PDA

View Full Version : Well, i've finally bought one!!!!

Dave J
01-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Finally bought an NSX today :). After months of searching for the 'elusive bargain' i saw her on ebay and as luck had it the seller, Martyn, is a member of this forum and had also owned her for 8 years.
The car was better than described and the only fault, ABS, was clearly outlined......what a refreshing change! Martyn has to be rated as one of the most decent/honest people i've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Nothing seemed too much trouble for him and he even brought the car closer to me to save me from such a long journey to Kent.
I wasn't overly enthusiastic when i awoke this morning due to several hours of Stella abuse last night but i was really pleased when i saw the car. It seems spot on and was a real pleasure to drive the 100 miles back home. I'm impressed with how tight and positive she is even after 120k under her belt and everything works correctly! I find it strange after driving my RX7 as she has around 450bhp but then that was loud, uncomfortable and did around 4MPG when pushed hard...........i think i'll be happier with the NSX :D
The first thing i'll get done is a service and have the ABS pump looked at by my mechanic, what oil would be best? Then i'll get her properly cleaned and polished and have the seats refurbed, a new exhaust / induction and wheels and she'll be there! I've got a gorgeous set of Veilside split rims at my unit, i'm hoping these'll be the correct offset but i'll check first as i don't want to ruin the handling.
Lastly, many thanks to a few guys on here who have advised me about past cars i've been interested in........you know who you are :D.
Dave.

AR
01-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Congratulations Dave, it might not be a power monster but with some sensible mods the NSX can match many more powerful cars in the right hands and surpass them in poise.

TheSebringOne
01-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Congratulations Dave & welcome to NSXCB, we are a happy & helpful bunch! :) As for oil, the official Honda guide states 10W 30 but alot of people treat their P & J to full synthetic stuff. HAPPY VTEC driving.

Dave J
01-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the welcome :). I'm hoping to meet up with Ary soon as i'd like a second opinion, hopefully it'll be good!!
On the oil front i usually buy my oil from Texaco to use in my Subaru's and Evo's, it's a fully synthetic 5/40 oil that is used by Porsche, BMW and VW.........would this suit her ok? It's good quality oil but i don't use that in the GTR's as they are better suited to Silkolene Pro R.
Dave.

Silver Surfer
01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Silkolene Pro would do....usually get it from Opie oils when he does his special offer (includes free delivery if you buy enough).

SS

TheSebringOne
01-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Just checked car manual, 5W 30 is even better, so theres no harm putting better stuff in. Officially it states if the temperature never gets above freezing, then use 5W 30, but since is better than 10W 30, then its no probs. HTH

PeteM
02-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Just checked car manual, 5W 30 is even better, so theres no harm putting better stuff in. Officially it states if the temperature never gets above freezing, then use 5W 30, but since is better than 10W 30, then its no probs. HTH

Would you care to explain how 5W30 is better than 10W30 because you have completley lost me on that one !

AR
02-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Would you care to explain how 5W30 is better than 10W30 because you have completley lost me on that one !

Perhaps he meant it flows better.

I use 10W 40 which is what Honda uses as 10W 30 is hard to get in the UK.

No matter what people tell you the fact is that a 5 or 0 weight will be really thin on start up, and I am not that sure that that would be that great for 100K plus engines.

Just my 2p.

AR

Martyn27_uk
02-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Dave. The money's all there and it's all real :-)

I've clicked the eBay "Payment Received" button. So that's the deal closed and thanks for the +ve feedback.

I'm glad you're pleased with K20.. if you hadn't turned up Heaven knows how I would have got her back home around the southern loop of the M25 last night!!

All the best,

markdas
02-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Dave, welcome and well done on a great purchase, the NSX still does it for me....sometimes have to do the pinch test!

As for oil.....best thing to do is read the Oilmans threads on here or many other forums - Guy at Opie Oils knows his stuff and can lament for hours.

