PDA

View Full Version : Side Lights - Combination Lamp Unit

neal78
04-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi,

My front side lights stopped working recently, Honda say it's a problem with the combination lamp unit and a new one is required. Does anyone know if the unit is repairable or if there is a second hand one for sale anywhere?

Thanks

NSXGB
04-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Not a lot to go wrong with them apart from a bit of corrosion in the bulb holder.

It's worth taking out and cleaning up by the sounds of it.

Sudesh
04-02-2009, 08:18 PM
I think Honda may be puling your leg there!

If your car is the pre-facelift then I assume your talking about the lamp that has the side light and indicators.

This lamp is plastic and other that housing the bulbs and reflecting light, it has no electrical or mechanical properties.

As NSXCB said, it could be some corrosion on the bulb's or bulb socket, which is an easy DIY inspection and you can clean it up yourself and test it quite easily.

Kaz-kzukNA1
04-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi, neal78.

Could you provide us with more information on your problem so that we can support you efficiently?

To start with, could you clarify the following?

My front side lights stopped working recently,....
When you say 'front side lights', are you refering to the Left photo which is the Front Side Turn Light Assy? Or, are you refering to the Right one that is the 'Front Combination Light (lamp) assy' as Honda mentioned to you?
4979 4980

I presume you are refering to the Right one. As Sudesh pointed out, facelifted model desn't have the separated combi light assy as the Right photo above.

If you are refering to the right photo above, then

..... stopped working recently,....
could you explain your problem in more detail?
For example, there are 2 light bulbs involved on both Front Right and Left Combi. asssy.
One for the small 'Position' light and the other one for the 'Turn' signal.

Are you having problem on both the 'Position' and the 'Turn' lights?
Are you having the same problem on both Front Right and Left Combination Light (lamp) Assys?

Any detailed information will help us in supporting you better.

Regards,
Kaz

neal78
05-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the responses. Yes, it's a non face-lifted car so I'm referring to the right photo and the problem is with both near and off side lights. As far as I know the indicators work ok, just not the position lights. Honda have looked at it and think it might just be the bulb, however as the screw has seized in the near side unit, it might require a new unit if they drill the screw and crack the plastic. I don't seem to be able to get a clear answer as to whether they've checked the bulb in the off side unit but they're going to take another look into it. It seems a bit coincidental that the bulbs in both units could have blown, is there any kind of link between the two so that if one bulb blows the other stops working?
Many thanks.

Hagasan
05-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the responses. Yes, it's a non face-lifted car so I'm referring to the right photo and the problem is with both near and off side lights. As far as I know the indicators work ok, just not the position lights. Honda have looked at it and think it might just be the bulb, however as the screw has seized in the near side unit, it might require a new unit if they drill the screw and crack the plastic. I don't seem to be able to get a clear answer as to whether they've checked the bulb in the off side unit but they're going to take another look into it. It seems a bit coincidental that the bulbs in both units could have blown, is there any kind of link between the two so that if one bulb blows the other stops working?
Many thanks.

Hi Neil,

this is kind of what bugs me with dealers (of all brands) as the just don't seem to be able to apply any lateral thinking!!

Recently I bought a set of HID's from Dan as well the matching 6000K sidelight bulbs. I had the same problem with the screws being seized.....Solution? Pop the headlights up with the button on the dash. Remove the plastic body coloured covers( four screws) , the headlight unit (four bolts) and you have access to the bulbs from behind!! It sounds involved but takes 10 mins each side. If both bulbs have gone it could be concidence, a blown fuse or perhaps the switch is playing up. If you were near me in Herts I'd gladly take a look for you....

If you get to the bulb holder from behind then you can put a multi-meter on it and test the switch function easily....or just fit a new bulb and it'll most probably work!

You don't need new lamp units even if the are stuck in place as there is nothing electrical "built" into them....

Hope this helps?

Gary

Kaz-kzukNA1
05-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi, neal78.

As Gary mentioned, you can access the light bulbs from the back. Just twist the socket anti-clockwise and pull it out.

Both position light bulbs are connected in parallel and not in series so even the light bulb on one side is dead, it won't affect the operation of the other side.

Checking the light bulb is the first thing to try. As they are connected in parallel, both light bulbs will be spending the same amount of time under the 'ON' status. After one side is dead, sooner or later, the other side will follow the same result. It is very unusual for both side to be dead exactly at the same time. However, it is possible that you simply didn't notice that one of them was dead until both of them were blown up.

If the light bulbs are fine, then following will help you in diagnosing the problem.
The simple circuit connection is as follows;

The Lighting Switch
|-- Tail Light Relay (inside the main fuse box under the bonnet)
|-- 15A Fuse A --Light for [License plate, Right Tail, etc AND both Front Right/Left position]
|
|
|-- 15A Fuse B --- Left Tail Light
So, when you turn the lighting switch to 'small' (1st) position and if you are getting the light at the license plate, Tail light, etc, your switch is fine.
The power line for the light at license plate, RIGHT Tail light and both of the Front Right/Left position light are shared at the fuse box inside the cockpit.
So, if you are experiencing the issue only at the front position light, you can narrow down the cause quite easily.

Regards,
Kaz

AR
05-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Solution? Pop the headlights up with the button on the dash. Remove the plastic body coloured covers( four screws) , the headlight unit (four bolts) and you have access to the bulbs from behind!! It sounds involved but takes 10 mins each side.

Gary,

When I was at teh bodyshop doing my wiring for 02 conversion, we went thru this to remove the headlights assembly. It was a ***t of a job as the screws were seized due to rust.

I hope that is not the case with Neal's.

With so much technology on the NSX is a shame that some parts were not made out of corrosion resistant material.

Cheers,

AR

BTW Kaz great post as usual!!!

Hagasan
05-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Gary,

When I was at teh bodyshop doing my wiring for 02 conversion, we went thru this to remove the headlights assembly. It was a ***t of a job as the screws were seized due to rust.

I hope that is not the case with Neal's.

With so much technology on the NSX is a shame that some parts were not made out of corrosion resistant material.

Cheers,

AR

BTW Kaz great post as usual!!!

Hi AR,

if you're referring to you screws being seized on the pop-up headlamp covers then I think the early cars had metal screws which were later changed to plastic? Mine is a 96 and the screws are plastic so no such difficulties. Something to be aware of course, not sure what year Neil's car is?

Cheers,

Gary

AR
05-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Hi AR,

if you're referring to you screws being seized on the pop-up headlamp covers then I think the early cars had metal screws which were later changed to plastic? Mine is a 96 and the screws are plastic so no such difficulties. Something to be aware of course, not sure what year Neil's car is?

Cheers,

Gary

I was getting confused as I was sure my 99 ones were plastic then this 93 were steel!

I don't think neal ever introduced himself or gave us any info on the car.

Hagasan
14-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi,

Many thanks.

All sorted now?