cost you in raw materials for the door cards and how long did it take?

SS

I guess you mean not including the door handles and just the material. About £20 (material + postage) and as for the time, from removing the door card to completing the job, about half an hour.(per side)

Ary, yeah I know what you mean, I have seen Luke's seats, but I think I prefer full leather.
Jim

AR
06-02-2009, 12:38 AM
I guess you mean not including the door handles and just the material. About £20 (material + postage) and as for the time, from removing the door card to completing the job, about half an hour.(per side)

Ary, yeah I know what you mean, I have seen Luke's seats, but I think I prefer full leather.
Jim

I know what you mean Jim, alcantara is hard to keep clean.

Lankstarr
06-02-2009, 07:15 AM

Jim

I think the door card cover you use is a good match to my seats... is it still on ebay or did you save the seller so I can email them>? the door cards look the part:)

But your speaker is pink!