Like SS I like Silkolene Pro S racing oil, use in my twin turbo GTO and its good. the 5w 10w debate could go on for hours.....

Enjoy your car!

Mark

Dave J
02-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Dave. The money's all there and it's all real :-)

I've clicked the eBay "Payment Received" button. So that's the deal closed and thanks for the +ve feedback.

I'm glad you're pleased with K20.. if you hadn't turned up Heaven knows how I would have got her back home around the southern loop of the M25 last night!!

All the best,

Many thanks for that Martyn! I know you were worried taking cash but as you now know it was good :D. Thanks again for everything especially bringing her so much closer to me, very much appreciated. I would have been more enthusiastic but i felt rather unwell, i did enjoy the drive home though!
Many thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome, i'll take a few pics and post them up when it stops snowing :)
Dave.

forumadmin
02-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Is now the time to say that we liked Martyn's car better when it was blue?

;)

PeteM
02-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Congratulations Dave with the purchase of the Nsx and welcome to the club.

Must say you got a bargin there and hopefully I will get to meet you and the car at some time, especially as you are sort of in my neck of the woods !

As Ar has already said I also use 10w 40, Magnatec 10w 40 is what Honda uk seem to put in everything and my old prelude managed to do 178k on the stuff with no problems so that's what I use in my Nsx.

5w 30 should not be used unless the Outside air Temperature never gets above freezing as per manual and on that note it is not better than 10W 30 just mearly more suitable for the engine in those extreme temperatures due to it's weight, viscosity etc etc.

Anyway hope you feel better soon and the snow clears so you can enjoy it.

Regards Pete.

Dave J
02-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Is now the time to say that we liked Martyn's car better when it was blue?

;)

Care to clarify????? Just rechecked my HPI account to check the colour????

Dave J
02-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks for that Pete, a little confused at the previous comment by 'forumadmin' about the car being blue??? Does he/she know something that a HPI goldcheck doesn't????

PeteM
02-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Nope don't worry he's probably just pulling your leg, Admin Humour. :)

simonprelude
02-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Nope don't worry he's probably just pulling your leg, Admin Humour. :)

Hence the ;)

:)

Dave J
02-02-2009, 08:02 PM
:) swine!! One nil to to forumadmin i guess, i even HPI'd it again and went right through the history :):):)
Dave.

TheSebringOne
02-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Pete, sorry for the confusion! I thought the lower the first number the better, ie Mobil 1 at 0W 40 is one of the best FS oil in the world, so thought 5W 30 was better than 10W 40? (maybe where it never goes above freezing point) But the 2nd number of 40 is the most important part for the NSX. It seems most suitable SS are 10W 40 or FS 0W 40 or 5W 40. :)

Senninha
02-02-2009, 11:23 PM
It seems most suitable SS are 10W 40 or FS 0W 40 or 5W 40. :)

There you go Dave, pick any combo you like, but on the advise of someone who knows, and for me that would be the guys at opie Oils (see vendor section) or at least those that already buy on their advise without issues.

As for the blue paint, it was a while ago and is under the yellow so wont show unless you polish it REALLY hard ... ;):D

Enjoy NSX ownership and I hope you put the next 70k on K20!

regards, Paul

Dave J
03-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Well, i'll get my polishing mop out as i'd love a yellow NSX :D. Some good oil advice and as mentioed she is a high miler so on everyone's advice i'll give Opie oils a call. I keep forgetting i have a trade account with them and they are extremely helpfull with advice.
I was going to take her for a drive today but it's a little too snowy so i'll go to my unit in my trusty van as i don't mind if someone hits that :) I've been looking at different rear spoiler but the one's i liked are around £1k to £1.5k each :eek: Does anyone know of a slightly more reasonable source?
Dave.

Kevin
03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Oh dear, don't be asking for suppliers with reasonable prices right now.

Next time I see the pesky Forumadmin, I'll give him a kick in the backside for scaring you like that.

Just for info, a 10w30 and 5w30 and 0w30, even a 30w30 oil are all the same thickness at operating temperature. The lower the W number the thinner it will be when you go to start the car, to get the oil flowing quickly around a cold engine.

A 10w40 will be a thicker than a 10w30 at operating temps. I use a 5w40 full PAO synth (as opposed to cheap synths) as I track the car and it runs at higher than normal oil temps.

Senninha
03-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi Dave,

Try these guys http://downforce.biz/cart/product.php?productid=16211&cat=268&page=1

I have their rear DF-R spoiler shown in the photos. Its been on my car for almost 3 yrs with no signs of ageing, cracking or any other such horror stories.

Mine is the CF finish but you can have plain for painting or finished in black to match your roof

Theres a good team at DF and I've bought several items from them.

regards, Paul

Dave J
03-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Beat him for me Kev! Thanks for the link Paul, that spoiler looks just the job in CF, shame the £ is so weak at the moment :(
Dave.

Kevin
03-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Beat him for me Kev!
Dave.

If it wasn't for the fact he knows how all this web software works, we should of thrown him out ages ago.

Sudesh
03-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Congrats Dave and welcome to the club!! Get some photos up when you can. :thumbsup:

Senninha
03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Beat him for me Kev! Thanks for the link Paul, that spoiler looks just the job in CF, shame the £ is so weak at the moment :(
Dave.

Here's another option http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113382 :)

Dave J
03-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Here's another option http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113382 :)
Thanks for that, i've just joined up on the site, emailed the seller and saw several things i never knew i needed to buy until now :D

AR
03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for that, i've just joined up on the site, emailed the seller and saw several things i never knew i needed to buy until now :D

Dave,

You might want to pick up a new rear valance. If you look for pictures of Paul's car ( S2 ) you can see that it really completes the look.

A word of advice, pay with a credit card and speak to sellers on the phone. After a bad experience on Prime I lost almost a £ 1000.00 total on a $hiot set of lights and Paypal would not refund as I received "something", it could have been a turd in cling film and Paypal would have protected the seller.

Good luck on the purchase.

Cheers,

AR

Dave J
03-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi Ary, good point mate. It's probably better to buy in the UK as at least i can visit the seller if my goods don't arrive. I pop the car down to show you as soon as the snow clears!
Dave.

Martyn27_uk
04-02-2009, 03:04 PM
I painted the driver's side yellow and the nearside blue to confuse policemen interviewing eye-witnesses

[ Joke copyright Victor Lewis-Smith circa 1988 ]

If you look carefully at the pix on the eBay ad you can JUST see the join :-)

NSXGB
04-02-2009, 04:03 PM
If you look carefully at the pix on the eBay ad you can JUST see the join :-)

Which one? ;)

Martyn27_uk
04-02-2009, 04:11 PM
"We are talking Jape of the Decade. We are talking April, May, June, July AND August Fool"

( Red Dwarf s2, 'Queeb' )

AR
04-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Poor Dave must be chewing his nails.

Dave J
04-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Poor Dave must be chewing his nails.

I'm not scared of bullies :).
Dave.

TheQuietOne
04-02-2009, 11:50 PM
The great thing about that car is it has a claim to fame. It's not all of us who can say our car was used in training sessions at Honda UK to show how well aluminium can be welded back together after a rear impact! ;)

Hagasan
05-02-2009, 11:11 AM
The great thing about that car is it has a claim to fame. It's not all of us who can say our car was used in training sessions at Honda UK to show how well aluminium can be welded back together after a rear impact! ;)

There really is a car kicking around that was used along thoses lines.....Sold in recent times as well...

AR
05-02-2009, 02:23 PM
There are many special NSXs out there. :)

Dave J
07-02-2009, 07:13 PM
I finally got to take out my new baby for a spin today, it's sat on the drive for nearly a week covered in snow. I had to take my time bringing her home last week due to my hangover and the mrs was following and doesn't like going too fast.
First impressions were ok, excellent driver visability (from the front) and very comfortable. Power is a lot lower than i'm used to and i have to admit that for the first hour of driving around town i thought i'd sell it on and go back to something more powerfull. My last few cars were a 640BHP R32 GTR, then an 800BHP R33 GTR then a 450BHP RX7 so it's a little unfair to try to compare with those.
Then i took her down the motorway and she redeemed herself! Driving her right through the rev range she's superb! We quickly hit the national speed limit and it was nice and quiet and my petrol gauge didn't drop like a stone........what a nice change!! My RX7 would achieve around 4MPG when driven hard, it was also loud and uncomfortable so i guess i'll keep the NSX for a while now :).
She desparately needs a good wash & polish so i'll get on with that first thing in the morning and i'm also going to fit some new number plates as the old ones look a little tired.
Dave.

TheSebringOne
07-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Dave, congrats! I thought you had made the wrong purchase, when your first impressions was just " ok" , then later redeemed itself and you are alot happier! I know she down on power quite alot compared to your previous cars, but " power is nothing without control". In fact when the weather improves and you take her down more challenging roads, the handling will also proved you've made the correct choice. :)

Dave J
07-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Dave, congrats! I thought you had made the wrong purchase, when your first impressions was just " ok" , then later redeemed itself and you are alot happier! I know she down on power quite alot compared to your previous cars, but " power is nothing without control". In fact when the weather improves and you take her down more challenging roads, the handling will also proved you've made the correct choice. :)

Yes the power without control bit is very true! The other cars obviously had big single turbos and would spin the wheels easily in pretty much every gear, not always handy on a bend! I did think i'd made a mistake but i'm pleased to say i'm more than happy now :)
dave.

AR
07-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Dave as soon as you have a safe place try the car with TCS off, is a different car.

Glad that you are enjoying yourself.

Cheers,

AR

dan the man
08-02-2009, 04:26 PM
all the best with ownership, an amazing feeling :)

If u want to recorrect the paint i know a very good sprayer.

Ewan
08-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Good to hear you're warming up to her, Dave :)

The day I picked mine up from the previous owner at his home in Woodstock, I went for a couple of hours' drive into Oxfordshire (with no idea where I was or was going), and it hit me right away that the mid-corner balance was a thing apart; I don't think you even need to drive the car fast to enjoy it - unlike a lot of truly "fast" cars, which feel like they're being held on a leash...

Once you get Mr Larini installed, maybe it will help you smile :)

Low Flyer
08-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Yes indeed, welcome, Dave. You'll find that the NSX is a rewarding car to drive. I tend to compare it to flying my much-lamented P51---The Mustang. Very quickly you will feel part of the machine as it will never cease to inspire confidence, much the same as riding a great horse must be. The lighting for the centre consul is pathetic in bright sunlight, or with the driving lights engaged, but that's a minor gripe. J.C.

AR
08-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Once you get Mr Larini installed, maybe it will help you smile :)

Dave came over my house today and he was already smiling.

I am sure he will smile even more with a louder exhaust.

Really nice guy and a really nice car, he did not get a bargain, he stole it LOL!

Cheers,

AR

Dave J
08-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Many thanks for the warm welcome everyone, it is very much appreciated!! I called in to see Ary this evening to have an expert once over on my car and to have a look at his fab NSX. I was pleased with his diagnosis that she's a decent car but after looking at Ary's car i soon realised she could be much nicer! I'm really looking forwards to a louder exhaust, wheels, induction, carbon bonnet etc etc etc :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Many thanks again for your time Ary, it was very kind of you to spend the time with someone you've never met before.
Dave.

AR
08-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Nice to have meat another owner. I am far from an expert mate, but I've seen my fair share of these beasts, :) and yours is a really nice and solid car.